Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 13th, 2013 (07:11 PM).
Romaov
Orra

Since most of pokemon takes place in Japan none of the characters where white. They were all Japanese. BW BW2 however is based regionally off of new york where it's more diverse. Lenora wasn't the only black person The fight type E4 guy was black as well. as well as Iris. Seeing how next gen is based off of france where there's a mix of white and black and asian people, I don't really see whats the problem with an overweight character. There's been plenty before. Hikers. That guy talking about the way we connect in base towns etc.
Old June 14th, 2013 (11:04 AM).
TreeKangaroo
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nature: Naughty
LOL HIS GOAL IS TO DANCE. Sorry, I don't know why I found that hilarious. He'll get distracted battling because of dancing. This will be interesting though for his pokemon. The dancing thing was from bulbapedia
Old June 14th, 2013 (07:31 PM).
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful
Nintendo and many of their game developers have definitely responded to the social justice movement in a great way. Outside of Pokemon we have female characters like Peach being made main characters in major franchises (shes not even sexualized in the new cat suit power up; something that wouldnt happen with Microsoft etc). And thats only one example. So it's only normal that we get protagonists like this in the new Pokemon games.

I am a bit worried about the Vanillite shirt, still.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old June 15th, 2013 (08:14 AM).
Esper

Quote originally posted by Keiran777:
Nintendo and many of their game developers have definitely responded to the social justice movement in a great way. Outside of Pokemon we have female characters like Peach being made main characters in major franchises (shes not even sexualized in the new cat suit power up; something that wouldnt happen with Microsoft etc). And thats only one example. So it's only normal that we get protagonists like this in the new Pokemon games.

I am a bit worried about the Vanillite shirt, still.
Nintendo really is the frontrunner when it comes to recognizing that they have a diverse fanbase. As much as I can see what they're doing in Pokemon as a mixed bag, at least they're trying and I appreciate that.

deviantart blog pair
Old June 15th, 2013 (11:58 AM).
jellotime91

Quote originally posted by Miss Anne Thrope:
Congradulations, they included one black person last generation and this generation there's a significant character that's fat. Classic token-characters, in my opinion. There are a few fat people and black people in Japan. In New York, there's way more black people than Lenora. In all of the world, there's way more body diversity than what Pokemon presents. I think it's always going to be on a thin-white-young bias, but at least they're progressing some amount.

However, there's no doubt in my mind that this new fat character is going to be caught behaving in a sterotypical "fatty" manner. Running out of breath constantly, eating all the time, being lazy. I'll be very pleasantly surprised if they don't.

His official description says that he is "nimble", and wants to create a dance team with his Pokemon. So please.

I agree that Pokemon needs more diversity, and I think that the inclusion of Tierno as a main rival character should be celebrated. Also, the fact that you can now choose your character's skin colour is a pretty big deal.

I would hope that they are going to include more characters with different skin colours throughout the game as well, as it would look strange if you were the only black person in the entire game while all the NPCs and gym leaders are white.
Old June 15th, 2013 (12:40 PM).
Austin1395
Dark-type Trainer

Nature: Serious
I think the addition of "less than thin" characters is great. It adds some realistic features to the game. I've been waiting for stuff like this, Game Freak is really meeting my expectations with X and Y. 3D landscape, variety in characters, and things like horde mode! Really the only thing I am unhappy with so far in this new generation is the new type. I am not opposed to new types, not at all. I'd love to see more! But...fairy? I mean, before this was revealed everyone was going crazy over Light and Sound because it made sense! Ask me how and I'll explain it but, for now, I'll leave it be. But, when they announced Noivern, that was just a big **** you from Game Freak, they may as well have been saying "lololololol nope! No sound type but, LOOK AT THIS THING!" Noivern screams sound type, so hopefully it is inevitable.
Old June 15th, 2013 (03:09 PM).
pokeyellow1
Unhatched Egg

I always thought pokemon characters had lots of charm but were not the most interesting. Although your right it has gotten better. I thought team plasma in BW2 (I did not play the first one) was amazing, I actually found myself kind of agreeing with them a little bit.
Old June 15th, 2013 (03:35 PM).
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
I like it, though I wouldn't say there haven't been "less than perfect" characters in the behavior department *wink wink*
Quote originally posted by Romaov:
Iris.
Oh and just an idea but Iris is probably middle eastern ;)

Old June 15th, 2013 (04:02 PM).
MarinoKadame

Iris could be more hindi than asian.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old June 15th, 2013 (07:27 PM).
Nakala Pri
THE BRAVƎS! (zap pow thud)

Nature: Naughty
Quote originally posted by Team Fail:
Pokémon Black and White started it with the inclusion of Lenora, a non-white character that is essentially a protagonist in a sense. This was sort of a big deal, as she was the first non-white character in the Pokémon series game. Now, we introduce Tieruno. He isn't really... Well.. Thin.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but as far as I know, he is the first person that isn't thin to be part of a Pokémon game. Is Game Freak trying to become all-inclusive when it comes to different people? Is it possible that more can be done besides this?

