Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Old June 11th, 2013 (11:02 PM).
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
Does that mean Fairy Type moves would be ineffective at Day when Battling a Dragon type??? Because they just get the power from the moon????
Old June 12th, 2013 (12:04 AM).
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
Quote originally posted by alienhunterx:
Does that mean Fairy Type moves would be ineffective at Day when Battling a Dragon type??? Because they just get the power from the moon????
I really doubt that, would be pretty unfair if this was the case.

I'm still not sure how to feel about the type itself, but color me very interested.
Excited to see how it does against other types and what types are SE against fairy

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old June 12th, 2013 (12:28 AM).
Hound of Justice
Banned

Nature: Naughty
Fairy super effective against the divine Dragon type? lol fail
Old June 12th, 2013 (12:34 AM).
MarinoKadame

Fairy and Dragon are both mythical types that's maybe why they are counterpart.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old June 12th, 2013 (12:43 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Beside the fact that I don't really like the idea of new type... Fairy? Super effective against Dragon?
So you use cute little pokemon to obliterate legendaries?
Oh... wow.
Plz no Light type, though.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old June 12th, 2013 (01:29 AM).
CliCliW
I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.

Nature: Bashful
I'm not concerned about type matchups, but it seems like any cutesy-wutesy pokemon will be put into the fairy group now.

And the real matter at hand is: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY ON ARCEUS' GREEN EARTH MARILL, OF ALL THINGS, IS A FAIRY?!?!

Deceased:

Old June 12th, 2013 (03:02 AM).
curiousnathan
goodbye to the future

Nature: Mild
Yeah, I don't think I'll ever understand why Marill is a Fairy Type. I think we'll see now that most of the normal typed 'cutesy-wutesy' Pokemon will become dual typed Normal|Fairy, rather than completely Fairy.

All in all, I would have much preferred for it to be called 'Light', but I'm sure I'll get used to it as I did with most of the Gen V Pokemon that I wasn't quite fond of when they first were released.
Old June 12th, 2013 (03:17 AM). Edited June 12th, 2013 by awolfsquared.
awolfsquared
Not wearin glasses.I wanna look awesome.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
In response to all of those saying the Fairy is effeminate and makes no sense, this clears things up well. Or for me it did.
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Fairies_and_the_Fairy_Type

In many stories, fairies are mostly represented by mythical creatures who use magic. Magic is known to be strong against dragons. So to me it makes since that they're counterparts. I was more on the boat for Fairy being the new type and I like it. To me, Light or Sound or Magic or anything else makes no sense. Fairy fits it well. I'm now more ok with a new type than I was before. It balances the type chart out much more and making Dragon types more common and not so overpowered. And think about it, they've ,in a way ,used Umbreon, a then new Eeveelution, to introduce the Dark type , so it makes sense to me that they would use Sylveon to introduce a new type.

I'm not too surprised some older Pokemon got new typings and became part Fairy type. That's what happened in gen II when the Steel type was added and they made the Magnemite line part Steel. Why wouldn't do it again when introducing another type? It makes sense that Jigglypuff got retyped and I'm assuming it's pre evo and evo will too and Clefairy's will also become Fairy (or at least that's the sensible thing to do.). Gardevoir kind of makes sense since it's sor of fairy like and psychics are somewhat magical. It's odd that Marill is a Fairy type , but it could make Azumarill check out strong Dragon types like Hydreigon and make less overpowered. This new type will definitely change things up in competitive play.
Old June 12th, 2013 (03:20 AM).
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
Fairy might be over represented in XY to shore up the numbers. Marrill makes sense as a fairy, and he would be one of the better ones we know off.

I want to see a Fairy that looks like a dragon slayer. Probably would look like Sailor Moon Scouts. You know, Slyveon looks like a Sailor Scout.

MOON PRISM POWER
Old June 12th, 2013 (03:31 AM).
Okazaki~Tomoya
A place were dreams come true

Nature: Quiet
I'm not happy with this new type purely because i really did not want to see any changes to the types at all. They should have left it alone.
I dont care that dragons have a weakness to it although it hardly makes any sense.
But shouldnt fairy be a counter to something more in the group? Like Ghost? and having a weakness to dark?
Old June 12th, 2013 (06:50 AM).
Belldandy
♥ Cammybear ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Why does Marill make sense as Fairy Type? Because it "looks" the part stereotypically?

Why not Pikachu then? Or Sandshrew? They're both cute little mice Pokemon...

