The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 28th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamiidenryuu View Post
If I remember correctly, the guy we think is the source of this posted somewhere else saying that WPM calling the moves "dual-typed" was misleading- he was actually referring to moves that were listed as and took STAB from one type but that have the relations of another type. So like Psyshock, but with types.
You mean like, for example, a STAB Normal move that's SE against Rock types due to its Fighting type characteristic? Sounds much more simpler than an actual dual-type move. So that rumor of Clauncher's move could be real after all.
Old June 28th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
If I remember correctly, the guy we think is the source of this posted somewhere else saying that WPM calling the moves "dual-typed" was misleading- he was actually referring to moves that were listed as and took STAB from one type but that have the relations of another type. So like Psyshock, but with types.
Psyshock is no where close to what the guy is describing. It doesn't change type or STAB relation. If he were trying to make a believable rumor then he should have said Hidden Power which is a Normal Attack that does a different Typed damage and the Damage type is what gives it STAB.

Other attacks that do the same thing are Natural Gift which changes type based on the Berry held. Its classified as a Normal Type attack, but the power and type of Damage as well as STAB depend on the held berry.

Nature Power is a location version that also does the same thing.

There are three existing attacks that meet the criteria of what was said.

The fact that he changed what he said the meaning was AFTER the large scale info release and that both a New type and TWO new battle formats were shown but no other battle changes were made, is just the same as that crazy Rapture guy changing the date of the Rapture after the day had actually passed and nothing happened.

Psyshock and Psystrike deal damage using the opponent's Defense stat rather than Special Defense as they are Special attacks. This is not anywhere similar to Changing type or changing STAB. The attack is still based the same and calculated the same offensively. The only difference is that the opponent's Physical Defenses are what take the hit. Offensive status doesn't change as its a Special attack dealing damage based on Special Attack stat, but the damage is physical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
You mean like, for example, a STAB Normal move that's SE against Rock types due to its Fighting type characteristic? Sounds much more simpler than an actual dual-type move. So that rumor of Clauncher's move could be real after all.
We have moves somewhat similar already so Clauncher's move was never really doubted, the Dual Type thing is. Its possible to code an attack to be one type but deal additional damage to another type not related to the effectiveness already set.

Chip Away is a distant relative to this idea in a way. It is a move that completely ignores Defense buffs by the opponent so it always does +0 DEF damage Calculations.

You even have coded Abilities that deal additional damage to Pokemon with a specific type of attack. A Pokemon with Dry Skin take an additional 25% damage from Fire attacks. A Pokemon like Paras and Parasect are the only two to go over x4 Damage as they take x5 Damage from Fire attacks when they have Dry Skin. A Pokemon that isn't weak is now somewhat weak to it. It also gives the user attacking a Pokemon with Dry Skin almost STAB like effect as its only half of what STAB is if you don't want to call it adding a fire weakness to the Pokemon.

Its not really hard to believe they'd make a Water attack and code it so that it does extra damage to another type that isn't Rock, Ground, or Fire.

Last edited by Khrysta; June 28th, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old June 29th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Yamiidenryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Psyshock is no where close to what the guy is describing. It doesn't change type or STAB relation. If he were trying to make a believable rumor then he should have said Hidden Power which is a Normal Attack that does a different Typed damage and the Damage type is what gives it STAB.

Other attacks that do the same thing are Natural Gift which changes type based on the Berry held. Its classified as a Normal Type attack, but the power and type of Damage as well as STAB depend on the held berry.

Nature Power is a location version that also does the same thing.

There are three existing attacks that meet the criteria of what was said.
Except that's not what I said at all. I was talking about moves that have one type for STAB and one for damage dealt, not moves that change type entirely. Psyshock is like that, but with mismatched damage categories instead of types.

Also, Chip Away has nothing to do with moves that have additional type effectiveness rules. It simply ignores defense boosts rather than changing effect depending on the boosts of the opponent. It's more like a move that ignores type advantages entirely and always does neutral damage, which doesn't really exist yet except as fixed-damage attacks. Clauncher's flying-SE water attack is more like Stomp doing double damage to Pokemon that've used Minimize.

