The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio

Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: Which Pokemon the Master on the top of the Developers Mansion should give you between those two?
Lotad 8 36.36%
Togepi 14 63.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:50 AM
80C
12341 #4xx012

<<Welcome to the Region of Frejo!>>

Pokemon Grape is a classic hack that takes place in the Region of Frejo.
It features over 230 Pokemon and it's a total overhaul of the original game.

DOWNLOAD DEMO 2.1 (FIXED)

1. Background info
  2. Story
  3. Features
  4. Known bugs and issues
  5. Screenshots
  6. Videos
  7. Downloads and releases
  8. Awards
  9. Credits
  10. Last notes, banner and support

Background info:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
What you need to know about the origins of this hack.

This is a hack of Pokemon Red (USA) and it's 80C's first Pokemon hack.
It has been started in late 2012, later in 2013 there were 2 Demo releases during the same year (Demo 1 in July and Demo 2 in December) and each demo was very different form the previous one with each time even more improvements and add-ons.
A third Demo release has been planned for 2014.
This is the (very) last Total Overhaul hack that has been created with obsolete hacking methods such as hex-editing.

This hack actually ranks between the best hacks for the First Generation games.

Story:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
So, we have a background story this time?

This hack takes place in a far region called Frejo, in the far west of the world of Pokemon, one year after the facts happened in Pokemon Red.

<<For 1000 years the region of Frejo owned the property of the Western Pokemon League, one of the most powerful authority in the world, but this territory was stolen from another region, Kelgo.

After 1000 years in 1999 exploded a dispute between the 2 regions for the owning of the Pokemon League and, in order to avoid the war, the 2 Region Leaders decided to start a competition, in which each region chooses an unexperienced trainer and make them fight in Frejo against the official Gymleaders, so one of them could became the new League champion and rule over the 2 Regions for other 1000 years.

The region of Frejo chooses the descendant of the guy who won 1000 years before the League, Grape, the protagonist, the region of Kelgo chooses surprisingly another frejolese trainer called Paul, but he's the son of the local criminal boss that wants take over the region affairs since his affairs in Kanto were wiped out the year before by Ash.

In agreement with Kelgo the last members of Team Rocket who ran away from Kanto started an urban warfare, and the day before the official day of the starting of the competition they broke into the League and destroyed all the Pokemon Data from the mainframe, and the region fell in a deep crisis.

The league decided to add another task to the two challengers' mission: collect every pokemon in the world in order to restore the datas, so the League Leader Snake gave to the two challengers a tutor that comes from the neutral region of Altek, Prof. Bek, cousin of Prof. Oak and one of the best expert of Pokemon in the World.>>

Who wins the League becomes the Champion, and who complete the Pokédex saves the World.

But... will this consist in the same adventure like Good Kid, Bad Team, you win OR there will be more plot twists?
You have to discover by yourself.
And remember: looks can be deceiving.

This will be an unexpected adventure.

Features:
Why people play this Generation 1 hack rather than Brown 2014 any other GB hack
  • A completely new region, Frejo, bigger than Kanto; a few places of other regions are explorable as well;
  • More than 230 Pokemon from all generations (1-6); 2 rumored Pokemon are included;
  • 9 New additional types: Steel, Dark, Fairy, Sound, Gas, Wood, Wind, Light and Abnormal;
  • Very updated graphics far more detailed than in Gen1 games;
  • 70 New additional moves (including 3 offensive moves for each one of the new types);
  • Custom Advisory Intro Screen before the normal Intro Screens;
  • Phisical\Special Split like in Gen4;
  • Unique Party OWs like in Gen3;
  • EXP Bar like in Gen2;
  • A lot of new items, some used for evolution and other ones for other uses;
  • New music;
  • Some game dynamics I can't reveal yet until the next release (it's a surprise, why spoil everything?);
  • Post League tasks;
  • Secret places and puzzles;
  • Compatibility with Gen1 and Gen2 games (no Gen3+ due to hardware limitations, of course)
The remaining stuff like GYMs, sprites, TMs, text, wild pokemon etc etc was completely changed;
In a few words, every aspect of the game was changed in better.