Lenora was awesome, her skin tone made me go like 'Whoa!' Not in a racist way, but so far they have all been white guys.

That fat Asian in that picture of yours is sort of a breakthrough, but not really. The Asians are conquering the world, so no wonder they made a fat Asian which looks like a fat, grown up version of Souske from Ponyo.

But he is pretty cool!

I'll be AFK for a real long time, folks! Be sure to miss me! (and to SHUT THE HELL UP)
Pair Bears: Dedenne1, Sniper, Arx, Karasuma and Sky! =D
BETCHA ANNOYED THAT I LAGGED YOUR COMPUTER WITH THIS GIANT POP-UP!! >:p SUCKERS!! Anyway, currently playing Pokemon Black 2, started on the 22/01/15. Next up is Pokemon Pearl then Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter!
Old June 15th, 2013 (08:32 PM).
Oryx
CoquettishCat
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Wait, how are black characters "less-than-perfect"? That's pretty offensive.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old June 16th, 2013 (05:20 AM).
abnegation
the wild card

Guys, I just want to state that you should avoid racial slurs, and insulting idioms towards any group or minority of people. Remember that this is against the rules. Just before this thread derails any further. If you see any examples of this, please report it and leave it at that. Thanks!
Old June 16th, 2013 (08:37 AM).
jellotime91

Quote originally posted by Toujours:
Wait, how are black characters "less-than-perfect"? That's pretty offensive.
I think he just meant that in gaming, characters tend to always be attractive, caucasian-ish, and thin. It seems to be the ideal character for many Japanese publishers. Look at Final Fantasy XV for example.. All of the characters in the trailer are white and thin.
Old June 16th, 2013 (11:34 AM).
Romaov
Orra

Quote originally posted by jellotime91:
I think he just meant that in gaming, characters tend to always be attractive, caucasian-ish, and thin. It seems to be the ideal character for many Japanese publishers. Look at Final Fantasy XV for example.. All of the characters in the trailer are white and thin.
I'm pretty sure all the characters in FFXV are asian more specifically Japanese. I'm pretty sure there aren't any "white" people in any of these games you play from different countries. It's just like anime different hair colors and eyes so you can diversify the more important characters. Everyone is asian unless they're skin tone is noticeably darker. I.E yoruichi and tousen, bleach lenora E4 guy Iris,BW BW2.
Old June 16th, 2013 (01:20 PM).
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
I like the addition of a fat boy in a prominent role, but please, did they need to add a Vanillite art to his shirt?

I was thinking about this post yesterday, here's what I made of it.

The important thing about portraying fat people in fiction is that they're, above all, people. They have the same feelings, the same needs of thin people. They can be somewhat gluttons because well, you're fat for a reason, but this can't "define" the character's personality, because there's much more to a person than his/her food preferences. Giving a character multiple dimensions is the joy of creating them, and why Hugh was so criticized (he's pretty much rambling about how Team Plasma stole his little sister's Pokémon the whole time). Food references are good as a light humorous reference, but the bulk of the character (no pun intended) needs to come from somewhere else.

I hope he's a great character, and a great rival. Cheren and Bianca were great characters and it would be nice if XY started with nice rivals too.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!
Old June 16th, 2013 (05:55 PM).
Austin1395
Dark-type Trainer

