The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.


Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old May 28th, 2013, 09:00 AM
MIAU's Avatar
MIAU
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Camphrier Town
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
I guess I didn't explain it thoroughly, you wouldn't have to wait 5 seconds for Charizard to make a move, and a battle wouldn't last any longer that it already does, the battle time would automatically skip to the next moment when a move is supposed to happen. Example: say Charizard makes a move every 5 seconds, so if the battle starts at moment 0, then Charizard would move at moment 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30. Onix takes 8 seconds to make a move, so his turns would be at moment 8, 16, 24, 32 etc. The timeline would look something like this: 5 8 10 15 16 20 24 25 30 32, in red being Charizard's turns. Meaning that the first turn would be Charizard's, then Onix's, then Charizard would take two turns, followed by only one move from Onix, and so on. Again, you won't need to actually spend 32 seconds on this battle, or a few seconds between moves, turns would still happen automatically, but according to a timeline based on the Speed stat.

Anyway, this was only to further explain myself, I realize that changing the battle system at this point would screw up the balance that we have at the moment, that's not what I'm asking for and that's not the purpose of this thread. The whole idea of this came from my Ninjask in Emerald; he wasn't able to 1HKO most opponents, and was pretty frail and took quite some damage. His super speed didn't make any difference, he even had Speed Boost, which was useless anyway since he was already able to outspeed anything. So it always seemed funny to me how he'd still take turns with his opponent. Quite the gentle-mon, hehe, my Ninjask.
Reply With Quote
  #27    
Old May 29th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Grif of Hearts's Avatar
Grif of Hearts
Que sera sera~
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: System 32
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAU View Post
I guess I didn't explain it thoroughly, you wouldn't have to wait 5 seconds for Charizard to make a move, and a battle wouldn't last any longer that it already does, the battle time would automatically skip to the next moment when a move is supposed to happen. Example: say Charizard makes a move every 5 seconds, so if the battle starts at moment 0, then Charizard would move at moment 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30. Onix takes 8 seconds to make a move, so his turns would be at moment 8, 16, 24, 32 etc. The timeline would look something like this: 5 8 10 15 16 20 24 25 30 32, in red being Charizard's turns. Meaning that the first turn would be Charizard's, then Onix's, then Charizard would take two turns, followed by only one move from Onix, and so on. Again, you won't need to actually spend 32 seconds on this battle, or a few seconds between moves, turns would still happen automatically, but according to a timeline based on the Speed stat.

Anyway, this was only to further explain myself, I realize that changing the battle system at this point would screw up the balance that we have at the moment, that's not what I'm asking for and that's not the purpose of this thread. The whole idea of this came from my Ninjask in Emerald; he wasn't able to 1HKO most opponents, and was pretty frail and took quite some damage. His super speed didn't make any difference, he even had Speed Boost, which was useless anyway since he was already able to outspeed anything. So it always seemed funny to me how he'd still take turns with his opponent. Quite the gentle-mon, hehe, my Ninjask.
It reminds me somewhat of the combat system used in Chrono Trigger. It's likely used in other video games, but it's the only example that comes to mind. It was a turn based game, and each character and enemy had a set amount of time before they could attack. Some enemies were slow, lumbering beasts that could be hit by your allies three or four times each before they could respond, but others were so agile that they would be able to lash out twice as fast as you could... it was even worse when they attacked in groups.

As you said it seems like too extreme a change to the battle system, and I would rather the game remain the way it is in that respect, but I could definitely see this kind of mechanic employed in one of the spin off games.
Reply With Quote
  #28    
Old May 29th, 2013, 06:56 AM
.:batto:.'s Avatar
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Australia
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
the one thing that ENRAGES me is that you can't re-nickname traded pokemon. there is nothing more annoying than a pokemon's name that is in japanese. i mean, i can't read it. and it bugs me to the point where if i get a pokemon from the GTS and it evolves. and it name doesnt return to english. i have to either put it in my trade box, or release it. if theres anything i could change. it would be the the ability to change traded pokemons nicknames.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29    
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Jak's Avatar
Jak
eye of the needle
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
Quote:
and it bugs me to the point where if i get a pokemon from the GTS and it evolves. and it name doesnt return to english.
As someone that uses both Japanese and English games, I can assure you the name does return to English after evolution, unless it was actually nicknamed in Japanese. But if they kept the Pokemon's name as just the species name, it should return to English when you get it through GTS and then evolve it.

