Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation
Reload this Page 3rd Generation: R/S/E Vs. FR/LG

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

View Poll Results: Did You Like R/S/E or L/F?
R/S/E 42 70.00%
FR/LG 18 30.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18th, 2013 (06:48 AM).
Experienced Pokemon Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Which one was the best for you? gameplay wise, considering there are two different regions here and what did you like about the one you chose?
In MY Opinion I think I'll favor Leafgreen and Firered just because I love the kanto pokemon.
Old May 18th, 2013 (07:06 AM).
Back by popular demand?

My favorite of the two was fire red and leaf green. To me it looked a lot better graphically. I don't really know why, but it just did. Ruby and Sapphire were what I consider to be the pokemon games' "pre-teen phase". It's like they knew what they wanted to do, but they weren't exactly sure how to do it. But that's just me, and what do I know? Another reason why I liked LG so much was because it just felt easier to pick up and play anytime. Probably because of the last 5 steps thing they had every time you booted up your file. That to me was a great touch because if i put it down and left it for 20 years (the game battery would be dead, but I'm exaggerating so just roll with it) and then came back to it, I'd still be know what pokemon I was training.
TL;DR version: I'm really bias towards LG because nostalgia and having good times with the game.

~The end~
Old May 18th, 2013 (08:21 AM).
Goin' Bananas
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Timid
Fixed the title slightly since FireRed and LeafGreen are better known as FRLG, not F and L haha. Anyway, I love RSE and Emerald is my favorite game and I'm Queen of Hoenn and I'm a fluffy Altaria and well you see where my vote is going, right? ;)

Not only that, but as remakes, I felt like FRLG fell flat, especially after HGSS came out and we saw what all they managed with those games. For a long time, I didn't even like FRLG anymore, so yeah. I've come back to enjoying them and such cause I'm a GBA junkie, but still, they aren't the best remakes. Which is understandable, though. They were the first.

hobbies include playin' terits and huggin' diddy kong
Old May 18th, 2013 (08:23 AM).
The Harbinger of Solitude
Platinum Tier

Nature: Modest
FR/LG. I don't like 3rd gen Pokemon that much really and 1st gen is my second favorite gen after 4th.
Old May 18th, 2013 (08:48 AM).
Tsunderes forever

Nature: Naughty
Ruby and Sapphire of course as it has my Favorite villain team Aqua and has one of the best place added in Emerald the battle frontier. FR/LG was boring after you complete the story is done.
Old May 18th, 2013 (10:31 AM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Although LeafGreen is undoubtedly a class game (hell, let's be honest the only main series games to fall short so far are Diamond / Pearl when compared with Platinum, and Black/White. In my opinion anyway, and I'm not saying they're bad games), Emerald wins it for me, perhaps due to being my first game or something - I love all the pokémon in it, and I mean all of them. Even Zubat is ok in Emerald. And everthing about the game - the region, the music, the storyline, etc. means that you can beat a classic :)
Old May 18th, 2013 (11:28 AM).
Void Walker

Nature: Quiet
I like RSE more due to the exotic region layout and more expansive post-game setting.
Old May 18th, 2013 (10:38 PM).
my past is not today.
CS

I've always found it tough to decide which set of games is my favorite, especially when you're lumping Emerald with Ruby/Sapphire (which makes sense, though). If we were talking about R/S by themselves, I would've had to go with FireRed/LeafGreen as my favorites, mostly because they were remakes that were done very well, and I managed to spend hundreds of hours on the game, long after I'd completed the story.

If you add Emerald, though, R/S/E would be my favorite of the two, and the one I chose in the poll. The Battle Frontier really got me excited in Pokemon again, plus the combination of the already good storylines of Ruby and Sapphire into one game made me love it that much more.
Pokémon Poll of the Week #7: Which Q is your A?

Moderator of Pokémon General
Old May 20th, 2013 (06:58 AM).
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
I liked RSE beter than FRLG because in RSE there were a lot more of extra things you can do such as the Battle Frontier, Pokemon Contest and making Pokeblocks and it took me a lot longer to beat than FRLG.

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old May 20th, 2013 (12:16 PM).

