The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 30th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Fairy
believe

Oh lol, maybe "Magmar" wasn't the right word. Mine's more.... Emolga only fire type. xD It's like a little pink thing. Ah, I'll just edit this with a picture later. :p But I promise that our designs won't overlap.

Considering we already have a winter Froslass, and I did Autumn.. that leaves only one more season if you did one too. So, yeah! We're almost done with that line anyway. n_n; I'll take whichever one you didn't do.

And wow. I just took a nice, close look at the sprite. 10/10. Are you planing on keeping that background?
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Ragnia
Hello

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfished View Post
Oh, I was about to do somehting on the line of that as well

And I'm giving up on the Froslass thing, but I do have the grass one sketched out. I'll upload it later today.

And since everyone decided to do sprites, I tried doing it myself:

Someone said 64x64, so I think that's what size it is right? This is also my first time spriting something. You can tell by all the awkward things going on in the sprite :D

Oh, and what other types are we missing? I want to attempt a Fire type, but I'll see what you come up with first so ours don't conflict
Wow Sunfished, I really like it! It's a really great job for your first sprite. Though, the only qualm I have with it is that the outline is solid black, but otherwise it really does look great. As Alexial said, 10/10!
Old June 30th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Charblade111

Are you looking for sprites for everything? Because I have a sprite that looks strikingly similar to the first Flying type in the OP if you want it. I don't know what color scheme is in mind, but I can also color it however. If you're looking for sprites, I'll be more than happy to help sprite some of the art found in the OP.
Old June 30th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Fairy
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charblade111 View Post
Are you looking for sprites for everything? Because I have a sprite that looks strikingly similar to the first Flying type in the OP if you want it. I don't know what color scheme is in mind, but I can also color it however. If you're looking for sprites, I'll be more than happy to help sprite some of the art found in the OP.
Hey Charblade!

We as a project are looking for, well, everything! n_n; We are looking for artists, spriters, contributors, theorymon-izers, philosophers, pre-Raphielites.. pretty much everything from a to z in terms of pokedex building and development. Feel free to come on in! If you want to sprite one of the fakemons in the main post, go for it! We'll take any and all submissions. :3

When it comes to sprite donation, we're not really looking for a replacement for anything at the moment, but we'll take what you can give us. If you've got a sprite that's similar, show us! I'm sure someone here (or you) can make whatever small edits that are necessary to match the concept art to the sprite.

But yup! Come on in, make yourself comfortable with the team, and get to work at your own pace. Spriters are definitely a hot commodity in these parts. :p

~

Speaking of which, Sunny, here's my little fire guy I was telling you about. n_n; I went right from drawing to sprite, hope no one minds.

I had to upload it through my art album on PC because Photobucket's interface is totally jacked right now ;w; Anyway, yeah compare and contrast! Feedback please! I think I need to darken the outline personally, but I'd like a bit of a critique on this one.
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Ragnia
Hello

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexial357 View Post
Hey Charblade!

Speaking of which, Sunny, here's my little fire guy I was telling you about. n_n; I went right from drawing to sprite, hope no one minds.

I had to upload it through my art album on PC because Photobucket's interface is totally jacked right now ;w; Anyway, yeah compare and contrast! Feedback please! I think I need to darken the outline personally, but I'd like a bit of a critique on this one.
Hmhmhm, I'm liking it, Alexial! I'm gonna have to agree with you on the darker outline because it's kind of difficult to distinguish parts with a quick glance. I also feel like there are a few misplaced pixels on the top right of the tail making it look kind of jagged. Other than that, I think it's great! On a side note, I'm getting a chihuahua vibe from it, probably because of the ears.
Old July 1st, 2013, 02:40 AM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Quote:
Oh, I was about to do somehting on the line of that as well :P

And I'm giving up on the Froslass thing, but I do have the grass one sketched out. I'll upload it later today.

And since everyone decided to do sprites, I tried doing it myself:

Someone said 64x64, so I think that's what size it is right? This is also my first time spriting something. You can tell by all the awkward things going on in the sprite :D

Oh, and what other types are we missing? I want to attempt a Fire type, but I'll see what you come up with first so ours don't conflict :P
Well honestly, I think this is something that matched my... about a 100th attempt? Anyway the point is, I'm really impressed by this guy. Although you made a slight misunderstanding of a type. Nobody says 64x64 and that is a size only used for ROM Hacks and such, but nowadays we prefer 96x96 since that is the standard B/W sprite and also it allows for much more detail in design. But that's not a problem here, since the starters are anyway small in size so this will fit.

