The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest

Advertise here
Then we can make MOTQ or Month of the Quarter which can be held every three months.

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old April 29th, 2013, 06:17 AM
awolfsquared
I like to do 'Garfield Mondays'
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I think what he's saying is that the only thing similar to MOTM that will ever happen would be MOFY. No matter how often it happens though it will probably end up being more of a popularity contest though.So I don't think that's what's gonna happen in this new section.

"I have no idea what I'm doing. but I know I'm doing it really, really well."- Andy Dwyer
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:22 AM
shenanigans
boom boom boom

Yeah, no from me to MotY happening any more than once a year (indeed, if it was my choice, it'd be scrapped completely but there's another time and place for that!) since it's a fairly big event, can turn into a popularity contest if held too often, PC might not even hold that level of activity any more, etc. I think MotY is fine as it is.

Old April 29th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Member of the Year has nothing to do with the Member Interaction Center, so if that's what you want to talk about and maybe get more of, please make a new thread to discuss that. :/
Old April 29th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
Let the MotM thing be yearly, if not decade-ly.

ANYWAY. I'm quite pleased to hear that we're having a test run, it should be awesome. I really think this can be a success, we just have to stick with it. =D
Old April 29th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Nathan
don't approach
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan
I wasn't around enough to test MotM. I'm really happy this idea was approved. I hope it comes soon enough available to regular members. Can't wait to use/help.
Old April 29th, 2013, 03:26 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
Member of the Year has nothing to do with the Member Interaction Center, so if that's what you want to talk about and maybe get more of, please make a new thread to discuss that. :/
Well, considering this is the forum to get to know about members, if (and hopefully never) they hold it, shouldn't it be held in the Member's Interaction forum?

Anyways.

Old April 29th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Dakota
ignore the whisper

^No. How does holding the MotM, which is essentially a popularity contest, being held in a section where you find out more about people make any sense?

Last edited by Dakota; April 29th, 2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Typo
Old April 29th, 2013, 03:36 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodex View Post
^No. How does holding the MotM, which is essentially a popularity contest, being help in a section where you find out more about people make any sense?
Oh well, I guess that makes sense. Just because of the forum name and the contest name, etc.

Old April 29th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Antemortem
it's the end of all things

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Like Dipu said, MotY is nothing more than people voting on other people in categories they think they are appropriate in. In very little ways does that relate to a section made for members interacting and engaging themselves in things that allow them to grow closer to each other.
Old April 29th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Nathan
don't approach
Community Supporter

If I think well, this forum is for users to meet and get closer to each and maybe create bonds so I do not see how an event like this would fit.
And I see what you meant droomph.
Old April 29th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Wait, so when's the trail run going to begin, Nick? I wanna experience it from the start lmao.

EDIT: TRIAL RUN

Last edited by Dakota; April 29th, 2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: MY GOD
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Nathan
don't approach
Community Supporter

Maybe after they choose a moderator, create the rules, prepares something. I dunno. Or is everything ready to begin Patchisou?
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:36 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Give us some time, guys! =p If we go with a prototype subsection (I think that's ideal so the supporter's section won't be suddenly cluttered), we'd need to have an admin make it (so Nick can't just do it all himself), someone will need to write up at least some prototype rules/guidelines about the forum section, and so forth. If we go with a trial sign up process then there'd need to be a thread for that too.

I doubt we'd choose a mod from the getgo, especially for a trial. We'll worry about that when it happens though.

Old April 30th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
Since they have nothing to do with each other, but the former is held less often due to it becoming a popularity contest, I must then ask: If the MIC starts becoming a popularity contest, will it then close? Do you feel that testing it on supporters will give you ample enough variation to distinguish if it will?

I guess that's what testing is all about haha.. but I was just wondering how strict on popularity this might actually be.
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
If the MIC starts becoming a popularity contest, will it then close? Do you feel that testing it on supporters will give you ample enough variation to distinguish if it will?
I remember stating before that this is something that'll be pretty much inevitable, though. You're going to have the more "popular" members of PC getting a heck of a lot more replies than those that are a lot less well-known, and really, there's not much that can be done about that. It's just the nature of how PC is, and because people are somewhat less inclined (generally speaking) to approach a member that they don't know, rather than approach someone they do know and ask them questions.

yay, the big 14k!
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Just a bit strange to me that if it's inevitable.. that this would still be happening.

