The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 13th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southueki View Post
Anyone thought maybe "Newtwo" is a "fusion" between Mew and Mewtwo?

Like Kyurem and Zekrom/Reshiram.. His legs remind me of Mew's rather than Mewtwo's and his expression looks "softer" (not as cold or strong) than Mewtwo's, making it half-way between Mewtwo's expression and Mew's.

Or maybe I'm just seeing things where they don't exist o.o
That.

It's the Awakened Forme (best name we have) of Mewtwo. Mew has no involvement directly to our knowledge.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old April 13th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
It's not so surprising to find out Newtwo is a new form of Mewtwo, it was either that or a new standalone Pokèmon with ties to Mewtwo. I will admit though, I am slightly disappointed. I was really hoping they would have gone with the failed experiment route. It would have just seemed a bit more organic than the idea of Mewtwo "awakening with its new shape". Although, that could just be for the movie.

Any guesses as to what the new form will be called? Mewtwo Awakened Form anyone?
Yeah, basically what I was thinking. I was hoping that if it was a new Pokemon, it would actually have something to do with the storyline of these new games, instead of just being something else Gamefreak can add on to their list of new features for XY.

Though maybe Mewtwo could be a part of the story, I'm just wondering why does it get a new form now?
Old April 13th, 2013, 11:59 AM
MantisboyN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapras* View Post
I'm just wondering why does it get a new form now?
I think they're trying to bring elements of the first generation back into the newer world of Pokemon. In the past they've done evolutionary things (and they're doing that here as well (at least with ninfeon)) but adding a new Mewtwo form would be an easy link to gen 1. It brings a new kind of novelty to a very old Pokemon.

I'm not 100% happy with the new look. Somehow, attaching his tail to the back of his head doesn't look right to me, so I hope this isn't just a cosmetic change. This forme will hopefully bring an entirely different style of play to Mewtwo.
Old April 13th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Going with the whole "X/Y are going to be about DNA" thing, and seeing as Mewtwo's background was pretty much based on that, perhaps this new form would have it play more of a role within X/Y's story, of some sort? That's my theory, anyway.
Old April 13th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Going with the whole "X/Y are going to be about DNA" thing, and seeing as Mewtwo's background was pretty much based on that, perhaps this new form would have it play more of a role within X/Y's story, of some sort? That's my theory, anyway.
Its highly doubtful. Keldeo and the Kami played no part in the major story of B2W2. Mewtwo's new form is probably a post game achievement. I do not see Mewtwo being in the Pokedex since its just a form change.
Old April 13th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Its highly doubtful. Keldeo and the Kami played no part in the major story of B2W2. Mewtwo's new form is probably a post game achievement. I do not see Mewtwo being in the Pokedex since its just a form change.
Yeah, I kind of figured. Though I suppose the real reason why GF gave it a form change, no one would really know. >.> It would make sense (to me, at least) if you're going through the trouble to give a Pokemon an important form change and include them in a movie, that they would have at least a cameo of some sort in the games.
Old April 13th, 2013, 01:32 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Maybe Mewtwo will have a post game plot revolve around it...sort of like Heatran in DPP. Unless if it's like Kami trio's mirror to transform them, if so than I guess maybe we may get some backstory at least.
Old April 13th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I'm glad it's a forme, sorry gen 1 fanboys and girls. It doesn't make sense for it to replace Mewtwo on the movie poster and be a new Pokémon unless it completely annihilated Mewtwo...and then where would the "Mewtwo's Awakening" be if that happened?

Also, time for Fire Emblem references, teehee x3

I'm willing to bet that Mewtwo will have something in X and Y--remember the Celebi + Giovanni event, or the Arceus + Sinjoh Ruins event? That's something I'd love to see return, and I think Mewtwo and its new forme would be a great opportunity for such, going back to its origin story which is left fairly vague in the games.
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivvon View Post
I'm willing to bet that Mewtwo will have something in X and Y--remember the Celebi + Giovanni event, or the Arceus + Sinjoh Ruins event? That's something I'd love to see return, and I think Mewtwo and its new forme would be a great opportunity for such, going back to its origin story which is left fairly vague in the games.
This right here. I doubt Mewtwo or its new form will have much influence on the games' large plot, but if it can at least have a small side event in-game like Rivvon mentioned here, I'd love to see that happen again. If there was any time to shed some new light on Mewtwo's history in the games and actually go into detail about it, then this would be the prime chance to do it.
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:49 PM
voicerocker
Psyduck

