The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:26 PM
Powerserge
The Imminent Victor

Nature: Relaxed
Haha, wow, I can't believe so many people were expecting something sensible and interesting from Microsoft. M$ is all about the money, guys!
Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:38 AM
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
Facial recognition Kinect.. Some camera always watching you. Check.
No used games (unless you pay some fee. The reason we buy used is because it's cheaper, duh.) Check.
Monthly subscription to do multiplayer. Check.
Always have to have internet connection. Check.
Ads all over dashboard.. Probably check. Why else would they want you to always have an internet connection?

Guess who's getting a PS4?
Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:39 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyke View Post
@XanderO - where did you get that info? As far as I know Yoshida (Sony's executive) said that "used games can play on PS4" and "purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation." according to Gamespot.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/playstat...-games-6404263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
Where did you get this from? It hasn't been confirmed or debunked. We still don't know.

The latter sentence is reassuring but thinking about it could mean anything. You can still buy used games or use it anywhere on XBone, you just have to pay a fee to do that. I trust Yoshida though.
Emails sent to me at work to get ready for merchandise for these two specific companies. From what we were told by Sony, we're getting Download cards mostly with a "few" hard discs to ease the transition. We were sent the same thing by Microsoft, but based on other things I've heard Xbox One is supposed to be mostly Download as opposed to Sony putting Chips (which they have a patent on and forces the disc to only work on 1 PS system) and Serial Codes on their games.

It effects my work because like Gamestop not being able to take in new system games for trades, we will not be allowed to return PS4 games should there be any issues with them/return them because its not what the customer wanted/expected.

They even changed return policies in store concerning these two companies as both have changed their acceptable returns. Which makes my new position a slight pain because I have to process and then destroy the games if we return them opened.

The few stores we have that participate in trade ins for games aren't allowed to accept PS4 games for trade ins (as of yet).

I was also told the Xbox has a new payment for internet option which is a bit more expensive than the other incarnations. More movie support which i think was made apparent in the videos/news updates (I haven't had time to watch those.)

All I know about the PS4 is its supposed to still play older games, even an improved reader for PS2 game discs, as well as be able to download PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, and PSV games. Though that is really just traditional Sony.

Personally I expected Microsoft to do what it is doing. Just as Powerserge said, all they care about is Money. They have a pitiful customer service program. Hell even their employees don't like the newer system. I have to meet with the Microsoft rep later this week/next week so I can ask him some stuff about the console though we may have more info then. I'll ask the Sony Rep when she comes in about info on the PS4 if we don't get updated info, but my district supervisor already has me making changes to the electronic section and preparing our merchandise for the arrival of the new system(s).
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:45 AM
Aeon
I CAN MAKE SPAGHETTI (´・ω・`)
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zet View Post
I hope the PS4 looks better than the Xbox One.
Considering the One looks like a VCR there's no reason it shouldn't.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:02 AM
shenanigans
in rainbows

Heh, mock-ups I've seen for the PS4 actually look more like a toasted sandwich maker than a games console. d:

Anyway - the Xbox One! At first I was like "oh okay this is pretty cool, nice little feature to have" in relation to its whole TV control thing and I wanted to see more. Then I realised that what I thought was just a nice little feature is... the feature. Honestly, the more I watched the presentation, the more I felt like I was just looking at a really oversized voice-controlled TV remote. And while they want it to become a household essential (indeed, I believe it was described as the "next water cooler"?), it just seems to me like a seriously overblown and likely rather expensive TV accessory with gaming capabilities which is... yeah, not really a big jump from an Xbox 360. I wanted it to offer something really exciting for gaming and it just doesn't seem to be doing that. If I remember, despite its huge size they've opted for integrated graphics and a large heatsink for silence rather than a proper graphics card with a bit of noise, which to me doesn't exactly scream "this console is ready to handle next-generation gaming". Indeed, the processing power they've thrown at it over graphics power really makes me think they're much more heavily invested into it being a small computer than a gaming machine. Really quite disappointing given that, at the heart of it, the Xbox is a games console. So yeah... I'll wait to see what it can do in games at E3 but it seems they've settled with a more or less beefed up 360 as far as gaming ability goes.

