Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Old June 12th, 2013 (01:41 PM).
fullmetal
Silver Tier

Not a fan. I'm very against adding a new type in the first place though. Also, I fail to see why Fairy types are super strong against Dragons. I mean, I know Dragon types always have had an advantage over the other types, but Fairies? Really? Oh well.

“A lesson without pain is meaningless.
That’s because no one can gain without sacrificing something. But by enduring that pain and overcoming it, he shall obtain a powerful, unmatched heart. A fullmetal heart.”
Old June 12th, 2013 (01:47 PM).
Banana

It's sad to see how so many people fail to understand the concept of the Fairy type.
Well, when (if) you understand it, you will see that it wouldn't make much sense if fairies weren't strong against dragons...
Old June 12th, 2013 (01:53 PM).

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by Bluerang1:
Also if they really wanted to balance the games, they'd give Electric types another weakness. At least Dragon has two. Poor Dragon types, the scape-goats.
Just because a typing has less weaknesses doesn't mean it is automatically good.

The point with Dragons was that nothing properly resisted them. Steel types, sure, but who cares? All the dragons have Flamethrower/Earthquake to deal with that anyways. Dragons usually have crazy high BST/attack stats in general. Not to mention the types that are SE on Dragon are two of the most uncommon Pokemon types ever leaving it without much worry.

Electric type is way different. Ground is immune to it which is huge to stopping Electric Pokemon. There are also plenty of Pokemon that gain electric immunities through abilities like Motor Drive or Lightningrod. They are also usually defensively poor and can't take a hit worth anything, usually sacrificing all their stats for high speed and decent special attack. This is only good for Volt Switching or end-game sweeping, but not really a huge threat when playing competitively. Especially since about 200 Pokemon can learn Earthquake alone, which is a move that can usually 1hit ko any Electric type.
Old June 12th, 2013 (01:54 PM).
Yep, that's me
Silver Tier

Nature: Naughty
Fairy, I like it as in the Pokedex Android app is says:

Pichu Pikachu and Raichu are in the Fairy/Field egg group.

Could not be happier, I wonder what other things await us.

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
My favorite evolution series

Kiwi Land|Thunder Bolt Forums|ProBoards After Dark|New Zealand

Old June 12th, 2013 (01:56 PM).
Master of Infinite Darkness

Nature: Quirky
It makes perfect sense to add a new type as this seems to me to be the next stage of Pokemon. Just look at all the new features they've added, and that's just the leaked stuff.

I think people are just butthurt because of the name, so they instantly think of Grass Pixies and stuff. The original fairy folklore tells of winged demons stealing children at night and haunting the woods. Hell, most of the old Fairy Tales were much darker.

I'm calling it now, we will probably get a dual type Dark/Fairy pokemon.
Old June 12th, 2013 (02:06 PM).
Yep, that's me
Silver Tier

I have to agree.

O.o a Dark/Fairy Pokemon?? I want one!

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
My favorite evolution series

Kiwi Land|Thunder Bolt Forums|ProBoards After Dark|New Zealand

Old June 12th, 2013 (02:24 PM).
Throw a blanket over it!

Nature: Jolly
Well skin a potato and call me a banjo, I'm dumbfounded! I was convinced Sylveon was going to be a Normal Type. I'm quite happy with it, I love all the Fairy designs. They're cute and whimsical and all that stuff x3
Old June 12th, 2013 (02:30 PM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Quote originally posted by Bluerang1:
Did they explain why they added Dark and Steel back in Gen 2? Or was it like a these types always existed thing? Because I don't know why I was expecting an explanation(besides the balancing ish) for a Fairy Type. So it will be like Fairy type had always existed?

Also if they really wanted to balance the games, they'd give Electric types another weakness. At least Dragon has two. Poor Dragon types, the scape-goats.
They never explained in the games why either of them exist. Jasmin in the original pair called Steel "Newly discovered" but there was never any mentioning of Dark Type. They just sorta always been there. In the remakes, Jasmin's little bit about steel was removed. That was the only reference of a type being discovered.

Out side of the games, they were added to tone down Psychic and the Dragons coming in. Steel brought some heavy balancing, but Gen 2 did way more than just add new types, the type chart got a make over.

