The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 21st, 2013, 02:35 PM
Ragnia
Hello

Nature: Calm

Advertise here
Alright, so upon further consideration the Astroneon sprite I posted yesterday seemed really light, so I darkened parts of the outline. I don't really know which looks better overall though, so I'll leave that up to you guys and gals.

Spoiler:
Original:

Darker:
Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:01 AM
Hoenn
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
@Ragnia
Honestly both look cool, however I would select darker outlines since that is what marks a "sprite", and not a vector image. Not to worry, after all the Pokémon are completed, or a fair amount, I'm planning to make battle sprites (the kind you see in BW, also animated!) of them and update their designs.

Anyway guys, I've finalised the region size and layout style.

As you can see, the red part of the map, Greece, is where all the cities are gonna be placed, only a few things will be outside it's border, however, it's all going to come to be known as a new region.

Many thanks to Scarf, our magic pixel artist, for suggesting a map based on Greece itself, just look at the layout, I love it. Water... sooo much water... a real ocean... a dream come true... (except for the Hoenn region of course)

Feel free to change your Pokémon designs to make them more adaptible to this type of a region (eg- less ice types, water Pokémon be ocean dwellers, underwater Pokémon etc.).

Also, referring to Alexial's awesome Lunar Dragon design, I think you know, it will fit better as Fairy/Dragon, don't you think? I dunno, just an idea...

Looks like a fairy/dragon fitter to me...

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:24 AM
Esper

Someone sketched out a flaming pegasus on the first page and I thought I'd try to sprite it. I made some changes I thought might make the look more unique.

deviantart blog pair
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:39 AM
Fairy
loves you

Ahhhh I already made a Fairy/Dragon pokemon. .___.; But I can always get rid of that (I didn't like the design much anyway, too busy) in favor of the lunar dragon who I am totally going to finish drawing, yup, definitely.

Excellent sprite as always, Scarf. I'll add it to the dex. :3 Also going to add the map, if no one minds or wants to make any changes to it?
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:12 AM
Hoenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexial357 View Post
Ahhhh I already made a Fairy/Dragon pokemon. .___.; But I can always get rid of that (I didn't like the design much anyway, too busy) in favor of the lunar dragon who I am totally going to finish drawing, yup, definitely.
I don't remember seeing a fairy/dragon Pokémon though... are you talking about Loeir? But he's labelled fairy only.

In any case, I just wanted to bring to everyone's notice that the Pokémon that's the evolution of a baby Hippocampus's name is Hippocampi. That is practically the plural of Hippocampus (us - i) and I suggest we take a more unique name. It's not a problem if it stays that way, Hippocampi isn't a legitimate English word, and there are even lesser unique names, like Ditto and Electrode, but I think we can think of a better name...

Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:35 PM
BeefTaco

Nature: Relaxed
Well guys I'm done with my little vacation, I'm glad this thread has very solid members I would have hated if it had died, but it didn't and that's great. I will start designing some new Fmons tommorow (unless there's something else I'm needed for of course), again I'm glad to be back I missed this thread and you guys too hehe.

EDIT: OK guys, my next pokemon is gonna be the ditto, castform of this generation so is gonna have multiple forms, that means multiple drawings so I might take a while. All I can say right now is that it will have 3 forms, the other details are a surprise .

Hoenn@ I don't have a problem with the name but if people want to change it, how about Galopamus

Alexial@ I really like thats Lunar dragon, specially that moon rock body.

Ragnia@ the darker sprite looks better, but if you could pull of a lining color brightness between your old sprite and the new one I think that would be the most ideal.

Kosuke@ Welcome kosuke, start sketching! more people the better hehe

Scarf@ You got some skills there man, I want to see what other drawing you pick to make into sprites hopefully one of mine

Last edited by BeefTaco; July 24th, 2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old July 24th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Sunfished
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nature: Lax
Ah, I see this has been prospering alot!

And Kosuke, just pop in and post what you've got :D

I'll be back to doing stuff in about 10 days
Old July 25th, 2013, 12:56 PM
BeefTaco

Ok heres my new fakemon, this was kinda of a warm up since I haven't drawn anything in some time so expect it to be kinda sloppy still it looks cool to me hehe.

