The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Which one did you prefer?
Heartgold 40 42.55%
Soulsilver 54 57.45%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:29 PM
GenOneNostalgia

Nature: Timid

Advertise here
Soul Silver all the way. As a kid, pokemon was kinda my thing. Red/Blue were my bread and butter. Then came Gen 2 .. with new pokemon, a new region .. and right along with it, my whole life was changing. I have a very nostalgic, warm place in my heart for Silver .. and the Gen IV remake has been like a walk down memory lane .. allowing me to make new memories in the process. Really, that's what pokemon is all about for me.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:35 PM
UltraPyrus
Wizu Wizu!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to UltraPyrus
HeartGold, it has much better Pokemon than SoulSilver did.
Old May 4th, 2013, 06:29 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I like HeartGold, mainly because of Ho-Oh's majestic design and offensive nature in battle.

Old May 4th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Sheep
may the stars shine down on you

HeartGold! Ho-Oh has an amazing backstory and I find it to have a better design than Lugia. Plus HG gets the amazing Growlithe and Kyogre, so that's definitely an easy choice for me. :D

whooo clubs
family twin
my star
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Bumfluff1202

Heart Gold for me mainly because I prefer Ho-Oh over Lugia, the Pokemon you can catch I think are better too.
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Diversion
Mega Aerodactyl.

Nature: Serious
There isn't really much difference between the two.
But I like Soul Silver better, though I played Gold and Heart Gold first.
And to be honest I like Ho-oh better, because it's offensive in battle.
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:18 PM
TenaciousWolf
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Modest
I chose Heart Gold, mostly because I prefer Ho-oh over Lugia and many of the other version exclusives as well. I also tend to go for the under rated of the two games (Black version, Ruby version, etc.), and I saw that everyone wanted Soul Silver, so I went for Heart Gold.

Forever a fan of Lickitung.
Old May 11th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Xenkia

I like SoulSilver more because of Lugia. I also like the colour silver more than gold.
Old May 12th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

I initially chose SoulSilver as I love Lugia (well, loved - it's not that great now I've owned it IMO). But I eventually switched to HeartGold mainly due to wanting to get Growlithe (Emerald and LeafGreen both had Vulpix, but I had yet to own a Growlithe) and Phanpy.
So although I don't especially like Ho-oh, it's definitely superior. Partially due to superior version-exclusives (when I initially wasn't a fan of Magby and family, Growlithe meant I could pick Totodile as a starter - Arcanine and Feraligatr were both in my team the first time I beat Red), but also as somehow heading up the tower to meet Ho-oh in the middle of an ancient city seems more of a climax than diving down into some islands to meet a pokémon that has little back-story even in its own game. The only thing that does annoy me is the lack of Delibird. Yes, it's an awful pokémon but I'd still like to own one.
Old May 18th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Liquid Halo
Tortured Vampire

Nature: Lonely
Silver was my preference of the originals, it was the second ever game I owned/played after yellow and it turned out my best friend (who had gotten me into the games) had chosen Gold. We pretty much beat them together, trading to help each other out, mystery gift and we even both beat the elite four sitting right next to each other at a sleepover.

I had even traded all my Yellow bests over to it including mewtwo, the legendary birds and my first ever caught pokemon, a pigeot called Windy. I ended up reaching 17 elite four defeats and 3 level 100's including Windy. I remember catching Lugia with a single greatball on my trainer. I hadn't realized that until I found it and since it was such a ***** getting through the whirl islands I said 'screw it, I'll just keep resetting until the damn great ball works' but all be damned it worked the first time.

It still bums me out to think how it's all gone now. It died in around 07. I had just barely found out they could die as my gold had the previous year.

So out of nastalgic biased I chose Soul Silver and Windy now has a son, Windy II. :D
Once I get a job I'll probably end up buying Heart Gold though.