What I do like a lot about it, though, is that whole snapping ability thing. Having Skype up on one side of the screen while gaming on the other is a pretty nice idea (assuming that can work, anyway). Also, I love love love the name. I think it's really clever and I can see why they picked it given what they're trying to make the thing do.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:37 AM
Nuke

Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope View Post
Facial recognition Kinect.. Some camera always watching you. Check.
No used games (unless you pay some fee. The reason we buy used is because it's cheaper, duh.) Check.
Monthly subscription to do multiplayer. Check.
Always have to have internet connection. Check.
Ads all over dashboard.. Probably check. Why else would they want you to always have an internet connection?

Guess who's getting a PS4?
I think the connection is likely to be 'one login per day' as most of the game news outlets are suggesting at the moment and the reasoning behind it is the new licensing system to make sure you aren't just selling games and getting away with still playing them offline.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 04:13 PM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful
With the Kinect always on how are you supposed to watch TV? It's already an issue with common words turning the Kinect off and such. The only changes I see with this console is that it is highly restrictive and invasive on privacy.

Honestly this generation of gaming is looking really lame, it seems like everything is just a rehash with better graphics all done for money.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:37 PM
FlameChocobo
Warrior of Hoenn

Nature: Lonely
XBox One.... No thanks, I'll just stick with the Wii U as my main gaming console for this generation.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:56 PM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zet View Post
I found a youtube vid that highlights the Xbox One conference:

I hope the PS4 looks better than the Xbox One.
where you been i linked that like 6 times
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:05 PM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
This so far has been the most detailed, logical conclusion about what Xbox means by a "Used Game Fee"

After thinking about it a while, an issue came into my head.

What's stopping anybody else in the room from saying "Xbox Turn Off" or "Xbox watch CSPAN" in the middle of someone else's game session? Is the Kinect really going to be smart enough to allow only one unique set of voice commands at a time per profile?
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:07 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Wii U Sales Jump on Amazon UK after Xbox One Reveal

Commencing the act of violently laughing my ass off in 3...2...1.

Last edited by CarcharOdin; May 23rd, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:41 PM
Darkhaven3
Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidtheDeadPhilosopher View Post
This so far has been the most detailed, logical conclusion about what Xbox means by a "Used Game Fee"

After thinking about it a while, an issue came into my head.

What's stopping anybody else in the room from saying "Xbox Turn Off" or "Xbox watch CSPAN" in the middle of someone else's game session? Is the Kinect really going to be smart enough to allow only one unique set of voice commands at a time per profile?
Oh, man. You should have seen the fit of rage my friend had when the Xbox One was announced. He was watching live over... Well, Xbox LIVE. That clown Yusuf comes on and says "Xbox go home", and his Xbox kicks him back to the dashboard home page. Hilarity ensued.

Quote:
Honestly this generation of gaming is looking really lame, it seems like everything is just a rehash with better graphics all done for money.
Better graphics...? Eh, that's highly debatable, in my opinion. My PC has been capable of absolutely dominating leagues beyond the current gen and what I've seen of the next gen so far graphically, and my PC isn't exactly mind-blowing. The fact is that the Xbox One is going to be utilizing something fairly similar to a Radeon 7790, and we've all seen what a Radeon 77x0 can do. A big step over the R520-based X1800-XT like GPU featured in the Xbox 360, but not even close to impressive these days.

To put it short, I use a GeForce 660 Ti. 800 MHz is not competitive with 1250 MHz.
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhaven3 View Post
Oh, man. You should have seen the fit of rage my friend had when the Xbox One was announced. He was watching live over... Well, Xbox LIVE. That clown Yusuf comes on and says "Xbox go home", and his Xbox kicks him back to the dashboard home page. Hilarity ensued.