But hopefully staff can sort out some sort of scheme that will be fair to everyone (including answering/not answering personal questions.)
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
Just a bit strange to me that if it's inevitable.. that this would still be happening.
See, here's the thing that I believe really separates the two (and anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here):

When you're considering something huge like MOTM, the categories, and everything else is almost always "rigged" (or claimed to be, anyway). It seems that the categories are meant to be tailored towards a specific member, or a specific group of members. The votes themselves can also be biased, which is why MOTM/MOTY became such a huge controversy, as a lot of you know.

When concerning the MIC, there really isn't much bias to work off of in the first place. It's really up to the person and whether they're up to approaching someone that they don't know and ask them questions. It's the same way as getting to know someone new in real life: Are you good with meeting new people, or are you just more comfortable asking questions to your friends? I feel that this would be one of the major factors that influences people when the forum is made.
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Well let's just hope that this pans out in the end.

But as a side note: I swear to God, if I see ANY member, (and I'm calling you out Nica, specifically, as an example because you do this too much even still, and I hate seeing it)
...but if I see you, or anyone else trying to pimp out their thread ("HEY GUYS ASK ME SOMETHING *LINK*") anywhere, including IRC and the Showdown server, ESPECIALLY before saying even a simple freaking hello to me (or anyone else that you ask,) I'm calling you out as trying to pander for popularity, screenshotting, and reporting.

I understand that maybe this will only cause whatever member to avoid saying it when they see me around, but I encourage other members to not give in to it for the community's sake (including newer members!)

I am just sick of this behaviour and I wanted to note it here.
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
Well let's just hope that this pans out in the end.

But as a side note: I swear to God, if I see ANY member, (and I'm calling you out Nica, specifically, as an example because you do this too much even still, and I hate seeing it)
...but if I see you, or anyone else trying to pimp out their thread ("HEY GUYS ASK ME SOMETHING *LINK*") anywhere, including IRC and the Showdown server, ESPECIALLY before saying even a simple freaking hello to me (or anyone else that you ask,) I'm calling you out as trying to pander for popularity, screenshotting, and reporting.

I understand that maybe this will only cause whatever member to avoid saying it when they see me around, but I encourage other members to not give in to it for the community's sake (including newer members!)

I am just sick of this behaviour and I wanted to note it here.
...Um..excuse me if I'm missing something here...but is there anything particularly rule-breaking about "pander for popularity?"

Is it obnoxious? And is it unfair? Yes, I suppose you can say that (though I guess it depends on who you ask?). But is it really breaking any rules in particular? Not that I'm aware of, unless a staff member can correct me on that. o_o
Old April 30th, 2013, 11:26 AM
derozio
my ghost is whispering to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
It isn't against the rules but it goes against the very reason why MIC is being organized. If users who're already quite popular engage in something like that, this whole thing would just be a waste. Because, if I understand the concept correctly (sorry, haven't really been following this thread. was busy with rl stuff!), it is basically a project intended to bring the whole community together by allowing everyone almost an equal chance to get to know each other. It loses its 'fairness', and quite frankly, its meaning if popular members pander for even more popularity.

So yeah. I agree with Kura. This shouldn't be allowed.
Old April 30th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nope, but the whole reason other things were closed were because of popularity issues (like just stated MOTY) and people feeling bad about them.

When I am approached just to be a number in some thread, I feel bad about it. When I am approached again in the same way after sending PMs about the previous instances, then I feel even worse. When a member feels bad then it shouldn't be something that is taken lightly, IMO..

There's nothing wrong with reporting, and just being able to show others that this is going on, is enough for me. Mods can do whatever actions they want about it. And even if they take no action, if what happened to me is still made aware, I am happy enough.

So I will report if I see it, just to share. That's all. I personally think others should do the same, but others are entitled enough to do what they see fit when in a similar situation.

