Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 13th, 2014 (01:06 PM).
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

I'm having a poke around with the trainer AI in Essentials at the moment. It could be so much better.
Old February 17th, 2014 (11:11 PM).
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Spoiler:

Waaaiiit...

Spoiler:

Waaaiiit for it...

Spoiler:

Just a bit longer...

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Code:
	method setEffortValues (EvHP, EvAttk, EvDef, EvSpAttk, EvspDef, EvSpd)
	{
		EffortValue["HitPoints"] = EvHP
		EffortValue["Attack"] = EvAttk
		EffortValue["Defense"] = EvDef
		EffortValue["SpAttack"] = EvSpAttk
		EffortValue["SpDefense"] = EvSpDef
		EffortValue["Speed"] = EvSpd
	}
Nothing fancy at all, I was bored today and I felt like dipping my feet into RPG Toolkit. This is just a portion of what I have been doing, kind of a teaser for some of you I suppose.

I am not sure what will come of it all, but I know that another starter kit was something I was wanting to start getting into (it was discussed in another thread) and today I kind of just wanted to play around in something simple since I am really poor with programming languages. RPG Toolkit is pretty simple and I figured it was a good place for me to start just playing around and starting something from scratch and organize it so it is actually readable... so many things in Essentials make my eyes burn (Love Maruno has patched a number of things up).

I would not bank on this ever becoming a Starter Kit for RPG Toolkit, but it is something I am working on that is both fun and somewhat constructive... in a roundabout way.

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old February 18th, 2014 (12:31 AM). Edited February 18th, 2014 by khkramer.
khkramer

I'm currently working on making my game work with ARC.
ARC implements most functionality from RPG Maker but with much better performance.

edit: I also just a made a quick daily raffle script.

Check out the MMORPG I'm developing:

• Trading • PvP • Co-Op
Old February 20th, 2014 (07:39 AM).
jjf3

I am working on a couple of maps. Overlord Maps, 2 region maps, custom tiles, buildings etc...
Also working on storyline main characters names etc...

I have one route completed in my game so far. I wonder what percentage of my game is actually complete? For now, I'd just say, .01% lolz
Old February 20th, 2014 (03:55 PM).
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
I've been fiddling with Game Maker, and made a Flappy Bird Clone.

Not sure if I'll actually release it to play.
Since it's a bad game anyway. :l

Just strollin' to my next destination...
Old February 20th, 2014 (06:59 PM).
Sales_Kital
Champion of Sinnoh

Send a message via Skype™ to Sales_Kital
I'm currently drawing out the Grass Starter line for my Pokemon fan-game, having a few issues with figuring out how I should draw part of it so it looks good, but I'm still trying.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old February 20th, 2014 (11:18 PM).
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

A Little Sumthin' Sumthin'

So what this is, is a little project I am working on. After thinking about the options we have available to members in this section, I really was wishing we had more to offer those wanting to start in Pokemon Game Development.

One of the things I feel that sets us back from ROM Hacking, is the ability for people to actually pick up a intact region. With ROMs, your entire world is already build for you and that helps reduce a lot of work load in the grand scheme of things.

My goal right now is to present a Generation 4 Starter Kit for Pokemon Essentials. This kit will feature a detailed collection of OW sprites and tiles from the 4th Gen, as well as a Gen 4 intro for people to begin working on a Gen 4 style game. The Sinnoh Region will be as rebuilt as possible, offering developers a pre-built world they can fill with NPC's and their story. The goal for this project is to help reduce production time for many developers by giving them a pre-built, lore friendly world. This will be my primary project for the next few weeks

Old February 21st, 2014 (01:33 AM).
tImE
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Worldslayer608:

So what this is, is a little project I am working on. After thinking about the options we have available to members in this section, I really was wishing we had more to offer those wanting to start in Pokemon Game Development.

One of the things I feel that sets us back from ROM Hacking, is the ability for people to actually pick up a intact region. With ROMs, your entire world is already build for you and that helps reduce a lot of work load in the grand scheme of things.

My goal right now is to present a Generation 4 Starter Kit for Pokemon Essentials. This kit will feature a detailed collection of OW sprites and tiles from the 4th Gen, as well as a Gen 4 intro for people to begin working on a Gen 4 style game. The Sinnoh Region will be as rebuilt as possible, offering developers a pre-built world they can fill with NPC's and their story. The goal for this project is to help reduce production time for many developers by giving them a pre-built, lore friendly world. This will be my primary project for the next few weeks
That sounds really awesome man!
Give me a shout if you're in need of any help!