Long story short: No need to make changes to this sprite, but keep this in mind while working with bigger Pokémon, base them on 96x96
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:22 AM
Sunfished
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nature: Lax
Ah, thanks for the comments guys :D

@Hoenn
Oh haha. I guess I shouldn't have said this is my "first time" spriting something :D
I actually began spriting when rom hacking began popular, so I guess my first reaction to making that guy was to set the canvas to 64x64. I guess old habits are hard to forget :D

@Alexial
That thing looks so adorable!
I was about to do a deer shrew, but I had that feeling it would look like yours, so I waited
Now I'm going to do a slime, kind of like those ones you see in many RPGs.
And also, I did the spring form of Froslass, so that would mean the summer one is free :D

EDIT:
here's a quick rendition of the spring froslass

It's basically a flower

Last edited by Sunfished; July 1st, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:09 AM
Fort PokePower
Muffins forever

Nature: Quirky
Sorry I haven't been able to contribute to this for awhile. I've got a lot of stuff going on, so my drawing time was a bit limited o3o' I don't know how often I'll be able to post here still, but for the moment, here's something~

I redrew the pre-evolution of the grass-type fakemon I posted awhile back on the computer. I'm going to redraw it's evolution as well.

The head is supposed to be a giant bud. For some reason I can't draw buds very well -w-'

Quote:
here's a quick rendition of the spring froslass

It's basically a flower
I like it, but... Shouldn't it have more of the kimono look like the others?

Roleplays I am in:
Sekirei: Wings of Fate (OOC/IC) as Fia and Akira Takako
Pokemon Odyssey: Search For Cresselia (OOC/IC) as Kaveri "Jetstream" Vian
One Piece: The Golden Age (OOC/IC) as Anahita Z. Firenze

Roleplays I GM:
Fargona: The Land of Dragons (OOC/IC) - Participating as Thia Rondamar
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:35 AM
Fairy
believe

I personally love the Spring Froslass, but I do feel like it's body is a little.. thin. xD But it is basically a flower, and I think that theme should be preserved. Besides, Froslass is a Ghost, they're supposed to be at least partially amorphous, so a twig-body isn't a far stretch.

I'll post my Summer Froslass soon!

every time I come here I'm like.. YAY so many people viewing this thread! Then it's like.. (2 members and 329548oq37234 guests) D;
Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:05 PM
ShinyNuzLover
What're you lookin' at?

Nature: Hasty
Here's a sprite I made for this, not custom, a fusion because I'm not good with custom sprites-

Name Insecorpse
Type Ghost, Grass
Ability Cursed Body, Shed Skin
Classification The Bug Skin Pokemon
Gender Ratio: m-50% f-50%
Flavor Text
Insecorpse are the shedded skin of bug Pokemon that have come to life.
Base Stats
HP:79
Attack:60
Defense:55
Special Attack:64
Special Defense:71
Speed:84

Last edited by ShinyNuzLover; July 2nd, 2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:03 PM
Fairy
believe

Sorry ShinyNuzlover, we're specifically looking for fakemons not splices or fusions.

A true fakemon can't be bits and pieces of other pokemon, after all! n_n; But hey! You seem like you're really good at spriting, why don't you try spriting one of the designs on the main page? That's a way you can contribute and help us make some real progress! Or, better yet, draw your own fakemon and sprite it! I know you said you aren't very good with custom sprites.. but there's no harm in giving it a shot!

My point is, there's plenty to do around here.. but a fusions aren't something we want. We want true-blooded custom fakemons. Still, thank you for your effort. We definitely appreciate your consideration and your enthusiasm about the project!

We can still use pretty much everything from your post though, save the sprite itself. Turn it into something else and I'm sure we can find a place for your work. :)
Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:13 PM
ShinyNuzLover
What're you lookin' at?

@Alexial I actually did draw the sprite first. Then I sprited it. I also made an evo for it. I think I'll try to make a scratch for Insecorpse, then I'll edit my post with that.
Here's a link to the evolution line- http://transdonald.deviantart.com/ar...Line-382471236 The evo is scratch btw.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:20 PM
Fairy
believe

Hey, as long as they pieces of the sprite are completely custom and there are no traces of original Pokemon, than you're good to go in my book. :)
Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:50 PM
ShinyNuzLover
What're you lookin' at?

