The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 13th, 2013, 10:54 PM
ShinyUmbreon189
F U C K PC! WAY TOO STRICT!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to ShinyUmbreon189
There is no "age restriction" for Pokemon. Tho I think the anime is kinda childish but the games are challenging, fun, and addicting at the same time. The games have situations too complex for a child to understand. There's math and tots of strategy involved if you're training "properly" especially when it comes to EV training. I'm 21 years old and far from the nerdy type. Pokemon is the only "anime" that I really follow with the games.
Old April 13th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Katie_Q
Pokemon master in the making

Nature: Jolly
17, soon to be 18. Playing the games since 8, watching the anime basically for as long as I remember
Old April 14th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Tosha
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Yahoo to Tosha Send a message via Skype™ to Tosha
I agree for what u have said ShinyUmbreon189, there is no restrictions on what age u r. I just turned 24 last week, and I'm still a pokemon geek.
Old April 14th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Aurora
Court Jester

Nature: Mild
Send a message via Skype™ to Aurora
Pokemon shouldn't have the age stigma it has. While I'm of the opinion that the anime is very shallow and childish (it's not very complex and I find there's little character development that isn't pathetically soppy and cheesy), the actual games themselves -- particularly competitive Pokemon -- are for anyone of any age. It's quite difficult and requires careful planning to obtain all Pokemon legally, from an in-game perspective, and from a competitive perspective, there's a lot of interesting mathematics involved in a variety of things such as damage calculation. As well as this, reasoning and decision skills are needed to succeed in (or at least properly play) competitive Pokemon.

The idea of an age restriction is just silly and another unneeded branch of societal perception.

server modblogmy lovely pair <3 • suggest something to put here
Old April 14th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Olli

Honestly, I think the majority of the people that play nowadays, are the ones who grew up with it, and continued to love the games. I'm pretty sure Pokemon was at its peak around the second generation, and thus most people who play the games should be in their teens or adults, which seems to add up with the members of the Pokemon forums around. It could be that most of the younger players just simply don't know or don't care about forums, but I'm pretty sure it's mainly because Pokemon is getting kinda outdated. RPG's aren't generally that popular anymore, and more and more children are seemingly beginning to play FPS games and the likes, which kinda pushes games like Pokemon to the side. It's kinda weird, considering the games are targeted at the younger players, but it just doesn't seem to be those people who play them anymore :(

Personally, I've been playing the games since I was around 3 years old, and I'm guessing the reason I still enjoy them, is because Pokemon was one of the better games you could get at the time, and the experience wouldn't be as shallow as if the people had played the current time's modern games first.
Old April 14th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.

Nature: Naughty
I'm 21, although I've been a fan of pokemon since the original series came out.
Old April 14th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Jake♫
« Allons-y »

Nature: Lax
DIE SOMNIAC!

I'm 20, and have been playing since they came out!

Old April 14th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to #18
I'm 25, 26 this summer. Probably one of the older people on here maybe ;x But I love Pokemon & it is what it is lol.

❤ 18
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:26 AM
Shadowraze
Vaas Montenegro

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
I'll be 14 this 28.

I started playing Pokemon when I was 6 stopped when I was around 8-10 and back again now.

Old April 16th, 2013, 04:15 AM
CMPUNK1
Unhatched Egg

23 going on 24 male from the UK. Like Pokemon ever since I watched the episodes on Sky at my friends house and was memorised by it. I then saw a kid playing it on his gameboy at school and the cartridge was bright red and thought I have got to get that. I then wen to the cinema to watch the first movie with my dad and got a free Dragonite card and my dad feel asleep out of boredom.

Ever since then I have binged on Pokemon I played Red(obsessed)>>>>>Gold>>>>>>>>Ruby and then sporadically as I have grown up watched episodes. I have just re-bought a Nintendo DSiXL just to catch up and start playing Pokemon again.

Im kind of glad to been born in the generation I was born in because we are a nostalgic era who aren't afraid to like things we like regardless if they were initially aimed at kids. It would be boring if we ended up like out parents and suspect we could have a lot of OAP Pokemon fans when we are older.

Was just thinking this question yesterday.
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:28 AM
CrowSvenson
DarkTrainer

Nature: Lonely
21, but me and my grandfather have been playing them since he got japanese Red and Green, SO many years ago. Good times.
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:57 AM
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

I turn 19 tomorrow. Not sure how old I was when I began playing, but I was pretty little, Red was my first game.
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:54 AM
voltianqueen
WITH SEAWATER

Nature: Relaxed
I'm 19, and I got into Pokemon when I was around 5-6. I didn't get a game until the Christmas Gold and Silver came out (I picked Silver), mostly because I did not know Red and Blue existed! If I had, I probably would have begged lol.

My best friends are 20 and 24 and we all like to play and buy the new games immediately and stuff :3
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:06 AM
BakingBluePotatoe
I would DIE for anything red.

