Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page The X/Y Rumors Thread!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Old July 18th, 2013 (10:17 AM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
Crosses fingers for the possibly Fenrir based wolf.
Old July 18th, 2013 (10:36 AM).
Silver Tier

Oh! Japanese names! I'm on it.

Quote:
Dianshii (ディアンシー) — Possibly a deer Pokémon. It’s name could come from deer + fancy + antsy. Another report states "sea deer".
This looks to be pretty spot on, though I personally think it's a bit of a stretch to assume "sea" from "shii". Not saying it can't happen, but that just looks like the end of "fancy" or whatever the name comes from. Although, the name does have "dian" in it, like Diana, goddess of the moon. And the moon controls the tides and has always had a symbolic relationship with the ocean.

Quote:
Hariboogu (ハリボーグ) — Most likely the evolution of Chespin — Hari (ハリ) comes from pin/needle, boogu (ボーグ) or bogue, is the name of the shell of a chestnut is French. Thanks to belmad for this tip-off! (another report says "needle" and "armour". )
I agree that this is most likely related to Chespin because of the 'hari' at the beginning.

Quote:
Gekogashira (ゲコガシラ) — Possibly from gecko + boss. Gashira means either head or boss. Possibly a Froakie evolution.
The "ge" makes me think it's Froakie's evolution, too, because of the onomotapoeia that frogs make: "gero gero". And "kashira" can also relate to intelligence. A dictionary search also gives me "koga" as "classical elegance; antiquity" or "ancient painting" (depending on the kanji) so slight possibility that this 'mon will have some kind of "classical" look such as robes or something.

Quote:
Borukenion (ボルケニオン) — Probably Volcanyon — likely boruke (ボルケ) from volcano and nion (ニオン) from canyon.
This seems spot on to me.

Quote:
Dedenne (デデンネ)
"Den" is the kanji for electricity. Or rice field. "Dedemushi" comes up in the dictionary as an old term for snail. I'm more convinced of an electric Pokemon here than a snail though.

Quote:
Horubii (ホルビー) — Likely comes from horu (ホル) to dig + bee.
"Rubii" is ruby. "Bi" by itself can come from the kanji for fire. It's been lengthened to "bii" in the name, but that could just be to make it cuter sounding. So not necessarily a bee.

Quote:
Nyaonikusu (ニャオニクス) — Probably Meowstick, as mentioned in a previous leak
Dunno what this previous leak is, but 'nyao' is 'meow'. I also see "oni" as in the mischivous demon/goblin creatures. "Kusu" is the sound of snickering or giggling. And although it's slightly different from the name here, "onikusu" is pretty similar to "onikisu" which means "onyx".

Quote:
Burigaron (ブリガロン) — Maybe a blizzard wolf: buri (ブリ) from blizzard (burizaado) + garo (ガロ / 牙狼) meaning fanged wolf. It could also come from garou (餓狼) meaning starving wolf.
Agree with this. Just gonna add that "garon" is also "gallon" but the "n" at the end it probably just to make it sound more like a cool name.

Quote:
Jigarude (ジガルデ) — Is possibly from Jiga (ジガ / 自我), which means ego.
"Garude" could come from "garde" which I believe is French for "guard". The "ji" at the beginning here could come from a word that starts with "j" but also "d" or "z" (Japanese doesn't have an easy way of making "di" or "zi" sounds). So it might come from a word that starts with "ziga" or "diga" or "zig" or "dig". Might be derived from "shiigaru" シーガル which is "seagull." "Ji" by itself means "self" and appears in a lot of words.

Quote:
Mafokushii (マフォクシー) — Is possibly an evolution of Fennekin: Mafoxy
Agreeing. There's also "マフ" mafu - muff. Like the kind that keeps you hands warm.

Quote:
Fuupa (フーパ) — fuu (フー) is most likely wind, pa (パ) could be many things.
"Fuu" does come from "wind" but it can also come from English words that start with "hoo" or "who" or "foo". So the name might be transliterated as "Hoopa" just as easily. "Pa" as a sound by itself it kind of a "tada!" or "voila!" onomotepoeia. But yeah, it could be anything without knowing the context.

Quote:
Gekkouga (ゲッコウガ) — Gekkou (ゲッコウ) means moonlight + ga (ガ) is moth. Literally moonlight moth.
"Ka" (which can become "ga" when combined into words) can come from "deer" or "mosquito". Or "fire" or "fruit". Moth isn't wrong, and it's probably the best guess, but we'll probably have to wait and see.

