Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games
Reload this Page Video game developer questions

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Old April 11th, 2013 (02:33 AM).
Strong, Competitive, Cool!

Nature: Brave
(note: I don't know if it would fit anywhere else. It just didn't seem to fit anywhere else)

In the future, I want to be involed in the creation of video games. But I don't know which jobs are out there.

I know some of the bigger titles but I also want to know more sub catogory (particually in game designers). I know that there are programmers, game designers, level builders/editors.
(there are also more art related jobs but I ain't interested in them).

I know some of you are game makers (independant and communally), could you help me expand my knowledge?

(Also if you don't mind, could you leave me a link to a youtube video that focuses on coding using a notepad on windows. Thank you)
Old April 11th, 2013 (05:15 AM).
شكرا
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Honest
Moving this over to Video Games.

-moved.
Old April 11th, 2013 (09:15 PM). Edited April 12th, 2013 by Yankas.

This all depends on the scope of the game, large AAA-developers will have a lot more roles to fill from sound technicians and story writer to voice actors. While in a very small indie studio you may find that they have only one developer who does all kind of miscellaneous stuff and an artist (Team Meat is a notable example). You'll also likely find everything in between those extremes.
You'll also find that in larger projects a programmer is not just a programmer, you'll have game play developers, network developers, graphics programmers etc.

So the answer depends mostly on what you actually want to work on in video games.
Old April 12th, 2013 (12:33 AM). Edited April 12th, 2013 by MeerFall.

Quote originally posted by Bloodex:
Moving this over to Video Games.

-moved.

Thank you, sorry to bother you.

Quote originally posted by Yankas:
This all depends on the scope of the game, large AAA-developers will have a lot more roles to fill from sound technicians and story writer to voice actors. While in a very small indie studio you may find that they have only one developer who does all kind of miscellaneous stuff and an artist (Team Meat is a notable example). You'll also likely find everything in between those extremes.
You'll also find that in larger projects a programmer is just a programmer, you'll have game play developers, network developers, graphics programmers etc.

So the answer depends mostly on what you actually want to work on in video games.
Thanks for the info! I don't actually know what I want to work on but I probably get into smaller studios.
Old April 13th, 2013 (06:49 AM).
Ya'll Are Weird
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
Attend events like GDC (except not this year, even though it's over. Man what a mess) or ECGC, sign up for the IGDA, keep close tabs on or get involved in the Independant Games Festival, make some contacts on LinkedIn. If there's a GameJam in your area, and it's doing the 48 hour event? ATTEND.

Basically, that's all just for starters. The starter of starters.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old April 16th, 2013 (04:31 AM).

Quote originally posted by dbp:
Attend events like GDC (except not this year, even though it's over. Man what a mess) or ECGC, sign up for the IGDA, keep close tabs on or get involved in the Independant Games Festival, make some contacts on LinkedIn. If there's a GameJam in your area, and it's doing the 48 hour event? ATTEND.

Basically, that's all just for starters. The starter of starters.

Thank you for the advice!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)