The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Belldandy
ღ Cammybear ღ
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
So it has been confirmed through E3 that Sylveon, along with Gardevoir, Marill and Jigglypuff, are going to be classified as the new Fairy Type. It is supposedly Super Effective against Dragon types.

How do you think this will affect competitive balance in-game and online? Does it balance the game or make it worse?

How do you feel about such a late type addition? Was it needed? Do you personally feel it was necessary, or was the game fine as it was?

Do you like the name "Fairy" or is it too similar to the egg group "Fairy"? Should the type have been named something else i.e. Light? (Light vs. Dark)

What weaknesses do you think Fairy has, and what will it be strong against? Evidence suggests that it'll be strong to Ice as well as Dragon, but weak to Poison and Steel. Do you agree with this?

What other Pokemon need to be reclassified, in your opinion, to Fairy Type?

I'm hoping they add Clefairy to the Fairy Type classification. It just makes sense lol Snubull as well.

It's also nice to see that they're considering the abundance of Dragon Type Pokemon in competitive play (and just in general). Having only two weaknesses was quite limiting for end-game teams IMO so having a choice of Fairy, too (which may or may not have better powers / weaknesses aside Dragon) is nice.
My Trade Thread
Friend Safari: Munna, Gothorita, Espurr
Native Scatterbugs: Polar, Ocean, Sun

Last edited by Belldandy; June 11th, 2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I'm pretty happy with this! I'm hoping more Pokemon will be given the Fairy type such as Clefairy, Chimecho etc.

Old June 11th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Haza
☆A Life of Pokémon & Beyoncé ☆
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I'm annoyed that it's called FAIRY and not LIGHT, but anything that makes Poison and Steel types more powerful, and Dragon types less common I'm all for. I'm sure I'll be used to this eventually, but at the moment I can't help but to feel annoyed about the official name for the type.

Δloyisious Divo |Haza D'Ξvil
The poison that is always fatal... yet the stinger won't stop stinging
Twitter
Facebook
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:37 AM
causality

Nature: Docile
I knew it. There was just too much evidence to support it. Interesting to see Marril gaining Fairy typing. Its also apparant that they really are trying to nerf dragons. Hopefully the weakness to poison holds true as well, as poison types need a boost.
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:58 AM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belldandy View Post
So it has been confirmed through E3 that Sylveon, along with Gardevoir, Marill and Jigglypuff, are going to be classified as the new Fairy Type. It is supposedly Super Effective against Dragon types.

How do you think this will affect competitive balance in-game and online? Does it balance the game or make it worse?

How do you feel about such a late type addition? Was it needed? Do you personally feel it was necessary, or was the game fine as it was?

Do you like the name "Fairy" or is it too similar to the egg group "Fairy"? Should the type have been named something else i.e. Light? (Light vs. Dark)

What weaknesses do you think Fairy has, and what will it be strong against? Evidence suggests that it'll be strong to Ice as well as Dragon, but weak to Poison and Steel. Do you agree with this?

What other Pokemon need to be reclassified, in your opinion, to Fairy Type?

I'm hoping they add Clefairy to the Fairy Type classification. It just makes sense lol Snubull as well.

It's also nice to see that they're considering the abundance of Dragon Type Pokemon in competitive play (and just in general). Having only two weaknesses was quite limiting for end-game teams IMO so having a choice of Fairy, too (which may or may not have better powers / weaknesses aside Dragon) is nice.

All I know its screws my Chomp something fierce. I hope Chansey gets up in this class tho. Depending on who the weakness are . Now theres the risk of an 8X weakness
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Paradise3
Unhatched Egg

This is gonna make things confusing... Well I'm glad I have more choices than Ice, Dragon, and Steel for Dragon counters... lol I guess Dragon was getting a bit overpowered (like Gen 1 Psychic, hence Dark and Steel)...

I wonder if it will resist Dragon, like Steel does, or only be super effective like Ice... It'd be nice to have something that resists Dragon, AND is also super effective.
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:03 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies

Nature: Mild
God I hate the idea of fairy as a type... I feel as though it is going to really mess with my head learning a new type.

I am glad that poison is getting a boost, but what were thinking making ice weak to it? Now we'll need ANOTHER new type to balance ice out >.>

Suffice to say I think this is the worst decision they have made yet, I'm just hoping all the good things about X and Y balance this out.
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
Call me a purist but I would have hoped that they'd leave the types alone, but then again, Dragon needs to be knocked down a peg. Only problem is, I don't see anything from that list that can be a threat competitively. But that's all out the window now, I guess. :/
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
I'm absolutely okay with this. Of all the new type theories and speculations that have been going on for so long, I was on board with the "Fairy-type" the most. It's going to take some getting used to, especially with some of the older Pokémon changing, but I like the addition of having a new type and what it means for competitive play and battling in general.