I liked R/S/E better for a number of reasons.

-Saphire was my first video game ever (GBA was my first console), so that makes me a little biased in favor of R/S/E

-I loved all of third gen's legendaries and most of the regular pokemon (always hated feebas because I could never find one :/ )

-The region itself was amazing, all of the towns/areas.

-I loved alot of the side adventures (such as the search for the Regi's)

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."
- Emile Zola
Old May 20th, 2013 (03:33 PM).

Emerald was the best. Battle Frontier. Enough said.

Old May 21st, 2013 (02:41 AM).
Run! Run for it!
Platinum Tier

RSE any day. They are still my favourite Pokemon games to date, FRLG didn't appeal to me much at all tbh.
Old May 21st, 2013 (05:18 AM).
Crystal Tier

Personally, I think FRLG trumped RS, but then Emerald was pretty much the best. RS had a great story, great Pokémon, and introduced more great gameplay to the series. FRLG was good in that it gave us access to the older Pokémon (most of which were seriously lacking in RSE, for obvious reasons). In terms of post-game, FRLG was INFINITELY better than RS, with essentially another region to explore (much like GS had). RS only had a Battle Tower, which to be honest just isn't much fun, especially back then when there was no boss to beat at the end and it was literally battling for average items.

Emerald however, trumped FRLG, with the Battle Frontier. It had the great aspects RS had, plus a very much elongated post-game, which was just what was needed. It also gave access to a lot of other older Pokémon that couldn't even be accessed in FRLG. In my opinion, it literally works out like this:

RS < FRLG < Emerald

This one's called 'Blue', and it's very Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old May 25th, 2013 (01:31 PM).
I Dropped The Lift Key...

Nature: Impish
Yeah, I could definitely say Emerald is the best of gen 3 hands down followed by FR/LG then R/S. The only problem I have with R/S is that there is a lack of a post game and considering G/S/C had another region after beating the E4, R/S were really disappointing to me.

Old May 25th, 2013 (02:18 PM).
Lizardon Man

Nature: Adamant
FR/LG > R/S

Emerald though gives you the best bang for your buck.

If I had to choose regions though, Kanto/Johto is where I'm in my element so I'm gonna go FR/LG.

Old May 25th, 2013 (05:14 PM).
Courage doesn't always roar.

Nature: Brave
Well, think about it for a minute.

When R/S/E came out, It was a thrill because everything was completely new. Gamefreak finally decided to leave behind Kanto and start somewhere completely different. I remember having that sense of, "damn, nothing is going to beat the original" as if I was unwilling to let go.

Those 3 games really changed it up for the series. When LG/FR came out, of course nothing will compare to the original. So, I wouldn't compare the two honestly .. the two are on their own league.
Old May 25th, 2013 (10:01 PM).
my heart pumps out old red paint
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald for me, since Hoenn was my first region as far as my Pokemon game playing career goes. I never played the Kanto games, not even FireRed/LeafGreen.

Also, I loved most of the Hoenn Pokemon and while R/S lacked much of a post-game, Emerald did make up for that.

battle server | tumblr | profile | lovely pair
adoption center mentor | fairy-type club

Old May 25th, 2013 (10:39 PM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote originally posted by Sydian:
Fixed the title slightly since FireRed and LeafGreen are better known as FRLG, not F and L haha. Anyway, I love RSE and Emerald is my favorite game and I'm Queen of Hoenn and I'm a fluffy Altaria and well you see where my vote is going, right? ;)

Not only that, but as remakes, I felt like FRLG fell flat, especially after HGSS came out and we saw what all they managed with those games. For a long time, I didn't even like FRLG anymore, so yeah. I've come back to enjoying them and such cause I'm a GBA junkie, but still, they aren't the best remakes. Which is understandable, though. They were the first.
Pretty much the exact same as Syd. Except I am the king of Hoenn.
Old June 2nd, 2013 (03:41 PM).
Devon Corporation Secretary

Nature: Gentle
I really liked Ruby and Sapphire more.
I think that those versions are less straight forward so I spend more time on them when i replay them. I'm also always finding new little things in them even if they are just silly items or dialogue.
Old June 4th, 2013 (10:51 PM).
Bring your melody to life
Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
RSE for me, because Hoenn is the first region that I played, and I like Hoenn region in overall.
Old June 6th, 2013 (03:39 AM).
★heroes
CS

Nature: Naive
R/S/E all the way. Ruby was my second pokémon game ever and I think they did some things worse with FR/LG after the Hoenn games. Like the music; the R/S/E music was really good, REALLY good as an improvement from gen II. The Kanto music in gen III was just a bad conversion of the old melodies into some form of round soundfont that sounded silly. The original tunes of R/S/E were much more interesting to listen to.