As for me, I'm currently in the progress of making general NPCs, Trainers and small events from Route 9 through Lavender Town through Celadon City.
I ended up postponing my demo to add more content and gameplay time.
I'll be aiming for a release once everything up til getting the Rainbow Badge is done!
Old February 21st, 2014 (06:37 AM). Edited February 21st, 2014 by Saving Raven.
Saving Raven
#BAMFPokemonNerd

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
After Worldslayer608 had told me his plan for Base essentials kits, I was inspired to start working on a Unova kit in the same respect as his Gen 4 kit

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old February 21st, 2014 (11:51 AM). Edited February 21st, 2014 by jjf3.
jjf3

Quote originally posted by Worldslayer608:

Seems like a good goal. Poke Essentials is just fine for my needs. I am remaking the maps of Generation III to fit the USA. It's funny you say that the entire world on the ROM is a good thing, not so in my situation. I think there is too much going on in an already completed ROM. Too much deleting!!! Better for me to just start out with a basic Poke World and add on from there. Good luck tho.

Let me know what you think of my idea. I keep you all updated on the progress with this thread as well.

I just thought of a political themed storyline for my game. This may be good enough as is, but as always with hacking/writing I usually end up changing a lot of stuff but I think the main idea is there now!

Storyline:

The US Government is at a standstill. Why? Political discussions about the ethics and rights of Pokemon have become increasingly unstable. Some far left political groups have come up with the silly idea that all Pokemon should be free. They feel Pokemon should only stay with a trainer unless it wants to. 95% of American celebrities support this cause and use their money and power to talk about this any time any where. There are some on the far right who use Pokemon for profit, and profit only! This is not much talked about but it is happening. It is rumored that Bill Gates, the legendary creator of the PC system uses Pokemon to keep his millionaire status. As Bill got richer off his system the rumors turned into accusations and now a Congressional investigation has raised some eyebrows in the Government. Even worse, Congress has accused Bill of using ancient Pokemon power inside his legendary Backyard to keep his software company (Microsoft) running at optimal levels. Bill Gates has been running a ruthless media campaign bashing the government citing a liberal agenda, and suggesting that it’s all false accusations and slander. You were a 12 year old computer hacker selected by the government to figure out what Bill is up to, infiltrate his backyard and bring justice to the world. But watch out for the Paulbots (Team Rocket) they like to cause anarchy everywhere they go!

*Note Bill Gates is a far left liberal in real life!!!! Any names, places, and public figures are not associated w/or endorses Pokemon USA.

I like the idea of Bill's Backyard/Garden since that was one of my favorites in the anime. Also since a guy named Bill has already made the PC in the real pokemon games, I thought why not??

Basically, there will be Liberals and Conservatives telling you how they feel about certain issues (in the Poke world) as they are battling you.
Old February 21st, 2014 (12:49 PM).
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by jjf3:
Seems like a good goal. Poke Essentials is just fine for my needs. I am remaking the maps of Generation III to fit the USA. It's funny you say that the entire world on the ROM is a good thing, not so in my situation. I think there is too much going on in an already completed ROM. Too much deleting!!! Better for me to just start out with a basic Poke World and add on from there. Good luck tho.
Deleting NPC's in ROM Hacks is easier than mapping out an entire region from scratch. The object here is to provide the maps of the region in the Gen 4 tileset and compile the sprites and other graphics in the graphics folder for people to have, not actually place them on the maps. This allows people to just add this download to their Essentials folder and presto! Sinnoh is available for them to construct their game within.

Quote:
Let me know what you think of my idea. I keep you all updated on the progress with this thread as well.

Spoiler:
I just thought of a political themed storyline for my game. This may be good enough as is, but as always with hacking/writing I usually end up changing a lot of stuff but I think the main idea is there now!

