The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

View Poll Results: Lunatone or Solrock?
19 59.38%
13 40.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:32 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

Nature: Timid
No, this isn't a thread about the lack of night and day. This is, however, a poll between the Pokemon Lunatone and Solrock! These two Psychic/Rock types are one of the pairs of version exclusives between the first games in the 3rd generation, Lunatone being in Sapphire and Solrock being in Ruby. So which did you prefer battle wise? And what about looks? All that and more. Discuss~

Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:20 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
I mainly played with Sapphire as my main version, so for the longest time I only got to use Lunatone. That being said, Lunatone did have the better Special Attack, and because the way Physical/Special Attacks were classified prior to the fourth gen, Lunatone was better at utilizing it's movepool than Solrock was (when I finally did use Solrock on Emerald, I was a little disappointed). So with that being said, Lunatone is my favorite of the two.

Side note- I've always loved that Lunatone has a 5% chance of holding a Moon Stone in the wild, whereas Solrock has a 5% chance of holding a Sun Stone.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:45 PM
Hikamaru
it's too cold for you here
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Since Ruby was my main version, I voted Solrock. I do actually like both's designs though but I leaned towards Solrock since I never got to use a Lunatone until Black and White.

Paired with AWsquared, Isaac and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

i'll be gone for a while, here's why

Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:37 PM
Powerserge
The Imminent Victor

Nature: Relaxed
I'm more aligned with the Moon, so I love Lunatone a lot more than I like Solrock. Solrock looks sloppy anyway.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:59 PM
Autumn Reverie
wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

Nature: Modest
I've never used both of these floating rocky Pokemon before as I don't like using Pokemon that can't evolve. However, I vote for Lunatone as, unlike Solrock, has higher Special Attack and Lunatone's moveset which contains mostly Special attacks such as Psychic can be used much more efficiently. Like I said before, I have never used it in battle before so I can't rate it much. Oh, and design-wise, I like both of them equally the same.

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family
Old May 22nd, 2013, 11:03 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

Nature: Timid
Time to answer my own topic! While I like both Pokemon, I've had better experience in using Lunatone, and I think it's design is a bit better. But I'm also a night person, so maybe that has to do with it. I do like that Solrock is a bit of a pseudo-Fire type though, and I think it's fun to use!

One thing I've always liked about the two is that the moon is related to water, and Lunatone is in Sapphire with Team Aqua as the bad guys. And the sun is, of course, related to fire and Solrock is in Ruby where Team Magma are the bad guys. Pretty neat touch when you think about it. Plus they did that without outright making their types Water/Rock and Fire/Rock, or something. One complaint I do have about Lunatone though is that it should be able to learn some sort of Water move. Other Rock types can have Surf, so the "but using something it's weak to" argument won't work lol. But like I said, the moon is related to water, and Solrock can use Fire moves. I thought it'd only be fair. But oh well.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:03 AM
Dude492
Hoenn Champion

Nature: Adamant
I prefer Solrock for it's look honestly
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:32 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
As my Hoeen game was Sapphire I will choose Lunatone. I think solrock has a over the top design
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:57 AM
Dangelitus

Nature: Modest
I like more the design and the name SOLROCK its more cool.

I'm not use much this pokemons, however, when I must face them, solrock usually give me more problems than lunatone, so, i guess its better in power solrock, thats the reason of my vote for that pokemon.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:07 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Since I only had Emerald, I've only ever owned Solrock. And it's awful, truly...awful. Lunatone's design is better as well, so I'll always vote Lunatone. And never catch one (don't meet your heroes, right?)
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
Solrock is definitely cooler.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:56 PM
Nuke

They're both awful designs and terrible for use in battle as well. I don't mind the concepts of them, but they weren't executed as I'd like.

I suppose Solrock is my preference just because I had Ruby so I'm a bit more accepting of its design having seen it more often.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:16 PM
lmcde22

Sapphire was my first game so i would feel bad if I didn't say Lunatone is my favourite. Damn though i hated them both while i was battling Liza and Tate
Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:56 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Nature: Mild
I slightly prefer Lunatone over Solrock because it has a cool shiny form. Blue eyes! <3

Both are interesting, but are lackluster in battle. I agree that Lunatone should have had some Water-type moves in its movepool. What was its attacks beyond Psychic and Rock Slide, hmm... I never really battled with them; I caught them and boxed them in Ruby/Sapphire. The only time I ever really used them was in XD.
Old May 25th, 2013, 10:55 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Both have a special place in my heart, but I voted for Lunatone. I've always liked Lunatone's appearance a little more than Solrock, and I also liked how it could use Ice Beam. I think I would have liked Solrock a lot more if it had better special attack so it could use Psychic and Flamethrower better.
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Marisa
ten desires
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Marisa
I like Lunatone better, since it seems to have a better special movepool than Solrock, and it caters to its special stat.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 08:06 AM
JustChillin810
xX_ElectricPikachu_Xx

Nature: Brave
I really didn't prefer either when it comes to battling because both of them have relatively low stats and there where much better psychic types in the game to use (such as Gardevoir and Metagross)

Pikachu is boss!
Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:15 PM
TreeKangaroo
Destroy gligar13vids!

Nature: Naughty
To be honest I really don't know I like them both, because solrock reminds me of Okami but I'll have to say Lunatone, I used one and it's not terrible or great. I used one before and it was decent, it helped me beat Flannery. But
Lunatone has creepy eyes that scare crap out of me.
Once you get waterfall its really high leveled and decently fast(I only went to that room for bagon)
Tate and Liza were annoying
Now for solrock:
I hate fire spin, let me escape damn it!
Let me listen to the lovely meteor falls music please.
How do you survive in water, you're part rock type
You also won't let me leave(and repels had no effect on you)
On the bright side, THEY BOTH HAVE EPIC CRIES OH MY GOD.
Old June 29th, 2013, 12:36 AM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
Solrock among the two but I never liked both of them on the first place
Old June 29th, 2013, 01:36 AM
WishCookie
ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!

Nature: Jolly
Solrock! It was simply a real pain while battling the twins and it looks awesome! I like Lunatone's cry better tho.

Diamond: 3782 4821 8857
HeartGold: 3740 9024 2026
Black: 3181 8256 6904
Black 2: 4599 8904 2318

Y: 1993 8202 9620
Old June 29th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

I've never used any of those in battle before, but Lunatone because of it's nose XD looks like a duck. I have to say, Solrock looks pretty cool in HG/SS, cuz you just have this sun thing bobbing up and down behind you.
Old June 29th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Nomine
サトセレ

Nature: Calm
Lunatone! Definitely. I was always jealous of my cousin because he could get Lunatone and I couldn't. I knew I should've gotten Sapphire first!

My Role-Playing Twitter Accounts follow!
Writer
Brock
Calem
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links