The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: To what extent do you plan your team?
All 6 members 20 37.04%
A few of them (<5) 28 51.85%
None / just the starter. 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:56 PM
ProfGrove

Advertise here
I just got back into Pokemon and somewhat planned my team, followed the official strategy guide. They tell you to build a team around your starter for which I chose Snivy so I picked up Panpour to defend against Fire and a Sandile to defend against Electric. They give three adventure info's inside the guide for a Scrafty and Swoobat for the later battles in the game and a Patrat for catching Pokemon. So yes, I followed it to the point for Pokemon White Version, but won't for Pokemon White Version 2.
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Starry Windy
Chyaaaaaaa~
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
I usually planing which one will I choose as my starter Pokemon, and also planning a bird and water Pokemon to do HMs Fly and Surf.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old June 15th, 2013, 01:40 PM
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus

I like to mix it up when I start a new game. I generally pick a type I want on my team, then I think of the most balanced pokemon I can get from that type ingame as soon as possible, and catch it.

I do this in pretty much every game, but It's usually never the same pokemon.
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:26 PM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Nature: Jolly
I normally plan my first three of four Pokemon, then pick new ones up as I go towards the end. Then I'll hopefully have a powerful balanced team by the time I get to the Elite four and the champion. This strategy normally works well.
Old June 19th, 2013, 09:08 PM
molivious
so much fail...

Yeah. Basically, i just randomize what pokemon i'd use in this run. From a "NFE flying team" to "bug team" to "pokemon-i've-never-used team". I'm not really getting into starters until end-game, where i begin planning for their competitive battle's use. They end up there mostly anyways.

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.
Old June 20th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Ckbruin

Nature: Quirky
If I'm starting a new title, such as FireRed (which, yes, I have never played), I tend to just play it through without looking at a guide (unless I'm truly, truly stuck). Then the second time around, I plan out almost my entire team with the knowledge I've gained from the previous playthrough.
Old June 20th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Jak
@ dark eco

Nature: Timid
Yes, I do plan my teams. Not as strictly as I used to, though. When I was younger, I would write down every detail about the team I wanted. I think I may still have some sheets lying around. But yeah, I planned not only the team itself, but the moves, names, abilities, and even going as far to be picky with the gender. At least I didn't add nature into that mix, ugh. Nowadays, it's just the team. Sometimes I go through and plan out movesets, but not as strictly as back then.

Edit: Forgot to mention I used gel pens in coordination with what type that Pokemon was. Yeeeah.

Blood will have blood.
paired to klippy, mr. downstairs, and elheroeoscuro

Last edited by Jak; June 20th, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old June 20th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Yes, everything. Sometimes it takes me hours, or even a couple of days because I play these games more than once and want a little variety . I just started a new game on a HeartGold mod (SacredGold by Drayano), but not before over 5 hours of prep.
Old June 21st, 2013, 04:46 AM
nimbo
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nature: Naughty
I plan a few, usually three or four. I always try to get a fire, grass, water and electric but then after that it's usually whatever is cute and/or necessary.
Old June 21st, 2013, 07:04 PM
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
I always have some kind of idea of what I want my team to be. I like to write out an ideal team list. But... it usually never turns out the same way. Most of the time, I get attached to a pokemon I've caught that wasn't supposed to be on my team. Other times, I catch the pokemon I wanted on my team, but, for whatever reason, it doesn't feel right so I don't stick with it. I don't think there has been one time when I planned out a team and it ended up the way it was supposed to be.
Old June 21st, 2013, 08:27 PM
Sheraku

Nature: Quiet
I rarely if ever plan my Pokemon team. I discovered along time ago that if you train just one pokemon throughout any of the exsisting games, you can, and probably will beable to beat it. So I pick one Pokemon to train, and have 5 others with Pick Up. Then once I've beaten the League I'll go about and start focusing on more constructive teams with alot of Rare Candies and PP-Ups.
-Team Rocket Kumori Sheraku
Pokemon: Dissappearing Souls
-Corrupt Champion Tsuya Tougen
Pokemon: Hollow Shadows
-Mawile Knight Marek Reiketsukan
Monster Art Online [Remake]
-Grinder Tabris (Cody Martin Ascher)
Old June 21st, 2013, 10:08 PM
ProfGrove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraku View Post
I rarely if ever plan my Pokemon team. I discovered along time ago that if you train just one pokemon throughout any of the exsisting games, you can, and probably will beable to beat it. So I pick one Pokemon to train, and have 5 others with Pick Up. Then once I've beaten the League I'll go about and start focusing on more constructive teams with alot of Rare Candies and PP-Ups.
Lol, that's new to me, sort of funny.
Old June 24th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Olli
we keep this love in a photograph

I never really plan out my team beforehand. In certain games I'm already sure of which starter I want to choose, but that's not really as much planning as it is preference, however I always plan to catch the starter bird unless I'm doing some kind of challenge, so I guess that's the furthest my planning goes. Otherwise I just go on with the games and catch whatever falls in my interest and that I want to use on my team.