I'm questioning why people want to know more about Mewtwo's backstory when it is one of the most well known backstories already. Mewtwo is a Mew clone, enhanced to be even more powerful, possibly to be the strongest Pokemon ever. Its anger set it off and it destroyed the Cinnabar Island Lab, and flew off to hide in Cerulean Cave. I'm not really sure what else they could add that would make it relevant to being a stronger Mew clone or explain why it suddenly gained a new form after years of not having one.

Pokemon White 2 Team:
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Community Supporter

A lot of it's backstory we know is anime based though, it's only been implied in games, it'll be nice to know who was behind Mewtwo in the games.
Old April 13th, 2013, 03:15 PM
voicerocker
Psyduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
A lot of it's backstory we know is anime based though, it's only been implied in games, it'll be nice to know who was behind Mewtwo in the games.
I feel like assuming Team Rocket was behind it is enough. Mewtwo was also tied to Team Rocket in some of the manga as well, so it stands to reason that Team Rocket was behind Mewtwo in the games as well. (And Giovanni's interest in Silph Co. can be assumed to have been for the Master Ball to capture Mewtwo) They may not have directly stated any of this in the games, but I don't think it's too out there to make those connections based on the info left in the games, as well as events from the manga and anime.

Pokemon White 2 Team:
Old April 13th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Community Supporter

I think those Manga based their Mewtwo story off the anime's...without the anime story they'll not really have much to go by...thus why we sort of need more backstory.
Old April 13th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Yeah, I kind of figured. Though I suppose the real reason why GF gave it a form change, no one would really know. >.> It would make sense (to me, at least) if you're going through the trouble to give a Pokemon an important form change and include them in a movie, that they would have at least a cameo of some sort in the games.
Keldeo didn't really have any cameo and his form change was advertised as a larger part for the movie than Kyurem's. Keldeo was more the main focus than Kyurem was, though they did that with Shaymin and Giratina too. Shaymin was an important part of the movie, got a new form just as Giratina did. Shaymin played no part in the bigger picture for Pokemon Platinum.

Just cause they are featured in the movie or get a new form doesn't mean they're playing a major role in the game. Based on the last two, since Giratina played a large role in Gen 4, Kyurem in Gen 5 and since this is the Gen 6 cross over movie, I don't see Mewtwo who was the second "lead" (same as Keldeo and Shaymin) getting any important role in Gen 6.
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Southueki
Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
That.

It's the Awakened Forme (best name we have) of Mewtwo. Mew has no involvement directly to our knowledge.

Cyclone
I know that, I was speculating.
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:56 PM
MarinoKadame

I guess we gonna get him from an event, and I don't even know if I will have that kind of event in my region...

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicerocker View Post
I feel like assuming Team Rocket was behind it is enough. Mewtwo was also tied to Team Rocket in some of the manga as well, so it stands to reason that Team Rocket was behind Mewtwo in the games as well. (And Giovanni's interest in Silph Co. can be assumed to have been for the Master Ball to capture Mewtwo) They may not have directly stated any of this in the games, but I don't think it's too out there to make those connections based on the info left in the games, as well as events from the manga and anime.
In the games Mewtwo is said to be a Mew that was birthed by another Mew, that was then genetically altered by Fuji into its current state, no cloning required. Any assumptions based on outside sources (the movies and manga are not the same canon as the games) are just that--assumptions. This would be a great opportunity to bring back special events and draw different/more specific connections than what the original games imply.
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:36 PM
voicerocker
Psyduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivvon View Post
In the games Mewtwo is said to be a Mew that was birthed by another Mew, that was then genetically altered by Fuji into its current state, no cloning required. Any assumptions based on outside sources (the movies and manga are not the same canon as the games) are just that--assumptions. This would be a great opportunity to bring back special events and draw different/more specific connections than what the original games imply.
Is it really that hard to accept those assumptions though? And why would they be building Mewtwo's story 17 years after it was introduced, after it has appeared in 2 separate movies about it? Is Team Rocket returning in X & Y? Also, will this lead to even more older Pokemon randomly getting forms/formes and changing their backstories suddenly?