Nature: Serious
Cerberus I couldn't agree more with you. Hardly any games ever even hint at the idea that obese, or heavier people, exist. It's all always thin and attractive people. The addition of actually having a heavier-set character that is of actual relevance is a step in the right direction if you ask me. BUT, it's not like the Pokemon series doesn't acknowledge that some people are fatter, look at the in game Hikers? Every single game they've always been a bit heavier.
Old June 17th, 2013 (02:24 PM). Edited June 17th, 2013 by AnonygooseD.
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Nature: Jolly
I think what the OP meant is "relatively different" character designs, they're not less than perfect, they're just different than all the white/skinny main chars in the previous games.
Maybe they ARE trying to imply the "You're perfect the way you are" idea & that's good, maybe offering skin color change in char customization is support to that idea, the question is maybe in the future they'll offer the option to be fatter? or older? or even gay or transgender? (I doubt that will happen but still).
What I really care about them doing is making better rivals, with a good spirit & acceptance of loss without arrogance.
Concerning the fat guy I hate his haircut & the "Hey look at me everyone I'm a fanboy!" T-shirt, remove those & it's acceptable for me
Old June 17th, 2013 (02:45 PM).
photonman555

Even though he may be "less-than-thin" at least game freak is giving him an active personality as description reads as "Tierno is burly and nimble, and his goal is to create a dance team with his Pokémon! He pays close attention to Pokémon when they battle to see he if he can incorporate their actions into new dance moves."
Old June 18th, 2013 (01:15 PM).
Ryanna Jameson
(( and whisper my name as you do it ))
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I'm liking the diversity I'm seeing in the character designs and it's also looking like they'll be bringing in more unique characters personality-wise as well. I mean just look at Tierno. He's a total cutie. He's heavyset but definitely athletic as well- his character descriptions say he's nimble and a dancer. And he's passionate about it! As far as I can tell, he's probably not really going to be on the traditional Pokémon journey. He knows what he wants to do- create a Pokémon dance team- and he's probably going to be working on that throughout the game. I like that. That kind of... expands the Pokémon world to me. The player is still relatively confined to the traditional journey, but there are other options for kids in that world. There's more to do and different routes to explore and it just gives the world a more fleshed-out feel. :3
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old July 12th, 2013 (07:11 PM).
The Local Joke
Trubbish in the Classroom

Nature: Hasty
When I saw Tieruno, I compared him to a big teddy bear in my head. He seems like a likable character, and I hope he has a moment to steal the show in the story (fighting a legendary or something, I dunno).

Goals: Play with friends much more often, catch every Pokemon ever released, make my character resemble myself, breed excellent Pokemon and share with friends.

Old July 13th, 2013 (06:00 PM).
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
They're being more inclusive about race, but nothing has really changed about body types.

The ice cream on Tierno's shirt is the one thing I cannot take seriously about him. His passion is dancing, not eating. So why doesn't he have Meloetta, Ludicolo, Chingling, or anything else on his shirt?
Old July 24th, 2013 (09:44 PM).
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Who says that a character has to be perfect? In the anime there are characters of all races and weight and age. lol
Old July 31st, 2013 (04:03 PM).
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Pokemon has always had a wide variety of characters and body types and such. Brock's nationality is ambiguous, but his skin tone isn't "white." Agatha is an old woman, Misty's body type is perfect for a professional swimmer, and is different from Sabrina's, whose is different from Erika's...and that's just generation one.

As more gens pass, they become more and more inclusive, which is great. It's something I've always loved about the Pokemon games, and it makes me sad that so many people care more about the Pokemon than the humans, as if the human characters don't even matter. And video games in general should be more inclusive, like Pokemon has been.
But really, "less-than-perfect?" Is Lenora "less-than-perfect" because she isn't white?? That's...just wrong.
Old July 31st, 2013 (04:41 PM). Edited July 31st, 2013 by The Dark Avenger.
The Dark Avenger
The Flyest Avenger

Nature: Adamant
Did anyone mention the black basketball players (hoopsters), football players, and break dancers in BW? Those are the only black trainer types, everyone else is fair-skinned. Originally Lenora was designed to have a large apron to go along with her puffy afro and headband, practically referencing the mammy archetype in order to make a black female gym leader? Her title in Japan is "The Natural Born Mama"!!!! I think inclusiveness is a must, but really? Do they need to draw upon every possible stereotypes in order to be inclusive?!?!

Best remedy for trainer types is to vary skin tone. It seems pretty simple. For trainers and notable characters, simply treat them like other characters that just happen to have a darker skin tone.
Old July 31st, 2013 (05:16 PM).
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by BraveNewWorld:
I don't think you intended to. But you just said that black people are less than perfect. lol
Cackling right now because I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who picked up on that.

But yeah, it's really not a big deal and it's not like the visual designs for the characters add or take away from the story in any way. You could swap the sprites in all of the games and have the exact same experience because what they look like doesn't mean anything. Of course, that doesn't really apply to Team members because of the uniforms and stuff.

Sponsored Links