I just realized something. I recently started a new Soul Silver file in which I just today won my first bug catching contest with a male butterfree, exactly what happened in my original! <3

My screenshot album
http://pinterest.com/darknesswithin/pokemon-games/

Last edited by Liquid Halo; May 18th, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Going purely on color (...omg that sounds awful i'm sorry), I pick SoulSilver. The version exclusives in both games don't stand out to me all too much, other than Vulpix and Growlithe, though I like them equally. So yeah. Only thing that really pulls me over the edge to one of the two is that silver is one of my favorite colors, and for you oldies out that, my name sake for the beginning of my PC career. So yeah!
Old May 21st, 2013, 03:11 AM
Hoenn
» Just a cat and mouse game
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
Soul Silver.

It's always been Silver for me, ever since playing GSC.

Old May 21st, 2013, 03:44 AM
Nuke

Community Supporter

This is the only set of games for which I have had both at some point (currently owning Soul Silver). Heart Gold is my preference due to Ho-Oh, but unfortunately I could only buy SS when I bought for the second time.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:49 PM
Liquid Halo
Tortured Vampire

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Going purely on color (...omg that sounds awful i'm sorry), I pick SoulSilver. The version exclusives in both games don't stand out to me all too much, other than Vulpix and Growlithe, though I like them equally. So yeah. Only thing that really pulls me over the edge to one of the two is that silver is one of my favorite colors, and for you oldies out that, my name sake for the beginning of my PC career. So yeah!
It's not terrible, color preference is why I chose the original Silver and Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Heart Gold is my preference due to Ho-Oh
Both Lugia and Ho-Oh are in BOTH versions, so that is not a difference. I think that classifies as color preference.

My screenshot album
http://pinterest.com/darknesswithin/pokemon-games/
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:01 AM
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
soul silver, my mum bought me home pokemon silver for the gameboy. so i have childhood attachments to it. plus i like the colour silver more. but i prefer ho-oh, and i get ho-oh on a higher level. ;)
Old May 26th, 2013, 09:31 PM
ISNorden
Teddiursa

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Yahoo to ISNorden
SoulSilver; it's got my favorite species (Teddiursa) available to catch, and HeartGold doesn't.

" Coming this fall to Jubilife TV: Lost Beyond Space!"
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Fernando Torres
Class on grass
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I think I speak for all the people who are 4th gen fanatics when I say HG/SS are the best Pokémon games ever. They polished all the graphics, added new features, made pokemon follow you, and gave you the option to turn on original GB sounds. I find no problems with these games because they're perfect in every way. HG/SS are my favorite pokemon games ever.
Old June 9th, 2013, 08:18 AM
SteveTaylor
Unhatched Egg

HeartGold. HO-OH, MAN. C'MON. HO-OH.
Old June 9th, 2013, 07:47 PM
hisalness56

I had Silver version back in the day so I had to get Soul Silver first. I ended up with both but Silver was my game of choice so Soul Silver
Old June 10th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Daixtey
That One Totodile

Send a message via Skype™ to Daixtey
I bought Both of them on the day they were realeased but I ended up playing through Soulsilver but not through Heartgold so Soulsilver was my Favourite but its hard to tell because both versions had hardly any differences.
Old June 10th, 2013, 05:10 PM
SubVirus

I enjoyed SoulSilver more then heartgold but i don't really know why. i like both of the legendaries
Old June 21st, 2013, 11:39 PM
Starry Windy
Take a tour ride.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
I like Ho-Oh, so I picked HeartGold all the way.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old June 24th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Therizinosaurus

soulsilver, because im a sucker for alliteration. i own both (actually have two copies of heart gold) but i always hate fighting my way through the bell tower. why would an ancient tower have so many traps and such as stupid maze? it makes more sense to have the maze in the whirl islands, and for that i like soul silver more.
Old June 25th, 2013, 04:11 AM
R.F.
Badass Overlord

Nature: Calm
Soulsilver, mainly because it has the (for me) better exclusives. Though it has slightly less Pokemon than Heartgold...

Also I had already played Gold, so what would be a better choice than Soulsilver?
Old June 25th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Zythrone
The One And Only!

Nature: Naughty
I only played soul Silver... so that I guess.

"I prepared Explosive Runes this morning"
-Vaarsuvius-

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here