Storyline:

The US Government is at a standstill. Why? Political discussions about the ethics and rights of Pokemon have become increasingly unstable. Some far left political groups have come up with the silly idea that all Pokemon should be free. They feel Pokemon should only stay with a trainer unless it wants to. 95% of American celebrities support this cause and use their money and power to talk about this any time any where. There are some on the far right who use Pokemon for profit, and profit only! This is not much talked about but it is happening. It is rumored that Bill Gates, the legendary creator of the PC system uses Pokemon to keep his millionaire status. As Bill got richer off his system the rumors turned into accusations and now a Congressional investigation has raised some eyebrows in the Government. Even worse, Congress has accused Bill of using ancient Pokemon power inside his legendary Backyard to keep his software company (Microsoft) running at optimal levels. Bill Gates has been running a ruthless media campaign bashing the government citing a liberal agenda, and suggesting that it’s all false accusations and slander. You were a 12 year old computer hacker selected by the government to figure out what Bill is up to, infiltrate his backyard and bring justice to the world. But watch out for the Paulbots (Team Rocket) they like to cause anarchy everywhere they go!

*Note Bill Gates is a far left liberal in real life!!!! Any names, places, and public figures are not associated w/or endorses Pokemon USA.

I like the idea of Bill's Backyard/Garden since that was one of my favorites in the anime. Also since a guy named Bill has already made the PC in the real pokemon games, I thought why not??

Basically, there will be Liberals and Conservatives telling you how they feel about certain issues (in the Poke world) as they are battling you.
Going to skip this part, as this is not the place for it.

Old February 21st, 2014 (09:45 PM).
th3shark
Develops in AS3/C++

Right now I'm finishing up maps for a town and a large cave. Also coded the classic rock-pushing puzzle mechanic into Evoas' custom engine, while thinking of new ways to use it.

Soon I'll start working on Evoas' first "dungeon", full trainers that use pokemon of one or two types, puzzles, a lead trainer, and a boss battle! The setting will be the HQ of Toxic Org, a group that's sort of a parody of Team Rocket and Team Flare. These guys only serve to introduce the player to the concept of dungeons, and don't actually have any significance on the plot at all. The plan is to have Toxic Org be introduced, headquarters infiltrated, and organization dismantled all in one act. This approach will fit nicely if Evoas releases episodically, which is very likely to happen.
Old February 23rd, 2014 (07:02 AM).
venom12
Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to venom12
Working on new version of Pokemon Essentials DS based on Essentials v13, have to finish two things in that then i will have release.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old February 23rd, 2014 (05:33 PM).
PokeChallengeAccepted

Getting my feet wet in game maker and made a terribly frustrating game (release?)
Old February 27th, 2014 (11:31 AM).
jjf3

I have hashed out more of the storyline. Hand Drawn my map to actually see the connections and figure out which towns and cities I want to include. Also figuring out the routes was tough. Because America isn't the smallest country in the world. Lots of states are left out (but talked about)

Nailed down main characters and gym leaders. Figured out which pokedex I will use and which sprites I will use. I also found some cool tilesets and am going to start making some of my own once I get a little better at lining things up.

That and a lot of research is what I did all week.

If you guys are reading my blog, I'll make a more detailed post there tonight. So you can see what the story looks like now. I expect to have some sort of screenshots and stuff later next week.
Old February 27th, 2014 (09:26 PM).
Ratty524

Worked on the professor intro sequence two days ago, and made a vid to present it to the community I regularly visit.

Since this is the first time I've shown anything regarding my project on this board, I'll explain it. The game is called Pokémon: RMN Version, and it's a fan game featuring Pokémon designed by members of the rpgmaker.net community, including myself. It was an event similar to that of Pokémon Sage, though not as complicated in its set-up. I'm pretty much working on putting the game together based on submissions by members of our community. (I'm not sure if I should link the event page here since I can't remember this board's stance on linking to other sites and stuff)
Old March 2nd, 2014 (07:55 PM).
joeyhugg

Quote originally posted by Ratty524:

Worked on the professor intro sequence two days ago, and made a vid to present it to the community I regularly visit.