Name: Mercuree
Type: Posion/Steel

Special Abilities:

Poison Touch: The opponent can become poisoned just by touching this Pokémon.
Light Metal: This Pokémon's weight is halved.
Old July 25th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
I have an itch to draw but I ran into a block everytime I pick up a pen TTwTT

Any type requests for the Pokedex? I'll just doodle (since I'm like thousands of years behind the other artists here)

If ya have a general idea go ahead and share and I'll doodle ideas XD

I just really need to kill the block so I can draw three other ideas i have that I kinda want to add to this dex project.
Old July 25th, 2013, 03:11 PM
BeefTaco

It happens to all of us so don't worry, why don't you try drawing something very simple so you can pass that block I suppose, atleast that's what I did.
Old July 26th, 2013, 04:03 PM
pridekitty
A Kitty

Nature: Quiet
I have an idea!
Since it's Greek mythology themed, the main legendary could have 13 different forms, like Normal form, Ocean form, Love form, stuff like that.

Wait, someone else is making the map? Crap, i just made one.

My Shinies:
Quagsire M (Whoopie)
Corsola F (Coral)
Clauncher M (Dr. Zoidberg)
Yanma M (Blue Buzz)
Magikarp F (Goldy)
Goldeen M (Neptune)
Poliwhirl F (Polly)

Yes, I am aware that five of them are fishing shinies and that all of them have stupid nicknames.

Last edited by pridekitty; July 26th, 2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 26th, 2013, 07:07 PM
BeefTaco

I think 13 different forms its way too much, it does resemble Arceus multiple type attribute as well. Also you can post the map if you want, even if it isn't used in the dex it could give good ideas to the person making the map.
Old July 27th, 2013, 09:37 AM
pridekitty
A Kitty

Oh, okay. Here's the map:
Greece Map.png

My Shinies:
Quagsire M (Whoopie)
Corsola F (Coral)
Yanma M (Blue Buzz)
Magikarp F (Goldy)
Goldeen M (Neptune)
Poliwhirl F (Polly)

Yes, I am aware that five of them are fishing shinies and that all of them have stupid nicknames.
Old July 27th, 2013, 03:30 PM
BeefTaco

Looks good ,reminds me when I used to play emerald with that busted GBA hehe. Only thing that it needs is the real names in the map remove, the region is based on Greece but its not actually gonna be Greece.
Old July 27th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Fairy
loves you

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
I have an itch to draw but I ran into a block everytime I pick up a pen TTwTT

Any type requests for the Pokedex? I'll just doodle (since I'm like thousands of years behind the other artists here)

If ya have a general idea go ahead and share and I'll doodle ideas XD

I just really need to kill the block so I can draw three other ideas i have that I kinda want to add to this dex project.
Yeah I've got an idea for a bunch of stuff that I don't have time to draw. If you'd like, I'll gladly pass them on to you.

I definitely want to see more Fairy types. I keep coming back to a Fairy/Water type Narwhal lmao.

Also, pridekitty, I think Hoenn is working on a map for us now, but if you'd like to consult with him about what directions you'd like to go, you're free to. :)
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:26 PM
pridekitty
A Kitty

I can edit sprites to make them shiny, by the way.

My Shinies:
Quagsire M (Whoopie)
Corsola F (Coral)
Yanma M (Blue Buzz)
Magikarp F (Goldy)
Goldeen M (Neptune)
Poliwhirl F (Polly)

Old July 28th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Hoenn

Alright I'm having difficulties organising the map. This is because I don't know how the towns are gonna be placed etc. (for example it'd be meaningless to put a dense forest on a city, or a peaceful grassy starting village right on the peak of a mountain)

So if anyone has any ideas of how the towns have to be placed, tell then now or else it might be a tad bit too late >.>

I've seen pridekitty's idea and I want to know if anyone else has anything to add from that... apparently it's too small to be a region, yes? And of course around the waters I will have to modify islands to make them more... usable.

Last edited by Hoenn; July 28th, 2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old July 28th, 2013, 03:43 PM
BeefTaco

Well I think the first thing that should be done is to have an idea of what are the key towns in the region, what is their climate, terrain, size and structure. This isn't exclusive to towns only and this is where it gets complicated, each Pokemon region has its history usually tied in to it's Legendary Pokemon which brings about key areas outside of towns, for example in emerald we have the Sky Pillar, obviously we aren't building a complete game here so theres no need to explain too much but I feel its necessary to add these special locations to make the region notable. Basically what I'm trying to say its that the legendaries in the community dex cant be running wild, they need places in the region where they can reside and the place where they reside must coincide with the legendary pokemon's attributes.

