The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Old June 12th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
Pokémon X and Pokémon Y have introduced a whole new level of battle mechanics.
Introducing Sky Battles allows players to partake in Aerial battles which is restricted to flying type Pokémon and Pokémon with the Levitate Ability.

How do you feel about this? Do you think it will be used frequently throughout Kalos? Discuss!

Old June 12th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Its a heavy disappointment. They could have done much more than what they did. Limited battle choices make this way more gimmicky than Triple and Rotation battles could have ever hoped to be.

It seems a nice way to farm case as they seem to dish out in amounts that rival Rich Trainers.

If it wasn't just a battle in the sky consisting of "Some" flying types and Levitators then it would have been more impressive.
Old June 12th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Sandshrew4
Also known as Sandwich

Nature: Careful
So it's just a battle exclusively for Pokemon with the flying type and levitators with no further gimmicks?
If so, I find it pointless and feel they're doing it just to do it.
Old June 12th, 2013, 02:27 PM
jov0006
Beygimon! Gotta let it rip!

Nature: Modest
Can't some Pokémon hover? Also, EELEKTROSS IN THE SKY BUT NO CHANDELURE? *is still happy that fav Pokemon can take part, but still wants chandy*

Participating in the following Roleplays:

Click on the images to see SUs

Old June 12th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jov0006 View Post
Can't some Pokémon hover? Also, EELEKTROSS IN THE SKY BUT NO CHANDELURE? *is still happy that fav Pokemon can take part, but still wants chandy*
According to what was posted on Twitter, maybe not. Based on twitter's post not all Flying Pokemon can participate. They may even limit it against some levitators. We'll see a full list in the near future though.
Old June 12th, 2013, 03:20 PM
iRyahn

Nature: Adamant
I think they did it more so for aesthetic reasons. They wanna show off what they can do and make the game graphically appealing. I have no problem with that. I am sure some of the camera angles will look superb. Will be funny seeing Elektross flying, and I am sure anything with Electric in its typing will own the 'tier', but still a neat addition! (It obviously won't be required for players to do these battles anyways; so if you guys don't like it, don't do it?)

My Friend Safari contains: Dunsparce, Audino, and Imposter Ditto.
Old June 12th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
According to what was posted on Twitter, maybe not. Based on twitter's post not all Flying Pokemon can participate. They may even limit it against some levitators. We'll see a full list in the near future though.
Expect Gyarados not to participate.

Reminds me of "PokéRinger" thing from anime, except the Pokémon are pummeling each other instead of chasing after a ring. I think that, for this battle type to make sense, lots of moves would need to have their effect changed, otherwise it's just a visual thing.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:57 PM
metalhand

finaly i will see how dodrio is able to fly, i always was wondering howthe doduo family are able to fly and the scizor family not
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Marisa
love coloured
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Marisa
I hope there are some restrictions for this game mode...maybe something that restricts Pokemon like Thundurus and Rotom.
leijon
kimisumi

pairs
family
credit
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Not really interested as you need flying type to participate...
If 6th generation introduces interesting flying type then it might be interesting feature but not now...
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:54 AM
ilias_
I completed the Pokédex!

Nature: Calm
I love the idea of Sky Battles. they look cool. I really hope to see them a lot in the Kalos region. I also have a question. If we start a Sky battle and our first Pokemon is not a flying type or a levitator, what is it going to be? lol

Friend Safari:
Type: Fire.
Pokémon: Slugma, Magmar & Braixen.
Old June 13th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I'm really curious to see the new features the sky battles will include.
If it just a regular battle that just takes place in the sky, i'd be pretty disappointed
I hope they make it more interesting by including some new aspects in sky battles

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old June 13th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
I like the sound of it on one hand....but on the other hand it seems like it's putting up the finger to ground type pokemon.
Old June 13th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Wait, not all of them can participate?

Okay, at first I was excited, but what was the actual point in adding all of this again? .__. I had a lot of hopes in this until I read Xander's post, in which afterwards it kind of fell to the ****ter, essentially.

