The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Old June 13th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Recluse
The Harbinger of Solitude
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Yes. This time I want to ask my dear PC about their thoughts on moves that can always hit.
The moves I'm talking about are very well known, for example: Shock Wave, Faint Attack, Swift, Aerial Ace. There are also other, but these seem to be very popular.

What is your overall opinion about them?

Do you guys use them in competitive battles or just in-game?

What is the most common move used by PC? What is your favorite?
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:36 PM
True Epicness
Magnificent Turnip

I've been playing through Pokémon Ruby Destiny: Life of Guardians recently. I randomly decided to put Magical Leaf on my Gardevoir, and it's been really useful on the loads of trainers that spam Double Team. I just Calm Mind whilst they waste their time double teaming, then one-hit them.

I don't really do competitive battling, but I see why they'd have their uses. Ultimately, though, due to their generally low power, they wouldn't always be such a good move to have.

Old June 13th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Limerent
I can hear you.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I think they're very useful and have a necessary role in Pokemon, to counter accuracy reduction or evasion boosting tactics. Without them certain battles could be very frustrating. They are made fair from having low damage. I don't play competitively but my favourite would probably be Aerial Ace, the name is awesome and it's a staple flying type move.
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Yukari Yakumo
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Yukari Yakumo
I like the idea, but most moves that always hit are more on the weak side, barring Aura Sphere. Other than that, they're quite good. They do help when you're dealing with things that like to spam Double Team, like Ninjask. A good Aerial Ace to it will kill it in one hit.
pairs
family
credit
theme
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I love Aura Sphere =D
Generally I like the fact that there are moves that can pulverize the Double Team abusers but thanks to their low power (beside Aura Sphere) I don't use them...

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Hikamaru
sociopathic
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
These moves were always handy to have, especially against foes who spammed accuracy/evasion modifiers. Aerial Ace was my fave of the bunch since it can hit any target in triple battles and it has wide distribution.
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
I remember when I beat the Elite Four on Sapphire, I beat someone (can't remember who) with Absol's Arial Ace.. Made me like that move a lot.

The moves are definitely more useful in-game, as evasion attacks are banned in competitive. But, say if you have a Pokemon with moves that have low accuracy, and your opponent is there with just a wee-bit of health. Then those moves are very useful.
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:06 AM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
Like most people have said, it's really useful against double team abusers.

And one more thing, that fog in the 4th gen games man, if you didn't have a defog, you will be missing and missing, that's why, an aerial ace is always handy sometimes.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Nuke

Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOR(es)LAX View Post
Like most people have said, it's really useful against double team abusers.

And one more thing, that fog in the 4th gen games man, if you didn't have a defog, you will be missing and missing, that's why, an aerial ace is always handy sometimes.
I never bothered getting Defog on those games and I can't think why.

Anyway, I love having these moves and they're necessary for in-game battles for all the Double Team Abuse and also the Grimers & Muks using Minimize repeatedly. As everyone else has said, they'd probably see very limited use competitively due to their low power.
Old June 14th, 2013, 02:21 AM
Aslan
the pretender

I've always disliked trainers who decide to throw on Double Team/Minimize or whatever they carry nowadays in their Pokemon's wide arsenal. It gets frustrating after a few misses, and throw on a few more Minimizes and it seems you'll never hit the thing. I've always really liked moves that could never miss, they are extremely useful in-game wise and can also prove to work quite well competitively, although to be honest you rarely see people use Smokescreen and those sorts of moves.

My favourite would honestly have to be Aura Sphere. It hits the hardest and packs a punch. Aerial Ace would be a second favourite and there were a few others that I can't exactly remember the name of.
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:09 AM
CliCliW
I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.

Nature: Bashful
Of all the never miss moves, I have to admit that Spore is one of my favourites in game It's just awesome in all its awesomeness!

Other than Spore, I like Aerial Ace and Shock Wave - my other two most used They're pretty handy for the evasion spammers

Deceased:

Old June 14th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Daisuke Mitsuharu
Decisions, decisions..

Nature: Relaxed
Certainly; yup! They are supremely useful against evasion- oriented trainers/or pokemon. In regards to their use in competitive battles, yes, as they can be advantageous, as the aforementioned said.
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
No matter what game I'm playing, I always try to have at least one Pokemon in my party with one of these moves that can't miss, since you never know when you'll run into a battle where an opponent will keep using Double Team or something (my most recent Pokemon to learn this is Lucario with Aura Sphere).

Even when I'm not facing a Pokemon that keeps boosting its evasion or lowering my accuracy, it still nice to have a move to fall back on that you know will work every time, as long as there's another Pokemon to hit it with.

Pokémon Trainer Brendan wants to battle!
Grovyle (Lv. 32) - Overgrow - (Leaf Blade, Energy Ball)
Favorite Pokémon Tournament: FINALE
November 21st / Staff Collab 2014

(reduced activity through december, poke me if you need me)
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:29 PM
The_Consumer

What is your overall opinion about them?
-I think you're better off mostly utilising them in-game rather than for competitive usage, but it is useful to have at least one of these moves on a Pokemon is competitive battles.

Do you guys use them in competitive battles or just in-game?
In-game mostly

What is the most common move used by PC? What is your favorite?
I don't know about PC, but my personal favourites are Aerial Ace and Faint Attack.
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Starry Windy
Ride the currents with us.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
I think these set of moves are sort of a lifesaver that takes care of any trainer which relies on lowering accuracy or using evading strategies.

I'm usually not using such moves except for Aura Sphere due to its high attack power, except when I use it in-game.

Of course Aura Sphere is my number one favorite, with Aerial Ace the second.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links