The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 20th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Ideas.

So for the first week, you get stickied for that week. If you get banned or something, naturally you'll be unstickied.

Then, if you get enough recognition from the people around you (say, at least 20 posts?), then you get unstickied, because you'll do well enough without the special attention. And if you're just pouring with questions, you'll get unstickied as soon as that happens.

However, if people ignore you, you get an extra week or two to "integrate" yourself, and you stay up in the stickies for that time.

And then regardless, you are unstickied, and then it's just like any other thread in any other forum.

Or maybe, if you don't like having 15 stickied threads, then try using a prefix like [Newcomers!] so that they'll stand out.

Or maybe at midnight (or whatever time the mod is okay with) every day, every not-against-the-rules thread will be automatically approved and added with that sticky or prefix I was talking about, so that those people have the spotlight.

Thus we have the whole "CRAZY MESS" thing taken care of, and it wouldn't be that long of a wait for the members to be like "you know what? Screw this." Bam. Compromise.

I don't see this as much of a problem either way.
I like this idea. Perhaps let me simplify it a bit by suggesting that once your thread gets say, 5 or 10 questions and answers (10 or 20 replies basically), or in a week...whichever comes first, you get your thread unstuck. I'd love to run it this way theoretically if I were running it, along with approving 2 to 4 new threads every other day or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
How about, just to bandwagon off of this, why not give such a location a test run? Get someone to plot out some rules, hire a temporary moderator to the section, and see how well it goes? If it doesn't go well, just remove it, and if the forum prospers for a given period of time - say a month - keep it going and permanently hire a moderator (and more if needed)?
I think that'd be great too, it'd be a good chance to test a member out for moderator suitability, and maybe give a deserving member a greater shot at being re-modded somewhere else later if the project fails? (god I hope it doesn't)

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Old April 20th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Cid
Find your niche.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Cid Send a message via Skype™ to Cid
I really like this idea. Lately I've been thinking of perhaps lifting the rule in the Welcome Lounge that forbids people from derailing a thread into an AMA / a conversation between the newbie and the greeters, but I know that that rule is there to allow people to branch out into other sections (and in some cases, to lessen post count fishing). Otherwise they'd be stuck in the Welcome Lounge, and as cool as the section is, there's a lot more of PC to check out than that one.

With a Member Interaction Center, it could serve that purpose way better than the Welcome Lounge would. You wouldn't have to worry about derailing the thread too much because it's meant to be an AMA and to spark conversations. That point being much more evident if post count is disabled. You also have the advantage of making it available for everyone, both new users and old users.

I didn't know what to think of it at first, but after reading the replies in this thread, it could really work well.
Old April 21st, 2013, 07:02 AM
Arago
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky

And now we wait...

Last edited by Patchisou Yutohru; April 21st, 2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old April 21st, 2013, 07:10 AM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post

Now we wait...
I'm thinking with the immense amount of support here, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

..And when you think about it, what could possibly go wrong in such a section as this?

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old April 21st, 2013, 10:26 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
So… since I'm not so experienced in dictatorship, how long would this take? Just curious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
I'm thinking with the immense amount of support here, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

..And when you think about it, what could possibly go wrong in such a section as this?
Except for the trolls but we all know that can't be helped

Old April 21st, 2013, 10:34 AM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
So… since I'm not so experienced in dictatorship, how long would this take? Just curious

It'd probably take a day or two. Gotta hear arguments from all the staff, no?

As for trolls, PC's staff can deal with them easily. banhammer

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old April 21st, 2013, 11:04 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

It'd probably take a bit longer than a day or two for a decision to be made.

It does seem like it would turn into Member Fanclubs if things weren't strictly moderated.
Old April 21st, 2013, 11:43 AM
Vital
ignore the whisper
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Vital
With the ideas of including a waitlist and a steady flow of threads, I think we could successfully moderate it. We're limiting what happens, but not so much to the point where it destroys the purpose of the MIC. I feel like it'll work.

