The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Do you want to play your Pokémon games with a twist? Put your skills to the test with a solo run, a monotype challenge, or anything else you can think of.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:45 PM
fishyfins
Reality Sculptor

Advertise here
As said in the Shiny Hunters Club, ive just started a badgequest on SS, so i would like to sign up

username: Fishyfins
Game: Soul Silver

However, i will be playing a little more hardcore. I will be SRing for a starter, and then getting one shiny before every gym, and the elite 4. so with the starter, 8 gyms, and then the E4, ill have 10 shinies by the end. or thats the plan anyway.

Also, it goes against the grain, but i wont be using my shinies in the game itself. the challenge for me is in finding and catching them, and i have this thing where i hate using shinies i catch, cos i just like them "in as found condition" so to speak. So ill still have them, just not using them XD Is this acceptable?
Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:46 AM
Kitori
[ ICE QUEEN ]
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
@TSE: Congrats on the shiny totodile! :D

@SoulSilver10112: Sure, I'll change your challenge info. I think that trading in pokemon to breed via madusa method would be acceptable, as long as you're doing the breeding in the game you're doing the challenge on. If anyone else has a different opinion, let me know.

@Kirozane: Welcome! I'll add you to the challenge. Good luck!

@fishyfins: That's kind of a hard question for me! I think it kind of goes against the main rule of the challenge... which is not only having to find the shiny pokemon before continuing, but also not really being able to choose your team -- do you have a way to clone the shiny pokemon so you don't have to use the originals? If not, what if you had to catch a regular pokemon of the shiny species and play with that in replacement of the shiny? Like if you caught a shiny pidgey, you would catch a regular pidgey to replace it in your team. Let me know what you think! I'll add you to to the challenge.

As for me, still on vacation so I'll continue to be scarce until next week but I've got a ton of SRs done on my challenge. I stopped counting because I forgot my calculator at home. u_u; But maybe I'll get my starter before I go home!~

Let the storm rage on....
The cold never bothered me anyway.

[ TRADE THREAD | FRIEND CODE | TWITTER | CHALLENGE | PAIR♥]

Old May 25th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Nature: Quiet
I'll accept the challenge as well. I will not use anything other than MM maybe. I don't know yet. Just hope I don't forget it. This sounds a bit hard and fun.

Username: Iceman3317
Game: HeartGold.

Last edited by Iceman3317; May 25th, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old May 26th, 2013, 02:08 PM
SoulSilver10112
George the Poliwag

So far, no luck on the shiny starter. It has been roughly 6 hours of resetting, at 5 resets a minute.

Challenges:
Heartgold Nuzlocke: Completed!
Pearl Nuzlocke: Completed!
Heartgold Gender Discrimination Challenge: Completed!
Old May 27th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Paulthagerous
Master of the Dragonites

Nature: Calm
I will try this one out. I am new to these forums so go easy on me if I make an error in my posting:

Username: Paulthagerous
Game: Soul Silver

I will keep you all updated as I go along. I have never SR'd for a shiny before so this should be interesting

[edit - will use the default rules (1 starter, one by 4th gym, one by 8th gym. Will also catch the Shiny Gyarados, but won't count it as one of my captures. Not sure If I will use that one, might depend if my other 2 are completely useless or not.]
[edit 2 - changing to Soul Silver from Heart Gold]

Gen 4 Shiny Card:
Spoiler:

Friend Code: 0877 1355 2214
Friend Safari: Grass and contains Gogoat, Ivysaur, and Tangela.

Feel free to add me, please send PM with your FC so I can add you back

Last edited by Paulthagerous; May 27th, 2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Old May 28th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Kitori
[ ICE QUEEN ]

I've updated the challenger's list! I don't think I've missed anyone but let me know if you're not on it or you've gotten a shiny or badge that I haven't updated yet! :]

No luck on my starter still! I am back home now which could be a good thing or a bad thing for my challenge. xD No school but I still have work and my business to worry about. I've made shiny hunting my before-bed not-quite-sleepy-yet activity, though so I've gotten at least a half hour of SRing in a night if not more throughout the day. :3

Old May 28th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Janske
Shinyhunter - Trance for life

Nature: Jolly
Wow a lot of people added in this challenge! Sweet! haha xD. All of you guys make me want to restart Soul Silver so badly you don't even know haha xD.

Anyway sry I didn't post so much lol, I had my birthday and all other activities going on lol. Luckily now that is behind me and can hunt a bit more!

9500 RE for nidoran and nothing grr, makes me want to give it up and go on haha. Maybe try 2 games at once, I will decide later on lol.

Anyway great to see you back Kitori!! Hope ou had a great holiday! I really do wanne see those pics of the anime convention though:O! I'm still jealous lol xD
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Paulthagerous
Master of the Dragonites

Well, call it beginner's luck but after 565 SR's I got this wonderful guy:

(Cyndaquil, not allowed to post a URL link to my picture as I am so new. See in my signature!)