Quote:
Torimian (トリミアン)
"Tori" means "bird." But because of how Japanese works it could also be "tri" meaning three of something, or just being part of a word that starts with "tri" like "trim".

Quote:
Teerunaa (テールナー) — Possibly related to Gekkouga. Teeru (テール) means tail and runaa (ルナー) means lunar.
And "teru" means "shine" like in Helioptile's Japanese name. They could have just stretched the word out for this name, like they did for Inkay's Japanese name.
Old July 18th, 2013 (11:12 AM).
wut?
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
I saw these names on Pokejungle, and I'm most excited for the "Lunar Moth" Pokemon. The idea of it has me really interested and excited at the possibility that maybe we'll get some counterpart creature to Volcarona. I mean, Volcarona has associations with the Sun, and this newly speculated creature has both "Lunar" and "Moth" in its' name, so who knows? I'd be really excited and the possibility of Volcarona being part of a duo of some sorts.
Old July 18th, 2013 (06:51 PM).
happy
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
I saw those leaked names when I was browsing through Tumblr the other day, and I do have to admit some of them look really cool. Hoping that the starter evolutions are at least confirmed soon, because waiting until after release can change people's opinions quickly.

That "lunar moth" thing looks like it might be something worth seeing. No wonder if these names are indeed legit.
Old July 18th, 2013 (09:21 PM). Edited July 18th, 2013 by The Dark Avenger.
Vengeance is Vine

Nature: Adamant
"The official GameFreak website has posted a strange picture of a silhouette with a caption noting that "the well known game, played all around the world, is about to be reborn thanks to a surprising collaboration". Now, this may not be regarding Pokémon, but rather another franchise that GameFreak is now working with, so don't take this as Pokémon at this time, but we'll bring news as and when it comes" -Serebii

Hint: Tilt your computer screen and you get more definition of the silhouette.

Maybe a pony or mule?

BTW, would this the only silhouette reveal this generation?

It might be a non-pokemon.

Link to newly launched GF website:
http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/g2013/index.html

Reverse contrast image:
Spoiler:

Thanks Austin

Artwork by Fairy+
Old July 18th, 2013 (09:34 PM).
Fictional Writer.

Quote originally posted by Fenneking:
"The official GameFreak website has posted a strange picture of a silhouette with a caption noting that "the well known game, played all around the world, is about to be reborn thanks to a surprising collaboration". Now, this may not be regarding Pokémon, but rather another franchise that GameFreak is now working with, so don't take this as Pokémon at this time, but we'll bring news as and when it comes" -Serebii

Maybe a pony or mule?

I do not think it is pokemon based (by the color of the picture), but if it is was. I am going to say it looks like a small cow so a Tarous/Miltank pre evo. This would tip of the idea of the caption. And no, Sylveon was a silhouette for a little.

As for the possible name, I really like the idea of the blizzard wolf.
Old July 18th, 2013 (09:49 PM).
Dark-type Trainer

Nature: Serious

Maybe a pony or mule?

Link to newly launched GF website:
http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/g2013/index.html
If you go on Pokejungle they have a better version of the photo.
Old July 18th, 2013 (10:03 PM).
Vengeance is Vine

With the new image, it looks like a donkey/pony. EPONA

Hmm, why this pokemon for the collaboration reveal? Hmm.

Artwork by Fairy+
Old July 18th, 2013 (10:33 PM).
Spheal Hacking Administrator

Collaberation could hint at another fusion or perhaps 2 different Pokemon families giving birth to a third, or something? Reborn could mean new evolution methods, or like I said 2 known Pokemon giving birth to a 3rd species.

It looks like a baby cow so maybe a Tauros/Miltank hybrid baby.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old July 18th, 2013 (10:43 PM).
Dark-type Trainer

Nature: Serious
I'm more curious who GF is collaborating with. I can't think of anything.
Old July 18th, 2013 (10:46 PM). Edited July 18th, 2013 by IcyIce.
Fictional Writer.

Quote originally posted by Keiran777:
Collaberation could hint at another fusion or perhaps 2 different Pokemon families giving birth to a third, or something? Reborn could mean new evolution methods, or like I said 2 known Pokemon giving birth to a 3rd species.

