The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Did You Like R/S/E or L/F?
R/S/E 42 70.00%
FR/LG 18 30.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 25th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Powalen

Advertise here
RSE all day everyday baby!! Hoenn was the best region by far and imo always will be. It had the best Pokemon and was just beautiful <3

Old June 29th, 2013, 12:35 AM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
R/S/E for me because I was fed up to play Kanto in so many games as well Hoenn specially in Emerald offers variety of cool new things
Old July 7th, 2013, 07:27 PM
xboxmandude

Nature: Lonely
I think that FR is better in some ways...
The pixel art of FR is better.
The ability to battle trainers again whenever you want (VS Seeker)
I Felt that the game was bigger because it had the sevi islands

Anyway that's not the point...
The best pokemon game could have existed on the GBA
Nintendo didn't have the brains to do it.
That's why Rom hacks exist.
You see... In my opinion, neither of the Gen 3 games are completed.
All lack something.
The main thing that disappointed me about R/S/E was that there wasn't any VS Seeker.
Waiting for trainers to battle you again sucks.
FR lacks weather effects, it doesn't have a time system, moving pkmn.

I'd go with Ultra Violet
It's a hack of FR..
It's basically FR with all the pokemon... Some New maps, some new events, overall very good, could use better graphics...

Traded to emerald
Favourite pokemon game
Fire red.(Ultra violet) + emerald

Oh yeah I hate the newer gen..
Anything after gen 3 sucks
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Anguscr4p
3rd Gen Enthusiast

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to Anguscr4p
R/S were new and exciting but felt very unpolished. That said, Sapphire was my first pokemon game and I played the crap out of it.

FR/LG were excellent remakes, and had much better looking maps and interfaces. I've never played the original games, so they were also new for me.

Emerald takes the cake though. An expanded storyline, the graphics from FR/LG, and finally a good postgame make it my favorite by far. It also brought back pokemon animations, which help the game feel so much more alive.

So I'd say the games got progressively better, with R/S and FR/LG both bringing good things to the table, and Emerald combined those good things into an awesome game.

POKEMON EMERALD+ -coming soon
(Sometime in July...hopefully)

Wanna talk? Send me a PM!
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Anguscr4p
3rd Gen Enthusiast

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to Anguscr4p
R/S were new and exciting but felt very unpolished. That said, Sapphire was my first pokemon game and I played the crap out of it.

FR/LG were excellent remakes, and had much better looking maps and interfaces. I've never played the original games, so they were also new for me.

Emerald takes the cake though. An expanded storyline, the graphics from FR/LG, and finally a good postgame make it my favorite by far. It also brought back pokemon animations, which help the game feel so much more alive.

So I'd say the games got progressively better, with R/S and FR/LG both bringing good things to the table, and Emerald combined those good things into an awesome game.

POKEMON EMERALD+ -coming soon
(Sometime in July...hopefully)

Wanna talk? Send me a PM!
Old July 13th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Sheep
may the stars shine down on you

Nature: Timid
This is a little hard for me. R/S/E were when my interest in Pokemon was at its prime and my friends and I had wonderful memories playing the games. On the other hand, FR/LG had a lot more to do and the inclusion of the VS Seeker made it a really great game. I say both.

whooo clubs
family twin
my star
Old July 27th, 2013, 09:16 PM
nitemate
Don't play Pokemon anymore ...

Nature: Rash
I like the sevii island quest in FR/LG.
Old July 28th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Mackenzie
Say Somethin'!

Nature: Careful
This is a tough decision. Though i have to go with r/s/e. The revamp in emerald, the expansive battle frontier drew me in (if its replay value were counting, emerald introduced quite a lot of facilities in the frontier as it opened up new opportunities in battling; multi-battle system actually won me over), as well as the introduction of the berry planting. Although i have to admit nintendo gave justice to the creation of pokemon fr/lg and that it was a great remake (much better than hg/ss despite gsc being my most favorite pokemon version), I would choose rse over it.

chat
Old July 28th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Golden Warrior
Pokemon Professor

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Golden Warrior
Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald gave us a new type of story (which has since made it to a trend in Pokemon games), gave us new Pokemon, gave us time-based events, and gave us even more interesting mechanics, such as the Mach and Acro bikes, or the berries found across the vast region. (Oh, did I mention the trumpets? Love em.)

Fire Red and Leaf Green gave us back what many wanted again, the old style of games, no clock-based events or grow-able berries, access to old Pokemon almost impossible to get otherwise, and giving back that old feeling of Gen. one while still maintaining the feel of a new game.

Truly, both are masterpieces, but, because of the various new features that Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald (especially Emerald) give to us, they beat Fire Red and Leaf Green quite easily. This is of course, only opinion.

(Also, maaan, Emerald, whole ton of features not even R/S could give us.)