Known bugs and issues:
All of them be fixed, remember, this version is still under developing and not completed yet; other finished Gen1 hacks are very buggy
  • Glitches;
  • Minor issues;
  • Glitches of the original Red version that have been fixed;

Glitches and issues still in Demo2:
  • Some of the normal glitches already present in the Red Version but many of them have been fixed.
  • If you open too much TMs at the same time (4+ TMs) the game may freeze.
    This will be fixed before Demo3 release.

• Some Pokemon have a grey-ish palette only if seen in the stats menu.
    This was fixed in Demo3.
  • You could avoid get the Pokedex and roam around freely until the first two GYMs, in any case, before you could progress in the game after the second badge you'll have forcefully to get the pokedex otherwise a path will be blocked until you get the pokedex.
    This is not a bug but it's annoying for more unexperienced players.
    This will be prevented in the future.
  • Focus Energy as well as Dire hit have been fixed, now their effect increase the probability of Critical Hits rather than decrease it drastically.
  • No glitch city :P
  • When Mew or Ditto use transform they will change even the palette assuming the palette of the foe pokemon if you enter the pokemon party and then exit or shortly after an attack from the enemy;
  • No MissingNo. (of course, it has been replaced by new pokemon);
  • A lot of other things have been fixed from the original Red, so many that I don't even remember every single fix so that's it.

Screenshots:
watch how this game was improved over its theorical limits

Videos:
Words from our sponsor

DEMO 2 OFFICIAL TRAILER:
http://youtu.be/ZOU2Ht2DGyw

ADVISORY INTRO:
http://youtu.be/r4XZHFug2Co

WHO's THAT POKEMON?
http://youtu.be/IECj26OrqwA

NEW MUSIC:
http://youtu.be/tVW299noows

Downloads and releases:
The reason why you're here

Latest Beta: - DEMO 2.1 (WINTER 2013) - Pokemon from Gen2 & Gen4 included.

DOWNLOAD HERE!
Demo 2.1 (Fix)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

NEXT RELEASE: THE DEMO 3 EP (EXTENDED PLAY)

Release: 2014

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Older releases:
  • Demo 1: June 2013;
  • Demo 2 (Pre-fix): Early December 2013;
  • Demo 2.1 (Fix): Late December 2013;
  • Demo 3 EP: (TBA) 2014;

Awards:
The awards this hack game gained

As of may 2014:

In this forum none
(is such hard compete against Generation 3+ Hacks with a limited hardware like the Game Boy Original!)

Several HotM Awards in other hacking forums.
(same note as above)

Credits:
The people who really contributed on this project
  • Blue Emerald: additional OW sprites;
  • Chambers_: additional OW sprites;
  • ~Red: custom music;
  • Sawakita: additional asm support;
  • ShantyTown: custom music;
  • Uac_Dario: additional asm support;

Note: This hack used Danny-E 33's Pokemon Red GenII Graphic Patch v1.0 (the very first one) in its first stages of developement, after that early modification the hack has been developed and improved indipendently from it.
Then, it's true that I implemented one (1) extra feature that was (only in his opinion) his own idea (the EXP Bar) but it's even more true that I was the one who fixed it and gave him the correction - that's actually WHY his Graphic patch v1.5 exists - and he always forgets to mention these details as usual.

And no, Koolboyman isn't absolutely involved in this project as the only similarities with his hack were only placeholder stuff that was removed and now in Demo3 there's no trace at all of similar features (the sidescroll areas come originally from another Game Boy game) not even the new types that have different dynamics from his own (they have only identical names and that's all).

Last notes, banner and support:
At last but not less important

Last Notes:
  • I don't give already formatted ROMs, patch it by yourself, the game that has to be patched is Pokemon Red (USA) without any modification or alteration, I don't give ROMs of any kind so search them by yourself (it's easy to do);
  • If you discover a glitch contact me at my e-mail adress reported in the ReadMe of the download OR PM me on this site, don't post glitch reports on the thread, also report accuratley the glitch: what you did, what you use, your settings etc.
  • I don't answer to questions involving release dates, my releases come out as soon as they're ready\fixed\tested & re-fixed.
  • I don't answer anymore to questions involving the choise of the hack name. If you don't like (green) grapes then eat orange carrots or some other kind of fruit\vegetables (excluding Peaches for obvious reasons).
  • I'm not native english so I'd like to have some respect as I have to continue this whole project alone. Suggestions about grammar are always accepted but insults aren't accepted as well.
  • Last note: Generation 1 hacking is the most difficult type of hacking regarding Pokemon for a lot of reasons.

