The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 13th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ 82.
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Relaxed
I've finished my first week of working out. Making some gains - although they're less gains than me not knowing how heavy my real workload is.

Since Wednesday, my bench is 115 -> 120 (More like 125 or 130, I decided to crazy on my last set and did 6 instead of 4), and my squat is 145 -> 160! I'm doing 3 sets of 2-4 (but really 4) a la your instructions, DA.

I like to keep the intensity of my workouts up by sneaking in situp/crunch and arms sets in between my bench presses and squats (in that order lol). So I'd do my bicep curls and shoulder raises while waiting for my legs to recover, and do situps/crunches waiting for my chest to recover. I also do practice reps on another bench or cage with an empty barbell just to focus on the movement and feel it a bit more.

I bought a "strong" multivitamin tablet, then looked at my diet, then looked back at the tablet. I now take them 3 times a week, I get enough of my nutrients from food already, and I don't want to overdose (I did the math, and I could be overdosing on some of the vitamins in a couple month's time. Okay maybe that's not overdose - more like overexposure, it's chronic in any case).

My protein supplement is cottage cheese. It's 12 grams of protein per one gram of fat. I eat boring food like brown bread and milk. But they work pretty well. Cashews I've found to be a good source of fat in a pinch (we don't have avocados for some reason).
Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Dark Azelf
ThisWillBeTheEndOfEveryth ing.

Nature: Impish
Well just posting here for progress, managed to drop down to 12/12.5ish % bodyfat and lost 1lb i believe.

Abs are starting to show alot more and around the hip definition.

Spoiler:

So currently 5'4 152ish lbs 12/12.5%ish bf in that pic

Ive increased my calories slightly to about 2000ish and ive also re introduced complex carbs (Oats, Brown Pasta, Brown Rice, Beans and Wholegrain Rhybread mainly) to about 70-100 grams on rest days and to about 150 ish on workout days as i now have less fat stores to utilize so carbs become a little more of a priority. So id say im on about 40 protein, 30/35 carbs, 25/30 fats atm. Added calories with the cardio seemed to have kicked my metabolism in the ass (in a good way) and helped me get over the lag i had come across during my cut.

Ive also reintroduced some HIIT cardio on one of my cardio days i.e 6 sets 15/20 seconds sprints split up by like a gradual walk/jog in between each one to recover slightly. REALLY felt the DOMS the next day from those in my Quads, Abs, Traps (?_? lol), calves, serratus (also ?_? lol), obliques mainly. The sprints REALLY hammered me lol.

Also split legs and shoulders up as that was taking ages.

So current routine is this

Chest and Tri + 15/20 mins stair climbing
Rest Day with 20 mins steady state cardio
Back, Bi and Forearms
Rest Day with HIIT cardio
Shoulders and 15/20 mins stair climbing
Rest Day
Legs and abs and any lagging muscles

Pleased with the progress from this so far, upper body is also still looking reasonably full too but with visible fat loss and vascularity, especially on chest.

Im still at a caloric deficit, so gonna do this until i get to below 10% and take it into a gradual bulk up.

On a side note

Spoiler:

I have a new found love for these, they are awesome.

http://www.ryvita.co.uk/products/cri...rye-crispbread

Cant grumble with the nutrients either. Low calories, low fat, reasonable carb, high fiber and a gram of protein per slice. They also go with everything, cream cheese and smoked salmon and even peanut butter on them is just <3 lol. Plus they are also really cheap to buy.

Since the beginning of time, man has sought to know the unimaginable. To shake hands with the intangible. To measure the abstract with concrete gauges, to fit the mind of the infinite within the imagination of the finite. Nevermore.
Pair x Poki. Aka Miss Botifgt. <3
[00:22] @Sanguine: [00:21] Dark Azelf+: nah my ass is tight
[00:22] @Sanguine: :3
@Sanguine: you've acquired sxcness I see
[15:59] +Alice Cooper: a hot chocolate enema would be nice, no?

Last edited by Dark Azelf; September 23rd, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:25 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Oooh the dark rye one? I usually get the sunflower one :3 I love ryvita <3
Old October 1st, 2013, 08:14 AM
Darkroman

Nature: Adamant
A small tip for people who are doing split bodypart days, try having 2 days (one at beginning of week, and one at the end) for legs if you feel you're lacking there. When your lower body gets worked on correctly, your upper body will follow, especially if you do ATG squats (ass to grass). Remember, legs have separate push and pull (front and back) parts, too!