The next thing that you do its begin placing said towns in areas in the map(region) that you best believe fits with the town's description, it doesn't matter if in the actual map of Greece theres a forest where you gonna put a desert theme town because one thing about the pokemon regions its their diversity of climates in such a small area (just look a Unova lol). After this comes the special locations I spoke about previously, it could either be caves, ancient structures, anything you think would fit the legendaries basically. Next its the overall terrain which includes, lakes, caves(again), forest, mountains, deserts, rivers, plains, etc(these should accommodate well with the key towns). Finally the last thing to add its roads and other pathways. I hope this could help ya out .
Old July 29th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Green Stache

I dunno, I think the Lunar Dragon would suit better to be a psychic/dragon type, due to it being space rock related, mystical powers and all that. Plus, it just doesn't really look fairy type, it looks too fierce. (I guess I'm just not really a fan of the new fairy type though). But, that's just my opinion and still thinks it's awesome either way, heh.

I also love the Greece map idea, it's awesome, good work.
Old July 29th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Hoenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefTaco View Post
Well I think the first thing that should be done is to have an idea of what are the key towns in the region, what is their climate, terrain, size and structure. This isn't exclusive to towns only and this is where it gets complicated, each Pokemon region has its history usually tied in to it's Legendary Pokemon which brings about key areas outside of towns, for example in emerald we have the Sky Pillar, obviously we aren't building a complete game here so theres no need to explain too much but I feel its necessary to add these special locations to make the region notable. Basically what I'm trying to say its that the legendaries in the community dex cant be running wild, they need places in the region where they can reside and the place where they reside must coincide with the legendary pokemon's attributes.

The next thing that you do its begin placing said towns in areas in the map(region) that you best believe fits with the town's description, it doesn't matter if in the actual map of Greece theres a forest where you gonna put a desert theme town because one thing about the pokemon regions its their diversity of climates in such a small area (just look a Unova lol). After this comes the special locations I spoke about previously, it could either be caves, ancient structures, anything you think would fit the legendaries basically. Next its the overall terrain which includes, lakes, caves(again), forest, mountains, deserts, rivers, plains, etc(these should accommodate well with the key towns). Finally the last thing to add its roads and other pathways. I hope this could help ya out :) .
I'll think about this. But all that being said, do you have any locational ideas? All this is simply theory work. I am more than happy to do all of this myself, but I don't want any "Hey why couldn't xxx be at yyy instead of at zzz? Also, aaa does not look good, I think bbb will be much better. And can you please add a ccc somewhere? That would help!" so that's why I'm asking you all. Modifying a world map won't be easy tbh, since essentially I'll have to start over in a certain aspect.

Nice ideas btw. Also me being a hardcore legends and lore materialiser, I'll take your word and advice for it.
Well, the "overall terrain" thing may not come out that well considering that fine details HAVE to be omitted due to reasons of it being a map, but will try ;).

And it helped me a lot thanks heaps.

PS - You wrote a profound and sturdy wall of text, you should totally get that "SHUT UP!" emblem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Stache View Post
I dunno, I think the Lunar Dragon would suit better to be a psychic/dragon type, due to it being space rock related, mystical powers and all that. Plus, it just doesn't really look fairy type, it looks too fierce. (I guess I'm just not really a fan of the new fairy type though). But, that's just my opinion and still thinks it's awesome either way, heh.

I also love the Greece map idea, it's awesome, good work. :)
Alright it might help if you take a look at this ;) - [link to an external site]
As you may be knowing the dragon type AND the fairy type are a part of the species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiph-Charon
Fairy (fairies, magical creatures that use tricks, healing powers, astrological stuff..)
Exact reason why Marill is a fairy type. It doesn't look fairy, does it? It uses small tricks, that's all.
That way another thing that counts very much are pre-evolutions. For example, nobody saw the change in Skorupi, yeah? Drapion could perfectly have fit as Poison/Dragon, but NO, he chose to become a dark type ;-;

Anyway, yep think of it this way: The fierceness makes it dragon, and the mystic powers make it fairy
You're just not used to the idea that mystic powers are fairy more than psychic, like you said XD (Celebi is a dead Grass/Fairy giveaway, for example).

tbh this is just my opinion too if anyone has another thing to say about this, go ahead.

And thanks, a lot, for having faith in this community. Really, fantastic of you.

Old July 29th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Green Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by ★Hoenn★ View Post
Alright it might help if you take a look at this - [link to an external site]
As you may be knowing the dragon type AND the fairy type are a part of the species.