Bug's weakness to Poison was removed, and likewise Poison's weakness to Bug was removed.
Poison resisted Bug now.
Psychic was made weak to Ghost instead of Immune.
Fire was made to resist Ice.

5 moves may seem miniscule but they are what set our current Meta to what it turned out to be along with specific Pokemon having fairly abusive stats.

There is a chance they may do another Type chart shuffle with the new type addition just to further change the current Meta.
Old June 12th, 2013 (03:11 PM).
pin pin

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by XanderO:
They never explained in the games why either of them exist. Jasmin in the original pair called Steel "Newly discovered" but there was never any mentioning of Dark Type. They just sorta always been there. In the remakes, Jasmin's little bit about steel was removed. That was the only reference of a type being discovered.

Out side of the games, they were added to tone down Psychic and the Dragons coming in. Steel brought some heavy balancing, but Gen 2 did way more than just add new types, the type chart got a make over.

Bug's weakness to Poison was removed, and likewise Poison's weakness to Bug was removed.
Poison resisted Bug now.
Fire was made to resist Ice.

5 moves may seem miniscule but they are what set our current Meta to what it turned out to be along with specific Pokemon having fairly abusive stats.

There is a chance they may do another Type chart shuffle with the new type addition just to further change the current Meta.
Thank you very much!

So we can expect new types in the far future...
Old June 12th, 2013 (03:23 PM).

Gag me with a spoon (yes kids, the '80s...) but it's Pokemon logic so I'm just gonna roll with it. It just doesn't make sense. Why would they name the type Fairy?
Old June 12th, 2013 (05:47 PM). Edited June 12th, 2013 by TreeKangaroo.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The fairies they're referring aren't like let's say Navi. F1refly is right(even about original stories being dark. Like Cinderella, Hansel and Gretel and Rapunzel.) They have many legends behind them. Bulbapedia even told the dark myths of them!
Old June 12th, 2013 (06:20 PM).
♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥

Nature: Lonely
Fairy in eurpoean folktales aren't just the likes of Tinkerbell and pinky-whiny-girly sprite. Many fairies are crazy, incomprehensible, or just plain evil. In anyway, Fairy-type is much better represented many kind of Pokemon than Light-type. Fairy have much broader scope, and have represent better them that is magic. Gamefreak should make Pokemon like Snorunt, Glalie, Bannette, Shuppet, Chimecho, and the likes Fairy too.

Pokemon is a Japanese RPG Made By a Japanese Developer With Japanese Audience in Mind I tell You
Old June 12th, 2013 (07:15 PM).
Dreams take you higher ♥

I find it quite funny that something like Dragon, which sounds very tough, will be extremely weak to something called fairy, which on the other hand sounds extremely girly! Oh well, I am very curious about this type and its strengths and weaknesses.

Eeveelutions ♥
Old June 12th, 2013 (08:23 PM).
I'M AN ANGRY SCIENTIST!!
Super ModeratorEO

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
Quote originally posted by Toshiro.:
Not a fan. I'm very against adding a new type in the first place though. Also, I fail to see why Fairy types are super strong against Dragons. I mean, I know Dragon types always have had an advantage over the other types, but Fairies? Really? Oh well.
There was a good post elsewhere that addressed this. Fairy in mythology extends beyond the standard depiction (look at nymphs, elves, pixies, etc etc - a lot tie into this) - generally based off magical creatures. One could argue that this basis is why they would have power over Dragon types. Granted, this might not seem so apparently if you pit Jigglypuff against Haxorus, but then you could say that's on par to in theory Magikarp having advantage over fire types on typing alone. The typing doesn't mean they will beat dragons, just have an advantage. Stats and moves would need to back it up as well, and Ice Beam and steel types weren't cutting it by themselves, I suppose.

Quote:
On this particular note, I believe them being immune was a coding error...?

I'm interested in if in this case we will get a reason for Fairy types. As said, there was one for Steel in GSC (but not Dark); will they pretend it's normal, say it's newly discovered, or give a reason for it...?
Old June 12th, 2013 (09:28 PM).
Mega Houndoom, baby!

As long as it's not strong against Dark, I'm all for it.

Though I believe it has been mentioned one of its strengths is against Dark...

