Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Old May 2nd, 2013 (05:02 PM).
Arcturus.
Chews nails and spits napalm

Nature: Quiet
Day 03 - A game that is underrated
To be honest, I don't have a good answer for this since I mostly play well-known games. If I had to pick one, it would be...I don't know, Supreme Commander 2. It's pretty fun play but it doesn't seem to get as many players as it should.
CSS|VM/PM|THEME
Old May 2nd, 2013 (10:09 PM).
Boomburst
tumblr famous doesn't count
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
Day 03 - A video game that is underrated

Most games that people talk about which are underrated are games I actually know. I can't really say anything to this though, although if I did it would probably be a bunch of indie titles like cave story and Ben there dan that.

ll say though that rare's Viva Pinata series was quite overlooked as a whole die to Microsoft's purchase of ware and there overall diminishing quality of there games. About the game itself - it's a weird mix between Pokemon and animal crossing with some elements from harvest moon thrown in.
#714 Noibat
Supporter Collab January 2015
TUMBLR.
REVIEW BLOG.

Old May 3rd, 2013 (12:08 AM).
Brendino
Thank you Marty!

Day 04 - Your favorite video game accessory(s)

If I had to go with my one favorite gaming accessory, it would have to be my Action Replay Max that I had for my Playstation 2. Looking back on it, I rarely used it for any sort of actual cheating, but the fact that it gave me the ability to import other people's gamesaves right onto my memory card was mindblowing for me back in 2004. It also gave me the ability to play Sega Genesis ROMs on my PS2 from a CD-R, which I thought was pretty awesome, too.

Another of my favorites would easily have to go to the game link cable for the Game Boy (Color), since trading and battling with others really added a whole new dimension to Pokemon. Lastly, as essential as it is, I love my digital camo PS3 controller, since all I had before that were the standard ones for any of my consoles.
Old May 3rd, 2013 (04:33 AM).
MeerFall
Strong, Competitive, Cool!

Nature: Brave
Day 03 - A video game that is underrated
Rune factory and harvest moon can sometimes be underrated
My reshiam keyring, pokemon strap and pokemon stylus and my twin (my most favourite accessory)
Old May 3rd, 2013 (05:00 AM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky

I really love those stickers that you can add on to your game consoles or handheld devices to make them look stylish. Also, I do enjoy specialized styluses like those pokemon ones, as well as this light that I used to have that was specifically for the Game Boy Advance, which worked well in dark places.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old May 3rd, 2013 (08:37 AM). Edited May 3rd, 2013 by trotz59.
trotz59
Professor in-training

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to trotz59
Day 03 - video game that is underrated

Pokemon black and white. Now obviously I'm guessing that the majority of people in this for enjoy or at least tolerate these games, but they are constantly being criticized by genwunners, average people and even prevalent Pokemon fans.
Now, first of all, these games have undeniable the best storyline of any main series Pokemon game. Not only does the story actually teach a lesson, it helps to better understand the Pokemon world. Not to mention it's realistic but at the same time fantastic.
Also, as with every generation, gen V helped improve moves effeciantly , as well as increased gameplay to a better level.

Tackling the criticism of "stupid Pokemon", I can list a much longer list of gen 1 Pokemon (as well as all other gens) that are based off the same "stupid" principals of gen 5 Pokemon. I love Pokemon like muk, and jynx but things lik them are just as bizarre as the new gens

De-Cals I suppose, I'm not very big on accessories

Info
YouTube: NidoGia
Twitter: trotz59
Tumblr: trotz59 (barely use)
Deviantart: ka-ting (very old, barely updated)
Serebii and Bulbagarden forum accounts: trotz59
Old May 3rd, 2013 (08:43 AM).
thedestinedblade
Radiant Cool Boy
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild

Was never too big on accessories. I did have a Action Replay for the Game Boy, but never figured out how to actually use it, lol. I kinda enjoyed the Super Game Boy for the SNES (if that counts) but other than that, nothing else comes to mind.
Old May 3rd, 2013 (08:57 AM).
JayD
I‘m not going to die. Because I’m the one who will protect you.
Community Supporter

Nintendo's Speedboard.

Uhm...I would say... the DDR mat. Since I like DDR and it was a arcarde only game, until they released the home version of the game with the mat
Old May 3rd, 2013 (10:21 AM).
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed

Completely useless now but I'm gonna go ahead and say the worm light for GB(C). It made it possible to play the games in the dark and as far as usefulness, I can't really think of any other accessory that measures up.

For something more recent, I'll say my hot pink PS Vita case. :D It's the Hori Hard Pouch and I only got it the other week for my birthday but it's so nice to be able to carry my Vita around safely in something that isn't an old mitten. I love the colour.
Old May 3rd, 2013 (10:27 AM).
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
Day 4-What is your favorite accessory?

Without question it's the Gameboy Advance Player for the Nintendo Gamecube. There is nothing quite like playing games like Fire Emblem and Pokemon Emerald and getting that Super Nintendo feel.
Old May 3rd, 2013 (11:22 AM).
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter

Day 4-What is your favorite accessory?

Super Game Boy!