Also, DO NOT CURL IN THE SQUAT RACK.

Anyway, I plan on getting into working out again as soon as this little nick in my upper left back goes away. My plan is a 3 day a week compound exercise routine. It's actually Mark Rippetoe's starting strength program of which I've had damn good results before in the past (also good for people just getting back into working out after a long period). It has 2 workouts that you alternate.

Week 1: A, B, A
Week 2: B, A, B
Repeat

Workout A:
ATG Squats 3x5
Flat Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Workout B:
ATG Squats 3x5
Standing Overhead Press 3x5
Powerclean 3x3

The primary goal of this workout is to add weight to the bar as quickly as possible, but seeing as I'm a fair bit older than the last time I've worked out, I'm gonna take it a little easy on that. I plan on doing this routine until my strength gains start having some noticeable diminishing returns, and then I'm gonna go for Bill Starr's 5x5 workout.
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5

As far as diet goes, I've always had a problem with a strict diet plan. It hasn't hindered me at all, but, again, seeing as I'm a little older I think it'd be a good idea to have somewhat of a diet plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
Spoiler:

and
Edit: This image bothers the hell out of me and I need to address it.
1. Fats are actually 9 calories per gram and do not directly correlate to gaining fat! Fat is gained from calories not burned, period! (barring genetics). Best sources of fat come from nut oils and olive oil. (This was the start of the overall discreditation of the picture...)
2. The general rule of thumb for protein is actually 1 gram per lb of body weight.
3. Fish supplements are a great source of omega 3's and healthy fats, it only indirectly helps you to get better workout results, but all in all, they're a great overall health resource for your heart, that's about it!
4. I know yogurt is healthy, but, seriously?
5. Cayenne pepper? WTF?
6. I'd love to see the study of green tea helping to reduce fat absorption by 33%... If that's true, I'd be drinking only that for the rest of my life.

A couple of other things to mention: Everyone has a six pack, if you want yours to be visible, then yes, you gotta exercise while you're on a calorie deficit (cutting) diet. Don't discredit certain lower body workouts (particularly squats and deadlifts) for working out your core. They workout your core isometrically, rather than actively though, but only if you don't use assistance such as the belt thing.

Last edited by Darkroman; October 1st, 2013 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:13 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ 82.

There's no general rule of thumb for protein, that's broscience. So is the infographic, anyways. If you're gaining muscle and strength yes, but for people looking for other fitness goals really don't need to. Especially for getting a six pack, that's fat reduction. And to me cardio is much more relevant for fat reduction than exploiting the higher energy cost of digesting protein.

Yogurt can be a good source of protein and calcium, as well as fat if you're lacking it or find it difficult to eat.

I like the workout split though, might want to do that some time when I have the time.
Old October 1st, 2013, 10:04 AM
Darkroman

Yeah, I know the whole protein thing is broscience, I was just correcting the broscience from the infograph .

Generally for diets some have gone for a split among what calories they intake. Like 40% protein 40% carbs and 20% fat for example, or 40-40-20. That's just a rough number as there's all sorts of combinations that go with it, but I think you catch my drift. Honestly my only rules in dieting while exercising are to split up my meals into 4-5 meals throughout the day, drink a protein shake right after workout, and eat lots of meats and vegetables. It's worked great for me before, but I can only imagine how much better off I'd be if I went with a proven diet plan with the right amounts of everything when strength training.
Old October 1st, 2013, 10:15 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ 82.

So ... are you going to bother with signing up? :D It's nice to see more people getting involved with this club
Old October 1st, 2013, 10:43 AM
Darkroman

Oh! XD Yes I'll sign up. Haha.

Username: Darkroman
Overall Fitness Goal: Overall I want to get 300/400/500 on Bench, Squat, and Deadlift respectively. My short term goal for right now is just get back to where I was prior to when I stopped lifting.
Summer Fitness Goal: Considering summer is over, my goal by next summer is to have more muscle mass, and a little less bodyfat.
Favorite Physical Activity: Weights
Old October 1st, 2013, 01:11 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ 82.