Nature: Brave
I've been a fan of the TCG since I was a little kid, but I never got a chance to actually PLAY it until I got to high school almost 4 years ago now... I've been wanting to play the videogames at LEAST since FR&LG came out... that's the earliest I remember hearing of the games... then, I saw the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games and wanted Blue since I had no DS at the time.

I then got Sapphire for my BDay and was promptly disappointed because I wanted MYSTERY DUNGEON BLUE. But then I got over it and kept on playing and then was hooked. Then after I got my DS, I shortly after got Pearl shortly after it was released, after much pressure from my buddies. I would spend most of the summer in the city, in coffee shops and stuff since I only had dial-up in the countryside where I lived. I was even more obsessed.

Went through 2 DSes to play this game... I even got Firered just to get a Growlithe. I got Soulsilver, and Heartgold, just for both figs, later giving away HG as I hadn't played it. Got Platinum, mostly for the fig, did play it, later gave it away. I got White shortly after it came out. Later that year, my 2nd DS broke, so I was forced to take a break for... I don't remember.

Eventually I got another DS and kinda lost my touch when I got back in... but I still ought White 2, and Conquest, and never got around to them.

Could my fandom be fading? possibly, but even at 18, I'm still exited for new games, and Pokemon will always have a place in my heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowSvenson View Post
21, but me and my grandfather have been playing them since he got japanese Red and Green, SO many years ago. Good times.
your GRANDFATHER? That's pretty interesting.

;Wärme bringt Leben, Kälte Tod.;

Tausch mit mir?
Around
2208-5032-7062
NORMAL VIVILLON SET
Shiny Vivillon Set
Shiny Eeveelutions

Partner in Crime

deviantART

Old April 16th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Cassiopeiia
Floating

Nature: Bashful
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowSvenson View Post
Aww that sounds real cosy! Wish I had such a down-to-earth grandfather..

I am 18, have been playing since I was 6. It's amazing how the Pokémon games can be accessible to such young audiences and at the same time also offer the depth that it does. I can't picture myself ever growing out of Pokémon.
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:56 AM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
I'm 19 in the United States, and I've been playing since I was about 5 or 6 with Yellow Version being my first game. I saw the cards in my latch key, then watched the show, then got Yellow because it had Pikachu on it and I was a lot more familiar with Pikachu than Charizard or Blastoise so :p

I don't remember if I ever beat Yellow but I know I got Silver when that came out and I adored the hell out of that game, and I know for a fact that I beat that one.

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old April 16th, 2013, 12:01 PM
~RNC~
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Nature: Quirky
I won't tell my age but going by what every one in here has posted I'm the oldest of all of you, I have been into pokemon for about 12 years now.
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:13 PM
TheLaserLuke
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Mild
I've been playing since I was about 4. Im turning 18 in two weeks My cousin always had the pokemon games so I would play them!

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:31 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
Im 25. Been playing since it came out
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Amaura
The Tundra Pokemon

Send a message via Skype™ to Amaura
I'm 20, been playing since I was about.. 6 or 7, not sure exactly the age. I had Blue and my older brother had Red. Was a fun race to try and beat the game before him XD I remember flipping out whenever I first played the game and actually had a semi-decent understanding of what I was doing. Ahhhh good times :3

This ancient Pokémon was restored from part of its body that had been frozen in ice for over 100 million years.
Trade Thread3DS FCPair
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Navy Blue
Artist

Nature: Modest
Playing since 6-, 7-ish.
Watching since..[Error: Information not found].around birth-age, even.
Ah, my old days at playing Emerald.

Good day.
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Mαтт★H.
◆Bεlιενξ»

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Mαтт★H.
I'm 17 :ο

I've been playing the game since I was 8 or 9.

catacombninja
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:31 PM
rliberto2

I am 21 work at a law firm, getting my B.S. in law, planning on going to law school and might one day become an attorney. I will still play pokemon, and ensure you my kids will grow up with pokemon too!
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:56 PM
JohnnyJ773
Wanderer from Cianwood City

Nature: Modest
I'll be 28 in June, started playing at age 12 with Red and Yellow version. Played Gold and took a loong break and started back playing this year with Heart Gold, Black 1&2. And I will be getting Pokemon X.

BLACK 2 FC:1550-4719-5621HEART GOLD FC: 3483-2756-6167

Last edited by JohnnyJ773; April 17th, 2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old April 17th, 2013, 12:03 AM
KnightFerrocous
Unhatched Egg

I'm 18 and I've been playing for about 13 years. My friends who also play Pokemon are 21, 19 and 16. Everyone but the 16 year old grew up with it. He was introduced to Pokemon when I met him about 4 years ago. I haven't met anyone younger than about 12 who plays Pokemon and the only reason I met them was that there was a TCG tournament going on when I walked in to a local card shop.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links