The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation

Notices

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 17th, 2013, 06:07 AM
drr26

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
I caught him everytime I played through them. He's always gone into my elite 4 battles with THRASH ;-)
Old July 31st, 2013, 02:16 PM
ShinyXander

Nature: Modest
I used to love this guy. When I was little, he seemed like the coolest thing ever. I didn't even know that other Pokemon could also be a different color! I would save before attempting to capture it, and typically used him on my team. Looking back, he ended up being the only HM slave I really used in battle. In the remakes, he is much less exciting, and I don't always bother getting him.

Check me out on my new Twitter and YouTube!
Old July 31st, 2013, 05:43 PM
BlueMudkipz
Blu

Nature: Rash
It was my first shiny. It was amazing catching and having it, i loved how diffrent it was haha. ~blu

~Robert Louis Stevenson
Old July 31st, 2013, 09:52 PM
pokemanmdj
Random Passerby

I'd always include him. And later on, I'd always elegantly call him Slifer the Sky Dragon.
Yeah, I know it doesn't really work, but he was red and a "dragon." Go with it.

He'd always be a big help in all of my matches. And even when I accidentally had only Water types on my team for Crystal, (Except for Lugia >.> ) he was there.
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:39 AM
AmourPearlShipper
Caution: Drunken people crossing

I don't really use it since it's not very good in GSC. I guess it's useful though since it introduces people to shiny Pokemon and makes for an okay HM slave.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 01:59 AM
Darkrai666
ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai

Nature: Lax
Its a red gyrados I just cant let that slip I was Playing in VBA and slotsaved till I caught it

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 01:08 PM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Gyarados is not as menacing as it was supposed to be in Gen II because the physical/special split was based on type not the move, and Gyarados had a low Sp. Atk, so naturally its water type moves weren't going to be as strong as I imagined the first time I tried to use him. Red Gyarados just ended up being a glorified HM Slave. Plus, Gyarados being a guaranteed shiny just undervalued its shininess.
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:36 PM
BourbonWhiskey
Pokemon Stained Memories

Nature: Calm
I caught him not for the sake of using him but for breeding.

FOR TRADE:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mc&usp=sharing

3DS Friend Code: 5215-0717-7839
3655 3173 6505 - Pokemon White 2 Friend Code MAIN GAME
2323 8675 3566 - Pokemon Black 2 Friend Code[/sig-reason]
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:41 PM
unmaestropokemon

the cause of the contamination of Team Rocket
Old August 14th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Ruben967
Lights they blind me

I thought I was super lucky because it was shiny, so I captured and used him until the final battle.
Years later I find out it is always shiny, but didn't regret it at all.
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:28 AM
the apex predator.

I think I missed him on my first play and went back and restarted the game because I didn't think there was a way to catch him if you didn't the first time. (And there wasn't, naturally.) He was really cool at first but he's sort of lost his novelty to me after being a Pokemon fan for so long. I used him so many times that if I were to start another save file on G/S/C, I'd probably just defeat him if he was too much trouble for me and just make sure to collect the Dragon Scale to trade for the Exp. Share.

I did like the way shinies looked in G/S/C, though, I have to say it's my favorite of the shiny entrances (the sparkles before a battle). Gyarados is a pretty great Pokemon but by now he's lost his ~*shiny novelty*~ to me, haha. I was obsessed with him when I was younger, though.
Old August 24th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Adventure
original dex holder

Nature: Naive
I didn't use it, I think, because there were a lot other water types I liked better than Gyarados at the time. Plus, I was annoyed that it was red when I wanted my water types to be blue! Haha, I was a bit silly.
Old August 24th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

I've used it for a little while, but then I replaced it with Lugia. Red Gyarados didn't really feel too special to me, since I was able to catch it just because it was a part of the story. If I had caught it randomly (just like most of my other shiny Pokémon), then maybe I would've kept it on my team. Just maybe, haha.
Old August 24th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Elixir.
Fly Away