Sometimes I notice these girls that look bootylicious but I think it's because lordosis as their backs are unusually curved. Does that come from squatting too much? Is it something to watch out for?
Old October 1st, 2013, 02:08 PM
Snowdrop
Throw a blanket over it!

Nature: Jolly
I think Imma join!

I'm planning on going vegetarian (an S.O.E. Vegetarian - Special Occasion-Exempt. Kind of a silly title, I know :3) because I'll drop weight much faster! Well... there are a multitude of other reasons, but that one is relevant to this thread. So if you're a meat-lover, I won't judge you at all, so don't castigate me! D:< Also, I plan to avoid things like corn syrup, artificial dies (ESPECIALLY Red 44) and things of the like. Now when it comes to exercise, when I get enough money I plan to buy a treadmill. In summer I have to use it because I can't go outside due to my severe entomophobia. I am, however, making the most of the recent cold by walking and biking. So let's fill out the sign-up form...

Oh, okay, there is none! Great :D Sign me up, please!
Old October 1st, 2013, 04:01 PM
Darkroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
Sometimes I notice these girls that look bootylicious but I think it's because lordosis as their backs are unusually curved. Does that come from squatting too much? Is it something to watch out for?
Lordosis is only an extreme case of inward back curvature. As far as squatting causing your back to bow in, no it won't. As long as proper form is maintained and you aren't overdoing it, you will be fine.
Old October 1st, 2013, 05:33 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ 82.

I was just thinking if there's too much development of back muscles, and not enough development of hip flexors, wouldn't it lead to an imbalance?
Old October 1st, 2013, 08:16 PM
Darkroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
I was just thinking if there's too much development of back muscles, and not enough development of hip flexors, wouldn't it lead to an imbalance?
Not directly, no. The antagonist muscle to your back muscles (and I believe you're referring to the lower back muscles erector spinae) are the rectus abdominis (your abs, six pack). The antagonist muscle of the hip flexors is the gluteus maximus. The main imbalance that I've experienced when doing squats is during the concentric phase: When you come back up, your hip adductors might contract and make your legs close in. One way that I've battled through that is to concentrate on spreading your legs as you come up (activate the hip abductors).

Man, I've almost forgotten how much innuendo there is talking about lower body kinesiology.

Anyway, don't worry about muscle imbalance if you're still puny, just gain that size and strength until it's way too hard to ignore. The main ones I've seen besides hips are the upper body anterior and posterior chain. A lot of people have slouched shoulders, making their posture look like they grew up with gorillas, it's bad. You definitely want to keep your chest and back muscles pretty balanced (bench press vs barbell row). Just practicing good posture overall is healthy, period. Don't rely on resistance training to completely fix those type of problems.

Last edited by Darkroman; October 1st, 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:34 AM
Dark Azelf

Lordosis can be caused by several things; when you have tight hip flexors, weak core/abs, tight erector spinae, tight hamstrings are the main culprits.

Squatting would actually benefit Lordosis to an extent as it engages the core muscles.

Make sure you dedicate some time to stretching muscles and dont neglect muscle groups and you should be fine.

Since the beginning of time, man has sought to know the unimaginable. To shake hands with the intangible. To measure the abstract with concrete gauges, to fit the mind of the infinite within the imagination of the finite. Nevermore.
Old October 4th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Darkroman

Hey blah, what's your exercise schedule like? I'm curious.

DA, man.. careful on not over doing anything. I know you're a certified PT, but you do a crapload of work for someone who's cutting. Are you lifting light, medium, or intense? Also, a rest day with HIIT cardio? I don't know if I'd consider that a rest day! lol
Old October 4th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Dark Azelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkroman View Post
Hey blah, what's your exercise schedule like? I'm curious.

DA, man.. careful on not over doing anything. I know you're a certified PT, but you do a crapload of work for someone who's cutting. Are you lifting light, medium, or intense? Also, a rest day with HIIT cardio? I don't know if I'd consider that a rest day! lol
Haha, well its a mix of medium and intense. I lift heavy on lower body, low reps high weight and about 70/75ish% of 1rm on upper body for 8-12 reps. For the most part im trying to maintain my weight at the moment. I seem to get the best results from high volume stuff as i put on weight (fat and muscle, stupid endo body type lol) really easily. So the high work volume helps me get leaner quicker and also stay on the leaner side when i bulk up ive found, i still maintain muscle on a cut this way. Ive also found it allows me to eat slightly more if i keep up the volume and intensity and as said still be able to achieve my goals easier (which is good cos i mean who doesn't enjoy eating? ). Obviously ill drop some cardio when i do bulk up but yeah. In contrast i wont do HIIT much (if at all) when cutting.

