Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Reload this Page What would you think of a "All in one" Pokémon game?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Featured | Spinoffs

View Poll Results: All games combined
Yes 37 62.71%
No 10 16.95%
Maybe 12 20.34%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 25th, 2013 (08:22 AM).

This maybe should be posted here? forumdisplay.php?f=156 Not sure.

I just thought, would you guys like if there was a pokémon combined with all other games?

That you fly from this place to that place (or walk/bike), the game would be huge (exploring + map)

and the elite 4 would be only level 100 and you can only complete the elite 4 when you finished ALL gyms (160 gyms all games total!)

Would you like that kind of game or not?

Cheers
Alu
•1200 subs atm•
Old May 26th, 2013 (05:40 PM).

I've heard worse ideas ahahah. I think Lv 100 E4 would just be ridiculous though. Maybe EV-trained Lv 80 would be better. With competitive battling strategies. That would be dope.

Old May 26th, 2013 (08:09 PM).
I'm just an ordinary Saiyan...
Platinum Tier

Nature: Modest
Well, a game with all regions available and traveling between them would be fun.
Old May 26th, 2013 (08:15 PM).
Willpower

Nature: Quiet
Many people dislike this idea, however I think it'll be fun, I'll never get sick of training Pokemon and having different teams over a long period of traveling haha! ... However I think the Elite Four/Champion battles should be set out like in 'Wi-Fi' or battle subway/tent, etc. Only difference is that items may be used. You enter at 'open level' (50+).
Old May 27th, 2013 (04:39 AM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
If they lumped all the regions into a mega continent that would be stupid and wreck the canon. If you could travel realistically between regions using boat and plane that would be ok. Why would GameFreak do it though? If you made an all in one people would be more reluctant to buy other Pokemon games. Also, an objective other than beating 160 Gyms would be nice! :D Still not a horrible idea, but not likely to happen, sorry
Old May 27th, 2013 (04:59 AM).
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Silver Tier

Nature: Serious
I think, if the idea was well fleshed out by GF, it would be an absolutely amazing game. The concept itself is just glorious in and in of it's self. I would enjoy it so much. But I think it would have to be the GameFreak/Pokémon generational finale for the Turn-Based RPG Pokémon games.

I voted yes, as I would love to see it happen. Having all the regions connected would be amazing. Not to mention the longevity of the game would be absolutely epic.
Old May 27th, 2013 (05:22 AM).
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
It's a good idea on paper, but in actuality it would be terrible and extremely difficult to execute. The level gaps in between the gym leaders would have to accommodate such a large number of gym leaders that they would either be very tiny and start a lot sooner (One leader peaks at level 7, the next at level 9, etc.) or they would hit level 100 way before you reached the Elite Four if they used the normal level gap system.

I remember a thread about this a while ago and one of the core ideas behind it was that after you beat one region, you'd start over in another so that the game doesn't get easy. The problem with that is it'd take the "all-in-one" out of the game since you'd be trapped in one region at a time at the very least until you got Fly each time. Hell, I'd go as far as to say that this approach would be nothing more than a cheap reselling of multiple games in one. There'd be nothing actually tying it together. You'd start in a region, beat the Elite Four, have your Pokemon locked, go to another region, and do it all over again just like you're playing six individual games instead of one large one.

What could fix the majority of the issues that an all-in-one game presents is a raise in the level cap - like, a huge raise on scale with Disgaea. Level 500, at least. The problem with THAT is how Pokemon have been designed from the very beginning to scale with a level cap of 100. Raising the cap would mean changing when moves are learned and when they evolve, but it would be really boring if you had to wait until level 30 for Bulbasaur to learn Leech Seed and level 200 for it to evolve. And it wouldn't be like Disgaea where you can power level easily to reach such a high cap; The only reason why the cap exists is to make sure that the player can experience all of the content without maxing out too early. That means the experience would be, at best, the pre-BW system.

tl;dr Too much content, leveling wouldn't be able to keep up, not a good idea
Old May 27th, 2013 (06:02 AM).