Graphic art etc:

HD Cover by IvanFGK92 & 80C
Banner by Nishi7 & 80C

HTML Code:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=302152][IMG]http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r667/Foxhound80C/grapebanner_zps373a7573.png[/IMG][/URL]
Copy the above text in your signature and support this great hack.
Attached Images
File Type: png screenshot-conversation.png‎ (20.8 KB, 15 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Attached Files
File Type: ips PokemonGrapeDemo2.1 (fix).ips‎ (290.0 KB, 42 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Download Demo 2: Click the banner above!

Yo! Check this video and decide if Pokemon Grape is now better than Pokemon Brown or not!
http://youtu.be/qtUTRc7IPuo
Koolboyman, Danny-E 33... From Frejo with Love you suckers!

Last edited by 80C; June 3rd, 2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old May 25th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Pinkish Purple
五代目水影

Nature: Naughty
Yay! another gen1 hack Love the simplicity. Why that name? do you like grapes? Me too xD
Old May 25th, 2013, 10:52 PM
hackstar
Check it out!!

Nature: Bashful
Nice hack,but why did you call it Pokemon Grape? Name something good.
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:17 AM
80C
12341 #4xx012

Side note added very later
It's amazing how initially people used to care more about the name of this hack rather than the hack itself.
If they only knew this later turned out to be the greatest Gen1 hack of its times...

It's just a color name... why care so much?
Metal names were finished so I picked up the first unused color name;
I still think my decision was better than pick a name like <<Pokemon Ultimate World of Legendary Modern Warfares 2: Ghost Ops>>.

Of course, "Grape" is one of those pastel colours that only a few people know about.

By the way I first picked Scyther as mascotte for the similarity between its own color and the color of the version but later I've linked a Scyther with the story itself.

Yo! Check this video and decide if Pokemon Grape is now better than Pokemon Brown or not!

Last edited by 80C; May 30th, 2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old May 26th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Alex
Whale & Wasp
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
This looks... amazing! I love the new graphics, tile changes, all of it! :D

My particular favorite would be the world map and the overworld... they're just stunning. Great work!

As for the title of the hack... I think it could be changed to something better. But still, it's not a bad name - you could start a fruit-naming hack trend. ;)

I did my time and I want out
So effusive – fade – it doesn’t cut
The soul is not so vibrant
The reckoning, the sickening
Packaging subversion
Pseudo–sacrosanct perversion
Old May 27th, 2013, 06:22 AM
edwardo999

Looks interesting, and I wonder how Scyther will be related to the story? Hmm....
Gonna be keeping an eye on this.
Old May 27th, 2013, 12:27 PM
80C
12341 #4xx012

I studied the world map 3 months before I started build this, studing the connections, where the gyms are, where HM are etc, since I edited also the connection it won't be so similar to Red and Kanto (yes, there are still a few routes accessible by Route Gates) but many connections may be unexpected, plus you could explore even a small part of another region, Altek, infact I added an extra city in a blank space (Map $0B), this means you'll have 11 cities + the plateau with the pokemon league... this game is more similar to hacks like brown or TRE rather than the common graphical R\B hacks.

Here's a pic of the Town Map (and of the SGB Border:

Last edited by 80C; May 30th, 2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old May 27th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Ohlookzero

How long do you think until full completion just wondering?
I love gen I hacks, sadly there isn't much. Can't wait to play the full thing.
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:05 PM
LeftNut

Dude, this looks amazing. Loving the way you decked the protag out in Baseball gear.

Also, I personally love the name
Old May 30th, 2013, 05:41 AM
80C
12341 #4xx012

Yes, actually the protagonist is a baseball player.

Anyway, this game will look a lot different from the original Red Version, also the story is different, infact there's no more a kid that wants became a champion or something like that, but a competition between 2 Regions with Team Rocket that interferes and all the adventures that occour during the competition.

