The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center

Notices

ARCHIVED: Battle Center This forum is designed for all of your Pokémon battling needs! The main forum is meant for discussions, battle requests, battle logs, and other threads related to battling. Look to the sub-forums for events and team help.

Old May 16th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Nicktaco
Hot Sensation

Like honesty in a trick room it can OHKO anything
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Griffinbane
FEAR THE PILOSWINE

Nature: Lax
If you poke it, it dies. That's basically it.

White: 1463 5558 5309
X: 2208 5685 5454
- - - -
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:15 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
To elaborate, Rampardos is slow and has terrible defenses, with its high HP stat only good for absorbing Head Smash recoil. It also has common weaknesses to Water, Grass, Ground, Fighting (and Steel to a lesser extent). Priority is rather common in OU (Mach Punch from Breloom and Conkeldurr, Bullet Punch from Scizor and Metagross, Aqua Jet from Azumarill, etc.). Rain teams are also rampant, capitalizing on Rampardos' Water weakness.

Old May 16th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Nicktaco
Hot Sensation

Good point but in a trick room with earthquake in VGC it will most likely kill both pokèmon
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:15 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktaco View Post
Good point but in a trick room with earthquake in VGC it will most likely kill both pokèmon
That's true, but Rampardos isn't good in VGC settings either because of its common weaknesses to spread moves (Earthquake, Surf, etc.).

Old May 16th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Griffinbane
FEAR THE PILOSWINE

In VGC, Rampardos is still terrible because of its wet paper bag defenses. All three weather runs rampant and you just can't build a team to help support Rampardos unless you dedicate one Pokemon to use something like Follow Me the entire time Rampardos is on the field. And even then, it'll likely die to Blizzard or Surf, which ignores Follow Me/Rage Powder thanks to the splash. Water, grass, ice, fighting moves are extremely common. Hell, I'll say those types mostly dominate the scene.

- - - -
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Hikamaru
→ make a wish

Nature: Quirky
I may have never played at a VGC (since my country doesn't have them) but I do know that the reason Rampardos never gets used is like what the others said above, loads of its common weaknesses are present and there's also splash damage moves like Earthquake and Surf that can't even be saved by Rage Powder or Follow Me.

Also, as PlatinumDude said, priority moves and Rain teams are also running around in the OU metagame, meaning it can get KO'd very easily. It does have high HP, but that's only good for absorbing some of the recoil, its Defense and Special Defense sadly don't back it up.
And not forget where you’ve come from

pairs | showdown | tumblr | vm

Old May 16th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori

Nature: Calm
You are still repeating "with Trick Room".
You have pretty much answered your question. Because you need to set up Trick Room before you can even use it.
Old May 17th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Nonon
losing my head

Nature: Jolly
Sure, it may have the highest Attack out of all Non-legendaries, but as numerous others stated, it has a bunch of common weaknesses in competitive play, mainly Water, Fighting and Ground. Rampardos is basically owned whenever it steps into play, sadly. A powerful Physical attacker to replace it with is Black Kyurem, and its stats and typing ensure it takes hit more efficiently than Rampardos.

Rampardos may be alright in NU, but anywhere outside of it, it's deemed pointless.
Old May 17th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Griffinbane
FEAR THE PILOSWINE

Kyurem and most non-trio legendaries are banned from VGC play so replacing Rampardos with Kyurem is moot.

Anyhow, I forgot to point this out but EQ's splash is ineffective at least half the time because most teams are chock-full of Levitate and flying-types. Rampardos with EQ is still crap.

- - - -
Old June 10th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Typhlosion Hacker :3
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktaco View Post
Like honesty in a trick room it can OHKO anything
Its defense stat is not very well going for it.
Also, it has weaknesses to a lot of common types in the NU tier, so your efforts for sweeping are halted unless you take out all of Rampardos's threats.

Also, there is fact it only functions well really in TR. In TR, it can do a whole lot, but normally, all you have to do is pretty much have any pokemon that has super effective moves on Rampardos, because generally it is faster.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links