Nature: Modest
I think the game will be very extensive, but for me thats very very cool, because that mean a lot of gameplay hours XD.

But instead of fighting with the elite four in the finals, i think that would be great tournaments in each region like in the anime, where exists 15 more trainers with pokes semi - random and fight in a elimination rules.

And to avoid the problem of the levels, could be established that in the first walk you can only use pokemons of that region, and in the new region change them, and put in the box the other. And make the levels of your oponents in the first round low for a more quick advace based on strategy more than just power.

And once you complete all the leagues, a final great tournament of 32 players, but that players could be champions of the leagues in games or rivals of Ash (imagine a tournament in the game where you can fight with Gary, Ritchie, Tyson, Paul, everyone with 6 pokemons chosen random between 12 for more challenge.

And once you have complete the game in that part, two options:

New Game +: where you began with all your pokemons, but level 1, and almost all your items, and some new items for your victory, and the posibility to use them in each region again.

Continue +: Where you can began with all your pokemons with actual levels.
Old May 27th, 2013 (08:05 AM).
adventure seeker
Moderator, CS

Nature: Naive
A game that comprised all the regions - that should be a Pokémon MMORPG, imo. With actual tournaments and not just gym leaders.

mod of Roleplay Theatre and Pokémon General
paired with seeker, creator of Phoenix Rising
Old May 27th, 2013 (09:02 PM).
Teddiursa

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Yahoo to ISNorden
I have mixed feelings about someone actually creating Pokémon mega-game that included all five developed regions. On one hand, I've always wanted to have the same character able to travel and explore the whole Pokémon world (the way Ash does on TV). On the other hand, SoulSilver has taught me that even two regions can be difficult to manage--especially when the player can't use "real-world" public transportation without beating the Elite Four and earning key items. Three more regions' worth of league victories and item quests? That would become either too easy or too hard, depending on the mega-game's pacing.

I would also miss the older, regional alternatives to gym battling: somehow, the world loses local color when Sinnoh can't have Contests alongside the Pokéathlon in Johto, or the musicals in Unova. Yes, that range of possibilities would be a nightmare to code into a single game; but ideally, a whole-world setting should highlight local differences to keep players interested.

" Coming this fall to Jubilife TV: Lost Beyond Space!"
Old May 27th, 2013 (09:27 PM).

I think the only way a game like this would work if they increased the level cap to 200 or made Pokemon level up much slower.
Old May 27th, 2013 (09:49 PM).
no ordinary buizel

Nature: Timid
I feel that a game like this would overstay its welcome. Having so many gyms could likely sacrifice other elements that make the world what it is. To me, the additional stuff really help to create the world, and being so heavily gym-based would dilute the flavorful atmosphere of the pokémon world. At least, it feels that way to me right now.

while keeping perfect time
you’ll bag up these hearts of mine
with your rhythmic shaking motion
let’s mix up more of our love potion

Water Safari: Octillery, Gyarados, Poliwhirl
Searching for Minccino, Gastrodon, Liepard, and Braixen safaris
Old May 27th, 2013 (09:59 PM).
I just want to go home.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
I've seen threads like this in the past, but I have to say the idea of a game consisting of all regions would just be too much. I mean, imagine the leveling system, you'd probably already be Level 100 by the time you arrive in a new region, and also if this were on a handheld it would be too much memory to even fit, so it'd have to suit a console. Also, I'd only see games like this if Pokemon was ending for good, but sadly that seems unlikely as well especially given that Pokemon is the second-biggest selling game franchise behind the Mario series.

I hate to say this, but I'm all against this idea because it would ruin the purpose of new generations altogether.
Old May 29th, 2013 (12:59 PM).
Master of the Dragonites

Nature: Calm
I can see how it could go wrong. But GF know better! Imagine having 60 badges to gather! And being able to catch ALL the pokemon.
Old May 29th, 2013 (08:10 PM).
Teddiursa

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Yahoo to ISNorden
Quote originally posted by Paulthagerous:
I can see how it could go wrong. But GF know better! Imagine having 60 badges to gather! And being able to catch ALL the pokemon.

