The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:53 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7

Advertise here
One thing I know a lot of people tend to do in Pokémon games if make sure all their Pokémon in their party are on the same level at certain points in the game. Whether it is after every gym, city or whatever. So do you do this? What intervals do you use? If you don't, do you think it's weird?

Discuss!
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Sven

Nature: Relaxed
No lol. I wouldn't be patient enough to do that. At the beginning I usually only have a starter, a bird Pokemon and a favo Pokemon you can get at the beginning on high levels. The rest are just for capturing other low levels. Later on the game, difference can get up to 20 levels so yeah. And no, I dont think it's weird.
For instance, I tend to have all male Pokemons ( except the ones like Clefairy etc), idk why, it's a habit lol
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:06 AM
mimimahboul
More than Awesome

Nature: Jolly
Well that's what I don't like about some pokemon fans, getting addicted to pokemon is WAY off.
Pokemon and all other games in the world were made to have fun, not to be serious about it.
I'm not saying training your Pokemon is bad, it's just that you shouldn't get addicted.
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Arlo

Yeah, I generally do this, and not just for a team, since I don't use the same team all the way through the game. I work out of a pool of pokemon and constantly rearrange. By late in the game, I might have 30 or 40 pokemon in that pool, and that many more that are on the second string and maybe going to get bumped up.

Before I do anything notable - generally either challenging a gym (or the E4) or going through a cave or such - I'll level everything I'm considering taking with me until they're all more or less the same level. It doesn't have to be exact, but it has to be close, because what I want to find out is which competing ones are better in which ways - who's faster or bulkier or stronger or whatever - and the only reasonable way to compare them is if they're at pretty much the same level. Plus, investing that much time into them gives me a much better idea of how they each perform.

For level, I pretty much just go along with the game. GF has gotten pretty good about consistent level curves, and since I rearrange my team to suit whatever I'm doing, I usually have type advantage, so I generally just level everyone important up to whatever the current highest level among them is, which is usually about the same level as what I'm currently fighting and a few levels lower than what's coming up, which is exactly where I want it. That gives me the challenge I want.
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Yeah, I'm really bad at this. Every time I challenge a gym, even if I'm only using one or two of my team at a time, I'll make sure that each and every member of my team is at the same level as those who will be used in the gym. It has its advantages, in that it means that going forward my team is evenly balanced to deal with future trainers. However, it's an absolutely drag to do, especially if there's one critter that's just so much weaker than the rest. But my OCD in this area is reeeeeeeeally strong, for some reason, and I can't see it changing any time soon.
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Cassino
katana-plonking spastic

No. And yes, I do find it strange that most players would do something so idiosyncratic.
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:37 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I am so bad when it comes to this. My Pokémon always need to be the same level. This is why all my Pokémon were on lv100 before the E4 when I was playing Platinum.
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Anna
"it has no brakes"
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I try to keep them at the same levels so I don't end up relying too much on one 'mon just being a powerhouse. And that way I have a wide range of available moves and strategies to use and can take major advantage of type matchups and phys/spec differences. Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would not try to keep their 'mon within like five levels of each other. It's kind of just... a simple, good strategy.

{ Pairs + Family }
{ Clubs + Theme }

Connection
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
Enjoyed reading every one's different opinion.

I don't do that - Level addict thing

Usually I have one "Leader" Pokemon who is about 8 to 10 levels higher than all others (most of the time the leader Pokemon is my favorite of the region - even if its the least favorite compare to many other Pokemon fans), then I have my back up to the leader, about 1 to 3 levels lowered than the leader, and the rest of the Pokemon about similar levels, around the same level as the gym leader I'm about to face, maybe 1 or 2 levels under or over the gym leader.

some items that help with levels:
My team leader usually has the Lucky Egg the longest.
The second in command usually has the Amulet Coin.
The rest of the Pokemon usually have an item that helps that certain Pokemon.
The Pokemon trailing behind I'll give it the Exp Share until it at least catches up to the rest.