0_0 amagad Electric/Fairy Pikachuuuu. Won't happen because it's the mascot and that'd be a little too drastic, but still lol

FC: 4699-7283-5972; IGN: Irène, Etoile; Trade Shop; Trade Reviews
Old June 12th, 2013 (06:56 AM).
Blue
エルフーン
Community Supporter

Does that mean Azumarill will be part of the Fairy Type group too then? If not I can imagine a lot of people will prevent Marril from evolving and using an evolite on it to maximize it's power.
Old June 12th, 2013 (09:32 AM).
Hound of Justice
Banned

Nature: Naughty
Heh a crappy Marill pwning a Dragonite pokemon gne mad
Old June 12th, 2013 (09:45 AM).
Xander Olivieri

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
First off, type doesn't make the pokemon. They can add Fairy type to a lot but if they don't have decent stats to back it up, that pokemon will not make much of a difference.

Second, Marill is in the Fairy Egg Group isn't it? Don't see why not. Fairy may go the same relation route as Dragon between type and Egg Group. Some won't make much sense.
Old June 12th, 2013 (09:47 AM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Yeah, wonder if Pikachu, Clefairy (it has fairy in it's name, and has a relation to the moon!), and Chansey will become fairy as they belong to that group. And Audino too as it looks like a fairy to me.
Old June 12th, 2013 (10:21 AM).
Jigglymilk
Night Of The Final Day

Nature: Sassy
Love this new type. Thought it was an odd choice originally, but now I can't wait for it! I can see lots of amazing pokemon in the fairy class. Hoping Chansey, Clefairy, Snubbull, Togekiss, and maybe Bellossom gain this typing.
Old June 12th, 2013 (10:31 AM).
Bluerang1
pin pin

Did they explain why they added Dark and Steel back in Gen 2? Or was it like a these types always existed thing? Because I don't know why I was expecting an explanation(besides the balancing ish) for a Fairy Type. So it will be like Fairy type had always existed?

Also if they really wanted to balance the games, they'd give Electric types another weakness. At least Dragon has two. Poor Dragon types, the scape-goats.
Old June 12th, 2013 (10:38 AM).
MarinoKadame

You have all the potential pokemon that can have Fairy added to them here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Fairy_%28Egg_Group%29

Also it would be great if Gyarados and milotic get a second type added, Gyarados as Water/Dragon and Milotic as Water/Fairy and Marill line could be seen as counterpart of Horsea line where Kingdra is Water/Dragon

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old June 12th, 2013 (10:52 AM).
SetheKing
Budding Supervillain

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by MarinoKadame:
Also it would be great if Gyarados and milotic get a second type added, Gyarados as Water/Dragon and Milotic as Water/Fairy and Marill line could be seen as counterpart of Horsea line where Kingdra is Water/Dragon
Gyarados has a second type already. He is a Water/Flying type. Though I do kinda wish they would replace the Flying with Dragon (For him and for Charizard both).
Old June 12th, 2013 (10:55 AM).
The_Consumer

I wonder if they'll have a Fairy/Dragon type.

Marill doesn't look like a fairy, but then again, it doesn't look like water either..it is a bit strange for it to be fairy type though I guess.
Old June 12th, 2013 (11:14 AM).
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by MarinoKadame:
You have all the potential pokemon that can have Fairy added to them here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Fairy_%28Egg_Group%29

I would LOVE a Fairy-Dragon! Maybe the Y Legendary is one?

Milotic would make a great Fairy. It is base don a Mermaid right? Fairy-Game (*punz*)
Old June 12th, 2013 (11:25 AM).
JayTheKing
~~King Of Plegia~~

Quote originally posted by The_Consumer:
I wonder if they'll have a Fairy/Dragon type.

Marill doesn't look like a fairy, but then again, it doesn't look like water either..it is a bit strange for it to be fairy type though I guess.
I was thinking about Dragonite but i think it would make it overpowered unless fairy hits fairy with normal damage.

White 2:4814-8483-7594
3DS:4871 4138 8216
Friend Safari:Bug with Combee,Illumise and Heracross!
Old June 12th, 2013 (01:03 PM).
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
If it was called Light type it would give the impression that it was created to act against Dark types, but that's not the case. Fairy was literally just created to oppose Dragons, that part is obvious. I agree with their decision because Fairies and Dragons are both large parts of mythology. It also reminds me of Fairy Tail and Dragon Slayers. o3o

I'm okay with this as long as the fairies don't look like Jigglypuff and Sylveon and that new flower thing they revealed. And I hope they don't nerf the dragons TOO much.
Old June 12th, 2013 (01:12 PM).
Moist
other in a month When you,

Nature: Jolly
On a different(ish) topic, does that mean we get a Fairy type Arceus form?

I want an Arceus with cute little wings and it all pink.

Challenges Completed:
The Favourites Challenge - Black 2 - 28/01/13
Old June 12th, 2013 (01:13 PM).
Mr. X
For Money
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I'm kinda suprised that they didn't announce the Cleffa line as a fairy type.

I mean, logically this line would be one... Clefairy, it's stage one, has fairy in it's name. And it's also, in the dex, called the Fairy Pokemon.

Come play Runescape
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links