Cheren Comic is a comic about Cheren! Go read it.
Old June 29th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
Except that's not what I said at all. I was talking about moves that have one type for STAB and one for damage dealt, not moves that change type entirely. Psyshock is like that, but with mismatched damage categories instead of types.

Also, Chip Away has nothing to do with moves that have additional type effectiveness rules. It simply ignores defense boosts rather than changing effect depending on the boosts of the opponent. It's more like a move that ignores type advantages entirely and always does neutral damage, which doesn't really exist yet except as fixed-damage attacks. Clauncher's flying-SE water attack is more like Stomp doing double damage to Pokemon that've used Minimize.
STAB is calculated on damage. The attack would have to match Damage's type to the pokemon's type. Which is why Hidden Power, Nature Power, and Natural Gift do not give STAB unless the damage is the same type. That still does not match Psyshock's damage calculation in any way.

Chip away matches the extra damage because its an attack that ignore pre-programed code that would otherwise lessen the damage. If the attack can deal additional damage to a type it does not normally effect, then that is a mandatory effect coded in to bypass flying's neutral damage from water type attacks. The coding would be similar to that of Chip Away's.

Stomp doesn't deal SE damage. Its Damage is doubled, yes but in the same way the defense curl powers up roll out or iceball. They still get normal resist checks in the damage equation instead of overriding part of the equation out.

You also have Psywave as a pretty good example. Psychic Attack that deals Typeless Damage so it ignores Psychic Type's STAB as well as Weakness and Resistance checks. Only thing it doesn't block is immunity which is odd but I think immunity has a harder code set in.

Last edited by Khrysta; June 29th, 2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old June 30th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Last Entei

I seen on Serebii that Fennekin Will be Fire/Psychic because in Hobby world fair thats one of his moves are Psychic

Last edited by Last Entei; June 30th, 2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old June 30th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Entei View Post
I seen on Serebii that Fennekin Will be Fire/Psychic because in Hobby world fair thats one of his moves are Psychic
Serebii never said it would be Fire/Psychic. It looks more likely and I do think Fennekin will end up Fire/Psychic but nothing has been confirmed.
Old July 1st, 2013, 03:59 AM
Clawvile

We saw Fennekin use Psybeam in one of the trailers so it is Possible, Plus Fennekin looks like it will be a Fire/psychic.

The legend of golurk: Pokeflute of time
Old July 2nd, 2013, 03:35 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawvile View Post
We saw Fennekin use Psybeam in one of the trailers so it is Possible, Plus Fennekin looks like it will be a Fire/psychic.
They've never shown fennekin using Psybeam in all of the trailers currently available on both the english and japanese sites. And Fennekin doesn't look like any specific type as they don't have defined looks for any of them.

Fennekin's body doesn't show any attributes to indicate it being psychic. If Fennekin can use Psychic attacks, well so can a large amount of non-psychic type Pokemon. If Fennekin's evolutions are part psychic then we'll see a definite change to the body in the art to try and emulate a physical relation to Psychic Pokemon. Other than that there is as much hints to Fennekin being Psychic as there was Tepig being Dark.

Right now there is no supporting proof. Psychic is still a TM (Nothing shown says otherwise and the book on Amazon says that TMs and HMs still exist.) and Fennekin learning a TM isn't that impressive.
Old July 4th, 2013, 12:21 PM
The Leafeon
Grassburn and Leafstorm!!!

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
They've never shown fennekin using Psybeam in all of the trailers currently available on both the english and japanese sites. And Fennekin doesn't look like any specific type as they don't have defined looks for any of them.

Fennekin's body doesn't show any attributes to indicate it being psychic. If Fennekin can use Psychic attacks, well so can a large amount of non-psychic type Pokemon. If Fennekin's evolutions are part psychic then we'll see a definite change to the body in the art to try and emulate a physical relation to Psychic Pokemon. Other than that there is as much hints to Fennekin being Psychic as there was Tepig being Dark.