Mewtwo had a backstory, but due to the limits in technology, it was presented in the only way they had: text. I don't really see anything suggesting Mewtwo didn't have a good enough story as it was considering Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres had absolutely no story at all.

Pokemon White 2 Team:
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicerocker View Post
Is it really that hard to accept those assumptions though? And why would they be building Mewtwo's story 17 years after it was introduced, after it has appeared in 2 separate movies about it? Is Team Rocket returning in X & Y? Also, will this lead to even more older Pokemon randomly getting forms/formes and changing their backstories suddenly?

Mewtwo had a backstory, but due to the limits in technology, it was presented in the only way they had: text. I don't really see anything suggesting Mewtwo didn't have a good enough story as it was considering Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres had absolutely no story at all.
The thing is, not everyone is going to just accept "it's this way in the anime and manga, so it must be the same in the games." If you do, that's fine, that's only to be expected when you're given something so vague. But that doesn't mean Game Freak can't go back and refine their original idea that was most likely interpreted differently for the movie.

As for building up his story 17 years after it was released: it's still one of their properties. Maybe they decided it would be a good idea to have something to appeal to older fans as opposed to something that is completely new (and I have met people who only played gen 1 and think the new forme is cool, so it can happen, if anyone wants to question that).

Team Rocket doesn't have to return because, again, there is no connection between those two in the games.

Pokémon may not need to "randomly" get forme changes and "change" their backstories, because this could act just as a solidification of it already-established story. All we know that is established of its in-game is what is told by the PokéDex and the Cinnabar Mansion journals. It's very vague, so by just having Game Freak potentially fill in those gaps doesn't mean they are changing it. And if it doesn't equate to what you or anyone else filled those gaps in with doesn't mean it is being changed; it means your interpretation wasn't exact with what Game Freak had in mind.
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:34 PM
CmdrEggnog

Meanwhile... Mew fades into oblivion...

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrEggnog View Post

No! Not my Mew! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

(Yeah, I know you're kidding. )

Mew hasn't had an in-game role since Emerald, which was on the GBA - the last game before the DS. It must show up sometime now that we're moving to the 3DS. At least, I hope so.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old April 14th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
No! Not my Mew! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

(Yeah, I know you're kidding. )

Mew hasn't had an in-game role since Emerald, which was on the GBA - the last game before the DS. It must show up sometime now that we're moving to the 3DS. At least, I hope so.

Cyclone
Mew didn't have an In game role in Emerald either. You can't get Mew without the Old Sea Chart which was Event only so its area doesn't exist in game until you get that item. All of the event only's are gunna stay event only if the trend continues.
Old April 14th, 2013, 04:42 PM
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrEggnog View Post

With the way Mew and Mewtwo are tied together, I have to think that Mew will be getting some attention.
Old April 14th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Mew didn't have an In game role in Emerald either. You can't get Mew without the Old Sea Chart which was Event only so its area doesn't exist in game until you get that item. All of the event only's are gunna stay event only if the trend continues.
You realize that's exactly the in-game "role" I speak of, yes?

Given how closely the pair is tied to genetics, it HAS to get a role. Think about it; maybe Mew comes from this region and got captured in Kanto!

Cyclone

Old April 14th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
You realize that's exactly the in-game "role" I speak of, yes?

Given how closely the pair is tied to genetics, it HAS to get a role. Think about it; maybe Mew comes from this region and got captured in Kanto!

Cyclone
It doesn't have to be in the game. Mew wasn't part of the original Pokedex design wise and wasn't meant to exist. It plays no major role in any game story and has always been event exclusive. Legends never have had any important roles outside of their generational games during the main story and only need to be present to activate other events in other games.

Mewtwo getting a new form is most likely going to run the exact same way that Keldeo's form change ran or even Shaymin's. If its by an item, then like with shaymin you have to have one in your party to collect the item. Which means we'll have to transfer Mewtwo from B/W/B2/W2 to X/Y in order to get the item since they are specifically giving out Mewtwo in B2W2. If we didn't have that download event then maybe he'd have had a chance to appear in my eyes, but since they are providing Mewtwo for us, there isn't much chance that either he or Mew will appear in the new games outside of events.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here