It looks like a baby cow so maybe a Tauros/Miltank hybrid baby.
This is what I am thinking. Miltanks are only female while Tauros are only male. So it would make since for them to make a baby that can evolve into one or the other depending on its gender.

But again, pokemon really isn't being "reborn" in this generation. I think it is a new game, but i don't know what. Now that I look at it, it does look like a horse more than a cow.

It almost reminds me of what something looked like in Harvest Moon. And it was well known and very popular and there hasn't been a new game in a while.
Old July 19th, 2013 (03:22 AM).
~~King Of Plegia~~

A pokemon x harvest moon for the 3ds would be nice.
We would have a farm with Pokemon ,feed them etc.
A new spin off series.
Still why are they showing that ?horse?
When i first read the ''well known game'' i thought Pokemon but when i read that serebii said that it may not be linked with Pokemon my mind went to YU-Gi-Oh which i doubt needs any ''reincarnation''

White 2:4814-8483-7594
3DS:4871 4138 8216
Friend Safari:Bug with Combee,Illumise and Heracross!
Old July 19th, 2013 (03:40 AM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
The image reminds me of a Grunty. Oh god, please let Gamefreak ger their hands on .hack!
Old July 19th, 2013 (03:46 AM).
~~King Of Plegia~~

Quote originally posted by XanderO:
The image reminds me of a Grunty. Oh god, please let Gamefreak ger their hands on .hack!
I dont think that .hack is a really well known series.

Old July 19th, 2013 (05:42 AM).
Vengeance is Vine

Update on the names that were revealed on pokebeach from my earlier post.

There is some expectation that these might be the September CoroCoro reveals, of which 14 is a large number.

Also, the translation/interpretation of some of the japanese names has been updated as the following:

Spoiler:
Chespin

Two names stood out to us as possible Chespin evolutions, however we only updated with the name origins of one. That was Hariboogu. Today we’ve looked back and it seems we were right in thinking there were two names that could relate to Chespin.

ハリボーグ/Hariboogu — This stays mostly the same as what we had: hari (ハリ) means pin/needle, but boogu could be a combination of 防具 (bougu) meaning armour, and the French word bogue (the shell of a chestnut). Strongly suggesting that Chespin could develop some sort of natural armour (something backed up by the next point).

ブリガロン/Burigaron — Here is the biggest deviation from what we originally had. Initially we believed it could have been some sort of ice wolf, we may have been completely wrong… Brigandine is a type of armour from the middle ages, this acts as the most likely origin of buriga (ブリガ). Ron is assumably from marron (meaning chestnut in French). These combination of words fit the potential theme set by Hariboogu. Chespin may evolve into a sort-of knight.

Fennekin

We believe what we initially reported as a Fennekin evolution to be correct, and we’ve now found a name that could fit the bill to fill the second slot.

マフォクシー/Mafokushii — Fokushii here still remains as foxy, ma is from 魔, meaning magic or demon, although in this case more likely magic. This fits with the heavily rumoured Fire/Psychic typing for Fennekin and could mean the Pokémon becomes a sorcerer of sorts.

テールナー/Teerunaa — Tailunar (Teeruna) remains the same. We however believe it could be an evolution of Fennekin. Foxes are often emphasised for their tails, something the huli jing (see below) is known for. We’re uncertain whether this could be Fennekins final or first evolution.

Froakie

We believed that we could have been shown the names for one of Froakies evolutions, however looking back again it’s entirely possible that we actually got names for both of its evolutions.

ゲッコウガ/Gekkouga — To begin with we believed that Gekkouga could have been a moonlight moth, from gekkou (moonlight) and ga (moth), this could still be the case (see the other theory below). However, it’s possible that gek comes again from gekogeko (ゲコゲコ) and kouga from Kōga-ryū the name of a school of ninjutsu.

ゲコガシラ/Gekogashira — In Japan kerokero is a common onomatopoeic term for the noise a frog makes. There is, however more than one—of which one is gekogeko (ゲコゲコ). Gashira literally means head, in the sense that someone is head of something or, the boss.

These possible name origins would suggest that Froakie will become some sort of ninja-frog, with a typing that could very well be Water/Fighting.

The Unova starters were all based around Japanese, European and Chinese myths, as such it’s possible to interpret Froakie as a ninja (Japanese origin), Chespin as a knight (European origin), and Fennekin as a huli jing from China.