When training my other Pokemon, I'll let them borrow the Lucky Egg and the leader will temporarily borrow the Exp Share, make him stronger even if not battling.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenge -
Random Challenge - 1/8 - game: X

Last edited by Playful_Weasel; April 9th, 2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: fixing typing errors and punctuation errors
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Radio Rebel
Be heard. Be strong. Be proud.

Nature: Timid
I do this; whenever a Pokémon levels up, I'll put a different one out front. I tend to level them up in the following order:

1. Pokémon that are close to evolving
2. Pokémon that are weak against the next gym
3. Pokémon that are strong against the next gym

This way everything evolves as soon as possible and I can solo a gym with one Pokémon without it becoming overleveled compared to the rest of the team.

YouTubeLast.fm ♦ Proud member of Geronimo! and The Rainbow Connection
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Kitori
[ ICE QUEEN ]
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
I'm not OCD about it or anything... but I do try to rotate my pokemon so they stay around the same level. I usually only play through the story with 3 pokemon, though, so it usually isn't something I have to go out of my way to do. If one pokemon starts to get a little higher than the others, I'll switch it out for one of the others for a while.

Let the storm rage on....
The cold never bothered me anyway.

[ TRADE THREAD | FRIEND CODE | TWITTER | CHALLENGE | PAIR♥]

Old April 9th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Stormborn
Indecisive

Yeah I'm guilty of this, although usually I end up having half my team at say 40 then half my team at 38.
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Sometimes I am a bit picky with my team, they often all have to be around the same level before I proceed to a certain area. I even stick a Lucky Egg on one team member if it is falling behind.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

on a leave of absence

Old April 9th, 2013, 08:03 PM
pokem0nprincess

Nature: Quirky
Yes, I absolutely have to do this. Especially for every gym. I don't have to have them at the same level of the gym leader's Pokemon, but they have to be close and all at the same level. And I always have to have super-effective Pokemon against a gym, not that that's related to this thread.
Blue - 4 badges
Yellow - 4 badges
Gold - 8 badges but no E4
LeafGreen - 8 badges, E4, Kanto Dex completed
FireRed- 8 badges & E4
Emerald - 8 badges & E4, most of dex complete
Diamond - 8 badges, E4, working on dex
Pearl - 8 badges, no E4 yet
SoulSilver - 16 badges, no Red, working on dex
White - 8 badges, no E4
Black 2 - 7 badges
X 8 badges, E4, working on dex
Old April 10th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I'm not one that needs to make sure that every Pokemon in my party is the exact same level, but I try to make sure that they're always within a 2-3 level gap. Not really because I care about what they're actual levels are, but if my Pokemon were to compete against each other, I wouldn't want one to be completely outmatching the other (minus weaknesses).
Old April 10th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
It's not so much that I want all my pokemon to be the same level....I just don't like to see a pokemon slip behind.

If they slip behind it gets harder and harder to justify sending them into battle against tougher enemies. Plus you never know when you might end up relying on them.

I would start feeling a bit uncomfortable if a pokemon on my team was 4 levels (or more) above the rest of my team.
Old April 10th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Kotowari
Will be back eventually
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Calm
I wonder why some of the comments have such a negative ring to them.

I don't consider it odd for all Pokémon to be in the same level range, it means that a team is balanced and prepared to take the challenge without favouring any.
Right now, in Black 2, all my Pokémon are level 51-52 (Right before Kyurem's "awakening"), which is just a nice coincidence of rotating Pokémon while training. This way I can focus on Type Advantage more than any other special stat, which is easier.
I don't have goals set for levels at certain intervals. Just this once when I started using Espeon, it was quite behind the others (about 13 levels). I trained it until it caught up.
So yeah, Equal Levels is currently my training schedule, but I'm not really OCD about it.

"We shall build a peaceful world... Just you and me..."
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
YES. All of my party pokemon need to be at the same level.

It evens out the team and you will be able to rely on each pokemon. Plus, I feel that it is unfair to have some at higher levels than others. Pokemon Equality! :D
Old April 10th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
I'm probably the god of this. Seriously. I spent 80h leveling Pokemon I don't even use to Level 55 in Leaf Green just so that they'd be the same level as my team. For no reason. Seriously.