Exact reason why Marill is a fairy type. It doesn't look fairy, does it? It uses small tricks, that's all.
That way another thing that counts very much are pre-evolutions. For example, nobody saw the change in Skorupi, yeah? Drapion could perfectly have fit as Poison/Dragon, but NO, he chose to become a dark type

Anyway, yep think of it this way: The fierceness makes it dragon, and the mystic powers make it fairy
You're just not used to the idea that mystic powers are fairy more than psychic, like you said XD (Celebi is a dead Grass/Fairy giveaway, for example).

tbh this is just my opinion too if anyone has another thing to say about this, go ahead.

And thanks, a lot, for having faith in this community. Really, fantastic of you.
Hmm yeah that does make sense, and I do agree. The fairy things just new to me and I'm more of an old school Pokefan.
It is going to be a lot powerful too, seeing apparently fairy is meant to be super effective against Dragon? Woo!
Well I think it's a good call then, haha.
Old July 29th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefTaco View Post

The next thing that you do its begin placing said towns in areas in the map(region) that you best believe fits with the town's description, it doesn't matter if in the actual map of Greece theres a forest where you gonna put a desert theme town because one thing about the pokemon regions its their diversity of climates in such a small area (just look a Unova lol). After this comes the special locations I spoke about previously, it could either be caves, ancient structures, anything you think would fit the legendaries basically. Next its the overall terrain which includes, lakes, caves(again), forest, mountains, deserts, rivers, plains, etc(these should accommodate well with the key towns). Finally the last thing to add its roads and other pathways. I hope this could help ya out :) .
To help get this ball rolling I threw together this map, a stripped-down BW style:

I put in towns where several actual Greek towns and cities exist to help give some sense of how the towns could be spaced, and there are some possible routes. (I guess in this one you start in the southwest and move around clockwise, like in Kanto.) It would be easy enough to throw in towns anywhere though, but having them where their real world counterparts exist is usually how they do things in the games, and if there are interesting things about those places you can then have them influence how those towns are designed.

deviantart blog pair
Old July 29th, 2013, 01:09 PM
BeefTaco

Hoenn@ Haha Thanks, I understand how hard this could be so im helping all the way I can. I only requested to add terrains so it would be easier to localized the community dex pokemon in the region, it would help a lot to know for example what areas ice pokemon can live in. I have an idea that could possibly make adding some details easier without having to draw them in, make the details as written descriptions.

Example (from Serebii):

Route 1 is the first route accessed within the Unova Region. It is a rather straightforward route, going from South to North, but when you return, you'll gain access to a new western area with stronger Pokémon. Unlike most areas, it has some plants which differ depending on the season.

Aspertia City is the starting city of Pokémon Black 2 & White 2. Unlike past starting areas, Aspertia City is quite expansive and has a variety of areas within it. First, it has a Pokémon Centre. Next to the Pokémon Centre is a trainer school and to the north-west of the city is a lookout where you can look towards the north and see the routes and mountains.

This of course wouldn't be in the map but as side information. I'm aware it would be a ton of information which why I think this should actually be done little by little and some help wouldn't help either lol. This is only my opinion btw, if you decide to take a different route go ahead.

Scarf@ Wow this looks really good man, take notes Hoenn this map right here at least the way the towns are organized has my approval.
Old July 30th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Hoenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
To help get this ball rolling I threw together this map, a stripped-down BW style:

I put in towns where several actual Greek towns and cities exist to help give some sense of how the towns could be spaced, and there are some possible routes. (I guess in this one you start in the southwest and move around clockwise, like in Kanto.) It would be easy enough to throw in towns anywhere though, but having them where their real world counterparts exist is usually how they do things in the games, and if there are interesting things about those places you can then have them influence how those towns are designed.
*dies*

*takes rebirth*

*grows back to the same place at the same time as the same person*

*dies again*

*takes rebirth*

*grows back to the same place at the same time as the same person*

*does this 42 times*

Wow.

This is going to help a lot.

I'm totally scraping my idea and using this.

I wonder why you weren't in charge of the map in the first place lol

Thank you for basically making the map.

Thank you for making the towns, too. I feel this map makes a lot of sense eitherway.

Old July 31st, 2013, 12:29 PM
Fairy
loves you

Maps look gorgeous, Scarf. :3

Also, sorry I haven't been posting guys. There's been some drama going on, but I'll still be updating this albeit on a semi-regular basis.

Also, I'm.. kinda confused about the recently posted fakemon. Are they just fleeting thoughts That you guys posted for feedback or do you guys want to see them in the dex? I'm asking cause things like names and stuff were left out, and I don't want to see more uncatalogued. ;o; So let me know what the plan is with them.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here