Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Old June 11th, 2013 (11:27 AM). Edited June 11th, 2013 by Katamari.

Nature: Sassy
Quote originally posted by Rivvon:
I'm taking the news better than I thought I would. Now I'm just wondering why the official site says Jigglypuff is Normal/Fairy. I'd have thought it would become pure Fairy, but maybe that's just me.

And Marill, well...I hope Azuril stays Normal, that way it evolves into completely different dual types xD
Literally my exact reaction, down to wondering why Jigglypuff isn't pure Fairy.

I, for one, am starting to LOVE this. So they're getting a little mythic on us, it's better than sticking to the same exact formula for 15+ years. They're really testing the waters with this game, and I like it.

My initial reaction was just "ugh no" but now that I'm getting used to it, Fairy is definitely one of my favorite types already. The typing weaknesses/advantages were already announced a while ago in a Japanese video (maybe Pokemon Smash? Idk) when they were trying to guess Sylveon's type by what it was weak/strong against and it definitely works as a check and balance type.

As for fairies being too effeminate, just no.

Also,
Strong against Ice
Strong against Dragon
Weak to Poison
Weak to Fighting
[via Pokemon Smash]
Old June 11th, 2013 (11:36 AM).
☆A Life of Pokémon & Beyoncé ☆
Crystal Tier

Nature: Naughty
I really hope they mix it up. Like, I want Pokemon that are Fairy types but aren't pink, adorable, or feminine. I hope they can toy with the darker possibilities of the type... hmm Dark/Fairy type maybe? But I do hate say Fairy. It sounds so... old timey. I really wish we could talk them into translating it to "Light". It sounds more universal and can still cover all of the same characteristics.

Δloyisious Divo |Haza D'Ξvil
The poison that is always fatal... yet the stinger won't stop stinging
Twitter
Facebook
Old June 11th, 2013 (11:46 AM).
well
Gold Tier

Imagine if there was a Light/Dark Pokemon. What an amazing combo that would of been. So many possibilities there for a great story there for a legendary.

I guess "Fairy" is ok, but I still prefer the sound of "Light" to be honest. Oh well, the name isn't going to make much difference in gameplay. Thank god GF took a step against Dragon aha
Old June 11th, 2013 (11:54 AM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
I hope that they'll later elaborate more on the changes to the type chart in the Q&A. I want to know what Fairy is weak to, and if it's strong against anything else, of course it may simply be what the rumor said...
Old June 11th, 2013 (12:09 PM).
Queen of Espurr

Nature: Naughty
Granbul, it should get it bcause its a "Fairy" pokemon (says it right in the dex)
Arseus is going to get a Fairy form due to his ability and I will be refering to "fairy" as "Navi" because its funny (Navi plate )
Old June 11th, 2013 (12:10 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Escalibor:
Long time pokemon fan, I see a lot of people saying fairy type is the end all "Dragon Slayers", but really think about it...statistically dragon types have the highest base stats. If you look at potential fairy type pokemon...they have subpar base stats.
Yes, the fairy Pokemon that we know about already, don't have the best base stats, and would be knocked out by any (or most) dragon type Pokemon. However, we can't assume that ALL fairy type Pokemon are going to be sub par; after all, we've only seen a few fairy type Pokemon so far.

There's probably going to be at least one new fairy type Pokemon that would be above par, but won't be a legendary Pokemon.
Old June 11th, 2013 (12:17 PM).
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier

It's nice that it's weak to poison, always good to see that type get a buff. But fighting is strong enough already, it kills ice and faerie? Haxorus with brick break is must now i see.
Old June 11th, 2013 (12:18 PM).

I was surprised Clefairy wasn't showcased as being a Fairy type Pokemon but maybe they only wanted to demonstrate a few of the Fairy types that will be in these new games.
Old June 11th, 2013 (12:23 PM).

Nature: Quirky
Fairy sounds a bit too squeamish to be considered a type...it should really be named Light, imo. I believe that Fairy is unnecessary to "balance" Dragon types, because Dragon is only super effective against one type - itself. While this is the case, I also realize that Dragon is very OP if it has high Attack and the move Outrage (which benefits from STAB), but Steel types could easily counter this with its normally-massive Defense and resistance to Dragon. (and even Rock-types, if the Defense stat is high enough) Some Pokemon can tank Dragon moves, while others can outspeed them, but the main point is to be able to land an Ice move on Dragon-types, as most are 2x or 4x weak against it, and their Sp. Def. stat is usually low.