As such, I share his sentiments. If it would've been widely available to more Pokemon (like how I initially thought it would be), then it would be awesome, but...
Old June 13th, 2013, 04:33 AM
shengar
♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥

I don't really know how I should react. This is much like "Congratulation! You've just researched breathing" tropes. It add more variety, and limitation pushes creativity. Its very nice to see this in Gym, and not just sky battle, but also water or sea battle because I found it funnyh that most Water Gym have big pool, but we can fight them with something like Torterra.

But at the same time it kinda break immersiveness. Because, you know, Flying pokemon should constantly flying in all battle, not just the Sky Battle. Ah yes, that limitation comes from turn-based battle Pokemon have. Well, in other words, I appreciate it, and hoped for something more like this, especially in Gym.

Pokemon is a Japanese RPG Made By a Japanese Developer With Japanese Audience in Mind I tell You
Old June 13th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
Well Sky battle does indicate that it is bound to those Pokémon that can fly, you can't half expect for Pokémon such as Zigzagoon to partake in Aerial battles can you? I don't understand why people are so against this idea, it's something different to added to the battle mechanics and it adds a little differential style to the battle scene, I personally really like this addition.

Old June 13th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Impo
Vital Spirit
Community Supporter

I don't think I like the possibility of it being so heavily restricted, especially since diglett could learn Aerial Ace for God's sake

but it does look like fun I must admit

...Let's play a game...
3DS FC: 3411-1566-9347
Paired to Naya Rivera & ShiningRaichu
Old June 13th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
Well Sky battle does indicate that it is bound to those Pokémon that can fly, you can't half expect for Pokémon such as Zigzagoon to partake in Aerial battles can you? I don't understand why people are so against this idea, it's something different to added to the battle mechanics and it adds a little differential style to the battle scene, I personally really like this addition.
I personally believe that any Pokemon that is a flying type should be able to participate in these Sky Battles. Unless I'm misunderstanding and all flying types/levitating Pokemon could, in which case my doubts would be cleared, but other than that...it kind of defeats the purpose if there's a Pokemon with levitate that couldn't participate in one of these.

Elektross being a prime example, but eh.
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:01 AM
MarquisPhantom

Some of you guys are overreacting. Some Pokémon, like Eelektross for example, hover barely above the ground and Dodrio can barely fly!
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Playful_Weasel
I just want to play!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
Sounds like a great idea for a battle - I may not have many sky battles, unless I can catch Emolga early in the game (or transfer mine early from Black 2), or another part-flying Pokemon I may like (from the ones not yet introduced.)

I may try it to try out everything in X&Y - I may have fun (shocking flying Pokemon in the air).
Watchog's #1 Fan!!
PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!
- FC on Trainer Card
Steel Safari: Magneton - Skarmory - Excadrill
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Aelita Schaeffer
Queen of Espurr

Nature: Naughty
Not gonna lie, i only have a flying type for a slave to get around, unless i do have a mon with Levitate i dont see myself doing this offen
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:46 PM
PheonixDeath1

sky battles are gonna be good
Old June 13th, 2013, 09:02 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

All we know about Sky Battles is that we don't know anything. All we can do is speculate.

Maybe it is just a flashy camera gimmick.

It could be anything else. We don't know yet.
Old June 13th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisPhantom View Post
Some of you guys are overreacting. Some Pokémon, like Eelektross for example, hover barely above the ground and Dodrio can barely fly!
The point being is that if you're going to make Sky Battles, at least make it available to Pokemon with the Flying-type or all Pokemon with the Levitate ability, not just limit it to a select few. What about Claydol? What about Latias/Latios? I believe they're fully capable of flight. What about Bronzong, as well as Mismagius? These are things that honestly I need to know before I really decide on whether or not these Sky Battles are kind of a waste.

Not to bag on the implementation (I'm sure it has great potential), but it just doesn't seem like anything that would really be appealing if you're only going to limit it to things that can fly. If that's the case, why do most Pokemon that can't fly have a flying type then? But I digress on that last point. But I can definitely understand people's point of view if this feature does seem fairly limited.
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Nuke

It seems rather pointless and yet I like the idea because it will put more focus upon using one of my favourite types (Flying).

I think it should be limited to pokemon that can learn fly and any pokemon with levitate. So for example Emolga should be exempt as (I think) it can only float slightly above the ground.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links