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
Old June 12th, 2013 (09:37 PM).
I'M AN ANGRY SCIENTIST!!
Super ModeratorEO

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
It has, but that source is not actually fully confirmed I believe. (Leaks aren't always 100% correct on all facts). Afaik all that we know for sure is that it is super effective against dragon.
Old June 12th, 2013 (10:52 PM).

Nature: Brave
Man how can that Marill be a fairy type as well that new Flower type Poke revealed yesterday???
Old June 12th, 2013 (11:17 PM).
a.k.a: ethan.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest
I think the perception of the new type would be quite different had they spelled it "Faerie". The old English spelling of words generally makes them seem more mystical and less contemporary. In brief, Faerie seems far less "Disney" than "fairy".
Old June 13th, 2013 (12:49 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
I'm really interested in Fairy Arceus. Wonder which plate will be used.
Not to mention its possibilities in competitive battling...

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old June 13th, 2013 (01:45 AM).
The Imminent Victor

Here's my thing, though. All of these people defending the Fairy-type with the Old World fables about sinister or mischievous faeries aren't really saying much about the Pokemon fairies, because they've all been cute and/or fairly graceful so far. Still waiting for the sinister and badass Fairy-type Pokemon...
Old June 13th, 2013 (01:58 AM).
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Quote originally posted by Powerserge:
Here's my thing, though. All of these people defending the Fairy-type with the Old World fables about sinister or mischievous faeries aren't really saying much about the Pokemon fairies, because they've all been cute and/or fairly graceful so far. Still waiting for the sinister and badass Fairy-type Pokemon...
True. CoroCoro was a missed opportunity to showcase a badass Fairy to win over heathens.

Disney Fairies are not all cute. Maleficent is a fairy with all the powers of Hell. Because some fairys just roll that way. Granted, that fairy also turned into a dragon. But it was a FAIRY DRAGON.
Old June 13th, 2013 (03:30 AM).

Nature: Calm
I don't understand why people reacted to the fairy type that way. It is the Pokemon world guys not our world. lol Jigglypuff or Marill can be fairy types but are they even going to damage dragon Pokemon that much? The only strong Fairy they have revealed is Gardevoir.(and Sylveon perhaps). Sylveon used the power Moon Blast and Gardevoir Fairy Wind. They are using "magic". To me, the fairy type makes more sense to kill Dragons than the Ice type.

They could not name the type Magic type because of the Psychic type which is a part of magic. So they named it Fairy because fairies are magical creatures.

Pokémon X
Friend Safari:
Type: Fire.
Pokémon: Slugma, Magmar & Braixen.
Old June 13th, 2013 (04:37 AM).
masquerade
Platinum Tier

Well Fairies and Dragons are both mythical creatures and since Fairies counteract Dragons in Pokemon I'd say it's pretty fitting. I'd say the overall type chart is a little more balanced thanks to this new type addition.
Old June 13th, 2013 (05:04 AM).
Playhouse Pokemon
Crystal Tier

Fairies zomg

I hope Blissey isn't a fairy, just because it could throw it's defensive typing out of whack a bit (i dont know what fairy's weak too yet)
#440 Happiny
Supporter Collab January 2015
Trade Shop | Trade Review
3DS FC: 3411-1566-9347
paired to Perrie ✿ & Sodom
Old June 13th, 2013 (05:10 AM).
dreamme,myWorld
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Impo:
Fairies zomg

I hope Blissey isn't a fairy, just because it could throw it's defensive typing out of whack a bit (i dont know what fairy's weak too yet)
I'm pretty confident in saying that Chansey/Blissey are honestly going to be more threatening with a Fairy type if they ever get re-typed. Assuming that Fairy is immune to dragon (and whats a what-if), then you can technically throw in Blissey out in front of an outraging Salamence and just ice beam it to death/seismic toss/paralyze it/wall it.

As far as my thoughts are about the type itself, I'm pretty satisfied! Though I have no true opinion until Fairy's full weaknesses and strengths are concerned, let's hope this doesn't become the new "OP" type, or things might really get thrown out of wack here. Let's hope the typing chart is actually fully balanced the way it's intended to be.

» my dreamiverse
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links