Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development
Reload this Page [Discussion] What are you working on?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Old June 2nd, 2013 (01:45 PM).
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

What are you working on at the moment, in the game development sense? Are you making maps, fixing bugs, finding resources, wondering whether new feature X is worth it, learning how to do something...? Anything, really. Just drop in and talk about what's up.

------------------------------------------------

At the moment I'm looking at the 125-ish new animations that need adding to Essentials, and wondering whether to knock up a script to easily rearrange animations (to keep everything in order). It should be easy enough to do; I've made a few such lists recently for other things. I don't know if it's worth trying to integrate it into the Animation Editor, though.
Old June 2nd, 2013 (01:56 PM).
Wild Duck Pokémon
Gold Tier
CS

Nature: Impish
Completely restructuring the inventory system. Then I'll be inserting the moves so I can finish the Pokemon information screens, then I'll be working on the actual battles. Also changing every instance of "Pokemon" to "Pohkee mawn" because damn you tts software.
Old June 2nd, 2013 (01:58 PM).
Purr

Making the introduction screen and making maps. Also trying to learn how to sprite trainers and stuff and also learning a bit of scripting.
Old June 2nd, 2013 (02:36 PM).
who are you
Gold Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Apple Juice
Mostly working on the fake-dex, getting front, back and icon sprites done so I can focus more on the actual development on the game without worrying about replacing the originals with fakemon. At the same time, though, I'm trying to gather more custom OWs and trainer sprites.

LP/Guide/Review of the Week! - create one now and it could be featured!
shawn , janna , dave // credit
Old June 2nd, 2013 (03:15 PM). Edited June 2nd, 2013 by Dradier234.

Nature: Careful
Right now, I'm mapping and making events for the my game, Pokemon Draconite, and I'm also gathering up some music and graphics for it. Editing some trainer stats, too.
Old June 2nd, 2013 (03:26 PM).
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Silver Tier

Nature: Timid
Gathering resources and debating if my game should be on Pokemon or not.
Old June 2nd, 2013 (06:45 PM).
Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to venom12
Working on new systems and writing the story.
Old June 3rd, 2013 (10:39 AM).
ಥдಥ
Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
World building. So much world building! Mapping in particular right now. Design concepts here and there.

SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
HARDCORE EDITION
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old June 3rd, 2013 (10:58 AM).
X-Class Project, Derxwna, #003

Nature: Lax
I'm taking a break from working, as I burnt myself out on the last burst of energy. However, the last thing I was working on was the interior maps for the next Demo release - I work in a step by step process - Exterior maps first, then Interior maps, then generic NPC Events, then NPC Battles.
For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
Game Projects:
In Progress:
Old June 3rd, 2013 (11:26 AM).
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Nature: Relaxed
Mostly mapping and making new tiles, for my game.
Experimenting with RGSS for learning purposes, as well.

Feature-wise, I am contemplating as to wether I should make all, the Pokémon available in my game, competitively viable, by reworking base stats and movesets.
Old June 3rd, 2013 (02:59 PM).

Quote originally posted by tImE:
Mostly mapping and making new tiles, for my game.
Experimenting with RGSS for learning purposes, as well.

Feature-wise, I am contemplating as to wether I should make all, the Pokémon available in my game, competitively viable, by reworking base stats and movesets.
Good stuff - experimenting and learning is what good programmers do all the time. You can never be "done" learning how to code, because there's an infinite number of things you can do with it.

I wouldn't bother modifying the species properties if I were you. Some Pokémon (typically the more common ones) simply aren't meant to be competitively viable, thus encouraging you to switch your team around as you progress. Besides, what competitiveness is there in your game? In any case, trying to rebalance the weaker Pokémon will take a whole lot of effort which you could be spending on more important things.

I've made a start on adding the new move animations now (done about 20 so far), and I've decided to make a little stand-alone method for rearranging animations. It won't be accessible from anywhere (not even debug); it's just useful for me because I'm dealing with a lot of animations, plus I can't tidily integrate it into somewhere else.
Old June 4th, 2013 (02:28 AM).

I'm not currently working on anything, with University finals being my priority, but once I go on holidays I'll be returning to my current project. I have to assemble some tilesets for the next maps, convert those maps into their proper tilesets, then construct all the events for them. I just wish indoor maps weren't so boring to make... I think I'll close off most of the buildings in foreign towns. Doesn't really make sense for the player to wander into strangers' houses anyway. Man, pre-writing the script for a game sucks, cause there's all this great mapping and eventing I want to do but I need to assemble the graphics for them first. Bleh.
Old June 4th, 2013 (05:36 AM).
#BAMFPokemonNerd

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
I've started to make my map actually work instead of just being there, and with a little more tinkering it should be fully completed

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old June 4th, 2013 (06:18 AM).
Actually not mad at all
Silver Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Maruno:
Good stuff - experimenting and learning is what good programmers do all the time. You can never be "done" learning how to code, because there's an infinite number of things you can do with it.

I wouldn't bother modifying the species properties if I were you. Some Pokémon (typically the more common ones) simply aren't meant to be competitively viable, thus encouraging you to switch your team around as you progress. Besides, what competitiveness is there in your game? In any case, trying to rebalance the weaker Pokémon will take a whole lot of effort which you could be spending on more important

I'm currently busy modifying the stats and movesets of some pokemon... editing the movesets is pretty much necessary if you have added new moves to your game XD.