Further Speculation
We also decided to revisit some of the other names in even more depth, and we’ve uncovered some more interesting possibilities…

Horubii & Jigarude

ホルビー/Horubii and ジガルデ/Jigarude could be connected through evolution. We still believe that Horubii to be some sort of digging bee, and the new idea for Jigarude backs that up. In Japan there’s a wasp know as a jigabachi: the red-banded sand wasp. The red-banded sand and the digger wasp (which we believe Horubii is based-off) are also part of the same family.

Nyaonikusu

ニャオニクス/Nyaonikusu — nyao is the sound a cat makes in Japanese, nikusu may come from sphinx. There isn’t a huge amount to say here.

I hope this doesn't disappoint the raving blizzard wolf fans

Artwork by Fairy+
Old July 19th, 2013 (06:50 AM).
ffet

Nature: Relaxed
The silhouette reminds me of this:

Horstachio from Viva Piñata
Old July 19th, 2013 (08:22 AM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Silver Tier

Serebii updated and says the URL says "URL includes the term Soritiba ソリティ馬, which was a trademark registered last year by Gamefreak " I wonder if it'll be the Conquestesk game of the generation aka ? x Pokémon.

Either that or that's the Pokémon's name as Pokémon does trademark Pokémon names along with those of the games.
Old July 19th, 2013 (11:02 AM).

If chespin becomes a knight, I hope fot Grass/Steel, Grass/Rock, or Grass/Fighting. If Fennekin is going the magical route, I hope its Fire/Fairy as that is way more fitting than Psychic. Froakie, if Ninja, hope its Dark type. Only ninja like pokemon have been Dark or Bug/Flying. Only Ninjas from the series used Poison or Dark or Bug types.
Old July 19th, 2013 (11:03 AM).
Silver Tier

Update on the names that were revealed on pokebeach from my earlier post.

There is some expectation that these might be the September CoroCoro reveals, of which 14 is a large number.

Also, the translation/interpretation of some of the japanese names has been updated as the following:

Spoiler:
Chespin

Two names stood out to us as possible Chespin evolutions, however we only updated with the name origins of one. That was Hariboogu. Today we’ve looked back and it seems we were right in thinking there were two names that could relate to Chespin.

ハリボーグ/Hariboogu — This stays mostly the same as what we had: hari (ハリ) means pin/needle, but boogu could be a combination of 防具 (bougu) meaning armour, and the French word bogue (the shell of a chestnut). Strongly suggesting that Chespin could develop some sort of natural armour (something backed up by the next point).

ブリガロン/Burigaron — Here is the biggest deviation from what we originally had. Initially we believed it could have been some sort of ice wolf, we may have been completely wrong… Brigandine is a type of armour from the middle ages, this acts as the most likely origin of buriga (ブリガ). Ron is assumably from marron (meaning chestnut in French). These combination of words fit the potential theme set by Hariboogu. Chespin may evolve into a sort-of knight.

Fennekin

We believe what we initially reported as a Fennekin evolution to be correct, and we’ve now found a name that could fit the bill to fill the second slot.

マフォクシー/Mafokushii — Fokushii here still remains as foxy, ma is from 魔, meaning magic or demon, although in this case more likely magic. This fits with the heavily rumoured Fire/Psychic typing for Fennekin and could mean the Pokémon becomes a sorcerer of sorts.

テールナー/Teerunaa — Tailunar (Teeruna) remains the same. We however believe it could be an evolution of Fennekin. Foxes are often emphasised for their tails, something the huli jing (see below) is known for. We’re uncertain whether this could be Fennekins final or first evolution.

Froakie

We believed that we could have been shown the names for one of Froakies evolutions, however looking back again it’s entirely possible that we actually got names for both of its evolutions.

ゲッコウガ/Gekkouga — To begin with we believed that Gekkouga could have been a moonlight moth, from gekkou (moonlight) and ga (moth), this could still be the case (see the other theory below). However, it’s possible that gek comes again from gekogeko (ゲコゲコ) and kouga from Kōga-ryū the name of a school of ninjutsu.

ゲコガシラ/Gekogashira — In Japan kerokero is a common onomatopoeic term for the noise a frog makes. There is, however more than one—of which one is gekogeko (ゲコゲコ). Gashira literally means head, in the sense that someone is head of something or, the boss.

These possible name origins would suggest that Froakie will become some sort of ninja-frog, with a typing that could very well be Water/Fighting.