Right now there is no supporting proof. Psychic is still a TM (Nothing shown says otherwise and the book on Amazon says that TMs and HMs still exist.) and Fennekin learning a TM isn't that impressive.
However this would be the first starter, fire or otherwise to learn it by TM or levelling.
Old July 6th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I don't think it being able to learn a TM for Psychic is any sort of proof that it is Psychic typed though. A whole plethora of things can learn it that aren't Psychic type. Just because it's the first Fire starter to learn it doesn't mean anything either. If it can learn it then it learns it, nothing else to it. It's very well possible it could be a secondary Psychic type though, but there's no definitive proof for it currently.
Old July 6th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Though curiously, I would like for Fennekin's type to remain Fire even throughout it's final evolution. That would be the first time something like that has happened since Typhlosion. Of course, we have Victini in UU to prove that Fire/Psychic isn't a terrible typing seeing as it's pretty formidable in it's own right, but yeah.
Old July 6th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Though curiously, I would like for Fennekin's type to remain Fire even throughout it's final evolution. That would be the first time something like that has happened since Typhlosion. Of course, we have Victini in UU to prove that Fire/Psychic isn't a terrible typing seeing as it's pretty formidable in it's own right, but yeah.
Victini has 600 bst and flat 100s across the board. If he weren't a legendary Pokemon and something with 400ish bst he'd be NU. Coverage wise its fairly bad and if your individual stats did not carry you through, you'd be crap. Legends get high tiers on stats alone more than half the time. If they drop to sub-par its because of horrible moves or abilities/outclassed by another similar legend. BST of 600 almost guarantees a high spot no matter how bad the type may be.
Old July 9th, 2013, 03:29 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Victini has 600 bst and flat 100s across the board. If he weren't a legendary Pokemon and something with 400ish bst he'd be NU. Coverage wise its fairly bad and if your individual stats did not carry you through, you'd be crap. Legends get high tiers on stats alone more than half the time. If they drop to sub-par its because of horrible moves or abilities/outclassed by another similar legend. BST of 600 almost guarantees a high spot no matter how bad the type may be.
You've got a point there, just look at Celebi...has one of the worst type combos but is OU. Though sometimes even stats don't help if one lacks a good moveset, just look at Black Kyurem, one needs a mix of the two.
Hopefully Fennekin's final will be a Fire/Psychic or a Fire/Ground and have a diverse moveset (unlike Serperior), and a useful Hidden Ability if they come back.
Old July 9th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

We have a new rumor regarding new Pokemon. This time, it's from 2chan involving this month's CoroCoro. According to the rumor, these are our new Pokemon who will be revealed alongside of Honedge:

Quote:
パンプラ(草ゴースト) Panpura (Grass/Ghost) a Pumpkin-like Pokemon
ヨツルン(氷格闘)Yotsurun (Ice/Fighting) A giant-like pokemon with a special move called “ice hammer"
ショーマイ(水虫) Shohmai (Water/Bug)
ミュージー(エスパー) Myuujii (psyshic) Posibly a previously leaked name of Meowstick by pokebeach.
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Khrysta

Only reason I may not believe the new rumor is because I'm not expecting anything but Movie info in this CoroCoro...Which means I expect more info on Mewtwo, Sylveon and Fairy Type since all three are related to the new Movie that airs in 4 days.

Pokejungle's version of the translated info seems a little bit different.

Quote:
Panpura (Grass/Ghost) – Pumpkin ghost Pokemon, may be based on a Jack ‘O Lantern, likes to prank and uses Astonish
Yotsurun (Ice/Fighting) – Giant with a horn, uses the move Ice Hammer
Syoomai (Water/Bug) – Snail-like evolution of Shellos which gains an actual shell
Myuujii (Psychic) – Pokemon based on a quarter note which has a move or ability called Battle Melody which lowers opponent’s stats and raises user’s
Myuujii being a Music note is different than Meowstick and Espurr which were supposedly cats.
Syoomai is said to be a Shellos evo which I find to be cool.

Still don't expect them to be real, but I do like these four supposed Pokemon so far.