Also... lol @ HQ description.
Old April 21st, 2013, 12:27 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
To be honest, I'm still a bit weary of the idea because I feel that it's strange that discussion-like subsections such as tabletop games were taken out.. in favour of something member-centric..

Maybe I'm just an old fogey who remembers the old DCC just being a grand "hey lets put on a topic where everyone contributes and we learn more about each other" and memberclubs being an ego-stroke then so I just feel that there are other alternatives to making a whole section dedicated to it unless it's somewhere like Other Trivia's subsection where posts wont matter so it wont be like a giant competition of people saying to others "POST IN MY THREAD GOGOGOGO GO!!"
Old April 21st, 2013, 01:15 PM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

I would think there could be a rule there that prevents people from hijacking other's AMA threads? So posts that say "go post in my thread plz" would be not allowed.I can see that it would probably have to be heavily moderated to not turn into that, though I still think the idea of an AMA section is great overall.
Old April 21st, 2013, 01:23 PM
Nathan
too lazy
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
@Shiny Celebi
That could MAYBE count as spam. It depends on HStaff though, I hope they accept it as it sounds like a very nice idea.

no, you gotta get it inside
you push it back down, you push it back down

Old April 21st, 2013, 01:36 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Celebi View Post
I would think there could be a rule there that prevents people from hijacking other's AMA threads? So posts that say "go post in my thread plz" would be not allowed.I can see that it would probably have to be heavily moderated to not turn into that, though I still think the idea of an AMA section is great overall.
I could see it more on VMs, IRC, Battle Server, MSN, blogs, DCC, etc.. places like that, not directly in the section.. but people who will bring it up anyways just because they want their thread bumped for the heck of it.

Either way, we could always try it out and then shut it down if it's not working out, but my point still stands that I dislike how discussion based Subsections have been taken out in favor of something member-centric.

Another solution instead of a whole subsection would be something like the picture thread had: One thread for questions, another thread for answers. This would be put in other trivia to prevent people from spamming the first thread with too many questions over and over again in new posts. Hear me out here.
There are 2 threads, the question thread, and the answer thread. The first thread is sorta like the poll of the week. People contribute questions throughout, and at the end of every week, all of those questions get bolded/ added/ replaced onto the first posts of both threads (or maybe only the answer thread; it's up to the mod.)
Then in the second thread, people sorta do what they do in OVP threads, where they copy/paste those questions they want to answer that week, in a post, and answer them below in bolded text. You know.. like
Example:
what is your favourite food?
I really love pasta!

(or vice versa with the bolding)

That way, people can still contribute questions to the first thread continuously, and the answers don't get jumbled in with the answers thread. People have a week to answer the questions they want to answer, everyone can participate, and no one gets looked over.
After all, people might be uncomfortable answering a question directly asked to them but might feel that they have to or they'd be ignoring the other person. This is a great solution for it!!

Maybe we can also help keep it uncluttered by saying that each person can only ask one question per week so we dont get a flood of possible questions, too.

How does that sound for an alternative?
Old April 21st, 2013, 02:45 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
I could see it more on VMs, IRC, Battle Server, MSN, blogs, DCC, etc.. places like that, not directly in the section.. but people who will bring it up anyways just because they want their thread bumped for the heck of it.

Either way, we could always try it out and then shut it down if it's not working out, but my point still stands that I dislike how discussion based Subsections have been taken out in favor of something member-centric.

Another solution instead of a whole subsection would be something like the picture thread had: One thread for questions, another thread for answers. This would be put in other trivia to prevent people from spamming the first thread with too many questions over and over again in new posts. Hear me out here.
There are 2 threads, the question thread, and the answer thread. The first thread is sorta like the poll of the week. People contribute questions throughout, and at the end of every week, all of those questions get bolded/ added/ replaced onto the first posts of both threads (or maybe only the answer thread; it's up to the mod.)
Then in the second thread, people sorta do what they do in OVP threads, where they copy/paste those questions they want to answer that week, in a post, and answer them below in bolded text. You know.. like
Example:
what is your favourite food?
I really love pasta!