The Unova starters were all based around Japanese, European and Chinese myths, as such it’s possible to interpret Froakie as a ninja (Japanese origin), Chespin as a knight (European origin), and Fennekin as a huli jing from China.

Further Speculation
We also decided to revisit some of the other names in even more depth, and we’ve uncovered some more interesting possibilities…

Horubii & Jigarude

ホルビー/Horubii and ジガルデ/Jigarude could be connected through evolution. We still believe that Horubii to be some sort of digging bee, and the new idea for Jigarude backs that up. In Japan there’s a wasp know as a jigabachi: the red-banded sand wasp. The red-banded sand and the digger wasp (which we believe Horubii is based-off) are also part of the same family.

Nyaonikusu

ニャオニクス/Nyaonikusu — nyao is the sound a cat makes in Japanese, nikusu may come from sphinx. There isn’t a huge amount to say here.

I hope this doesn't disappoint the raving blizzard wolf fans :(
When you put the names in that order it's easier to see how those seem a lot more like starter evolutions since they share some of the same sounds and patterns. If we accept that this batch of names does in fact include the 6 evolutions of the starters then the ones presented here seem to fit closest, though given the name Tailunar or whatever by itself would never jump out at me as a fox just because foxes have tails. Personally, I'm not completely sold on the interpretations of the ninja/knight/huli jing. I think that's what people want so they're seeing evidence that fits it.
Old July 19th, 2013 (11:20 AM).
~~King Of Plegia~~

Nyaonikusu

Nikusu might come from nyx which means night in latin.If you say Nikusu quickly it sounds like nyx.
Nyanikusu might be a dark type cat pokemon.
An evolution for persian or for liepard?

Old July 19th, 2013 (11:20 AM).
Super ModeratorBSCS

Going by that sorcerer/spirit/magic motif for Fennekin's evolutions... any chance we'll get some Fairy in there? :3

guy can dream right
Old July 19th, 2013 (12:02 PM).

Quote originally posted by JayTheKing:
I dont think that .hack is a really well known series.
4 separate anime series, two mini movies that were placed along side of the games, about four or five Manga, and three sets of games, not to mention a massive MMO that has said to be in the works for a few years now kinda says it was a fairly well known game.

Sword Art Online was a lot like the .hack series, even if it was better. Personally I'd call SAO a better selling spin on .hack.

Four of my friends sent me an IM while I was at work saying "Look its a grunty!" XD
Old July 19th, 2013 (12:15 PM).
~~King Of Plegia~~

Quote originally posted by XanderO:
4 separate anime series, two mini movies that were placed along side of the games, about four or five Manga, and three sets of games, not to mention a massive MMO that has said to be in the works for a few years now kinda says it was a fairly well known game.

Sword Art Online was a lot like the .hack series, even if it was better. Personally I'd call SAO a better selling spin on .hack.

Four of my friends sent me an IM while I was at work saying "Look its a grunty!" XD
We can exclude the series , the movie and the manga since it says ''played''.
AFAIK only PS2 games were released outside of Japan.The psp ones remain untranslated.If it was that popular we would have seen more games.
And that shillouette doesnt look like a grunty because it has those 2 ears.
On top of that it wouldnt make sense to cross those 2 games.I dont think it would look nice to slay Pokemon.

Old July 19th, 2013 (12:54 PM).
I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.

Nature: Bashful
Spoiler:

Froakie

Being honest, I didn't think of a ninja-frog when you mentioned Gekogashira being "the head of something". I thought of a Mafia type Godfather guy frog. That would be cool. Nonetheless I want a water-dark type.

Has anyone speculated as to what Oorotto's typing might be? I'm thinking Dark/Grass perhaps?

Old July 19th, 2013 (01:25 PM).
Fictional Writer.

Quote originally posted by CliCliW:
Being honest, I didn't think of a ninja-frog when you mentioned Gekogashira being "the head of something". I thought of a Mafia type Godfather guy frog. That would be cool. Nonetheless I want a water-dark type.

Has anyone speculated as to what Oorotto's typing might be? I'm thinking Dark/Grass perhaps?

Spoiler:

We have speculated on it a lot. There is 4 possibilities that most have said. It really depends on what type of concept they are working with honestly. They made the other trees rock type. Some have also suggested Fairy/Dark or Fairy/Ghost.

Grass/Dark (Being one of the main ones.)
Grass/Ghost (Being another main one.)
Rock/Ghost
Rock/Dark
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)