Thanks Alexial! Yep. It's completely custom and here's a scratch sprite of Insecorpse-

Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:08 PM
Sunfished
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

That looks pretty cool :D
Some parts are kinda off-key, but I like the design.
The name is also pretty suave :D

@Alexial
Oh and about the spring Froslass!
In japanese lore, it's said that women typically wear the tightest clothes during the springtime, because something about "getting closer to nature" or something
So basically you see pictures of these kimono ladies wearing ridiculous things.
But in all favor, if it looks weird for everyone you can go right ahead at changing it if you want :D
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:48 PM
Fairy
believe

Good deal then! Shiny, welcome to the team! :) Hope you continue to participate!

Ah, that's actually kind perfect because, according to Froslass' flavor text, Froslass came into existence when a woman wandered up to a snowy mountain and never descended. So it's like, maybe it was spring and she was skinny. :O

Speaking of Froslassssssss

woohoo! I must have gone though at least six different color pallets for this one. I... I didn't really know what counted as "Summer" or not. .___.; But I settled on something that isn't nearly as eye punishingly neon as my last 5 pallets.

Aw man, I just realized that I signed it and everything, but I forgot to make the background transparent. Sorry! D;
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:16 AM
ShinyNuzLover
What're you lookin' at?

Hey Alexial, not to be rude or anything but, I just looked at the first post and didn't see my name under artists and contributers and I was wondering when you were gonna do that. Anyway, I'm working on a new design for a scratch, and I think it's gonna come out pretty good. The design is gonna be a water rabbit. So if you guys wanna give input in the design just let me know. Oh by the way here's a scratch I did last night, Exolsalto, the water legendary-
The lines are a bit off but if anyone wants to, they can edit it.

Last edited by ShinyNuzLover; July 3rd, 2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:08 AM
Fairy
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyNuzLover View Post
Hey Alexial, not to be rude or anything but, I just looked at the first post and didn't see my name under artists and contributers and I was wondering when you were gonna do that. Anyway, I'm working on a new design for a scratch, and I think it's gonna come out pretty good. The design is gonna be a water rabbit. So if you guys wanna give input in the design just let me know. Oh by the way here's a scratch I did last night, Exolsalto, the water legendary-
The lines are a bit off but if anyone wants to, they can edit it.
Haha, don't worry about it. I still need to update the first post. I do have things to do other than the Pokedex Project, after all. ;) These things take some time and I'm in the middle of recoding the first page (again .__.) to make it even better, so your name will be added with the update.

I could probably get in there and do some editing on your Exolsalto too, if you're looking for that kind of feedback. :)
Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:02 PM
ShinyNuzLover
What're you lookin' at?

Oh okay. Thanks Alexial. And I'm fine with you editing the scratch of Exolsalto.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:50 PM
Nebulat

Nature: Docile
Hi guys! i'm completely new to this side of the Pokemon community, but i'm eager to jump right in! i have a few ideas for some cool Pokemon, but i don't have the technical drawing skills to communicate my ambition. All the stuff thus far has been great (i especially like the Froslass drawings-epic!) please tell em where i can help (except doing sprite images, i'm terrible at that...)
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:57 PM
ShinyNuzLover
What're you lookin' at?

@Nebulat- You could draw pictures on paper and someone could draw or sprite it on the computer. I almost positive Alexial would allow that.

Old July 4th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulat View Post
Hi guys! i'm completely new to this side of the Pokemon community, but i'm eager to jump right in! i have a few ideas for some cool Pokemon, but i don't have the technical drawing skills to communicate my ambition. All the stuff thus far has been great (i especially like the Froslass drawings-epic!) please tell em where i can help (except doing sprite images, i'm terrible at that...)
Don't worry mate, if you read the "Things To Consider" part of the first post (that is the top post of page 1, something which you should always look at as soon as you visit a thread), that tells you how exactly you can contribute by posting up new ideas, etc. And look at a few of the sprites, they don't have to always look very nice, you just post up your sprite and its design and people (like me) can troubleshoot and make a better version.

Of course, the more vivid visual attraction are the drawings, not spritings, so post your doodles up here even if they suck!

But if you can't draw then I seriously suggest you check out "Things To Consider" in the first post.