Better graphics...? Eh, that's highly debatable, in my opinion. My PC has been capable of absolutely dominating leagues beyond the current gen and what I've seen of the next gen so far graphically, and my PC isn't exactly mind-blowing. The fact is that the Xbox One is going to be utilizing something fairly similar to a Radeon 7790, and we've all seen what a Radeon 77x0 can do. A big step over the R520-based X1800-XT like GPU featured in the Xbox 360, but not even close to impressive these days.

To put it short, I use a GeForce 660 Ti. 800 MHz is not competitive with 1250 MHz.
Yeah, I know/agree. 95% of my gaming since the wii/360/ps3 gen started has been pc only. Playing CoD and other games on my friends consoles after playing them on my pc was really disappointing...and not just because of graphics. I just don't see the point in this newest generation of consoles, and the Xbox One is a great example of why.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old May 24th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
And now analysts are telling stock owners for gamestop to sell after this whole thing.I hope to god things don't crash as hard as its looking like it will because the last thing the industry needs is a complete market crash to make consoles and their makers look bad and the phone side look all warm and snugly.I mean, if the main retailers(gamestop) close shop because the used game business dies, and in effect they die, then console sales will wane, as the mass confusion caused by all this DRM debacle will cause mistrust. In effect, this might just lead to MS killing themselves and boosting the phone market greatly. Hell, that might just be the plan for EA, but conspiracy theories are bad, so I'll just leave it at this.
Old May 25th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil View Post
And now analysts are telling stock owners for gamestop to sell after this whole thing.I hope to god things don't crash as hard as its looking like it will because the last thing the industry needs is a complete market crash to make consoles and their makers look bad and the phone side look all warm and snugly.I mean, if the main retailers(gamestop) close shop because the used game business dies, and in effect they die, then console sales will wane, as the mass confusion caused by all this DRM debacle will cause mistrust. In effect, this might just lead to MS killing themselves and boosting the phone market greatly. Hell, that might just be the plan for EA, but conspiracy theories are bad, so I'll just leave it at this.
To be fair, a lot of gamers didn't like Gamestop for monopolizing the used game business, so losing Gamestop wouldn't be a total loss to the community, and it shows that Gamestop failed to adapt to current gaming market that MS is going with the Xone.
Old May 25th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
To be fair, a lot of gamers didn't like Gamestop for monopolizing the used game business, so losing Gamestop wouldn't be a total loss to the community, and it shows that Gamestop failed to adapt to current gaming market that MS is going with the Xone.
Its not so much that. Sony and Microsoft dislike used game retailers and have been trying to find ways to eliminate them from the market. Both making ways to block the usage of Used games sorta shows this. Both are wanting to move to more digital versions, which is both bad and good. Good as in you most likely won't have to rebuy a damaged disc. Bad, you have to be online in order to play as you don't have the actual game rather you are streaming the game from their servers. So if they crash you cannot play. (PS Network hack from a few years ago...couldn't play any downloaded game).

Both are trying to move to Online only titles, hell even Nintendo has more Online only titles coming out now. Sony and Microsoft, especially Microsoft have been releasing games with serial codes as well which cannot be traded in. Companies that do business with the two started doing this a while back. EA games has been incorperating 1 time use serial codes with their games for online play. If the games are returned and sold as used the owner has to go to EA games and buy a new serial code to use for the games, otherwise they cannot play online.

Many companies don't like stores such as Gamestop and have been looking for ways to remove them. Microsoft and Sony may be jumping in on the bandwagon so they can make more money for themselves.
Old June 9th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Went
-Omega-

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
Ladies and gentlemen, Microsoft has just announced an Earth-shatteringly innovative feature that will revolutionize the cocnept of videogames:

Quote:
Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.
Yes, your friends can now play YOUR games in YOUR console in YOUR house. AMAZING!

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

This thing is just a laughingstock.

Magma Leader Maxie wants to battle!
Crobat (Lv. 37) - Inner Focus - (Wing Attack, Bite)
Camerupt (Lv. 39) - Sheer Force - (Earthquake, Rock Slide)
November 28th / Staff Collab 2014
Old June 9th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
You can also play your games on their console, but it will need to do an hourly online check.
Old June 9th, 2013, 01:32 AM
Purple Materia
Shape the future!
Community Supporter Tier 4

After everything I've seen... it's not too bad I suppose.