Speaking of HIIT cardio, well its only intense for a relatively short amount of time, i count it as a rest day mainly as im probably sat on my ass the rest of the day haha.

Old October 5th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Darkroman

Have you always been doing a body-part split workout?
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Dark Azelf

Pretty much, well...apart from the first 6 months when i worked out. It was more full body approach then lol.

Old October 5th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Darkroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Azelf View Post
Pretty much, well...apart from the first 6 months when i worked out. It was more full body approach then lol.
When you start bulking again, you should probably go back to it till you can't put anymore weight on the bar or increase amount of reps you can do every week. I keep hearing from various lifting forums and coaches that body part split workouts are only ever really good for really advanced bodybuilders. 3 day a week compound lifts (squat, bench press, overhead press, deadlift or variation of any of the 4.. probably don't wanna do squats and deadlifts every single workout day, and alternate between bench press and overhead press) with some assistance (chin-ups, dips) should be great at about 3x8-12. I had some decent gains doing this for hypertrophy.. add in some calf work if you want.

BTW, what are you pushing on the squat, bench, overhead press, and deadlift?
Old October 6th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Dark Azelf

Quote:
When you start bulking again, you should probably go back to it till you can't put anymore weight on the bar or increase amount of reps you can do every week. I keep hearing from various lifting forums and coaches that body part split workouts are only ever really good for really advanced bodybuilders. 3 day a week compound lifts (squat, bench press, overhead press, deadlift or variation of any of the 4.. probably don't wanna do squats and deadlifts every single workout day, and alternate between bench press and overhead press) with some assistance (chin-ups, dips) should be great at about 3x8-12. I had some decent gains doing this for hypertrophy.. add in some calf work if you want.

BTW, what are you pushing on the squat, bench, overhead press, and deadlift?
Bear in mind im only 5'4 and about 154lbs atm (hovering about 12% bf mark still atm) so im not as big as some people but yeah lol.

Squat i usually work at 3x5 at about 285-300lbs

Deadlift i work at much lower reps its more like 8x1/2 at about 350lbs, i will drop the weight down a bit sometimes though.

Bench is meh, but i guess its ok for my size and height, its like 180 for 4x8.

Overhead press is usually about 135 for 4x8

Im not really concerned with alot of size on my lower body, i prefer training for sheer strength there.

Last edited by Dark Azelf; October 6th, 2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old October 11th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Darkroman

So I've been wanting to workout for a while now, but my damn upper back pain isn't going away as fast as it used to, so I'm gonna resort to going to a chiropractor (UGH). The pain is mild overall; it's mainly a nuisance, and it stretches from my left upper back to my forearm. Never had it go down that far (usually just went as far as my tricep). I really really really wanna get back into working out. Get back up to 265lbs for my squats at 3 sets of 5 reps, and make 315lb (6 45lb plates on a 45lb barbell... be awesome). As well as 225lbs bench 3x5, 365lbs deadlift, and 160lb overhead press...

My ultimate goal is 1200 total (300 bench, 400 squat, and 500 deadlift at 1RM or something around there that equals 1200 lol). After that point I'll worry about sculpting my body.
Old October 12th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Impo
Vital Spirit
Community Supporter Tier 5

I haven't posted in a while but I just finished my second half-marathon today!

It took me 1:47.?? and I should have trained, whoops. Such a satisfying pain

Vigoroth
3DS FC: 3411-1566-9347
Paired to Naya Rivera
Paired to ShiningRaichu
Old October 12th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Darkroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impo View Post
I haven't posted in a while but I just finished my second half-marathon today!

It took me 1:47.?? and I should have trained, whoops. Such a satisfying pain
Keep it up, man! I'm lucky to run half a mile without getting so winded, lol. Cardio has never been my strong suit.

Half marathon is 13 miles, right?
Old October 13th, 2013, 01:37 AM
Impo
Vital Spirit
Community Supporter Tier 5

Quote:
Keep it up, man! I'm lucky to run half a mile without getting so winded, lol. Cardio has never been my strong suit.