Moving away from "Why I don't want it" to "What it should be"...as mentioned it's super effective against Dragons, which is okay I guess. Maybe I'll just sum up what I think it'll be in a list:
  • 2x effective against Dragon, Ghost* (was going to say Dark but Marriland makes a good point in saying 4x effectiveness would've outright fainted Hydreigon in the trailer)
  • 1/2x effective against Psychic*, ???
  • 2x damage from Poison and Dark* (good thing they balanced Poison now, though!)
  • 1/2x damage from Ghost*, ???
* = my speculation

Obviously I'm just making speculation (not great ones anyway), but regardless, this new typing will change type effectiveness for further generations to come. This new type seems to be strongly based on folklore and I would like to see what kinds of Pokemon will be classified as this new type (other than what's already mentioned: Gardevoir (Psychic/Fairy?), Jigglypuff, Marill (Really? Water/Fairy? or just Fairy only?), and Sylveon) Maybe add in the Togepi line and Cleffa line? I guess we'll all have to wait and see...
Old June 11th, 2013 (12:25 PM). Edited June 11th, 2013 by Actor.
I'm too old for this shit
Crystal Tier

I don't like how Fairy is super-effective towards Ice. While Dragon does have at least a reason to it (doesn't excuse it from being really stupid), this just makes the already faltering Ice type even weaker.

Hopefully they'll do something such as making Ice types super effective towards Water or another common type, as the future looks rather grim for them.

I still am no fan of this new type, but I'm happy GF is at least attempting to try and add types to the games. I do like how many old pokemon are receiving this new type compared tot he last time they put in typing in gen II when only two pokemon got a new type.

I don't like how Fairy is super-effective towards Ice. While Dragon does have at least a reason to it (doesn't excuse it from being really stupid), this just makes the already faltering Ice type even weaker.

Hopefully they'll do something such as making Ice types super effective towards Water or another common type, as the future looks rather grim for them.

I still am no fan of this new type, but I'm happy GF is at least attempting to try and add types to the games. I do like how many old pokemon are receiving this new type compared tot he last time they put in typing in gen II when only two pokemon got a new type.
Old June 11th, 2013 (12:31 PM).

Nature: Calm
Well I actually agree with a new type that counters dragons, even though it has been like 4gens since the last adition of new types (I think steel and dark were the last ones right?).

On the name... Well I think it makes sense the fairy thing, you know, a magical creature fighting a beast or something actually has a point, but if is like that, Magic type would be better.

I don't know why everybody is sayin' "Oh Light would be best, oh fairy is for cloysters". Like, common, what is goig to do light to a ****ing dragon? They are almost elemental pokémon!!! They can learn moves from almost all types!!! I'm pretty sure they would also learn light type moves.

I think fairy type is ok, but magic would be the best.
My blog: "You know... that guy". Why don't you take a look at it? Just started it and if you have suggestion for any subject for me to write about I will gladly considerate it and give my thoughts on it!

yknowdatguy.blogspot.com
Old June 11th, 2013 (12:33 PM). Edited June 11th, 2013 by Blue.
we're beautiful now ♪
Platinum Tier

The Pokémon I'd like to see gain a Fairy Type would be:

Togepi and it's evolutions
Clefairy and it's evolutions for obvious reasons
Finneon and Lumineon cause, well idk they seem to fit into that category and I really like these two
Mawile because there's been a lot of speculation around it becoming part Fairy type

Togepi and it's evolutions cause they generally look like fairies... in a way
Finneon and Lumineon cause, well idk they seem to fit into that category and I really like these two
Mawile because there's been a lot of speculation around it becoming part Fairy type
Old June 11th, 2013 (12:38 PM).
pin pin

I just really can't wait for them to explain why this type exists.
Old June 11th, 2013 (12:49 PM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
I'm a little disappointed that Fairy is SE against Dragon so really that's the only reason for me to dislike it right now. I may not use Fairy types due to this little fact alone. Hope they make Fairy weak to Steel just to keep the Folklore in tact.

Maybe CoroCoro will give us more on the type.
Old June 11th, 2013 (12:50 PM).
Ya'll Are Weird
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
I like the idea. :) I wonder if it'll essentially play out the way I always imagined a "cosmic" type, especially considering some of these age old fairies have moonstone evolutions. The new Eevee thing had some sort of moon attack, I'm all for giving space themed moves to the Fairy type. I mean, how else do you explain that? Aside from cosmic power, I dunno. It sure isn't Psychic and it definitely isn't "Normal".

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old June 11th, 2013 (01:06 PM).
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier

Manaphy and phione has to be faerie no matter what. Same goes for Shaymin. But what about Jirachi and Celebi, and even Mew? They're all pretty faerie like. Shaymin and Celebi are grass faeries as much as Marill is a water faerie.
Old June 11th, 2013 (01:25 PM).
Maybe she's born with it
Silver Tier

Nature: Naive
I'm personally pretty excited for the new fairy type, it's nice to switch things up after while. Also to everyone who are complaining about there being no light type as an opposite to the dark type, it's probably because the dark type is called "evil" in the Japanese games and their counterpart are the fighting type Pokemon which apparently stands for Justice.

