The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 20th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
I don't think it would be related whatsoever to modding. If we're going to do that, we might as well mod them, right?

That being said, a different rank would make sense to me. This could be a rank you applied to, like a permanent EO, but without a badge because we already have so many especially when GT rolls around. It could give you access to an Events/Competitions forum, where you can plan out events in whatever section, see if other people want to help you with it, and get the final okay from the mods of that section/hstaff.
Not that it's a bad idea, but when I was discussing this with Razor Leaf yesterday, that isn't exactly what I had in mind. Personally, I feel like having people apply for a certain rank in order to contribute ideas or host events seems like over complicating a relatively simple thing. It's a lot easier and less restricting for members who have ideas or want to host their own event(s) in a forum to talk the moderator of that forum or higher staff about it first. Otherwise, what if a member has a good idea, but because they don't have an impressionable application to do it, the idea goes to waste or someone else takes it and does it instead? It just seems too restricting in my opinion when we should be more open to doing something like this while assisting them in the process if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post
I just want to explain why I feel like members can already be as responsible and active as they want to be. Again, my view is in much due to me hanging around a very interactive section. But even in other sections, I've always felt like if you do have a great idea for something like Razor Leaf suggests, you can pitch the idea to the mod and there is every chance that it becomes reality. Things that may up activity in sections are mostly always welcome, right?
I agree with this.

I also want members to know that we encourage them to come talk to us about these things and let their ideas be acknowledged rather than forgotten. To know that they can do more if they want to and we can help them out too. Anything that allows people to come together and contribute to the forum in ways of boosting its activity while enjoying what they're doing is always welcome in my opinion.
Old April 20th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
Not that it's a bad idea, but when I was discussing this with Razor Leaf yesterday, that isn't exactly what I had in mind. Personally, I feel like having people apply for a certain rank in order to contribute ideas or host events seems like over complicating a relatively simple thing. It's a lot easier and less restricting for members who have ideas or want to host their own event(s) in a forum to talk the moderator of that forum or higher staff about it first. Otherwise, what if a member has a good idea, but because they don't have an impressionable application to do it, the idea goes to waste or someone else takes it and does it instead? It just seems too restricting in my opinion when we should be more open to doing something like this while assisting them in the process if need be.
The thing with that is, that's...already a thing, isn't it? When I was a member and wanted to do an event I PMed the mod of that section or hstaff if there wasn't one and got it approved, and I've seen plenty of members do the same thing around the forum. Are you suggesting then just making it more well-known that that's a thing that we encourage?
Old April 20th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
The thing with that is, that's...already a thing, isn't it? When I was a member and wanted to do an event I PMed the mod of that section or hstaff if there wasn't one and got it approved, and I've seen plenty of members do the same thing around the forum. Are you suggesting then just making it more well-known that that's a thing that we encourage?
Yeah, that's about the gist of it. I don't think a lot of members are really aware that we can allow them to do more things in a forum that a moderator would otherwise be responsible of doing.
Old April 20th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
This sounds like a wonderful idea in my opinion. It would certainly make participating in the community more actively a lot easier, especially if we can easily tap into the staff for promotion of our approved events and just make for a better experience in the dry spells between events like GTs or CommDays or whatever other events are held by staff on any regular basis. This would also serve to help members to stand out from the crowd, and maybe contribute more even if they don't feel they'll ever be modded. I certainly feel that way.

Quote:
I don't think it would be related whatsoever to modding. If we're going to do that, we might as well mod them, right?

That being said, a different rank would make sense to me. This could be a rank you applied to, like a permanent EO, but without a badge because we already have so many especially when GT rolls around. It could give you access to an Events/Competitions forum, where you can plan out events in whatever section, see if other people want to help you with it, and get the final okay from the mods of that section/hstaff.
This would also be a great idea, and optionally a usergroup such as this would be useful to distinguish those members who are actively planning events and even grant temporary and limited thread moderation abilities, if necessary for operation of the event, to users. This wouldn't necessarily need to have a differentiating color or font style for usernames, but it could especially in cases where power is given over a small subsection in order to run an event in the case of there not being an active on-staff moderator who would normally preside over the event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbp View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing more involvement. I've been sort of put off by the very same post-and-go vibe PC seems to have, as EternallyAnna put it. Anything meaty gets shot down or ignored outside of the one serious discussions forum, and it's not very stimulating. Maybe that's just the nature of the audience? In that case, perhaps we should start doing activities that would actually excite the audience enough to do more than post in/start another list topic(s)?
I certainly would welcome a little bit more involvement than just the post and go atmosphere at times, especially because it would entice more people to stay around longer. It sucks to see good friends quit PC because they've become absolutely bored with the place, and I've always thought it would be nice if I could come up with some way to contribute to the community in a way to combat that problem.