Half marathon is 13 miles, right?
Thanks!

It wasn't my best -I did it at 1:45 last time, I just need to get a good pre-race routine the week before so I do okay with the carb loading.

Yeah, a half-marathon is 13.1 miles, to be exact, and a full is 26.2

Vigoroth
3DS FC: 3411-1566-9347
Paired to Naya Rivera
Paired to ShiningRaichu
Old October 22nd, 2013, 05:34 PM
Darkroman

I'm gonna start working out this Monday (edit I started Tuesday). For about 2 weeks now I've been stretching out my stomach a bit so I can handle more calorie intake in a day, and my upper back pain is almost gone, so I feel confident in lifting weights without too much trouble. My diet isn't set in stone, rather I'm just gonna eat all I can, but it'll mainly look like this.

For breakfast: full plate of scrambled eggs, with bacon, sausage and 2 pieces of toast.
During my 10-15 minute break at work: Peanuts, yogurt, and some cottage cheese with applesauce
Lunch time: Turkey sandwich and tuna sandwich, some strawberries, bananas, yogurt, and some cottage cheese with applesauce, and maybe a multivitamin every couple days.
Post workout: Protein shake (I might try to make a key lime protein smoothie someday... just sounds so delicious)
Dinner: hamburgers, chicken, mac n cheese, vegetables, potatoes.. basically whatever sounds good.
I'll drink about 2 cups of milk during breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I know it's not the cleanest of diets, but that's not my goal. I just need enough caloric intake to stimulate growth and optimal recovery between workouts. My workout is gonna look like this BTW. 3x5 = 3 sets of 5 reps.

Workout A: 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Bench Press, 1x5 Deadlift
Workout B: 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Overhead Press, 1x5 Deadlift

Week 1: A, B, A
Week 2: B, A, B
Repeat

I increase weight on the exercises every workout. On bench press and overhead press I'll increase 5lbs, squats by 7.5lbs, and deadlifts 10lbs. When bar speed starts going really slow on the last rep of the last set I'll lower the amount of weight I increase each workout. Once deadlifting every workout day gets too tiring for me, I'm gonna switch up to alternating deadlifts and powercleans. Powercleans are gonna be performed 5 sets of 3 reps (5x3), and I'll increase weight about 5lbs every workout until it becomes real difficult.
When I can't get all 15 reps (5 reps per set), I'll reset back about 10-20% on the weight if I can't get 5 reps on all sets after three workouts with the same weight. If I still stall on all exercises after a couple resets, I'll change up my program a bit.

BTW, this is part of starting strength from Mark Rippetoe. The only things I'm not following from him is the ridiculous GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) thing, and his form instruction on the squat and powercleans. I've heard a lot of officianados have some serious issues with it.

---------------------------

Alright, here are my stats and my previous PRs

26 years old, 5'11, 195-200lbs depending on time of the day, unknown bodyfat %. I'll guess and say 16%

Squat PR: 265 5RM
Bench PR: 210 5RM
Deadlift PR: 320 5RM
Powerclean PR: 215 1RM
Overhead Press PR: 135lbs 5RM

Alright. So I re weighed my barbell.. it's 20lbs. I used to think it was 15lbs. I know it's a pretty light barbell, but luckily I don't have a whole lot of weight on it yet. Once I have 2 weeks of lifting under my belt again, I'm gonna join a gym since I don't have access to lump sums for a new barbell.

I'll omit the specifics on warmup sets.

Back Squat:
5x3x170lbs

Overall felt good. My dad was spotting me to make sure my form was good. He's no certified coach, but he at least was there to critique my form from us watching SS videos. 1st set was ok, 2nd and 3rd set felt the best.

Bench Press:
5x3x120lbs

Good here! I'm doing bench presses like I've never done them. I used to do them pure bodybuilding style: Elbows pointed out to the side. Now I'm doing them as prescribed in SS and powerlifting circles. Made sure my back was squeezed and with a natural arch with my elbows closer in my body.

Deadlift:
5x1x170lbs

Meh, my form needs work on this. I need to make conscious effort to keep my upper back from rounding. I need to keep it tight, and I also need to find the sweet spot for the barbell from the floor.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links