Also I doubt this is all the information about the Fairy type, we'll probably get more information about its weaknesses and strengths later. I'm also willing to bet that those won't be the only Pokemon to have the new fairy type added on, so please stop freaking out about how so and so wasn't stated as a fairy type.

3DS Friend Code: 5155 - 3990 - 6891
Old June 11th, 2013 (01:36 PM).
The Breaker

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by Suicune™:

Togepi and it's evolutions cause they generally look like fairies... in a way
I'm not sure if Togetic and Togekiss will be receiving Fairy typing, though. As they're already dual-typed. Jigglypuff, Gardevoir, and Marill were only mono-typed.

I agree with some of your choices. These are the ones I think have a high chance of being given Fairy typing.

Igglybuff-Jigglypuff-Wigglytuff
Cleffa-Clefairy-Clefable
Mawile
+
Subbull-Granbull
Happiny-Chansey-Blissey
Whismur-Loudred-Exploud
Audino
Azelf-Mesprit-Uxie

Arceus (Fairy plate)

Others that come to mind are already dual-typed... or I think only have a low chance, like these...

Wynaut-Wobbuffet
Bellossom
Mienfoo-Mienshao
Skitty-Delcatty
Drowzee-Hypno
Chingling-Chimecho
Old June 11th, 2013 (01:48 PM).

Nature: Calm
I like that new type, ok it is going to make Dragon types weaker but ok. :\ haha
well, I liked Sylveon that it is a new type and all but the fact that they changed the types of old Pokemon irks me. I don't know why. Maybe because it is going to be awkward in the anime. I mean, how are they going to explain that those old Pokemon Ash has ecountered in the past are now different type? Maybe because of the region? I don't know, I think they should have just designed new Pokemon for that purpose.

Although, Gardevoir is going to be in my team. It is going to be strong in this game lol

Pokémon X
Friend Safari:
Type: Fire.
Pokémon: Slugma, Magmar & Braixen.
Old June 11th, 2013 (01:53 PM).
Gold Tier

Dragon kind of needed a check. Overall, Im happy with this confirmation and I think it' cool that we are getting a new type, I personally see nothing bad about it. I just hope it isnt really SE to Ice :l
Old June 11th, 2013 (02:02 PM).

But how? they predict it right! even the type name.

I don't think Maril fits to be fairy type.

I predict it will be also super effective against dark.
Old June 11th, 2013 (02:07 PM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Quote originally posted by HyperXhydra:
But how? they predict it right! even the type name.

I don't think Maril fits to be fairy type.

I predict it will be also super effective against dark.
It didn't one shot Hydreigon, chances are it isn't SE to Dark since it still did massive damage to Salamence and Haxorus.

Also is normal damage to Flying so we can rule out offensive capabilities against Flying.
Old June 11th, 2013 (02:09 PM).
Magnificent Turnip

Quote originally posted by Para-Dox:
Sooooooooo disappointed. Fairy is such a effeminate name and should have been called Lunar or Magic type.
This.

In most other things, I'm more or less fine. Fairy, though? They couldn't come up with a better name than fairy!?

Fair enough, there are reasons why it isn't called light type, (which makes more sense to an English eye) but FAIRY? There were still things like lunar, cosmic, magic, arcane, mana, uh... wizard, special... super? Ok, those last few were longshots, but there's still lots more if you think about it. And besides; for me, a fairy was just a BUG/PSYCHIC - don't tell me I'm alone here.

Heck, even pixie type might have been better. Ugh, it's just a really naff name, alright? It probably won't change, anyhow.

Old June 11th, 2013 (02:18 PM).
bigjon357

Angel would be cool to see
Old June 11th, 2013 (02:30 PM).
death by TRUST NO ONE suicide
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by True Epicness:
This.

In most other things, I'm more or less fine. Fairy, though? They couldn't come up with a better name than fairy!?

Fair enough, there are reasons why it isn't called light type, (which makes more sense to an English eye) but FAIRY? There were still things like lunar, cosmic, magic, arcane, mana, uh... wizard, special... super? Ok, those last few were longshots, but there's still lots more if you think about it. And besides; for me, a fairy was just a BUG/PSYCHIC - don't tell me I'm alone here.

Heck, even pixie type might have been better. Ugh, it's just a really naff name, alright? It probably won't change, anyhow.
Thing is, when you say all of those names, it just doesn't sound like Pokemon. Fairy at least maintains a bit of the Pokemon "feel."

Eventually people will get used to it, methinks. I personally see no issue with the name. It doesn't roll off the tongue like Light, but Light and Fairy have drastically different implications, so it wouldn't quite make sense to say the two are interchangeable.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)