Talk about getting back to the original slogan: I wouldn't mind "Gotta catch 'em all" as the ultimate object of a five-region game. Gym badges would become mostly marks of prestige, as they are in the anime: Otherwise, with so many gyms, the player would be either over-rewarded or over-hindered along the way. (The rule for determining whether a traded Pokémon obeyed the player could depend on the average level of his "original" Pokémon--the ones he caught or bred himself.)

" Coming this fall to Jubilife TV: Lost Beyond Space!"
Old May 29th, 2013 (09:36 PM).
Guardian of Le Foret
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
I think it would be interesting but dont know how it would really turn out in the long run. Its an interesting idea but i doubt gamefreak would try to do anything even close to that.

3DS Name: Jericho 3DS Friend Code: 3995 - 6761 - 1080 Old Username: Jerichob10
Old May 29th, 2013 (10:23 PM).
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
that would be great, i mean who wouldn't like the idea of being able to travel to all regions in one game. but game freak will never do this. people would be reluctant to buy more pokemon games.

i think this would work better on wii. or xbox, pc, ps3 ect. that would be an amazing experience.
Old May 30th, 2013 (10:53 PM).
Nyeh?
Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
This seems tempting, but I wouldn't want it because there's limited space to include all 5 regions in one cartridge.

Old June 5th, 2013 (12:28 PM).
Spreader of the T-Virus

Having every region in one game would eliminate a lot of the grinding you have to do for E4 battles.. however by the time you finish halfway in the 2nd region, (Let's say Johto) you'll probably have a team of level 100s.. so there are a few loopholes in this idea.

However silly it sounds, I would love it. You would have to be a PETA-loving, Pokemon-hating, anti-fanboy freak to hate this idea.
Old June 5th, 2013 (01:08 PM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

It'd be interesting, especially if you completed every Pokémon League too! Although the level curve'd be awful...you'd end up with trainers at level 100, suddenly Red wouldn't be the strongest any more, and I'm not sure I'd be ok with that :/

Unless you did like Ash, starting over. Although then your Pikachu-equivalent would still have the issue of being like hyper-levelled.
I try not to be a pessimist, but a 4+ regions game I just can't see happening.

I would however like another one with more than one region - Hoenn and Sinnoh would be an interesting concept, being complete opposite ends of the Pokémon World's Japan-equivalent. Particularly if Prof. Rowan / Prof. Birch gave you a starter when you moved region.
Old June 5th, 2013 (07:57 PM).
The last Saskatchewan pirate.
Moderator, CS

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Osiris
The only way that I'd want to see an "ultimate" game come about is if it's a blow-off finale to the series, and with the way things are going, it may be a very long time before that happens.

That being said, the technology isn't quite there yet to fit all of that on to a single handheld cartridge, and I don't think a console game would end up reaching quite the audience that they'd hope it would. And making an MMORPG based on all of the regions might be an interesting idea too, but again, it really wouldn't feel quite the same way as if we had it all on a cartridge, and I'd bet there would be too many potential risks for Game Freak to want to pour a whole bunch of money into something of a grand scale like that.

Overall, I like the idea behind an all-in-one game, but there are too many factors that would need to be considered to make the game work, and it might very well be impossible to hit the right balance.
Old June 6th, 2013 (03:31 PM).

Nature: Quirky
Agreeing with Brendino. This idea would be really nice to finish off the series, but I don't see it happening in the near future.

Perhaps to accommodate such a small amount of space to put such a large amount of data (maps and trainers, mainly) on, you could put in a sample section of each region instead of the whole thing for all 5/6/however many generations (regions) there would be? Or expand it into multiple versions like each generation has been...or combine them all as 2-3 cartridges, depending on which format they use, and sell it as one entire package. Maybe combine 1-4 as they're Japan-based, then 5+ because they have international influences. There's a myriad of possibilities if they did a "finale" to this series.