Check this out.

Party Pokemon

Spoiler:
Dragonite Lv. 56
Arcanine Lv. 55
Alakazam Lv. 55
Gengar Lv. 55
Raichu Lv. 55
Lapras Lv. 56

Box Pokemon

Spoiler:
Aerodactyl Lv. 55
Articuno Lv. 55
Butterfree Lv. 55
Charizard Lv. 55
Clefable Lv. 55
Cloyster Lv. 55
Dewgong Lv. 55
Flareon Lv. 55
Golbat Lv. 55
Gyrados Lv. 55
Kabutops Lv. 55
Lickitung Lv. 55
Magmar Lv. 55
Mr. Mime Lv. 55
Nidoking Lv. 55
Nidoqueen Lv. 55
Ninetails Lv. 55
Persian Lv. 55
Pidgeot Lv. 55
Poliwrath Lv. 55
Rapidash Lv. 55
Rhydon Lv. 55
Sandslash Lv. 55
Seadra Lv. 55
Seaking Lv. 55
Snorlax Lv. 55
Starmie Lv. 55
Venomoth Lv. 55
Vileplume Lv. 55
Zapdos Lv. 55

Arbok Lv. 50
Dugtrio Lv. 50
Hitmonchan Lv. 50
Jigglypuff Lv. 50
Jynx Lv. 50
Kingler Lv. 50
Moltres Lv. 50
Primeape Lv. 50
Raticate Lv. 50

WIP

Spoiler:
Beedrill Lv. 37
Doduo Lv. 26
Exeggcute Lv. 23
Farfetch'd Lv. 46
Fearow Lv. 36
Pinsir Lv. 23
Slowbro Lv. 43
Weepingbell Lv. 37

imo only a crazy person has a Level 46 Farfetch'd and a Level 50 Jigglypuff in their box.

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Azure
» e l e c t r i c
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I always do this, on my Platinum team right now I'm about to take on Wake but my team has a couple of Level 32,s and the rest at 31 so in order to battle him I would first get the rest to 32, its just a habit.

Old April 11th, 2013, 06:33 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I'm guilty of doing this. I always want my team to be on the same level with each other so they can compete equally whenever I need them to. For example, My whole team is level 30 but my Charmeleon is level 28, it would be Charmeleon that would do all the battle untils he hits level 30.
Old April 11th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Skalla
Drama Queen

Nature: Sassy
I'm very guilty of keeping my team at a steady level. Many times in a playthrough I stop my progress to grind up my team until they're all even.

[/CENTER][/COLOR]
Is currently playing:
Wind Waker HD
The Wonderful 101
Pokemon Y

Old April 11th, 2013, 10:04 AM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
I try to keep my Pokémon of equal levels. The only times there is a Pokémon 4 to 5 levels higher than the other 5 (Usually only one Pokémon is in this state) is when I use it as a type advantage Pokémon for a gym. Then I try to avoid using him or her so the other 5 will slowly reach his level and they'll be equal again. Additionally, I can't stand seeing 2 or more Pokémon at level 12 while the rest are in their twenties. It just looks weird on the Pokémon menu screen. This always make me cringe when I have 4 Pokémon on my team at the time and I catch new wild Pokémon for the box.
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:44 PM
True Epicness
Magnificent Turnip

Heh, I always do this :p

Usually I'll level each Pokémon in my party 2 levels at a time, everyone being a maximum of 2 levels apart. Unless I have a priority Pokémon (usually the starter) that is around 2-4 levels ahead of the others. A little while into the game, though, I'll make the decision to have my priority settle with level equality amongst the team.

Generally I become a little more lax later on into the game, as training becomes far separated from normal battling. Later on, training is more lengthy and open to any member of the team, but normal battling will more-or-less always go with the type advantage.

Old April 12th, 2013, 07:40 AM
The Corrupt Plague
Missingno. hunter

Nature: Naughty
I do it all the time. Not level 40 or so like everyone else? Either grind your way up or sit out on some battles.

Credit goes to Team Brushfire for the awesome banner!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here