Old May 30th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Ankarit
Unhatched Egg

As I said I really like this hack
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:22 AM
80C
12341 #4xx012

New screenshots!

I've updated some cities, like this one.
Note the Jotho-Style Border.

A robbery?
What happened?

The rival!
Is he a robber?

I just luv it!

A route shock-full of trainers.
This game seems crowded certain times.

Walking at night in a mountain forest route... suggesting.

Oh yeah, WIND-type!

Yes, Elias is the mad gymleader of Megan City.
He's a mad scientist.

Proof of animated water in the new tilesets.

Hmmm... I'm a bit confused, wasn't this adventure setted in the region of Frejo...oh, just a moment!
It means I could explore another region!

Old May 31st, 2013, 08:41 AM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire

What's wrong with chikorita?
It's not usually that color?
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:47 AM
80C
12341 #4xx012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varion View Post

What's wrong with chikorita?
It's not usually that color?
No no no, he's in the good color,
proof:

simply in the Title screen, if you remember, Pokemon & ash share the same palette, I made this Red\Yellow palette that fits better than the original Purple\Pink.

The game is colored thanks to the SGB (Supergameboy) features, but if you remember the Original Red, there weren't so much colors (only a few palettes) and the palettes used for Pokemon Creatures were 8, now, instead of 8 palettes,
200 circa palettes will be used for Pokemon and Trainers, for now 143 palettes are used.

Last edited by 80C; May 31st, 2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old May 31st, 2013, 02:18 PM
Ohlookzero

Those new ss's make me want to play the game that much more.
How far until completion? Or a percentage if possible
Old May 31st, 2013, 02:42 PM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
Is it not possible to change the Pallete of Red and Chicorita on the title screen?
(...I'm not 100% knowledged on RBY hacking, so I don't know what's do-able)
Old June 1st, 2013, 08:41 AM
80C
12341 #4xx012

Ahah... that's not SS Anne, that one was a screenshot of the Old Beta of April, now the tileset is completely new in that map - and now it looks like this:

Yeap, the story is different from Red.
Since that map had the [Gary] event I used it, but now it isn't SS Anne, it's an abandoned building important in order to go further in the story.

Note that the Rival's name is Paul.

---------------------
About the Game completion, this is a secret, wait until September 2013 for Beta 1, 2 GYMs and 4 cities and many interesting places, it won't be boring (absolutely! It's not an easy game!) and there are since the beginning new features that weren't in Red.

Also, note that the screenshots doesn't portray the final product - for example the Kart screenshot shows a city with a blue-like palette, that now is very different.
Oh yes, this is a complete overhaul... there are very few of these for Pokemon Red, I think there are about 2 complete Red overhauls and 4 work-in-progress including this hack that is gonna be completed as well.

Old June 1st, 2013, 09:03 AM
80C
12341 #4xx012

Sorry double post, I've updated the palettes of some Pokemon, because the first graphic overhaul had some space limitations - and many pokemon shared same palettes - I've added some new ones, I need your opinion, because I'm undecided if I had to do some changes.
Here are some:

Geodude. It's palette is more similar to the color it has in RSE, he shares this palette with Graveler.

Zubat, he shares his palette with Golbat, but I was undecided if give him a Sky-blue\violet palette or this one. I tried with the skyblue\violet one but it seems he has some funky shadows so I left this one, which idea you prefer?

And now 3 Pokemon with new palettes that I think fit better than before:

The palettes used in the original GenII graphic patch were similar to the GS and also Crystal ones, but I'd rather give to some pokemon a palette more similar to RSE, do you prefer a RSE style or a GSC style for palettes?

Old June 2nd, 2013, 11:31 AM
Southueki
Writer

This is amazing ! I am really looking forward for a release

The only thing I noticed is, in your screenshots you say there's a Wind type, yet on the page it's called Bird type, and there's already a Flying type. That seems a little confusing :x

Also, are there going to be type changes to pokémon in order to fit the new types? And for STAB purposes as well..