(or vice versa with the bolding)

That way, people can still contribute questions to the first thread continuously, and the answers don't get jumbled in with the answers thread. People have a week to answer the questions they want to answer, everyone can participate, and no one gets looked over.
After all, people might be uncomfortable answering a question directly asked to them but might feel that they have to or they'd be ignoring the other person. This is a great solution for it!!

Maybe we can also help keep it uncluttered by saying that each person can only ask one question per week so we dont get a flood of possible questions, too.

How does that sound for an alternative?
Well, looking at Reddit AMA:

Spoiler:

now, I'm not saying GO COPY THEM (in fact, the opposite), but we can take a few pointers from them. For example, the reply format should be default here over the linear format. And then…

…anything else?

Okay, I admit that it wasn't a good solution, but I would think without it, it would go something like the celebrations thread, which isn't that bad actually.

Old April 21st, 2013, 05:32 PM
Arago
Community Supporter

Quote:

Anywhere between 48 hours and the end of time. Hard to say. Depends on the reception, and ironing out details, and so on and so forth.
Old April 28th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Arago
Community Supporter

Just wanted to let you guys know that majority voted in favor of testing it out with supporters, so pretty soon you'll have a new forum to spam contribute to.
Old April 28th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Just wanted to let you guys know that majority voted in favor of testing it out with supporters, so pretty soon you'll have a new forum to spam contribute to.
I'm actually really happy to hear this. Looking forward to seeing it! :D

Edit: yay spam FORUM CONTRIBUTIONS.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Last edited by Team Fail; April 28th, 2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Just wanted to let you guys know that majority voted in favor of testing it out with supporters, so pretty soon you'll have a new forum to spam contribute to. :)
Not that I'm not very happy about this, but I'm just curious as to why this is being tested out with supporters rather than the general public? Again, very satisfied this is coming into existence and what not.
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:19 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Not that I'm not very happy about this, but I'm just curious as to why this is being tested out with supporters rather than the general public? Again, very satisfied this is coming into existence and what not.
We're the test-group for PokéCommunity Inc., kinda like how KFC tests their new products in Missouri or something to see whether people will like it.

Old April 28th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Hikamaru
out of this world
Community Supporter

I'm glad it's finally going to be implemented, and I'm lucky me and my fellow Supporters get to be among the first to trial it!

Paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

i'll be gone for a while, here's why

Old April 28th, 2013, 09:58 PM
AWsquared
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
Good to hear this actually getting off the ground soon, I can't wait to test it out myself.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old April 28th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Antemortem
[INSERT A PROFOUND TRUTH]

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Next let's make it so only regular members can participate. :)
Old April 28th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Autumn Reverie
wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

Nature: Modest
Ooh, can't wait to test this thing out! Hope it goes well.

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Hoenn
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
How about two of my suggestions for this will-be forum...

★A "Who's that member" thread. This will give faint clues about who the member is, and the guessers should guess the correct one. Obviously his/her friends will find it easier to guess, so that will lead people to interact with more people. Also the member chosen shouldn't be notified, because he might tip his friend that it is him (it will be funny to see a person who guessed himself!)

★Moar frequent MotYs. Something like a Member of the Month will do. Because we have to wait a whole year and it will give publicity to the MotY.

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old April 29th, 2013, 02:26 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ★Hoenn★ View Post
★Moar frequent MotYs. Something like a Member of the Month will do. Because we have to wait a whole year and it will give publicity to the MotY.
As far as I know, due to abuse by um, various members (me), MOTM's aren't going to happen again because they only give rise to popularity issues and what not.
Old April 29th, 2013, 03:34 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Yeah, I wouldn't be for MotM coming back (and that'd just possibly promote one of the issues that this section makes me worry about!)

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links