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Last edited by Melody; April 20th, 2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old April 20th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Toko
Forest Dweller
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I also think it is a good idea. I'm an example of dwindling involvement on PC. :D (Though my reason is work related stuff. The site is a great place
I still think it would be beneficial to let people carry more responsibility and maybe give them a bit more freedom in how they can add to the site, I think it would probably pull them back on here more often because they'll feel like their input actually counts.

Of course, everything still needs to remain in order and you can't have everyone just doing what they want, so I hope it is possible to find a middle ground on this.

Old April 20th, 2013, 01:20 PM
abnegation
proudly paired with adventure

If you want to get involved more; you're perfectly welcome to approach a staff member about hosting a competition, sharing an idea, offering to host a new claim thread, or offering a suggestion. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to do this, so hopefully this thread shows that a bit more.

The responsibility you gain is relative to the initiative you take.
Old April 20th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Patrick
Winter Love
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
It's one thing to have initiative, but it's another to actually get people behind you on it as well. It gets discouraging after a while when people are all over the place, but never really committed to anything aside from whatever they're already doing, which I again think has more to do with the general atmosphere of the board.

It's like being at a concert where you all like the same band (in theory), but everyone's in a bubble messing around with their iPhones or something tuning everything else out. That's why I'd like to see more involvement, there's a lot of potential here, but it's just scattered all over without a lot of unification. Aside from the fan games/hacks and RPs, but that's about it.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old April 20th, 2013, 02:07 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
It's one thing to have initiative, but it's another to actually get people behind you on it as well. It gets discouraging after a while when people are all over the place, but never really committed to anything aside from whatever they're already doing, which I again think has more to do with the general atmosphere of the board.

It's like being at a concert where you all like the same band (in theory), but everyone's in a bubble messing around with their iPhones or something tuning everything else out. That's why I'd like to see more involvement, there's a lot of potential here, but it's just scattered all over without a lot of unification. Aside from the fan games/hacks and RPs, but that's about it.
Well, we'd like to change that, huh?

I think that if you just host it alone for the first few runs, people will start to recognize if it's good or not, and they'll start pitching in. It's like hosting anything - if you wanna, you gotta start it by yourself.
Old April 20th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Well, we'd like to change that, huh?

I think that if you just host it alone for the first few runs, people will start to recognize if it's good or not, and they'll start pitching in. It's like hosting anything - if you wanna, you gotta start it by yourself.
Yeah, but that's still super discouraging to those who WANT to try but don't have the confidence or the patience to try and fail a few times.

Quote:

This is a good point. Everyone sticks around to their own preferred section, and quite frankly, that's how some of our subforums end up feeling kind of 'cliquey' and intimidating to users, especially the new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnegation View Post
If you want to get involved more; you're perfectly welcome to approach a staff member about hosting a competition, sharing an idea, offering to host a new claim thread, or offering a suggestion. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to do this, so hopefully this thread shows that a bit more.

The responsibility you gain is relative to the initiative you take.
But this leaves out anyone and everyone who is simply too intimidated to approach staff about such things. Not to mention anyone who may have a good idea, but just needs help to work out the kinks and otherwise make it happen.

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Old April 20th, 2013, 04:00 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Careful
I know in Fourth Gen I'v eset up an events suggestion thread, (albeit not a lot of replies), where any member can suggest ideas for future events in the section. I might actually make it simply an ideas plus feeback thread, because I'd also like to hear some possible improvements that could be made to 4th Gen. Within these threads I've been given a few event ideas that I've discussed with their owners, and have been slowly planning their release. More importantly, I've let those who suggested the event, host it themselves (that includes creating the content of the thread (which I'll look through/correct if need be), because it wouldn't be fair if I hosted it, because well...it wasn't my idea.

But anyway, I'm getting off-topic.

What I'm really trying to get to here is, that we've already started from some sort of a platform. There are already ways which members can acquire more responsibility than simply posting and running off to the next section. Perhaps if we can find a way to emphasise that there are opportunities out there. In saying that, perhaps every section should create more of these oppotunities by creating an event suggestion thread of their own? Plus the thread will in a way, lessen the hesistation of a member to suggest their idea(s) because they wouldn't be discussing it with that staff member directly.

