Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation
Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:29 PM
The Amazing Justin
The Original Player

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0

Advertise here
For my 100th post, I thought I go back to where I began, a book end if you will and go back to FireRed and LeafGreen. When I was kid, I only used my Bulbasaur and somehow managed to beat the eight gym leaders before losing to my rival. So I wanted to ask, how long in the game did it take for you to assemble a full team? Also, did you get a full team and swap out members after doing so?
Old April 30th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Recluse
The Harbinger of Solitude
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Usually after 4th-5th gym I managed to have a stable, full team. I rarely swapped one or two Pokemon afterwards.
Old May 1st, 2013, 06:28 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I have my team by the fifth gym leader battle.
Old May 1st, 2013, 06:41 AM
pokem0nprincess

Nature: Quirky
I've played through each game once, LeafGreen being the first game I ever finished. In that one, I had a team right away but I didn't understand typing so my team was really awful and I mostly relied on my Blastoise and the legendaries I had caught to beat the Elite Four. To this day I don't have a legit team in that game. But in FireRed I had a very controlled team that I had planned from the beginning and traded all my pokemon from LeafGreen to start off with as babies. I had five Pokemon on my team through all the gyms, but then I caught a Scyther in the Safari Zone to add to my team and beat the E4 with it. Usually though, I try to add a pokemon to my team at every gym or every two gyms until I get to the last one and have a full team of six. FRLG were special cases for me.
Gotta collect 'em all! (seriously, I'm trying.)
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:17 AM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

Nature: Timid
I never have a set place that I have a full team, but I don't like to have them all too quickly. I prefer having them all after maybe...the 6th or 7th badge. But it can happen sooner, and indeed it has happened sooner.

paired to crono
Old May 1st, 2013, 06:19 PM
Emfg

I always had battles with my friend in Leaf Green so I usually took the strongest pokemon I could get (generally legendaries). I can't remember much of Leaf Green though.

I believe I had a team of Blastoise, being my main pokemon because my friend had a charizard but also a venusaur which I gave him, with a Groudon to counter his venusaur. Also had a Raikou which I managed to catch after like a month.

If I remember correctly this was my exact team:
-Blastoise
-Kyogre
-Rayquaza
-Groudon
-Raikou
-Tyrannitar

Yeah...
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:36 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
I rarely plan my team out in advance, so it usually takes me until between the fifth and sixth Gyms to get a full party of Pokemon. At that point, I'll usually rotate 8 or so Pokemon through my six slots right until I've beaten the Elite Four, since I can rarely pick favorites on my team.

I know that once I did manage to have my team full by the time I got to Erika (the fourth Gym), but most of them didn't last on my team for the entirety of the game.

Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: DARK // NORMAL
Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:00 AM
awolfsquared
Prattoween
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
In FRLG I rarely had or do have a team planned out so it was whatever I liked alot. In my last playthrough, I didn't have my final team around getting the 7th or 8th badge so clearly I don't really get full team for a while.

Andy and April's Halloween party: "Someone will die" "...of fun!" "And of murder..."
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to

Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:57 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I plan my team before hand, and I'll have the last member when I can access it in the game. But I'll always have my team before the Elite 4.
Old May 10th, 2013, 11:10 AM
PokemonTrainerC.White
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Calm
Before the second gym, Jigglypuff, Mankey, Starter, Pidgey, Caterpie, Zubat.
Old May 10th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Xevatiz
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Lonely
I have my team before first Gym.
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I usually try to plan ahead and have a general idea of what pokemons I'd like to use. In the end i have a list of about 8-10 pokemon that i'd like to have in my team, and i normally have a full/stable team around the 6th badge, unless i really want to have a pokemon that can only be caught later on in the game

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old June 6th, 2013, 11:45 PM
King Of Pokemon
Pokemon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
I plan my team before hand, and I'll have the last member when I can access it in the game. But I'll always have my team before the Elite 4.
You do the same thing I do.
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
I used to plan out teams before I started playing. I used to stick to my comfort zone mixed teams that would counter the Rival's team. But since I started doing challenges, I tend to simply build up teams as I go.