And the gameplay sort of felt slower in FR/LG. Plus, the region should have been edited a bit I think, to make it decently interesting after the dramatic and exciting nature of Hoenn. But no, they just put a splash of color onto the old maps, more or less. Ugh.

:> So yeah, I could go on but R/S/E is very much better I think.
Old June 6th, 2013 (05:51 AM).
Say my name, silverflame, take control
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
I'm gonna be a bit biased here and say FR/LG. Back before I gave away my GBA:SP and my games, I only actually had 2 Pokemon games left, Blue and Leaf Green (hence why Kanto is my favourite region, despite G/S being my favourite games), as I'd let a friend borrow my Silver, which he lost shortly afterwards, meaning I never got see my Lugia again, and I somehow managed to lose my Ruby after like 2 months, so there wasn't really much variety when it came to Pokemon games. But yeah, this means I spent a lot more time with Leaf Green than I ever had with Ruby, and thus I've grown quite a bit more fond of that game, however it isn't entirely biased either.

While I really loved the story in R/S/E, I felt like the gameplay felt a bit short. And I'm not a third generation Pokemon hater, but the Pokemon in that generation just didn't appeal to me like the ones from the first two generations did, perhaps because the designs felt so different with the upgraded hardware, which in my mind kinda made them feel less like Pokemon. My biggest problem with the games was however the CONSTANT SURFING. URRGH. It may just be me who's really bad at Pokemon, but I felt like the difficulty of those games were significantly higher than any of the other games, which often lead to the lack of money. Lack of money = lack of repels. Lack of repels = ENCOUNTERS EVERY 2 TILES WHILE TRYING TO PROGRESS GIVE ME A BREAK!!! This is especially annoying when 3/4 of the encounters are overleveled Pelippers with Supersonic, and it just slowed down my progression in the games insanely much, as well as seriously annoying me >:((( But aside from those minor annoyances, I really enjoyed the games, and I'm really looking forward to some remakes :)

Old June 6th, 2013 (08:36 AM).

FR/LG, by far. As someone who started with Pokémon Red back in the '90s, I was glad that FR/LG was a faithful remake of the originals while taking advantage of new graphics and mechanics. Nowadays, I consider them to be the ideal starting point for someone new to this franchise and the most solid games overall. Never liked Generation III games (R/S/E) and respective pokémons. Not from my time, I guess...
Old June 6th, 2013 (08:37 AM).

Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Brendino:
I've always found it tough to decide which set of games is my favorite, especially when you're lumping Emerald with Ruby/Sapphire (which makes sense, though). If we were talking about R/S by themselves, I would've had to go with FireRed/LeafGreen as my favorites, mostly because they were remakes that were done very well, and I managed to spend hundreds of hours on the game, long after I'd completed the story.

If you add Emerald, though, R/S/E would be my favorite of the two, and the one I chose in the poll. The Battle Frontier really got me excited in Pokemon again, plus the combination of the already good storylines of Ruby and Sapphire into one game made me love it that much more.
I pretty much agree with this, although I wasn't too bothered about Battle Frontier personally.

These are probably the 2 sets of games I've replayed the most times and this is undoubtedly the best generation so it's tough for me to have to disregard FR/LG.

I much prefer the graphical style of FR/LG though, that's the only criteria that has a massive difference in quality for me.
Old June 22nd, 2013 (05:57 PM).
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nature: Naughty
I vote Hoenn, I'm sorry, I just don't like Kanto. At all. Sevii Islands were nice but I still found the games to be incredibly boring, maybe because I didn't like the plot.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links