Best way to prevent bad GTS trades though is to use the Trade Corner here on PC, haha. Then you'd have no more worries about that annoying mess.
__________________
Kill me like an animal.
paired to klippy and elheroeoscuro
Reply With Quote
  #30    
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Paulthagerous's Avatar
Paulthagerous
Master of the Dragonites
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Olivine City
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Not being able to trade items between games without trading Pokemon over. The speed at which trades take place. Not being able to trade straight from your box. Not being able to evolve a Pokemon by stone in the trading room.
__________________
Y Shiny Card:


Gen 4 Shiny Card:
Spoiler:


Friend Code: 0877 1355 2214
Friend Safari: Grass and contains Gogoat, Ivysaur, and Tangela.

Feel free to add me, please send PM with your FC so I can add you back
Reply With Quote
  #31    
Old May 29th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Panic Station
Age: 19
Yeah, I do kinda find it irritating the speed of trading, particularly if I'm trading back and forth a lot (like when I start over all my games except one Gen IV which gets all my events traded to it).
I would have to have a difference of opinion with whoever it was complaining about Japanese-named pokémon, I like it - it's nice to not know if its nicknamed or not until it evolves. And unlike with English-language pokémon, if it is nicknamed I can assume its a cool nickname and not an awful one like (insert curse here).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32    
Old May 31st, 2013, 03:03 AM
Da_Man32's Avatar
Da_Man32
Togepi
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I disagree with the fact that the game tells you about some abilities or items when the Pokemon comes into the battle; such as, "X has Mold Breaker" or "Y is floating into the air with its Air Balloon". I never understood the logic of that. It's unfair to the Pokemon IMO.

IVs I think don't make Pokemon individuals, they just make them better or worse, but I'll leave it at that.
Reply With Quote
  #33    
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:15 AM
Jak's Avatar
Jak
eye of the needle
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
Speaking of trading, I hate than in gen V, they pretty much trick us into thinking that we're allowed to trade three Pokemon all at once. I think it's silly that you can put up three Pokemon for trade and then choose one from the three. It makes sense for say, GTS, but not when you're wifi trading and you likely already know what you're going to trade and get back in return. It makes things go so much slower too, especially with all the confirming you have to do. So even with the addition of trading straight from your PC box, it can still get tedious and annoying because of the fact you're able to choose three Pokemon.

Either let us trade three at once, or just take out that "select three" option entirely. That's what I think.
__________________
Kill me like an animal.
paired to klippy and elheroeoscuro
Reply With Quote
  #34    
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:36 PM
Hikamaru's Avatar
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Speaking of trading, I hate than in gen V, they pretty much trick us into thinking that we're allowed to trade three Pokemon all at once. I think it's silly that you can put up three Pokemon for trade and then choose one from the three. It makes sense for say, GTS, but not when you're wifi trading and you likely already know what you're going to trade and get back in return. It makes things go so much slower too, especially with all the confirming you have to do. So even with the addition of trading straight from your PC box, it can still get tedious and annoying because of the fact you're able to choose three Pokemon.

Either let us trade three at once, or just take out that "select three" option entirely. That's what I think.
^ This. I finally though 5th Generation made a revolution in trading but yeah I did feel disappointed upon learning that when I was trading with my Black and White games. Also, trading is so slooooooow!
__________________


Paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

i'll be gone for a while, here's why

Reply With Quote
  #35    
Old June 5th, 2013, 12:25 PM
PiemanFiddy's Avatar
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida
Age: 22
Gender: Male
The fact that Flying types nor Bug types are weak to Water.
It's simple really. The gimmick of a flying type is that it can... fly. What does water do to birds, I wonder? Hm...

Bugs don't really like water either.. unless you think I'm referring to insects.
__________________
"The entire world will be infected. A new Genesis is at hand and I will be the creator!"
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 09:20 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.