The SuperNES equivalent of the Game Boy Player for the GameCube. In the days before the Game Boy Color, this let us play our Game Boy games with some colour. Like with the GBC, some older games had colour palettes built into the SGB. Other games were built for the SGB and had colour on par with early GBC games. Later on, the non-exclusive GBC games would work on the cartridge too. Custom borders. Some games got improved music or two player functionality through the SNES controllers.

If you weren't playing a game that made use of any of these features, you could still configure the colour a bit - didn't look great though. Like the palettes you could cycle through on the GBC but with many more options.
Old May 3rd, 2013 (02:50 PM).
Boomburst
Community Supporter

Day 04 - Your favourite video game accessory(s)

I really like the mouse I use for my computer for gaming and general use. I also picked up a cheap gamepad at Game for about £10 and I use it for my PC and Tablet and it works really well. It also has turbo functions so I can make games ridiculous easy as well!

I also like the stylus I have for my 3DS and Wii U I got from a accessory pack for a 3DS. It's shaped like a pen and feels very comfortable.
#714 Noibat
TUMBLR.
REVIEW BLOG.

Old May 3rd, 2013 (03:39 PM).
Arcturus.
Chews nails and spits napalm

Day 04 - Your favourite video game accessory(s)

My favorite video game accessory is probably my metal styluses for my DSi. I got tired of buying plastic ones that always seemed to break in some weird way, so I got these and haven't bought a replacement set yet.
CSS|VM/PM|THEME
Old May 4th, 2013 (05:10 AM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Day 05 - Your favourite video game character(s)

Let's see...

Some of my favourite video game characters include Yuri Lowell, from Tales of Vesperia, because he has quite the spoinky attitude when it came to situations, plus, he has quite the sarcastic side too, which is always cool. There's also Arietta, the Wild from Tales of Abyss, because she's really cute, and I'm really sad that she turned out to be a villain, because she had the potential to be a hero, and 'part of the hero group'.There's also Ange Serena, from Tales of Innocence, in which if you've played Tales of Abyss, you'll see that she's essentially a female Jade. Pascal from Tales of Graces, because she's just... crazy.

Special mentions go to:
~ Rita from Tales of Vesperia
~ Zelos from Tales of Symphonia
~ Nanaly from Tales of Destiny 2
~ Lorne from Tales of Legendia
~ Arche from Tales of Phantasia
~ and Raven from Tales of Vesperia

Outside of the Tales series, (and I already said this on another thread) for the Sonic characters, I would say my favourite character from the Sonic series would have to be Tails and, well, if she counts, Wave the Swallow, because they're both pretty brilliant when it comes to technology. Well, granted, Dr. Eggman is also pretty brilliant and I like him too, but, I just... don't care for his personality sometimes. I just really like Tails's bright and happy side, with a strong desire to help his friends out with technology, and with Wave, you know -- she's someone that knows what she wants, and well, I do like her kind of "spunky" yet snobby attitude.

Special mentions go to:
~ Juri from Street Fighter
~ Ema Skye from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
~ Maya Fey from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old May 4th, 2013 (05:20 AM).
JayD
I‘m not going to die. Because I’m the one who will protect you.
Community Supporter

I would say... Toad. He's just so cute and lovable with his mushroom hat on his head
Old May 4th, 2013 (08:39 PM). Edited May 4th, 2013 by thedestinedblade.
thedestinedblade
Radiant Cool Boy
Community Supporter

Day 05 - Your favorite video game character(s)

Rock Howard from the Fatal Fury (Garou) series is up there. He's automatically a badass for being a mix of Geese and Terry who are great characters in their own right. Cool theme, great fighting style, and the best winning pose of all time, lol.

Paula from Earthbound is another one, but I couldn't really give you the exact reasons. Not the most original design, or deep character, but she's been a favorite of mine ever since since playing Earthbound. There's just something endearing about her character for me.
Old May 4th, 2013 (09:41 PM).
Brendino
Thank you Marty!

For the number of video games that I've played over the years, there aren't too many characters that I can think of that've been memorable in my eyes, so I've always found it hard to pick a favorite (it also doesn't help that 50% of the games I owned growing up were sports games, which don't really have characters).

If I'm picking just one favorite, though, it would be Tails from the Sonic series of games (like I said before, the early Sonic games really defined my childhood). As a kid, I loved the name pun that he had of Miles Prower, he had a love of mechanics and technology just like I did, and was even my favorite color- orange. No other character really seemed to have a similar connection to me since then, which is why Tails has been my de facto favorite for quite a while.
Old May 5th, 2013 (12:38 AM). Edited May 5th, 2013 by DavidtheDeadPhilosopher.
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest

Sonic the Hedgehog I've always loved what Sonic represented, at least to me,which is a free spirit. Someone who just does what he wants while still having a strong sense of character and justice. I love his attitude, I love the way he moves when he does certain things (I loved watching him fight in Brawl!) Although I will say I have disliked him in Colors...but overall he's still one of my favorites.