Last edited by Khrysta; July 9th, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Community Supporter

I love the idea of an Ice giant Pokémon.
Also the Shellos side evolution would be cool to see as Shellos' line was usually suppose to have a shell.
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Hikamaru
a.k.a. nichole
Community Supporter

I have to say, these rumored Pokemon look pretty fun. The Jack-o-lantern one has a really awesome type combination. Grass/Ghost would make it not be weak to Poison or Bug which seems fun but the weaknesses are pretty wide - Fire, Ice, Flying, Dark and Ghost. Can't wait to see if it does turn out real.

But that Ice/Fighting-type looks pretty awesome as far as type combinations go. Pretty unusual mix but at least it would lack a Stealth Rock weakness which seems to troll a lot of Ice Pokemon bar the Swinub line. And a new Shellos evolution would look fun, I wonder if they'll implement the two color differences on that as well.

Even if it is not confirmed real, it does look pretty awesome though.
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
I have to say, these rumored Pokemon look pretty fun. The Jack-o-lantern one has a really awesome type combination. Grass/Ghost would make it not be weak to Poison or Bug which seems fun but the weaknesses are pretty wide - Fire, Ice, Flying, Dark and Ghost. Can't wait to see if it does turn out real.

But that Ice/Fighting-type looks pretty awesome as far as type combinations go. Pretty unusual mix but at least it would lack a Stealth Rock weakness which seems to troll a lot of Ice Pokemon bar the Swinub line. And a new Shellos evolution would look fun, I wonder if they'll implement the two color differences on that as well.

Even if it is not confirmed real, it does look pretty awesome though.
Also the Jack-o-lantern will be immune to normal and fighting moves and basically that number of weaknesses is the same as a plain grass type so it's not that bad. Also having ghost will give it stab for Ghost moves! Give it Levitate and it'll have three resistances. Or maybe a new ability like fire absorb in which it absorbs Fire moves which would eliminate it's fire weakness!
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Hikamaru
a.k.a. nichole
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Also the Jack-o-lantern will be immune to normal and fighting moves and basically that number of weaknesses is the same as a plain grass type so it's not that bad. Also having ghost will give it stab for Ghost moves! Give it Levitate and it'll have three resistances. Or maybe a new ability like fire absorb in which it absorbs Fire moves which would eliminate it's fire weakness!
I'd like to see how well its movepool comes out the fact Jack-o-lanterns have candles in them. Maybe it might get some Fire moves and Will-O-Wisp, which almost every Ghost seems to be able to learn. Levitate would be pretty cool to see on it, or even a Fire variant of Water/Volt Absorb that isn't Flash Fire. That would easily get rid of one of its most annoying weaknesses.
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Community Supporter

So many possibilities...I'm hoping it's true, I've been wanting a Grass/Ghost Pokémon since I played Platinum and had Gardenia tell me she's afraid of ghosts but wouldn't know what to do if there were a Grass/Ghost one xD.
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Livewire
League Champion

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
The only problem is that a Jack-'O-Lantern Pokemon could legitimately be any combination of Grass/Ghost/Fire. It would still be really cool either way. I hope it's real.

And I hope that the Ice/Fighting one will be a Yeti-ish Pokemon, moreso than Abomasnow was.
ORAS Release Staff Collab 2014
Old July 9th, 2013, 11:27 PM
MarinoKadame

When I think Jack-'O-Lantern Pokemon I just think Pumpkinmon in Digimon somehow.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old July 9th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

I think the Jack o' Lantern Pokemon would better fit as Grass/Ghost. I honestly want something more clever than a Jack o' Lantern for a unique Grass/Fire type.
Old July 10th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Austin1395
Dark-type Trainer

Nature: Serious
I hope these all turn out to be real, they sound fantastic! I'm still waiting on a Dark type reveal though!
Old July 10th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Community Supporter

I hadn't noticed there have been no officially revealed dark types yet (Yvetal's typing isn't confirmed yet.) Hopefully we'll get one...maybe an evolution of mightyena?

I was thinking the Ice/Fighting could be based off the ice giants of norse myth.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links