The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 24th, 2013, 03:21 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
He's not wrong. Anime has less frames in the animation and that is a big part of it. Also, I want you to name me an anime that is above 20 frames per second, because I have seen none. (Neither on TV nor online) Nothing is fluid if it's under 20fps, and that alone is reason enough to consider animations in cartoons better. Frame rate is a big deal for some. It's also a big reason why I personally prefer manga.
Precisely. I like manga better too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derozio View Post
1) That's all well and good but you still haven't presented any piece of concrete evidence from a reliable source with regards to the average fps of cartoons vs anime. I can't take your or triforce's word for it unless you guys work in the animation industry....which I doubt. I personally never heard anything about there being more fps in western series when compared to their eastern counterparts before now, actually.
I do not work in the animation industry though, although that was my dream job back in high school. I've just been a life-long Disney nerd which leads to also reading about animation in general from time to time. I know some people here work in the industry though, and I'm really good irl friends with one of them so hopefully someone will chime in either way.

Anime generally does not have western budgets, unfortunately, and as a cost-saving measure the shows are made to be more efficient by drawing less. Less frames. Less fluid animation. They're not terrible, but not the best either.
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:37 AM
matt0044

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ullDestruction This tends to show the differing mindsets between a lot of cartoons and Anime. Not in general though but it's worth noting, especially with dubs by 4kids.
Pokemon: The Black & White Adventure: 14 year old Hilda is a Pokemon Trainer with a secret: she can talk to Pokemon. After setting off into Unova with her starter, she gets involved in the affairs of Team Plasma and becomes acquainted with N, a mysterious guy her age with the exact same abilities as her. While enjoying her life, a tangled web of mystery is weaved around her and the reveal may shock her beyond belief.

Join the adventure by clicking the link above. Read & Review.
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Tetrakeet
Lilligant's Caretaker

Nature: Careful
I've enjoyed BOTH cartoons and anime in my lifetime. Classic anime like Death Note, Bleach, and Full Metal Alchemist were just as entertaining for me as classic cartoons like Samurai Jack, Symbiotic Titan, or Ben 10 Omniverse.

How about the combined awesomness of cartoons AND anime? Teen Titans and Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra were both amazing in my opinion.

Short answer: I like both.

Old May 31st, 2013, 07:40 AM
matt0044

Batman TAS, Cybersix and other cartoons were actually animated in Japan. The animation for them seemed to be better in terms of fluidity compared to Anime made then. Not that no Anime ever had good animation then but there was a quite a difference to be seen.
Pokemon: The Black & White Adventure: 14 year old Hilda is a Pokemon Trainer with a secret: she can talk to Pokemon. After setting off into Unova with her starter, she gets involved in the affairs of Team Plasma and becomes acquainted with N, a mysterious guy her age with the exact same abilities as her. While enjoying her life, a tangled web of mystery is weaved around her and the reveal may shock her beyond belief.

Join the adventure by clicking the link above. Read & Review.
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:03 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
Batman TAS, Cybersix and other cartoons were actually animated in Japan. The animation for them seemed to be better in terms of fluidity compared to Anime made then. Not that no Anime ever had good animation then but there was a quite a difference to be seen.
That's true.

Didn't consider outsourcing. Early Simpsons did it too (but not Japan. Taiwan I think?) But wouldn't expect them to look animeish when they aren't anime
Old June 5th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Patrick
Winter Love
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
Western cartoons do have a higher frame rate than most eastern cartoons. That's not an opinion.

It's also a false statement to say that anime has objectively better animation, because animation itself defines a filmed (well, not anymore) sequence of images that creates an illusion of movement. It has nothing to do with the art direction, the drawings, the staging, the writing, or anything in post-production. All that stuff can enhance an animation, but unless the values at that point are haphazard, anything beyond literal animation itself is up to preference.

Technically, you can have a 12fps animation and it would be fine if it kept moving non stop. The human eye, however, may still pick up on some jerkiness, though. To some people, jerkiness is unacceptable. I, however, like limited animation. Or at least the stuff from like the 50's and 60's.

As an animator, or at least an old one, I don't like it when people throw around terms that they don't fully understand. :[ Not to say I have the best knowledge of things, either, I never had a chance to learn how they do things in the major studios like Disney, but with the way they've been behaving these days...

As for the topic itself, I don't really care either way, but I do skew towards high end western animation because it's always wonderful to see them animation principles in full effect. Beautiful stuff. I still give anime the edge for scenary, though, even in their made for TV stuff. I personally prefer to make my own animations with a lot of frames, though I think that's perfectionism at work (which I don't really like, TBH).

Now, if someone started a topic about puppet animation vs. frame by frame, then I'd start ranting. :P

PS: Lest we forget, anime was inspired by western animation first. Let's not forget my boy Osamu Tezuka. Further, you'd be surprised how many American (print) illustrators in the early 1900s, like 1910-30s drew things that have many of the exact same illustrative tropes as anime.

So much behind cartooning is older than you think.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links