In regards to a permanent rank...I'm a little iffy on that. Essentially, if we're picking moderators to moderate, which is causing a gap between moderator and member contriution, then surely if we're promoting certain members to a 'EO rank' permanently that will only cause another gap between members with no responsibility, member with responsibility and then moderators. It will only chop the gap into pieces, rather than reducing it. (But that's just me)

I'm all up for this 100%. Just not through ranks.
Old April 20th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Fairy

I'd like to mention that A&D already has something like this going on now.

Jetstream9777, with assistance from Kriegstein, launched a PC fakedex project, which had nothing to do with myself or Derozio. It was a good idea and he went for it, and now it's evolved into quite the exciting little pseudo-event. I suppose it's relevance to this conversation depends on how you view things, but I'm looking at this project more like an actual "PC Pokedex" not just a fakedex for someone's personal gain.

My point is, member involvement in different sections already exists, but more is always better. I'd love it if more members became involved. :) I think one thing that will be invaluable would be to increase the flow of communication between members and staff.

All that said, I'm going to agree with Curious on ranks. Maybe it's just me, but it kind of sounds like we'd be rewarding members for being active.. which we already have methods in place to do so, you know? That, and I feel like it would bring "members closer to staff", as opposed to bringing "staff closer to members", if that makes any sense.

Old April 20th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

I feel that...I dunno, my opinion is different than most people's here. I understand that a lot of people in this thread are worried that creating a new rank would further "distance" that gap between member and staff but...I dunno, maybe it's just me who thinks it'll have no real effect at all? I don't mean to be impeding on anything (and I apologize if I am), but you already have "supporters", who, in theory, already create that gap. The only difference is that it's probably easier to get to supporter than EO (depending on the prerequisites for that usergroup).

I guess the general point being is that it won't make a difference one way or another. I feel that that the rank would be creating more incentive for members to participate in organizing events, in the same way that the supporter ranks/perks create incentives for people to donate. Think of it in that light, and perhaps it'll become a bit easier to swallow? xD
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:29 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
I feel that...I dunno, my opinion is different than most people's here. I understand that a lot of people in this thread are worried that creating a new rank would further "distance" that gap between member and staff but...I dunno, maybe it's just me who thinks it'll have no real effect at all? I don't mean to be impeding on anything (and I apologize if I am), but you already have "supporters", who, in theory, already create that gap. The only difference is that it's probably easier to get to supporter than EO (depending on the prerequisites for that usergroup).

I guess the general point being is that it won't make a difference one way or another. I feel that that the rank would be creating more incentive for members to participate in organizing events, in the same way that the supporter ranks/perks create incentives for people to donate. Think of it in that light, and perhaps it'll become a bit easier to swallow? xD
Yeah, and additionally, for those of us who don't have money to spend, this would be another way to get that colored username without using a credit card :) if they get all the perks (such as VIP, or blogs) I wouldn't care - after all, what good is the money if nobody makes use of the things it's buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious. View Post
ranks.
So I dunno… I was thinking that this would be a way to get a VIP 3-5 as a reward without using money or luck, but for hard work. And trust me, back before I got my debit card and thus couldn't donate, I would have pretty much become a slave without any complaint if it meant to get that blue name :p

Last edited by droomph; April 20th, 2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
So I dunno… I was thinking that this would be a way to get a VIP 3-5 as a reward without using money or luck, but for hard work. And trust me, back before I got my debit card and thus couldn't donate, I would have pretty much become a slave without any complaint if it meant to get that blue name :p
I highly doubt that you'll get a Supporter VIP card/whatever for organising what could just be a one-off event...........
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:39 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I highly doubt that you'll get a Supporter VIP card/whatever for organising what could just be a one-off event...........
That's the point though… if you happen to help enough around, you'll get it.

Old April 20th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Isn't the point of this whole thing that members have more freedom/better attitudes to helping around the forums/organising events, rather than doing stuff in order to work towards a supporter rank?
Not to mention that the majority of the people who would honestly get off their asses and help probably have a supporter rank anyway.
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Arago
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I am completely against offering supportership as a reward for anything. I think it should be reserved for strictly donations. It's not some prize to be won, and I hate that it's become one.

Last edited by Patchisou Yutohru; April 20th, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old April 20th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Forever
let it go

Ugh no, if this happens I'd strongly push against supportership purely because it isn't a reward whatsoever. Being able to help out with things, being able to make your mark on PokeCommunity is much more rewarding than a green username. I only offer supporterships for my events because I think otherwise people won't enter them :/ But if a way of rewards was in place that'd change fo sure.
Old April 21st, 2013, 12:38 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Ok it seems like my suggestion got lost in the pile a while back so I'll bring it up again with a bit more explanation:

What about an event subsection that anyone can post to, yet the section is moderator-approved only, kind of like how Other Clubs works?