Very few times have I actually planned out a team beforehand, and I guess one of those would be with my most recent character on PokeMMO, where I caught several Pokemon that weren't accessible until after the E4 (Houndour, Mareep and Teddiursa if anyone was interested :p), traded them over to my new character, and just went on with the game. I'd already planned to catch a Pidgey and a Mankey, and I never got a sixth member. I didn't start using them until I'd finished the second gym though, since most of them were close to or over level 20, and I wanted to make sure I was far enough ahead with badges so they didn't just start ignoring me at some point, so I was only using Mankey and my Charmander for a while, which was gonna be replaced by Houndour afterwards :p But yeah, that's pretty much the only one I can remember.
Old June 24th, 2013, 08:10 PM
MAD31NCH1NA

I've always planned my full team, just a habit. Sometimes I'll just switch one out though, if I find something better.
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Dangelitus

I usually plain the pokemon for the quest.

In the first playtrough i tend to check on webpages or forums where are the best pokemon for the in -game, and based on that i choose the most of them.

In the games previous to the 5 gen, i choose in this way:

First pokemon: Better starter or more cool design for me (Usually choose the water type)

Second pokemon: A pokemon with pick up ability. This is a must for my games since third generation, i love the idea that my pokemon pick up random items while we travel.

Third pokemon: I always try to have at least one pokemon that can fly to travel fast between towns.

Fourth - Five: Pokemon that can cover my other members, usually i choose one poweful psychich, or a pysichal pokemon.

Six: Temporary and trough the game I tend to use a HM slave for the HM more useless like cut. But when i'm in front of the elite four, i change this pokemon for other that full my expectations.

In the most of the cases, my selection is influence by Appeal of the pokemon, type and powers =)
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Altair
Incognito

Nature: Brave
I've never planned my team in any games, just went with what comes my way, works for me! I wonder how many people would have similar teams and what a common in-game team would consist of...
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:55 AM
YukiKaru
Pika-Pika-PIKACHU! <3

I usually always have my starter preset.

R/B- Typically Charmander, but occasionally Squirtle.
G/S/C- Chikorita. ALWAYS. <3
R/S/E- Mainly Torchic.
D/P/Pt- I don't play Gen IV very much, but Piplup.
B/W- I've only played through once, but Snivy was useful.

As for the others, I usually try to find an Ice type somehow because they're good against Lance in Gen II.

Gen I's pretty straight forward. I usually pick up a Pikachu in Viridian Forest, and a Ghost type, and the Lapras you recieve in Silph Co.

Gen III's team usually has an Altaria somewhere--I love Dragon types. :3

And ALWAYS have a good Water and Flying type to learn Surf and Fly, respectively.

Oh, and get Mienfoo in Gen V. You'll thank me later.

Current Challenges:
~Gender Discrimination Challenge~

"I didn't know Vikings were still around!"
"They mostly live in Minnesota." -Ash

Eeveextreme Club Profile:

Username: YukiKaru
Partner Pokemon: Glaceon
Old June 28th, 2013, 12:27 PM
FennekinFox

Sometimes I plan my team, sometimes I don't. Like when I first played Black, I didn't plan the team at all. I just caught pokemon that I thought could work. In White 2, I somewhat planned my team. I bred 1 member and caught the pokemon I specifically wanted for the team. On Black 2 I planned the whole team and bred the whole team. On games before the 5th gen, I don't think planned the teams., I just caught pokemon that could be good for the team.

Will add my Black and SoulSilver FC later.
Old June 29th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
Just wondering but did anyone else find they didn't end up with a HM slave for the 5th gen games?

I found it extremely liberating. It was first time that all six pokemon on my team were proper team mates.
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:54 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

I always plan out my team before the game's release based on the trailers, but it sometimes changes whenever new Pokemon I like are revealed. I made sure I have the three core types (Grass, Fire, and Water) and most of the dominant types of the metagame (Fighting, Ground, Steel, and Dragon) on my team.
Old July 1st, 2013, 09:41 AM
Nomine
サトセレ

Nature: Calm
If I do, I plan very loosely. I always have one goal in mind whenever I'm making a team though: to have a Dragon or Ice type somewhere. Usually I'd pick 4-5 Pokémon and then just wing it after that.

My Role-Playing Twitter Accounts follow!
Writer
Brock
Calem
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:04 AM
Bobith
Tossin' balls since '99

Nature: Impish
I've been using the same few pokemon since gen1, so I guess I plan it to some extent, unless one of the pokemon I always use cannot be captured in the newer game.

Pokemon Clan Site/Strategy Guide/Other Thingies
Shuckle is love, Shuckle is life.
Old July 1st, 2013, 02:36 PM
Castform
The Snow Land Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
I'll plan on catching a few Pokemon or rather hope they find a spot on my team, but if I see something else or decide to fill up my team early I do that. I never plan out a full team in advance.

"Legends in snowy regions say that a woman who was lost on an icy mountain was reborn as Froslass."
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:04 PM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I usually have like a roughdraft of the team i want to have by the E4.
Until i can get them all, i might either try out a Pokemon I've never used before or just leave that spot empty

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:14 PM
JesterLegacy
Random Trainer

A starter is always in my part slot. As for the others, I can say that I don't plan much. I just take the ones that suit my taste. Well, if they don't fit my style after a while of trying, I'll just switch them.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here