Since this is the first time I've shown anything regarding my project on this board, I'll explain it. The game is called Pokémon: RMN Version, and it's a fan game featuring Pokémon designed by members of the rpgmaker.net community, including myself. It was an event similar to that of Pokémon Sage, though not as complicated in its set-up. I'm pretty much working on putting the game together based on submissions by members of our community. (I'm not sure if I should link the event page here since I can't remember this board's stance on linking to other sites and stuff)
I like the gender select. Although, this can be done elsewhere with the outfit feature (if you're using Essentials). For instance, you could buy the "Tough" costume later in a boutique. But it's all up to you.
Old March 3rd, 2014 (01:19 PM).
Ratty524

Quote originally posted by joeyhugg:
I like the gender select. Although, this can be done elsewhere with the outfit feature (if you're using Essentials). For instance, you could buy the "Tough" costume later in a boutique. But it's all up to you.
Yeah, I'm aware of that.

I started the event sometime before version 13 of Essentials was released, and since I already had the player-select system decided by then I was pretty much like "ah screw it" and kept it like this anyway.
Old March 3rd, 2014 (11:01 PM).
Java's Missingno.
Notoriously Overscoped

Nature: Quiet
Presently I've been working with Unity's GUI scripting to try and make a reasonably sophisticated system to handle dialog in my game. Right now it kinda looks like something from the Persona series, though a little bit different in that it uses mouse controls rather than button and directional input.

Currently working on UNITE. Will create a thread when a playable demo is out.
Old March 15th, 2014 (10:48 PM).
Gamez_Console

Im working on Pokemon Spiritus Audentiae and what im working on in it is a bit of combat animation for bulbasaur.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/pokemon-spiritus-audentiae

Sing Us A Song Your The Piano Man!
Old March 30th, 2014 (08:35 PM).
pokefan41
RMXP Game Developer

I'm in the process of beginning the planning stages of a new game idea. Each of my previous projects had stalled because of time and current life situation. Also i kept running out of ideas after just a few maps were done. this time though i believe i have something that will be concrete enough for me to actually complete the game.

I'm at the moment not trying to do anything groundbreaking, just want to get a game done, and not feel like i have to include certain aspects like (must have a legendary before elite 4) or (must have a villain of some kind or else no one will play it?). Without giving too much away, I'd like to say i think this is a new take on the pokemon games that i don't think anyone else has done. If i get enough progress that i can properly post a thread i will, but for now, just know that in time, I might be showing a new game for you guys to enjoy.
Old March 31st, 2014 (01:38 AM).
Derxwna Kapsyla
X-Class Project, Derxwna, #003

Nature: Lax
Now that I've released Demo 3.1 of Touhoumon Faith & Prayer Version, I'm looking into taking a well deserved, and fully intentional, break on F&P this time. I may get back to work on my commissioned project, Touhoumon Underground, work some more on Touhou x Command & Conquer: War of the Rice, or I may even get back to work on my PyWright port of Shin Gyakuten Touhou/Aya Shameimaru: Touhou Attorney. Chance are it'll be Underground, with a mix of Phantasy Star Online 2 thrown in because I took a break from that to finish Demo 3 of Faith & Prayer.
For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
Game Projects:
In Progress:
Old March 31st, 2014 (06:00 PM).
White Raven
Working on The Mysterious Meteorite

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to White Raven
Everybody else is like, "I'm figuring out how to transfer the entire world onto a game," or, "I'm going to figure out how to add 1050 pokemon in one game." And I'm just here, sad and such.
And storyboarding. *sigh*. I wish I was better a computer stuff.
Old March 31st, 2014 (09:14 PM).
Derxwna Kapsyla
X-Class Project, Derxwna, #003

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by Jeannes.Thinkin:
Everybody else is like, "I'm figuring out how to transfer the entire world onto a game," or, "I'm going to figure out how to add 1050 pokemon in one game." And I'm just here, sad and such.
And storyboarding. *sigh*. I wish I was better a computer stuff.
Storyboarding is never a bad thing! It's always a good idea to draft out ideas, see what works, throw out what doesn't and replace it, wash rinse repeat. The basis behind any project - video game, written work, any type of media - requires story boarding to a large extent.
For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
Game Projects:
In Progress:
Old April 16th, 2014 (04:07 AM).
DDDchu
Gotta Aqua Jet fast

Nature: Bashful
If you have read the team recruiting thread, then you know what's going on here. I'll explain anyway if you haven't been to that thread to read my post.

-Making 3D models in Blender
-Exporting them to the steam file known as .smd
-Adding the ragdoll models to the steam workshop

Here's my progress. Fennekin:

Chespin:

The next few pokemon I'm going to try is Amaura and Aurorus, Xerneas, and Espurr
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links