Regarding level curves, a level 100 E4 and Champion is probably the hardest thing a kid could face (because I'm pretty sure this game is still marketed towards younger audiences), especially if you haven't played this franchise beyond 2 or so regions. Unless it involved some sort of level reset the levels would get pretty high once you cross into the 3rd E4, if multiple E4s are allowed. Or maybe you get to keep your progress throughout the compilation (money, pokedex, etc.), but you have to have an entirely new team in each region?

And could you imagine having 5 villainous teams against you? Team Rocket, Team Magma and Aqua, Team Galactic, and Team Plasma? Sounds crazy, unless it's strictly divided so that there's only one team per region.

Concluding this rant, I think an "all in one" game would signal the end of the franchise as we know it. It would be an excellent idea, and probably one that would be well-received by almost any Pokemon fan. Due to hardware limitations, however, a handheld device as the platform for this game is probably out of the question unless it came in a package of multiple cartridges. A console might be able to handle all of the data on one disc, but not all of the marketed audience may own consoles.
Old June 15th, 2013 (05:09 PM).

With the 3ds in mind, I believe a spin-off of the main series games with every region &
pokemon up to this point would be phenomenal.

Oak opens with the speech. Asks your gender, age, what u look like & what region ur from. Ur given ur starter by the regions prof. (a pokemon native to the region, it's uncommon to find & its evo's are rare in the wild) but soon after all the rare pokemon in the prof lab are stolen by new antagonist organization working in conjunction with each evil group & it's up to u too take them down. The gym leaders, elite 4 & champions don't know about & its your responsibility (on your quest to become a pokemon master) to let them know (no one believes u but the org shows up at the end of every gym battle/league victory to try and steel pokemon) & build up a strong team to stop the antagonists in an end-game final battle (along side red, blue, cynthia, lance etc).

Now, I understand there could be some concerns but let me address them:

Game Cartridge Space - The 3ds has the capacity for up too 8GB of space... u could fit Skyward Sword & Monster Hunter Tri onto the cartridge so there won't be a problem.

Leveling - The amount of time it takes to actually raise a full team of 6 to lvl 100.... would finally be filled seamlessly, no more repetitive grinding. But how many of u actually use the same team each region? Ha! Be honest. You'll at least have a few pokemon on rotation... remember some pokemon are region exclusive, so even if ur stubborn enough to say u'll only use 6 it's possible all 6 aren't going to be available to u right off the bat... which leads into my next point...

Trading - A fundamental part of pokemon... with starers available in the wild (in this spin-off title) along with every other pokemon wouldn't this be pointless? No. There are still region specific pokemon, for ppl who want to rush through the game & cut exploring down trading is the way to go and have we forgotten about natures? Unless this game has a pokedex that can identify natures before capturing ur still going to have to grind hard for that.

Money Making - They should charge $60 or even $80 to make up for the additional work/content. I'm not adverse to paying that considering what I'd be getting.

Discuss.
Old June 18th, 2013 (10:55 AM).
Master of Ice

Nature: Lax
I like the idea if that much data can be compressed into one cartridge. 6 generations worth of Pokémon would be time-consuming but fun if you want all 660+ Pokémon. I hope one day that they make a game like that for computer/laptop use as I use my laptop alot. I'd have fun collecting them all, even ones I have never had because of not having certain games/game systems.
I have made Facebook pages of all 721 existing Pokémon plus Mega evolutions. If you want to join them, search for them in this format: [Pokémon's name], Pokémon # [Pokédex number], or for Mega evolutions, just type in Mega [Pokémon's name]
Old June 18th, 2013 (05:23 PM).

I've always longed for the day they would make an all-in-one pokémon game. But in this thread I came across with some arguments I haven't thought about before and I gotta admit a game like that would be inviable. Maybe this could be better done using a different game mechanics? Perhaps as a tactical turn based-game, like the Pokémon Conquest game, which seems to have had a positive reception. You could face all gyms/plot events in succession and the storyline would be developed in cutscenes/cg between each stage. But I believe that goes against the expected by many, regarding the adventuring through all regions...
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)