3DS/Pokemon Y FC: 5300 - 9087 - 1138
I'll be up to battle or trade, I'll also always be up to multibattle. PM me if you add me here, give me a reason that you're adding me, and I'll be sure to add you back!

Friend Safari: Bug Type
Pokemon: Paras, Beautifly, and Pinsir.
Old July 28th, 2013, 11:12 AM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeKangaroo View Post
I vote Hoenn, I'm sorry, I just don't like Kanto. At all. Sevii Islands were nice but I still found the games to be incredibly boring, maybe because I didn't like the plot.
Same here, I didn't like the original R/B/G that much & FR/LG weren't that different story-wise so I didn't enjoy them as much as R/S/E...
But I shouldn't expect much, like others said here it was the first remake so we shouldn't expect it to be the best, it was cool playing with first gen pokes in 32bit colors but aside from that the game wasn't that amusing. However I liked the Sevii Islands part a bit, six islands were too much but it was fun searching for the stones for Bill's machine so I can get to Mewtwo.
I liked Kanto better in G/S/C, I don't really know why maybe it's for nostalgic reasons?

Anyway I voted for R/S/E & I hope they remake them soon!
Old July 29th, 2013, 07:27 PM
TreeKangaroo
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonygooseD View Post
Same here, I didn't like the original R/B/G that much & FR/LG weren't that different story-wise so I didn't enjoy them as much as R/S/E...
But I shouldn't expect much, like others said here it was the first remake so we shouldn't expect it to be the best, it was cool playing with first gen pokes in 32bit colors but aside from that the game wasn't that amusing. However I liked the Sevii Islands part a bit, six islands were too much but it was fun searching for the stones for Bill's machine so I can get to Mewtwo.
I liked Kanto better in G/S/C, I don't really know why maybe it's for nostalgic reasons?

Anyway I voted for R/S/E & I hope they remake them soon!
Hopefully after X and Y. I forgot about the gem parts, I haven't played LG in a loooong time. Too bad you can't do the mew glitch. Oh, and the silph co. was annoying and made me want to chuck my gameboy against a wall.
Old July 29th, 2013, 08:22 PM
ScottishNutcase

Nature: Relaxed
I'm going to say Leaf Green; not because I feel it's the better designed game. Leaf Green was the Pokemon game I spent ages playing, my first one and the one that was shown to me. When I tried to buy Emerald instead I got sent a broken copy. Having never actually completed the game; got to the Elite Four on a ROM. I'm saying Leaf Green, due to the nostalgia involved.
Old July 29th, 2013, 10:22 PM
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
I think this poll is really no contest. I LOVE Kanto. But The Hoenn region is just beautiful. Plus the secret bases were alot of fun.
Old August 1st, 2013, 01:13 PM
AmourPearlShipper
Caution: Drunken people crossing

FRLG, because Kanto is my favorite region and the fact that you can fight the E4 twice. Hoenn was really cool, though, and I loved battling Steven in emerald.
SuperSkarmory | Serebii | Infernape in Ubers (peaked at #35!)
Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:34 AM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Since Hoenn introduces new Pokemon unlike FRLG, I'd choose RSE. However picking one over the other does no justice to the choice left out IMO because both RSE and FRLG are great games.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 02:16 PM
PokeChris123
Pokémon Trainer

Nature: Quiet
I'd choose R/S/E over Fr/Lg because it has better graphics in my opinion, has more types of game play (2 different Bikes, Contests, etc.), more Pokemon, able to evolve more Pokemon (Espeon & Umbreon), a better soundtrack, a father, Pokemon battle animations (Emerald Only) and the Battle Frontier (Emerald Only). But if anything, I still like Fr/Lg a whole lot.

Click here to vote for this month's X/Y Player Outfit Contest winner! (This month's theme by me!)

3DS Friend Code: 1590-4725-8396
Playstation Network ID: epic_oreo17
Nintendo Network ID: epic_oreo17

Pokemon Y Friend Safari - Flying

Message me if you've added me.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 08:02 PM
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

I prefer R/S/E over FR/LG but my overall favorite is Emerald. It was just the best game out of the 5 because it was just amazing. I love the Pokemon from Hoenn more than the Pokemon from Kanto. To me Hoenn looks like a more interesting Region (even with too much water) than Kanto and the Battle Frontier was the reason why I still played Emerald even after I defeated the Elite Four.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 08:51 PM
Andrew
멘붕

Nature: Relaxed
My vote has to go to R/S/E. I loved everything about those games. I loved a lot of the new pokémon, the region, and the look. Most of all, I loved the story. The story is what really hooked me into those games, and I still enjoy playing it over and over. Not to mention the post-game stuff they included in Emerald. That added a lot of hours to my playtime. FR/LG are great games, but R/S/E (more specifically, Emerald) are better in my opinion.

Pokémon Y:
FC: 2165-6285-6760
Name: Sapphire
Safari: Dark (Pawniard, Cacturne, Sableye)
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here