It will certainty make things all the more interesting. I just wonder how strong of a type it will be compared to the others. It's nice that Poison if getting a boost though since it's one that needs it the most.
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:14 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies

Nature: Mild
I'm still not a fan about this but after watching the trailer and thinking on it a bit I am slightly more okay with fairy. I just wished they had left the older pokemon alone (okay clearly cleffairy will be changed which makes sense).
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Sandshrew4
Also known as Sandwich

Nature: Careful
I personally don't like it. I'm not entirely sure why, but it bugs me.
I don't like the name, and how's a fairy gonna do damage to a dragon?
That's just me though...
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Sverige
#justiceforbionic 11.11.13

I can cope with this, but I hope there are plenty of new Fairy-type Pokemon to win us over.
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:28 AM
latioslegends
What worries you masters you

Nature: Quirky
I'm all for a new type and all, especially one that helps out balance the more competitive pokemon like Salamence, Latios, and Garchomp, but must it be called fairy?

It seemed most predictions would've had it coined as a light type. Probably would've suited the opposite dark type very well.

D/P FC 4596-6614-8172
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Archeops12354
Smoochum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandshrew4 View Post
and how's a fairy gonna do damage to a dragon?
How is bug good against dark?
How is psychic good against poison?

It's Pokemon logic, get used to it. I know I already am.

Gen 6.
Belldandy
ღ Cammybear ღ
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
I think people are thinking of delicate fairies and monstrous dragons when it comes to types.

IMO the advantage / disadvantage is just a mythical thing. Both are mythical creatures in legend and lore. It doesn't go any further than the idea that a mythical creature would be strong against another mythical creature. Also supports Dragon Type being SE against Fairy, but we'll see.

A bit off-topic, but it's a bit like in South Park where only an immortal can kill another immortal i.e. Kenny vs. Chtulu God.
My Trade Thread
Friend Safari: Munna, Gothorita, Espurr
Native Scatterbugs: Polar, Ocean, Sun
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Mr. Crocker is so going to have a field day with this.

Anyway, the new type is so interesting, and I'm glad Dragons got nerfed a bit. Moonblast and Fairy Wind are interesting too.

In competitive terms, assuming that Fairy resists Dragon too, Azumarill just may become a neat Kingdra check.

Old June 11th, 2013, 07:35 AM
BUKKØW

Nature: Brave
Love this will def see an increase in some old favorites if they're retyped fairy like blissey, clefairy, togepi, and audino.

3DS FC: 5429-9023-9555
Current Shinys: NONE
FRIEND SAFARI:
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
I'm pretty happy with the Fairy type.

Hopefully the poison type will be strong against Fairy.
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
(the following sentence is just an assumption, take it with a grain of salt)

At least, hopefully, haxorus would drop to UU because of this. Hydreigon might drop too, but we'll see. Depends on the fairy types this generation, really.

That being said though, I definitely support this. People are throwing their cans (what a creative way of saying "flipping their ****") over stuff that isn't even confirmed yet (i.e the whole fairy is weak to poison thing). Fairy isn't even confirmed to be immune to dragon, so we don't know if it's a true dragon-nerf or not.
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Azure Rathalδs
the power within
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Sooooooooo disappointed. Fairy is such a effeminate name and should have been called Lunar or Magic type.

Having it be a Dragon type check is stupid and make the game feel very 'kiddy'. 'Oh look, the magical fairies defeat the ferocious dragon.' Eat me GF, somehow you're making worse design decisions than the gen 5 games did.

I'm not against having a dragon type check at all, (Ice doesn't count as 90% of dragon-type pokemon can learn fire type moves) but choosing the fairy type was a laughable decision because it doesn't make sense.

Last edited by Azure Rathalδs; June 11th, 2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: lol servers
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Mithel_Celestia
Alluring Illusion

Nature: Modest
Statswise, Im not sure where it stands. I feel it will act like Bug types with a low overall stat compared to other types. The new type name is annoying but it was inevitable. The name strikes me as odd and if a guy/boy likes the type like how I like Dark-types...lets just not imagine what others would react to that.

Trainer Data:
Full Name: Mithel "Myth" Celestia
Hometown: Lacunosa Town
Trainer class: Ranger, Psychic, Deceiver*
Specializes in: Dark, Psychic-Types

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:01 AM
reshilegend
Let's find the key we've lost

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to reshilegend
I guess the main idea of fairy being super effective against dragon is using the moon's power or something like that. There's even a move called moon blast and this picture on the official site.
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:09 AM
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Para-Dox View Post
Sooooooooo disappointed. Fairy is such a effeminate name and should have been called Lunar or Magic type.

Having it be a Dragon type check is stupid and make the game feel very 'kiddy'. 'Oh look, the magical fairies defeat the ferocious dragon.' Eat me GF, somehow you're making worse design decisions than the gen 5 games did.

I'm not against having a dragon type check at all, (Ice doesn't count as 90% of dragon-type pokemon can learn fire type moves) but choosing the fairy type was a laughable decision because it doesn't make sense.

Light-type is actually the best dub name for it... The dub team is stupid though and they always mess this stuff up for us...

Old June 11th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Passenger
Retired
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Seriously...? Fairy...? Say what you want. I am truly disappointed.
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:19 AM
-Sasuke-
ダッジアベンジャ

Well i like it. Reminds me of fairy tail, since dragon slayers kill dragons. Maybe they got it from there. lol
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links