Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page brb riding my torchic

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

View Poll Results: Are HMs a Thing of the Past?
Yes, They are all gone. 1 8.33%
No, They are exactly the same 5 41.67%
Maybe, Some will be replaced by Riding Pokemon 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 17th, 2013 (01:07 PM).
Werewolf Assassin

Nature: Docile
I'm pulling for the natural abilities which will allow you to ride any Pokemon like it had an HM without taking up a move... I do, however, believe you have to wait to obtain the saddle you see on the Pokemon to prevent early riding... If that EV training with minigames thing is true (not sure if it was confirmed true or fake), then I'm guessing we will be able to do a race on Pokemon's backs to train Speed EVs (With other ways to train Speed EVs for non-rideable Pokemon)

Old May 17th, 2013 (01:11 PM).

Quote originally posted by LycaNinja:
I'm pulling for the natural abilities which will allow you to ride any Pokemon like it had an HM without taking up a move... I do, however, believe you have to wait to obtain the saddle you see on the Pokemon to prevent early riding... If that EV training with minigames thing is true (not sure if it was confirmed true or fake), then I'm guessing we will be able to do a race on Pokemon's backs to train Speed EVs (With other ways to train Speed EVs for non-rideable Pokemon)
I hope they give Pokemon an HM slot that can only be taken up by an HM, and can only be forgotten to learn an HM. It sucks when you have a good Pokemon for battle but have to teach it cut or something.
Old May 17th, 2013 (01:14 PM).
Werewolf Assassin

Nature: Docile
Quote originally posted by Lazerith:
I hope they give Pokemon an HM slot that can only be taken up by an HM, and can only be forgotten to learn an HM. It sucks when you have a good Pokemon for battle but have to teach it cut or something.
I like the idea of natural abilities better over an hm slot... Scyther has huge scythes for arms, why can't he cut down some thorns? Like-wise Pokemon that look rideable should be rideable... It shouldn't be restricted to Gogoat (If it is I'll never ride a Pokemon because I'm ignoring that Gogoat forever, unless it evolves into something with a less ridiculous name...)

Old May 17th, 2013 (01:16 PM).

I like the idea of natural abilities better over an hm slot... Scyther has huge scythes for arms, why can't he cut down some thorns?
Anything that makes HMs either not take up one of the 4 attack slots, get its own attack slot, or become forgettable at any moment in time is something I am okay with. So I support natural abilities as well.
Old May 18th, 2013 (08:26 PM).
Unburden Belly Drum
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Forever:
Hmmm I was just wondering. You know that sound at the start of when you're on Gogoat? Do you think that could be... a portal? Do you think portals could also be a likely form of transport guys?
I thought that sound was just its cry.
I like the idea of natural abilities better over an hm slot... Scyther has huge scythes for arms, why can't he cut down some thorns? Like-wise Pokemon that look rideable should be rideable... It shouldn't be restricted to Gogoat (If it is I'll never ride a Pokemon because I'm ignoring that Gogoat forever, unless it evolves into something with a less ridiculous name...)
The only problem is, what makes a Pokémon "look" rideable? Just by looking at them, I would never expect the Diglett line and Drifloon line to learn Cut, but they do (don't forget the wonderful Flying Golurk). Similarly, I never thought Electrode looked like a rideable Pokémon, but then the anime happened...
While it would be cool to have a variety of Pokémon rideable, I don't think it would happen in these games. In the future, maybe, but I have a feeling that it would just not happen in these titles.
Old May 18th, 2013 (10:50 PM).
The Imminent Victor

Nature: Relaxed
Imagine riding massive legendaries, haha. It would be really awesome if all "rideable-looking" pokemon could indeed be used like the gogoat, but I don't think we'll see that.

When i think about it though, with all the 3-D models already in the game for the battles and stuff, it shouldn't be so hard to implement them for the riding feature.....
Old May 19th, 2013 (03:19 AM).

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to TaichiWind
I'm thinking maybe goatmon replaces the bicycle? I mean like you have to catch goatmon and then he's your bicycle and also Pokémon.

In your own Steven-y way.
Old May 20th, 2013 (01:41 AM).
An awesome usertitle
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
Looking at the mat/saddle thing the rideable gogoat has, I'm thinking it's only possible in certain areas. Perhaps only with certain gogoat. A rental service working in the central city would feel plausible.

The rollerskates feel like a more fitting replacement for bikes. I suppose creating models and animations for the character mounting and riding bicycles is much more difficult than just giving us shoes. Not that I wouldn't want the bicycle to make its return.

I'm certain HMs will still be around. I hope their system is at least a little revamped, though.

Old May 20th, 2013 (02:06 AM).
WUB WUB
Gold Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
Quote originally posted by Pokestick, good times.:
Looking at the mat/saddle thing the rideable gogoat has, I'm thinking it's only possible in certain areas. Perhaps only with certain gogoat. A rental service working in the central city would feel plausible.