I mean, if I owned an Xbox One, chances are it would always be connected to the Internet, so the argument about DRM is pretty much moot in my case.

I've always preferred Sony products, so I've gotta say, I'm sticking with Sony for the next generation.

"I have fallen from the Land of Magic. I am Stardust Witch Meruru!"
Combat Arms | Raptr | Hummingbird | Last.fm
Old June 9th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Nathan
prince
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Went View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, Microsoft has just announced an Earth-shatteringly innovative feature that will revolutionize the cocnept of videogames:

Yes, your friends can now play YOUR games in YOUR console in YOUR house. AMAZING!

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

This thing is just a laughingstock.
That is truly AMAZING! Who could do better than this really?
Nah, Microsoft went down. They are ruining themselves
Old June 9th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Nuke

Community Supporter

That actually seems like an opposite step to what has been mentioned so far. That article suggests they're actively encouraging you to not pay for games. What stops me from sticking ten friends down as family members and allowing them to play all my games?

I don't get how this helps them at all, but it seems great from a consumer point of view.
Old June 9th, 2013, 07:56 AM
SteveTaylor
Unhatched Egg

Microsoft have severely shot themselves in the foot, this gen. The only purchases they'll get are the casual CoD and Fifa players who just hear the word "Xbox" and jump up with wet pants.

As long as Sony don't screw up E3, they've got this gen in the bag. Well, for the educated folk, anyway.
Old June 10th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Berzerk!
Hey, c'mon! Get serious!
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Quirky
I personally haven't grown up with the Xbox, I was more of a Playstation person, Now if I cant find a good game on pc, that will be the only real time I would invest in a console. I too have been reading and discussing the Xbox One and I just can't believe that Micro$oft would do... wait I could... Windows 98... Windows ME, Vista... 8... It goes on and on the load of failures they've brought out...

-claps- Add a digital tuner into your Xbox? I already got a Digital TV... A inbuilt Kinect... from what I saw of it, it hardly worked as it is! Used games, borrowing/lending of games, GONE! half of the small game shops are going to shut down because they can't resell old games. No backwards capabilites? Well now you will have to constantly plug and unplug your xbox and your 360 if you want to play them

The whole having to be online stuff, yea we've heard it all... I just can't see how a company who has so much money can be so disconnected from their customers to the point where they will blindside them... Sorry my money is on Sony this Generation, the Wii U hasn't seen a big enough library, but with the release of these other consoles then maybe, the PlayStation had it's own issues with its online services, at least the actual console is reliable to use.

TLDD? Money money money, we want your money. I wonder if these high corporate ever think of us common folk.
I'm gonna give your reason a toxic shock and open up your mind!
Current Challenge: Ultimate Gym Leader Challenge!
Old June 11th, 2013, 01:10 PM
The_Consumer

A comment on a video about xbox one!

I'm a bit apathetic towards the bashing that is rampant on Twitter right now, but I can't help but have a mutual disliking. However truthfully, I don't know enough specific details about xbox one to jump on the bandwagon and properly criticise it, but having knowledge of the fundamentals, I feel I wouldn't like it if it is to disable compatibility with backwards 360 games with a pompous need to remain online and connected the whole time whilst plugged in.

In a way, it's still early to title this the internet age. There are plenty of xbox users out there without online play available. The reasons are totally insignificant to the matter of fact, and it's a pity Microsoft was not careful enough to consider it. I still enjoy playing offline, and if I bought an xbox one, I'd feel I was being stalked from behind the screen in a way due to the requirement to stay ~connected~
Old June 16th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Went
-Omega-

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
Also, new groundbreaking info about the Xbox One! It will be able to play- you'd never guess it...

Magma Leader Maxie wants to battle!
Crobat (Lv. 37) - Inner Focus - (Wing Attack, Bite)
Camerupt (Lv. 39) - Sheer Force - (Earthquake, Rock Slide)
November 28th / Staff Collab 2014
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links