Like it needs a certain type of criteria to run, and needs to be passed by a mod to run too. However it can still be open to anyone who wants to host something PC related as long as they're willing to withhold PC rules even if it's on another program (skype) or website (oekaki chatroom)?
Old April 21st, 2013, 05:00 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
Ok it seems like my suggestion got lost in the pile a while back so I'll bring it up again with a bit more explanation:

What about an event subsection that anyone can post to, yet the section is moderator-approved only, kind of like how Other Clubs works?

Like it needs a certain type of criteria to run, and needs to be passed by a mod to run too. However it can still be open to anyone who wants to host something PC related as long as they're willing to withhold PC rules even if it's on another program (skype) or website (oekaki chatroom)?
A few issues that I have with this (though I could be wrong! Just my observations, is all!):

When concerning just making a subforum for posting events, you're taking a gamble. The premise for making subforums is that it's as active as possible, and if I'm correct from the many other threads that have suggested a million things be made into subforums, then I can at least make a safe assumption that the higher staff would not take chances into making a forum that would have a good probability of not getting a decent amount of activity. u___u

Though...if that doesn't fully make sense, allow me to clarify!

See, the reason why I don't mind the ranks, was simply because of one thing: it attracts people, and that's the very nature of it. Again, reflecting back to my supporter example, you see people donating for themselves, donating for each other left and right, and now there's hardly a time where not half the community is covered in green. Of course, all that's required is to donate some cash, but I can imagine similar possibilities for something like Event Organizers. Arguably, you could also say that the members who would be event organizers would probably post in that forum without the necessity of the rank existing.

So ultimately, it comes as a matter of whether or not it's necessary. I mean, it probably isn't on a grand scale, but would it encourage greater incentive and greater interest within creating events and contributing in greater amounts to forums? If so, then great! If not, look at alternative options, because the bottom line here is creating enough interest that people would actually want to create and go through with their events.
Old April 21st, 2013, 07:00 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
When I mentioned ranks I didn't mean something visible like a Supporter, but something hidden like the Beta Testers usergroup. :x Just clarifying. I didn't mean it for incentive purposes, but for organizational purposes.

It depends on what you're trying to do here. I thought the goal was to make it clear that contributions from members are welcomed, while it seems your goal is to actually make there some kind of reward of some sort for members to contribute.
Old April 21st, 2013, 07:10 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
When I mentioned ranks I didn't mean something visible like a Supporter, but something hidden like the Beta Testers usergroup. :x Just clarifying. I didn't mean it for incentive purposes, but for organizational purposes.

It depends on what you're trying to do here. I thought the goal was to make it clear that contributions from members are welcomed, while it seems your goal is to actually make there some kind of reward of some sort for members to contribute.
Welllll....

There was a mention of a "permanent event organizer" kind of thing, so my post kind of went off of that, y'know? :x So I thought it'd be something visible.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:57 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
I wouldn't want it to be something visible because I wouldn't want members pining for organizing events just to have certain status on the forum. That's just my fear about it.

I don't think the community events particularly NEEDS to be constantly crazily active. It can be a subsection under community announcements (which in itself is not that active but very valuable) and even if it's updated just for small events (international talk like a pirate day, videogame day, mod appreciation day, whatever else someone wants to host) it would be great IMO and way more organized than just adding something to Other Polls/ Chitchat section or having it scattered around the forums (like GE competitions I dont even know are going on until like Mr. Catdog makes a blog about it or something.)
Old April 22nd, 2013, 05:00 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Maybe there could be a section similar to the birthdays where current events are listed?
Old April 22nd, 2013, 06:06 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
I wouldn't want it to be something visible because I wouldn't want members pining for organizing events just to have certain status on the forum. That's just my fear about it.
You bring up a fair point here but...I imagine it like this, and bear with me, because hopefully a lot of what I'm saying would make sense here (cause lol my wording):

Yes, it doesn't need to be crazily active but...would it at least help, in a sense? Note that I'm not asking for a grandiose amount of activity here, that's silly of course. But in my ideal ~*world~* (so to speak), in this situation, these event organizers would kind of be like a team of people, planning events left and right and whatnot, and what could work as events, and what couldn't work, things of that nature.

Basically, think of the VIP forum and replace like 2/3rds - 3/4ths of the threads in there with event discussion, and that's what I imagine it to be like. I mean, that's just in my mind, after all, it'd be pretty fun. :x

Hopefully that helps?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links