The main goal of this project is to have fun, so there's no need to be very serious and all that.
Old July 4th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Nebulat

i just drew up something really quick, but i don't know how to upload it from here XP (not to good with computers) i tried to put it as an attachment, but i'm not sure it worked... but anyways, here's the Pokemon

Barrus-the elephant Pokemon
type- Steel/normal
Ability- hover blade (anytime a Pokemon hits it with a physical move, it damages them. damage is equal to 50% of the damage prevented via defense)

HP: 90
Attack: 65
Defense: 125
Sp attack: 60
Sp Defense: 110
speed: 50

Bellua- the Mastodon Pokemon (i don't have any artwork for this one)
type-Steel/normal
Ability- hover blade
Evolves from Barrus at lvl 47

HP:110
attack: 75
Defense: 145
Sp attack: 60
SP defense: 115
speed: 55
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130704_133052.jpg‎ (386.2 KB, 11 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old July 4th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Nebulat

sorry to post again so soon, instead of just putting this on my last post, but i was not sure if the attachment would work, and it did! btw i am completely open to constructive criticism of all forms-i want to better my drawing skills. these next three are not colored (because i don't know what colors would look good with them) i like the first one alot (super derpy) and the final one too (very eligent) but i really do not like the second stage.... at all. PLEASE feel free to draw a different version.

Pharum-the baby faerie Pokemon
type- Fairy
ability- magic guard or Natural cure
Gender ratio- 50% male 50% female
Flavor text: A very out going Pokemon, very fond of banging on the pan that's on it's head.

HP: 37
Attack: 32
Defense: 26
Sp Attack: 30
Sp Defense: 35
Speed: 40

Nympharum- the undead Fairy Pokemon (picture is not included, i but i was thinking something similar to mothim-just allot more sinister, possibly with bone armor)
type- fairy/ghost
ability- levitate
If a male Pharum faints while in the lvl range of 25-30, he will evolve after the battle (while fainted) into Nympharum
flavor text: it's extreme hatred for dragon and legendary pokemon is what motivates it.

HP:40
Attack: 75
Defense: 125
Sp Attack: 65
Sp Defense: 116
Speed: 30

Malumpharum- the evil fairy pokemon (the picture i don't like)
type- fairy/dark
Abilirty: Natural cure or Shed skin
when a Female Pharum reaches lvl 16 or above, the use of a dusk stone will evolve it into Malumpharum
Flavor text: when stuck in a bad situation, it will shed it's limbs or rags to restore itself

HP: 38
Attack: 35
Defense: 31
Sp Attack: 60
Sp Defense: 52
Speed: 50

Noxpharum- the dark fairy
type: fairy/dark
ability: levitate AND Natural cure (that's right, two abilities. i don't know if that's possible but it would be awesome if it was)
when a Malumpharum reaches lvl 28, and knows ominous wind (which it learns at lvl 27, or 19 if you don't evolve it right away) it evolves into Noxpharum
Flavor text: hidden behind it's cheerful look, it is a powerful and cunning opponent-beware

HP: 87
Attack: 47
Defense: 67
Sp attack: 147
Sp Defense: 108
Speed: 88

again, i'm very open to people improving my ideas. if you would like to try and make a better version of one of these, please feel free to do so. if you have any suggestions please let me know :D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130704_141249.jpg‎ (416.0 KB, 16 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: jpg 20130704_141242.jpg‎ (433.7 KB, 9 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old July 5th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Sunfished
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The information for them looks great Nebulat :D

@all
I've noticed we're missing alot of the "generic" things, which I guess I'll list
  • Generic Bird, a la Pidgey, Starly, etc
  • 3 Stage insect that evolves slightly faster than the others
  • That annoying cave dweller, aka Zubat
  • Another offset to the above is the 3-stage Rock Type
  • One-stage Normal Type Gimmick, which introduces a new battle mechanic, like Ditto's Transformation, Smeargle's Sketch, Kecleon's ability, etc
  • The "Chansey", or that Pokemon that exists just to get beat up for exp
  • Our Pikachu!
  • We also need a new Psuedo-Legendary, which is preferrably a Dragon
I was thinking that maybe we should have either the Pikachu, Chansey, or Gimmick of the Dex be based on PokeCommunity itself, to keep into the spirit that this is a community project
Its ability can be something like "Tag-Out", which lets the Pokemon it switches into attack that same turn, which references our sudden leaving and someone elses introduction in the project :D

I miss everyone that went though ;___;

Sponsored Links