Great job, keep them comin' !
Old June 3rd, 2013, 01:48 PM
80C
12341 #4xx012

9 new types were added to the hack:
  • Steel
  • Dark
  • Fairy
  • Sound
  • Gas
  • Wood
  • Light
  • Wind
  • Abnormal

I know perfectly that 2 types (Abnormal and Wind) have the same name of some other added types of a rival hack (Pokemon Brown 2009) but it doesn't mean they were snatched, infact these types have different dynamics from KoolToyMom's hack, the combination between the new types are different (thus I absolutely don't have to credit him for anything).

For future references, here's the Type chart:

Last edited by 80C; May 30th, 2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:51 PM
Danny-E 33
Experienced Hacker

Nature: Lonely
Haha, did you get the idea of using an empty tile slot for a water dungeon tile from my town map for Prototype? :p

Hacks made from my Pokémon Red - Gen. II Graphics Patch:
Pokemon Red Proud Eyes [Skeetendo Link] by break
Pokemon Grape [Skeetendo Link] by 80C
Pokémon Red: Battle Factory [Skeetendo Link] by ShantyTown
Pokemon Ice Blue by Dradier234
Pokemon Tough Red by slim spazzy
Pokemon Red: Legends by BroskiRage
Pokemon Brutal Blue by ScytherTM

Moderator of The
Old June 4th, 2013, 11:01 AM
80C
12341 #4xx012

The truth is that I've got the Idea from G\S (also for the Land Mark) since it uses water marks, but I admit I saw also your hack - I was already thinking about the water tile and the land mark - so I thought it was a good idea.
I had to add also a south coast tile because in the south part of the region there's the sea, this idea was taken from GS too.

He was already thinking I was "stealing his ideas"... don't you think the same thing?

Last edited by 80C; June 1st, 2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old June 4th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Danny-E 33
Experienced Hacker

Nature: Lonely
Ah, I didn't notice your town map had 3 dungeon tiles; route, water, and land. Nice.
Personally, I like the dungeon tiles to be coloured, not black, but it makes your hack more unique, so I'd say keep them black.

EDIT: Also, I'm gonna admit, I really like your palette tweak for Machoke a lot more than the palette I put in the Graphics Patch. Do you think you could help me tweak the palette for Machamp too? I'm still not satisfied with it.

Actually, I just noticed that the dungeon tiles are black when playing Gold in SGB mode, so that offers some legitimacy:
Attached Images
File Type: png bgb00004.PNG‎ (3.6 KB, 14 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Hacks made from my Pokémon Red - Gen. II Graphics Patch:
Pokemon Red Proud Eyes [Skeetendo Link] by break
Pokemon Grape [Skeetendo Link] by 80C
Pokémon Red: Battle Factory [Skeetendo Link] by ShantyTown
Pokemon Ice Blue by Dradier234
Pokemon Tough Red by slim spazzy
Pokemon Red: Legends by BroskiRage
Pokemon Brutal Blue by ScytherTM

Moderator of The

Last edited by Danny-E 33; June 4th, 2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old June 5th, 2013, 12:56 AM
80C
12341 #4xx012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny-E 33 View Post
Ah, I didn't notice your town map had 3 dungeon tiles; route, water, and land. Nice.
Personally, I like the dungeon tiles to be coloured, not black, but it makes your hack more unique, so I'd say keep them black.

EDIT: Also, I'm gonna admit, I really like your palette tweak for Machoke a lot more than the palette I put in the Graphics Patch. Do you think you could help me tweak the palette for Machamp too? I'm still not satisfied with it.

Actually, I just noticed that the dungeon tiles are black when playing Gold in SGB mode, so that offers some legitimacy:
Yes, I took many things\ideas from G\S.
GS and RB are more similar than they appear, GS are based on R\B (but in particular on Yellow), so I thought, if Nintendo "transformed" Red into Gold, why I couldn't then?

About the palette tweak of Machoke sure, you could use it for your hack

and then he still says I steal ideas from his hack... so why I let you use my palette tweak for Machoke???

Last edited by 80C; June 1st, 2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old June 5th, 2013, 01:40 AM
CliCliW
I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.

Nature: Bashful
This looks really awesome - I can't wait to play it! Do you have any kind of a prediction as to when it'll be complete?

Deceased:

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links