The rollerskates feel like a more fitting replacement for bikes. I suppose creating models and animations for the character mounting and riding bicycles is much more difficult than just giving us shoes. Not that I wouldn't want the bicycle to make its return.

I'm certain HMs will still be around. I hope their system is at least a little revamped, though.
I have to agree with pretty much everything you said.

I'm pretty sure the Gogoat riding feature will be Lumiose City exclusive, maybe some kind of rental service as suggested.

The rollerskates do seem like a replacement for the bikes. I don't see both being included, wouldn't make sense to create a "speed" between running and the bike, at least to me.
Unless maybe we don't have the running feature anymore? Maybe the fast walking is the new regular walking speed?

HM's will more than likely make a return. I actually wouldn't mind, just as long as they can be forgotten like any other move

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old May 20th, 2013 (02:54 AM).
An awesome usertitle
Crystal Tier

Running shoes were necessary because of the movement controls for Game Boy and the original DS.

I assume, with the analog stick on the 3DS, that the ability to control the "strength" of your direction is possible. Maybe you can make the character walk faster by pushing the stick further.

Old May 20th, 2013 (05:23 AM).
► My Happy Little Pill 
Platinum Tier

On the topic of Gogoat, yup, pretty much what I've been saying all along. If they were really going to show off riding Pokémon they probably wouldn't have limited the location of the display to one location. I'm really expecting it to be a Lumiose City exclusive, and probably won't be available anywhere else.

As for a Bicycle replacement, I could see the roller blades replacing it, although that kind of seems like an odd choice. I mean, bikes have much more ability to be ridden in a variety of landscapes, whereas roller blades/skates are kind of limited to smooth terrains. You can't exactly ride roller blades easily through grass. Just seems like odd choice to me.
Old May 20th, 2013 (06:18 AM).
An awesome usertitle
Crystal Tier

The bicycles in Pokémon can be ridden on sand as well as across stairs.
I agree that it's a really odd choice, but realism doesn't seem to be their top priority when it comes to this stuff. :P

Old May 20th, 2013 (06:40 AM).
► My Happy Little Pill 
Platinum Tier

The bicycles in Pokémon can be ridden on sand as well as across stairs.
I agree that it's a really odd choice, but realism doesn't seem to be their top priority when it comes to this stuff. :P
Valid point haha. I mean, you definitely can't ride a bike up stairs, so I guess realism is pretty much just thrown out. I mean if that's the case I definitely wouldn't mind roller skates, although I feel like they'd be slower than the Bike.
Old May 20th, 2013 (07:30 AM).
An awesome usertitle
Crystal Tier

Something that just hit me is the move Fly.
No doubt It'll be in the game, but I wonder how it looks.

I read a speculative thread on /vp/ where this was proposed;

"When you use Fly, the camera is zoomed out and you're lifted in the air by wind with feathers falling down. You then see a first person view of the whole Kalos Region, with clouds covering the places you've yet to visit, and you select a location to fly down by selection a marker...then the camera zooms downward, the screen fades, and your character floats down from the air in a similar fashion as how he took off."

A cool, immersive idea, AND a throwback to generation one and two. Take my money.

Old May 20th, 2013 (09:32 AM).
Eye of the Storm

I'm going to be blunt here. We're not going to be able to ride our own Pokémon. Basically, what you're seeing with the Gogoat is sort of like a bus in a major city, except the buses are only for one person and use living creatures (Gogoats).

I'd love to ride my own Pokémon, and maybe someday we will be able to in Generation XII or something, but until then...

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old May 20th, 2013 (09:47 AM).
Dreams take you higher ♥

Nature: Jolly
I feel so sorry for the Torchic ..
How cool would it be to see the actual flight when using fly as well! Mounting Pokémons is awesome! I hope you get to ride Rapidash, Arcanine and so on!

Eeveelutions ♥
Old May 21st, 2013 (02:10 AM).
WUB WUB
Gold Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
Quote originally posted by CycloneGU:
I'm going to be blunt here. We're not going to be able to ride our own Pokémon. Basically, what you're seeing with the Gogoat is sort of like a bus in a major city, except the buses are only for one person and use living creatures (Gogoats).
That's what i am starting to think as well, maybe there is like a Gogoat rental in Lumiose city.
I hope we'll get to ride our own Pokemon one day, but for now, this seems to be it.
At least it's a starting point (:

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old May 21st, 2013 (02:29 AM).
California Dreamin'
Platinum Tier

I'm pretty certain that Go-Goat will be the only ridable Pokemon in these games and only in specific areas. We may be able to use Pokemon for different uses or methods of transport, but I think Gogoat will be the only Pokemon we can actually mount.
Old May 21st, 2013 (06:03 AM).
► My Happy Little Pill 
Platinum Tier

Ignoring all the Gogoat stuff because I agree with it all =P

Running shoes were necessary because of the movement controls for Game Boy and the original DS.