"We will kill your enemies. That will be fun."
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
I didn't have my sixth Pokemon, Jynx, until I beat the last gym leader. But I had my first 5 by the 5th gym I think.
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:50 AM
SubVirus

I have a team of 6 by the 6th caught pokemon. I keep switching them out as I catch better pokemon and i don't really plan out my team unless i'm doing a challenge. Generally my pokemon are stable by the 3rd gym. Except I have a hard time in gen 5 with doing it this way... I tend to have to plan somewhat in gen 5.
Poison Monotype Challenge: 4 out of 6 Generations Completed
Fire Red | Soul Silver | Omega Ruby | Flawless Platinum 2/8 | Blaze Black | X
Old June 7th, 2013, 11:06 PM
F13rC Pulse

Depends on what I want.
Usually what I want is different each time.
Training for EVs you want and EXP is super easy with the Versus Seeker, so I don't mind waiting until I get to the Safari Zone or late Routes for my full team.

Once I fished for the rare Grimer in Celadon's pond instead of waiting until reaching Cinnabar to finish a team, which takes a lot of patience.

Between Leaf Green and Fire Red, there are still some Pokémon I haven't used - Golduck, Vileplume, Chansey, Pinsir, Scyther, Dugtrio - to name a few, but as a rule, I avoid Pokémon that gained evolutions in Gen IV or trade evolutions.

Sometimes I don't even go for the full team if I want a quick playthrough to see what Pokémon I like.
Makes distributing Rare Candies for the end much more of a boon.
Making my own Fakedex here.
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Kitty_Boom
Unhatched Egg

I usually have a stable team assembled by the 4th or 5th gym, but I never plan teams out, so it varies.
I find the games are a lot more fun when you just make a team on a whim because you found the next best member while you were training. It's fun seeing your team come together from scratch.
Caleb's PokePet

Fishy the level 38 Gyarados!

Old June 8th, 2013, 09:26 AM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
First I get Squirtle, then I catch a Pidgey at Route 1. Catch a Pikachu in Viridian Forest, Catch a Geodude at Mt. Moon, Catch a Abra and Bellsprout/Oddish north of Cerulean City.

I have my entire team before my second badge.
T!M
Old June 8th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

First time through was pretty typical...started with Bulbasaur, finished evolving Dragonite. So the longest it's ever taken me is to get all 6 members capturing Dratini in Fuchsia City.

I never swap in/out team members in LeafGreen, at least until after becoming Champion as the level curves too steep to avoid tedious amounts of grinding (that's not counting making sure Dratini is a Dragonair before heading out for Seafoam Islands, otherwise it just gets killed). Well, actually its not entirely true. When I did a run using the team of Red out of PokéSpe I swapped Eevee out later on as it was too weak and I had 7 members. Also because he didn't use it in the Pokémon League :)
Old June 9th, 2013, 12:46 PM
✯Shigeru✯
I Dropped The Lift Key...

Nature: Impish
Usually by the time I go to the Sevi Islands for the first time I'll have my whole team. As late as I can remember going without a full team is right before the e4 when i caught and used an Articuno.
I ♥ Symmetry

Old June 9th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Synchronous
Lying is my forte, you know?
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Synchronous
The Kanto starters were a bit underpowered. The legendary birds, too. And they were abused. Most people underestimated the potential of Pokemon like Kingler.

I never had a full team of six, but nevertheless, it was a full team.

Kingler, Alakazam, Dragonite, Espeon. This amazing clutch team was never defeated.
Old June 11th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Nocte Aeterna
The Evening Judge

I generally have a full team assembled by the time I beat Koga.
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
It depends on the type of game I'm playing. If it's Platinum, just after I get the Rio-Egg. If it's Ruby, then I have to wait until finishing the last gym in order to get meself a Salamence.

That way, in FR/LG, I suppose as soon as Cinnabar I get myself the Dewgong, so yes again until the 7th gym. It's not so bad either, I content myself with my starter until the third gym or so. In fact, I guess that the Dewgong is gotten much later than my other Pokémon, because my team usually has a Pidgeot, Venusaur, Flareon/Arcanine, Golem and Dragonite/Alakazam already.
~
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Aurora
dead until the 29th

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Aurora
I never managed to get past the fifth Gym or so when I had access to my FireRed game, but I am quite sure that I had a full team prior to that (usually, my team is quickly assembled out of early-game Pokemon whom I feel have some sort of potential). Knowing me, I probably managed to assemble a full team by the time I reached Erika.
/╲/\╭( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)╮/\╱\

server modblogmy lovely pair <3twitterfighting for social justice • skype me: auroracr9826
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here