Nature: Calm
I used it well into Kanto. That Gyarados saved my team several times during the Johto Elite Four. It was replaced by Snorlax after some time, however.
Old August 25th, 2013, 11:09 AM
AkameTheBulbasaur
Akame Marukawa of Iyotono

The first time I caught the red Gyarados I used it up until I got to Kanto. After I restarted my Gold version I caught it, but didn't use it. I did clone it a couple times to get copies of TMs.
"The human sacrificed himself, to save the Pokemon. I pitted them against each other, but not until they set aside their differences did I see the true power they all share deep inside. I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo
Old August 30th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Isseubnida
I live for the applause

Nature: Jolly
I captured it, and I used it in my team. I also used it for breeding.

Have you ever seen a chicken strip?
Old August 30th, 2013, 09:27 AM
KnockFan
Just a Beginner ...

When I caught the Red Gyarados in Gold, I used it as one of my HM slaves.
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:35 PM
pokemox999

Got him always. but the first time I caught him, I forgot to save and therefore lost it. My bat was gone and had to charge for like a day
It was said that there was a pokemon that flew all around the atmosphere, occasionally stopping Kyogre and Groudon with their squabbles . And that there is no pokemon to rival it's strength. Then came gen III
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Elaitenstile
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Best HM Slave for Waterfall IMO. Too bad I HAD to take Feraligatr in Gold. Or else I would have used him.

Good for chain-breeding Shiny Magikarps, however. I was lucky enough to get a female shiny Magikarp, after which I managed to get more Shiny Magikarps, and finally got other Shinies. It isn't easy, I spent sleepless months doing this. Now if I got Colloseum...

I really liked the "master of Lake of Rage" part, though.

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old September 8th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Alloute
Cat Burglar

I always caught the red Gyarados because it seemed really cool. I loved that it was a shiny Pokemon that was guaranteed to appear. I never used it tho I just kept it as a collector's item or as an HM slave for moves like Whirlpool and Waterfall.
Old September 11th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Kokonoé

Coolest thing ever to see Red Gyarados for the first time, all shining with the ching-ching-ching sound. To be honest, I haven't ever found a wild shiny Pokemon outside of Red Gyarados despite playing all the mainline games for many hours. Well, least Gen II gave me some slack with Red Gyarados. Haha.
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Imperator161

I always caught the Red Gyarados, though I don't think I ever really bothered training it. For me, if a Pokémon could be seen on the overworld map prior to the battle (as in the case of Gyarados, Sudowoodo, and legendaries), it was worth my while to save first and battle it as many times as necessary to catch it. In Gyarados's case, I think I caught it the first time, though.

I do believe I dragged it along with me when I went to battle the Elite Four, but that was because the only Pokémon I had was a (fairly weak, unevolved) Totodile when I first played through Gold. I think it mainly served as attack fodder while I revived/healed Totodile.
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Zivlok

Nature: Naughty
Besides my first starter, getting that red Gyrados was the first Pokemon I remember being completely, totally over the moon about catching. I just felt so cool and so accomplished, and every run through I made sure to get him.

Except, for some reason, when I got HeartGold, I forgot about him and spent all my Pokewalker time leveling up a Magikarp to get a Gyarados, only realizing halfway through that a hand-delivered shiny Gyarados with a good moveset was waiting for me.

D'oh.
Old September 27th, 2013, 11:11 PM
«Chuckles»
First of all, I'm not a "total psycho"

Nature: Brave
I caught her first time around but it was female and even today I won't use or even look at a female pokemon for some reason it's super sexist but I just hated it since I was under the impression the male is the strongest but some pokemon that I caught that were female I kept just never used. I actually don't mind feminine looking pokemon being female but I hate feminine looking pokemon being male, ralts must be a girl unless I want gallade, Heatran must be a guy cause it looks like a guy jigglypuff has to be a girl and so on

PairFriend Code
Old September 29th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Ari Niko
Sincerity

Nature: Bold
I'd just save right before battling it so I could always know if I needed more Pokéballs or a different lead to catch him.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here