Well, my calculator said 565 but I am still getting used to this whole thing, so my guess is more like 700ish. Either way, I am happy Wasn't sure if I wanted him or Totodile, Chikorita was my clear last choice though.

Have now beaten the first gym, and on my way down to the second. Not sure who/where I want my second shiny, but I have already thought about the 3rd

Do you guys reckon using Red Gyarados would be 'cheating'? I still haven't decided myself...

[edit] So for my number 2 I am hitting the game corner - buy 5 and check them all, then SR. Pretty quick way to do it. Now up to 110 SR's so far, meaning 550 Pokemon seen. I have 3 badges now.

Gen 4 Shiny Card:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Paulthagerous; May 29th, 2013 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Updating information
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:13 PM
fishyfins
Reality Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitori View Post
@fishyfins: That's kind of a hard question for me! I think it kind of goes against the main rule of the challenge... which is not only having to find the shiny pokemon before continuing, but also not really being able to choose your team -- do you have a way to clone the shiny pokemon so you don't have to use the originals? If not, what if you had to catch a regular pokemon of the shiny species and play with that in replacement of the shiny? Like if you caught a shiny pidgey, you would catch a regular pidgey to replace it in your team. Let me know what you think! I'll add you to to the challenge.
If i can find a way to clone, then thats perfectly acceptable to me ill see what i can do when i get my shiny chikorita. currently on 1820SRs (5460 starters seen) and no sign of it.
Old May 29th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Paulthagerous
Master of the Dragonites

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfins View Post
If i can find a way to clone, then thats perfectly acceptable to me ill see what i can do when i get my shiny chikorita. currently on 1820SRs (5460 starters seen) and no sign of it.
Just out of interest, what would you do if one of the others were shiny? Do you bother checking?

I simply went with whatever turned up, in my case it was one of the 2 I wanted.

Anyway, to solve your dilemma, if you found a shiny Chikorita maybe you could trade it off to another game, then start a new game and take a normal Chikorita. When you find your next shiny (say a Mareep), then as suggested before you box that Mareep and catch a non-shiny one to take its place?

I personally like to raise my shinies to lvl 100, but I can understand people wanting to keep them 'as is'.

Gen 4 Shiny Card:
Spoiler:

Old May 29th, 2013, 02:40 PM
fishyfins
Reality Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulthagerous View Post
Just out of interest, what would you do if one of the others were shiny? Do you bother checking?

I simply went with whatever turned up, in my case it was one of the 2 I wanted.

Anyway, to solve your dilemma, if you found a shiny Chikorita maybe you could trade it off to another game, then start a new game and take a normal Chikorita. When you find your next shiny (say a Mareep), then as suggested before you box that Mareep and catch a non-shiny one to take its place?

I personally like to raise my shinies to lvl 100, but I can understand people wanting to keep them 'as is'.
I check them all. i had a shiny Totodile at 220 or something SRs (cant remember exactly, its in my sig pic). i simply transfered it to my diamond and started again. I just really want Chikorita, so wont start this challenge properly till i have it XD

I like the idea of cloning better, because that way i get to use the shiny in game. however, if i cant work out how to do it, then i will go with the other option, and catch a non-shiny version of the poke to use

i just crossed 2000SRs
Old May 29th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Paulthagerous
Master of the Dragonites

Quote:
I like the idea of cloning better, because that way i get to use the shiny in game. however, if i cant work out how to do it, then i will go with the other option, and catch a non-shiny version of the poke to use

i just crossed 2000SRs
Otherwise you could hack one on your PC and transfer to your game cartridge. It would get boosted though

Gen 4 Shiny Card:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Paulthagerous; May 29th, 2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Fixing spelling
Old May 29th, 2013, 03:46 PM
fishyfins
Reality Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulthagerous View Post
Otherwise you could hack one on your PC and transfer to your game cartridge. It would get boosted though
yeah, i wouldnt wanna benefit from it, cos i really dislike cheating. im fine with the idea of cloning, as im keeping the originals, and then afterwards, ill probably delete the clones. i also dont really know much about hacking (i assume you mean pokesav and stuff), so it would probably take a long time to do it for me XD
Old May 29th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Paulthagerous
Master of the Dragonites

Quote:
yeah, i wouldnt wanna benefit from it, cos i really dislike cheating. im fine with the idea of cloning, as im keeping the originals, and then afterwards, ill probably delete the clones. i also dont really know much about hacking (i assume you mean pokesav and stuff), so it would probably take a long time to do it for me XD
I would be more than happy to make one and send it over to you via normal trade (once you have one yourself of course).

On an unrelated note, up to 131 SR for my 2nd pokemon.

Gen 4 Shiny Card:
Spoiler:

Old May 29th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Kitori
[ ICE QUEEN ]

Still no chimchar. u___u; I have no idea how many hours I've put in so far, hopefully it will come up soon! I'm kind of going crazy not having a number to go off of, haha. I'll definitely have to count for my next shiny. Good luck on your hunts, everyone!