Doctor Eggman (Robotnik) I just love him. He's just...the right amount of cheesy, yet totally viable threat. He's had some kinda floppy apperences (Colors and Generations), but when he brings on his A-Game (Adventure 2), he really brings his A-Game. Also I find it pretty awesome that he's persistent enough to fight Classic Sonic through every stage. I admit that sometimes his boss battle voice clips are annoying but overall, I love the character enough to forgive it. He also has some sweet boss music to back him up
Spoiler:

Zulf (Bastion)- Zulf is an amazing character.
Spoiler:
Zulf was on of those characters that hooks you in emotionally almost instantly, with the loss of his wife on his shoulders even before you manage to meet him. Meeting him at all is a super important moment in the game, it shows there are other surviors of The Calamity. I felt instantly betrayed when he turncoats, but once I found out why he turncoated, I wasn't sure if the side I was fighting was even the right one, and when we finally do meet again, I had to make the choice to leave him behind or forgive him and carry him home. When I choose to carry him home despite what he did, I nearly cried. It was a very powerful moment that crafted a very powerful character.

Solid Snake- I will start off by saying I've never played MGS 4. Hopefully that won't change my mind or anything, but I just love Solid Snake. He truly is just one of those characters, I'm almost always smiling ear to ear while I'm playing through Metal Gear Solid. He's so multi layered. I shared a laugh, was impressed by his knowledge and insight, felt his sorrows. Snake is one of the most fleshed out characters ever put into gaming (IMO). It does help that his supporting cast really allows him to build off of them. Snake is at his best when he's interacting with others. He's my fav when it comes to the ultra-cool hero types (easily beating out Dante, Kratos, etc, etc, etc,)

Luigi and Waluigi I've always had a thing for sidekicks, when I was younger I really preferred Tails over Sonic, Robin over Batman, and so on and so forth. I've grew out of alot of those, but Luigi always stuck with me. I always felt bad that Mario had shared the spotlight, even more so in the past, when the biggest difference between the two was their jump height and traction. I like Luigi more as a character, His victories seem more satisfying to me considering how frightful and un-confident he is.

I feel that way even more so with Waluigi, who I feel just needs a spotlight. He's been basically only used as a filler slot in sports and party titles. Why not create a Wario World game with him as an alternative character? Why is his only moment of any sort of relevance in the DDR game? Someday Waluigi...it will be Waluigi time.....
Old May 5th, 2013 (12:52 AM).
Boomburst
Community Supporter

I'd probably say that I don't really have a favourite character. I like most characters from video games, but I seem to like them al equally. I do have a lot more things to say for the least liked characters though.
#714 Noibat
TUMBLR.
REVIEW BLOG.

Old May 5th, 2013 (05:25 AM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Day 06 - A Character that you don't much care for

Pretty much Alexei from Tales of Vesperia. I really don't like him, and fighting him doesn't improve my mood towards him. He's pretty much the boss who would use his MA the most times.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old May 5th, 2013 (06:04 PM).
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter

I don't know if I have one. I'll go with my Shepard from the Mass Effect series since I got to make all those choices and shape the character in a way

Hmm.... I didn't like a lot of the npc cast in Skyward Sword. Almost everyone in Tales of the Abyss bugged me XD
Old May 5th, 2013 (08:35 PM).
thedestinedblade
Radiant Cool Boy
Community Supporter

Well, this one's easy. I don't expect it to change anytime soon as I've yet to find a character as irritating as Emil from ToS: DotNW. Went into the game with big expectations as ToS has always been a game I greatly enjoyed, but they quickly crashed when the hero went from a slightly generic JRPG archetype, to a whiny, annoying and unbearable baby, who has no redeeming qualities. It's like the developers sat there and tried to make him as unlikeable as possible.

Always feels good to vent about Emil. XD
Old May 6th, 2013 (12:20 AM).
Brendino
Thank you Marty!

Day 06 - A character(s) that you don't much care for

Hmm... there aren't many characters that I can say that I didn't really like. One that does pop into mind from a game I just recently played again was Garrus from Mass Effect 2. I don't really dislike him, but every single time I went to talk to him, he'd say "Can it wait? I'm in the middle of some calibrations," yet every other character had something new to say. He was also one of the least helpful members of my team whenever I took him on a mission. So I can't say I hate him, but just didn't care for him.

Day 07 - Your recent video game purchase

I could've swore that I'd bought something since then, but it looks like my most recent purchases were my 3DS XL and Mario Kart 7 back in January, a few days after my birthday. I really love both the system and game, but I should really invest in a few more games for it other than Mario Kart and White 2.
Old May 6th, 2013 (12:31 AM).
Boomburst
Community Supporter

Day 06 - A character that you don't much care for

I really don't like N at all. He always seemed to me like a cookie cutter pretty boy with a big ego and a cliché dark past. Ghetsis, while not too interesting, was really well done in the otherwise weak Pokemon black and white, so N was a character that bored me to no end whenever he popped up.

My last purchase was a copy of Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask which I got from a car boot sale for only, no joke, £5.
#714 Noibat
TUMBLR.
REVIEW BLOG.

Old May 6th, 2013 (05:46 AM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

The Classic Legend of Zelda for NES, for the Virtual Console on the 3Ds. It's pretty much my favorite NES game, so, I'm happy that I bought it for the VC to bring back nostalgic moments. *__*

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links