I assume, with the analog stick on the 3DS, that the ability to control the "strength" of your direction is possible. Maybe you can make the character walk faster by pushing the stick further.
I don't know why I skipped over this post, but this is something I really like and would love to see implemented. It makes total sense, too, since this is how the majority of games with an analog stick are. Just being able to hard press the stick to run would be awesome instead of having to hold down the B button to do so. Here's hoping they take from other games and do this!
Old May 21st, 2013 (10:50 AM).
Hail HYDRA! Long live the SITH! Team LANNISTER!

Spoiler:

I can imagine a mini game... Burnout - Pokemon Edition. Or something close to it. Riding Pokemon is an awesome idea. Gogoat!
Old May 21st, 2013 (12:22 PM).
Eye of the Storm

Quote originally posted by Iqid Loopz:
Spoiler:

I can imagine a mini game... Burnout - Pokemon Edition. Or something close to it. Riding Pokemon is an awesome idea. Gogoat!
Grand Theft Auto - Pikachu Edition?

Nah, some things should never be changed.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old May 21st, 2013 (12:37 PM).
► My Happy Little Pill 
Platinum Tier

The kind of had stuff similar to that with the Pokéathlon (just you weren't riding your Pokémon in there), so that would actually be fun to see pop up in the games officially. Maybe in the city where you ride Gogoat there's a racetrack where you can enter your Pokémon? Of course they'd have to be from a list of Pokémon preset so you aren't riding something like a Jigglypuff =P
Old May 21st, 2013 (01:24 PM).
Eye of the Storm

Quote originally posted by Jake♫:
The kind of had stuff similar to that with the Pokéathlon (just you weren't riding your Pokémon in there), so that would actually be fun to see pop up in the games officially. Maybe in the city where you ride Gogoat there's a racetrack where you can enter your Pokémon? Of course they'd have to be from a list of Pokémon preset so you aren't riding something like a Jigglypuff =P
You mean I won't be able to ride my Piplup? Darnit!

Cyclone

Old May 21st, 2013 (03:20 PM). Edited May 21st, 2013 by hiff8.
Gotta Derp em all

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a thing for that town, just with Gogoat like

"Hey kid, Tired of walking everywhere" says a mysterious voice, you turn and see a booth this a old guy in it "I know I am, how would you like to ride through (insert town name here) in leasure."

*Character walks over*

"For just 500 (Poke-currency symbol) you can ride around this town with ease." he says

You Irl "Hell yeah, I finally got the bike!".

*You pay the man*

"Haha, great choice, just follow me down this ally"

You Irl "What? Am I getting molested?"

You reach the end of the alley and met with a green fenced off area surrounded by the stone walls of the builings, filled with Gogoats.

"Pick any one you like, oh and here take this!"

*You got the Gogoat saddle"

You Irl "AWEESSSOOOMEEE"

You begin to chase one down in a OCO chicken chasing fashion until you notice one with a slightly different color, holy crap sauce a shiny! You run up to it and try to saddle it, but as soon as you do he kicks you in the face ( I bet he's faster, and maybe requires me to feed him berries or needs a special saddle). You grab a different one, slightly disappointed but still pumped! You race around the town, unable to enter buildings unless you dismount at which point Gogoat runs back to the stables; of course you try to leave town, at which point the old man runs up to you and pushes you off

"Hey are you trying to steal my merchandise? Stay in (City name here)!" then he mounts it and rides off.
Old May 21st, 2013 (03:29 PM).
Eye of the Storm

Quote originally posted by hiff8:
I'm pretty sure it's going to be a thing for that town, just with Gogoat like

"Hey kid, Tired of walking everywhere" says a mysterious voice, you turn and see a booth this a old guy in it "I know I am, how would you like to ride through (insert town name here) in leasure."

*Character walks over*

"For just 500 (Poke-currency symbol) you can ride around this town with ease." he says

You Irl "Hell yeah, I finally got the bike!".

*You pay the man*

"Haha, great choice, just follow me down this ally"

You Irl "What? Am I getting molested?"

You reach the end of the alley and met with a green fenced off area surrounded by the stone walls of the builings, filled with Gogoats.

"Pick any one you like, oh and here take this!"

*You got the Gogoat saddle"

You Irl "AWEESSSOOOMEEE"

You begin to chase one down in a OCO chicken chasing fashion until you notice one with a slightly different color, holy crap sauce a shiny! You run up to it and try to saddle it, but as soon as you do he kicks you in the face ( I bet he's faster, and maybe requires me to feed him berries or needs a special saddle). You grab a different one, slightly disappointed but still pumped! You race around the town, unable to enter buildings unless you dismount at which point Gogoat runs back to the stables; of course you try to leave town, at which point the old man runs up to you and push you off

"Hey are you trying to steal my merchandise? Stay in (City name here)!" then he mounts it and rides off.
For all your scripting needs, that's hiff8, care of...

Basically, yes. That's what I'm suggesting. Though in much fewer words. Also, I think you'd be given a bubble saying you can't leave town, and you turn around and go back one square back within the city limits; I've never heard of those kinds of characters being so rude as to push you off a goat - I mean, Gogoat.

Cyclone

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links