@Paulthagerous: I don't think using red gyarados in HG/SS is cheating... I'm not sure I would count it as one of the 3, though for the main challenge. I wont count it out, though... I'll let people decide for themselves.

Paulthagerous asked me to post a picture of his shiny cyndaquil for him~
Here it is:
Spoiler:

Old May 29th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Outnumbered
This is a Sailor's Prayer
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Outnumbered
I shall join your challenge Kit!!~

I will actually be combining two challenges into one. Will be doing Ultimate Monotype and this at the same time in SoulSilver. About 60 SRs for a Totodile atm, still no luck and I honestly don't know when i'll manage to actually get around to a heavy session of SRing for it, but I shall inform you when I get to a good number/get Totodile! :D

As long as these struggles are aimless, we will all be standing still.
Trade Thread3DS FCPair
Old May 29th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Paulthagerous
Master of the Dragonites

Quote:
@Paulthagerous: I don't think using red gyarados in HG/SS is cheating... I'm not sure I would count it as one of the 3, though for the main challenge. I wont count it out, though... I'll let people decide for themselves.
Yeah that's what I thought. I will catch it but at this stage I don't plan on using it. Even if I do, it won't count as 1 of my 3.

Quote:
Paulthagerous asked me to post a picture of his shiny cyndaquil for him
Thanks for that, shouldn't be too long until I can post links myself Hopefully by the time I have my 2nd one I will be able to post it myself!

Since I am posting, here's another update: Up to 233 SR's, for a total of 1165 seen.

Gen 4 Shiny Card:
Spoiler:

Old May 30th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Kitori
[ ICE QUEEN ]

YAAAAAAAAAAAY~! I finally feel worthy of running this challenge! xDDD This little guy showed up after about 20 SRs this morning... after I had declared that I would spend my whole day SRing for him if I had to. (I'm so happy I don't have to spend my whole day off SRing)

@Dyl: Finally you're joining! Just keep at it and you'll get it eventually! I just try to do a little every day and it's not as frustrating if you don't get something. xD

Old May 30th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Brickbusterx

I decided to try this challenge out! I haven't shiny hunted in forever and I haven't started heart gold yet so I thought i'd be fun to start it off with something fun!
Game: Heart Gold
I'll post my (slow...) progress whenever I get my shiny starter
Thanks Kitori for making this awesome challenge!

Old May 30th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Paulthagerous
Master of the Dragonites

Quote:
YAAAAAAAAAAAY~! I finally feel worthy of running this challenge! xDDD This little guy showed up after about 20 SRs this morning... after I had declared that I would spend my whole day SRing for him if I had to. (I'm so happy I don't have to spend my whole day off SRing)
Congrats Seems a bit unfair that I started so much later and got my starter first, but there is no sign of my second so could be months away

Gen 4 Shiny Card:
Spoiler:

Old May 30th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Cheesecake(GlassTheDragon)

Nature: Hardy
Hello everyone congrats on your shiny I will be doing a Badge quest in my heartgold
so far i got my starter(cyndaquil) and a shiny rattata but I 'm not counting it right now I'm hunting for mareep at 6000 or 13000 REs since I got my rattata good luck everyone only using my heartgold to do this badge quest

Old May 30th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Paulthagerous
Master of the Dragonites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesecake(GlassTheDragon) View Post
Hello everyone congrats on your shiny I will be doing a Badge quest in my heartgold
so far i got my starter(cyndaquil) and a shiny rattata but I 'm not counting it right now I'm hunting for mareep at 6000 or 13000 REs since I got my rattata good luck everyone only using my heartgold to do this badge quest
Cyndaquil is a cool shiny

So on a Badge quest you have to get one before EACH gym? That is quite extreme, but could be fun. May try after this run through. Not sure if I will be able to handle it though...

Gen 4 Shiny Card:
Spoiler:

Old May 31st, 2013, 06:07 AM
Janske
Shinyhunter - Trance for life

Nature: Jolly
@ Kitori: Major congratz on your shiny! About time I'd say haha:D! Very very deserved. I really wish I could say the same but nope haha.

@ Everyone else that joined: Welcome on this amazing challenge. I wish you all good luck in your hunts:D
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:34 PM
Paulthagerous
Master of the Dragonites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janske View Post
@ Kitori: Major congratz on your shiny! About time I'd say haha:D! Very very deserved. I really wish I could say the same but nope haha.

@ Everyone else that joined: Welcome on this amazing challenge. I wish you all good luck in your hunts:D
It is a really good challenge. Not as hard as a badge quest but still daunting enough! Up to 410 SRs hqving seen 2050 pokemon...

Gen 4 Shiny Card:
Spoiler:

Old June 3rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
Cheesecake(GlassTheDragon)

Nature: Hardy
T____T

WHERE ARE YOU SHINY MAREEP

2nd shiny rattata after 8376 REs really glad something shined even though I already have this I will keep going until mareep is mines!
good luck everyone( especially TSE i think its waiting for you to catch up it won't let me move on until you hatch that eevee!)

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here