In terms of stats, I'm only editing the pokemon who really need it. Take Masquerain for example, it's really weak, while they are super hard to get by.

I also need to learn more about coding, since creating new abilities isn't as easy as creating new move effects.
Old June 4th, 2013 (05:18 PM).
Pokémon Island Creator

Taking notes of ideas and bug for my game, reading guides, following tutorials and trying to answer some game-dev related questions. I recently came up with a great idea for a new project that makes a broad use of the new game + feature, but I probably will gave up in order to give more attention for my old projects

I wouldn't bother modifying the species properties if I were you. Some Pokémon (typically the more common ones) simply aren't meant to be competitively viable, thus encouraging you to switch your team around as you progress. Besides, what competitiveness is there in your game? In any case, trying to rebalance the weaker Pokémon will take a whole lot of effort which you could be spending on more important things.
I generally disagree about this, except some cases like Kricketune, Sunflora and Masquerain. Initially I was thinking about giving better abilities for these pokémon (like Game Freak did as Machamp/Hitmonchan/Clefable in DPP or several Dream World Abilities). Except for Battle Frontier/Stadium buildings/games I disagree that in-game pokémon deserves this efforts. In my latest game the only balance change that I did was create an item to make some pokémon evolve earlier (up to 15 levels) that can be caught earlier, like Kling, Spheal and Litwick.
Old June 5th, 2013 (10:50 AM).

Eh... I'm basically a lurker around these parts, but I figured I might as well post here, seeing as recently I've started putting more effort into the game I'm making. Right now, I'm splitting my time between planning fakemons, gathering and editing 4th Gen tiles (it's basically impossible to work with 5th Gen ones, unless you're a really good spriter. Alas, I am not, so I've given up on that for now. After all, it's not essential) and learning how to draw, since basically every good tutorial on how to make good custom sprites for trainers and pokémon requires drawing knowledge.

Sorry if I've written anything that's not grammatically correct, english is not my native language and I never had a formal education in english.
Old June 5th, 2013 (11:21 AM). Edited October 26th, 2014 by POKEMONMASTER260.

EDIT: Never mind, friends.
Old June 5th, 2013 (12:33 PM).
@LukaSJ0

Seems like everyone has their hands busy. I'm actually working on something quite big! Learning to do many new things! It's quite a lot of fun. I started my hand at composing music, and am working towards improving my (and maybe creating new) graphics drawing skills. So, I'm back in the "workshop".
Old June 5th, 2013 (02:02 PM).

Quote originally posted by Luka S.J.:
Seems like everyone has their hands busy. I'm actually working on something quite big! Learning to do many new things! It's quite a lot of fun. I started my hand at composing music, and am working towards improving my (and maybe creating new) graphics drawing skills. So, I'm back in the "workshop".
Cool! I'm actually thinking about learning some music theory once I have some more free time, because I'm too asocial to know anyone to make music for me :/
I want to be able to compose my own music, so that A) I won't bother anyone, B) I'll be able to have them all exactly as I want and C) even if I found someone willing to work with me on my project, I'd be asking a ludicrous amount of music, and my experience with talented people is that you can't ask them to do TOO many things, even if they're willing to work with you. One thing is requesting a catchy tune, another entirely is requesting the entirety of the works of Shakespeare turned into electroswing songs. That is, if something is too much to ask people, then I better do it myself right?
I'm running my mouth here, got too excited. Anyway, I barely started progress on my project. It'll probably take more than the rest of the year to post a thread of the project here, and I'm planning to post a thread as soon as I have a presentable project, with just some basic things, like the player characters and three screenshots. Then it'll take a couple more years to finish it, if everything goes according to plan.
Old June 5th, 2013 (08:39 PM).
Banned

Nature: Gentle
Making trainer overworlds, mapping and mostly figuring out how to make the Visual and Smart Poké-Pocket scripts, as those are the most important part of my game.
Old June 6th, 2013 (07:18 AM).

Nature: Sassy
Drawing, drawing and drawing fakemons... sugimori style of course.
I've come up with about 80 or so now, and I don't plan to stop untill I have done 200...
It'll be tough but luckily I'm not lacking in the creative department...
What I lack is all in the technical stuff of a game... from spriting to scripting, I know nothing lol
Also, writing concepts and features about a possible future game with essentials.
And when I say future, I mean after the release of gen 6
Old June 11th, 2013 (10:37 PM).
Some Game Developer

Nature: Calm
I'm mainly just gathering resources. But, at the same time, I'm learning C++ on top of that, fun, fun, fun :D
Old June 12th, 2013 (09:10 AM).

I'm finishing off the last bit of work for adding all the new move animations to Essentials. It's pretty much the last big thing I wanted to do before the next release.
Old June 12th, 2013 (09:25 AM).
Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to venom12
I'm finishing off the last bit of work for adding all the new move animations to Essentials. It's pretty much the last big thing I wanted to do before the next release.
Awesome man cant wait for this. :D
Old June 15th, 2013 (01:24 PM).
Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!

Nature: Relaxed
Working on a little original concept, a small RPG, using Allegro. Gathered a small team already (not nearly enough to get going tho ahah), got a very sketchy engine running.

Sponsored Links