PS: I am mainly talking about promotion-abuse here by the way.. I'm not going to report measly mentions of things so don't worry, peeps.
Old April 30th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derozio View Post
It isn't against the rules but it goes against the very reason why MIC is being organized. If users who're already quite popular engage in something like that, this whole thing would just be a waste. Because, if I understand the concept correctly (sorry, haven't really been following this thread. was busy with rl stuff!), it is basically a project intended to bring the whole community together by allowing everyone almost an equal chance to get to know each other. It loses its 'fairness', and quite frankly, its meaning if popular members pander for even more popularity.

So yeah. I agree with Kura. This shouldn't be allowed.
I brought up a few points here with Kura in the Showdown chat, and we had some discussion about it, and there are a few issues that I have with outlawing it completely:

Well first off, what are you defining as "pandering for popularity"? Is there a clear line separating "HEY GUYS, POST IN MY THREAD (link)" versus "hey guys, I hope you dont mind, but can anyone post in my mic thread? ^^ (link)". I've established this point a lot in the chat, because the last thing that I would want is the staff coming down as overbearing on an innocent member that simply wants more questions to be asked about themselves, and personally, I don't see anything wrong with that.

I mean, is it really said person's fault that they're "PC popular"? I feel like banning that kind of stuff very slightly implies the such, really. Everyone should be given the opportunity to be known, but if you put your thread out there, yes, chances are you're going to get more replies, and chances are it is kind of unfair that the lesser known people get less replies. But again, do you have alternative solutions besides banning it that can resolve that dilemma? I feel that (though I can be wrong) solutions are very limited, because that would be interfering with the very environment of PC, in a sense.

Just thought I'd put that out there.
Old April 30th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

I posted an alternate solution earlier about how this could be handled.. which was the 2-thread based thing.. whilst (trying to incorporate some of your ideas too Twilight Sky) but I think only just Droomph saw it.. haha.. but even though his post was nice as inspiration, I see a lot of cattiness on Reddit I wouldn't want to bring here.
However, I didn't see WHY we can't have what I mentioned instead? Do you all just prefer a section or something to stand out? Isn't standing out what we're avoiding?

But.. honestly? I am curious to see how this goes. And if it falls apart then something else might be a good answer to it. Hopefully it goes well (if it's still going through) and this is unneeded.

I mean to bring this all up as worst case scenarios.. but it's happened before and I rather people be made aware than not.
I'm not here just to nitpick, like you say, but I do just want to bring it up.

Hope it doesn't get to that, and hope it goes smoothly.

This whole thread just reminded me of something I need to say in the Staff Feedback thread.

Last edited by Kura; April 30th, 2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old April 30th, 2013, 11:53 AM
derozio
my ghost is whispering to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
You make a valid point, Derk. When I said "this shouldn't be allowed", I actually didn't mean outright making it equivalent to a punishable offense. I was basically just saying how it defeats the point and is something I wouldn't like seeing. Hadn't really thought of a way to counter the problem that you've brought up, haha.

But yeah. You're right when it comes to the fact that it may not really be possible to segregate PC members into groups like 'popular' and 'not-so-popular' as there's no yardstick available for us to measure popularity by. It ain't black and white. After all, a member that's considered popular in a certain part of PC might not be as popular in other areas and different people have different views about their popularity, as a result. We're aiming to give everyone a fair chance. But we aren't doing that if we're basically letting some people ask others to post in their thread while denying a few others based on something as arbitrary as the 'amount of popularity' the person is associated with. That's what you wish to say, right?

The only way to deal with it, I think, is to go with what Kura's suggesting. Reporting cases where some members feel as if a popular member is trying to pimp out their thread would bring it in the staff's notice. And it isn't as if the report is immediately acted upon by a single staff member and we call it a case closed. We, quite a lot of times, have lengthy discussions regarding what sort of action should be taken in case there's a situation that's a little difficult to deal with. All of the staff team ponder over it and provide their thoughts. And then we go with majority.

This wouldn't work if something like this happened
>Kura reports
>Dero sees report
>Dero punishes the person concerned since they're "Popular" in dero's eyes
>closes report so that no other staff member notices it

But that won't happen, in my opinion. Because we all do talk on lengths about cases where things are unclear. Blurry lines, so to speak.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here