The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:46 AM
Spack
You were the chosen one!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Spack
My least favourite Hoenn starter is Mudkip. It's still a great pokemon with great stats and amazing typing, but I prefer the others. Plus Whiscash is a viable alternative.

My second favourite starter is Torchic. It is very offensive, learns great moves like Sky Uppercut and Blaze Kick, and Blaziken is very cool looking. It was banned in Ubers too, and was a unique type (back in the day ). The only bad thing is he is weak to the champion and the 8th gym, which is kind of annoying.

My favourite Hoenn starter is Treecko. It's pretty fast and it has good attack, which is a pretty new concept for a grass type. The champion in Emerald is also a water trainer, so it's a pretty good choice. Treecko was always the starter I picked when I played Emerald as a wee lad.

Old August 4th, 2013, 12:28 AM
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Nature: Naughty
Torchic obviously. It's final evolved form Blaziken can punch and kick you with fire. That's awesome. End of story.
I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old August 9th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Wiesner

Mudkip every single time, hands down. Again, purely for how badass Swampert is and the ability to annihilate with ground moves too!

3DS Friend Code: 0860-4279-8624
Old August 9th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Jumpleet
Rise Above The Rest

Nature: Relaxed
I personally go with Treecko most of the time, mostly because I think Leaf Blade is the coolest sounding move for a grass-type.
Old August 9th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Mackenzie
Say Somethin'!

Nature: Careful
I was debating between torchic and mudkip, but finally decided to go with mudkip. Judging from its advantages in the main game, Mudkip evolves into marshtomp which makes quick work of Rustboro, Mauville, Lavaridge, fortree(if having ice beam), mossdeep(again, if possessing ice beam would have advantage over ) City Gym granted with its immunity to electric type moves, it also has access to ice beam, if ever you're worried of grass types, and Drake. The only problem you will be having is Wallace's Ludicolo on emerald (assuming you didn't over-level your Swampert, or you forgot to bring a grass type counter as you will be up for a difficult time).

chat
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:25 PM
The Notorious B.I.G.
It Was All A Dream

1. Treecko.
2. Torchic.
3. Mudkip.

Speed > Power > Defence.
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Shizzable
The Derpiest One Of All

Nature: Jolly
Well, let's look at a quick rundown

Treecko - Awesome, fast, great to use just because of pure badassness. However, it needs to go through a line of breeding to be truly great.

Mudkip - I don't have a lot of experience with it, but from what I can tell it's on the more powerful side, only one weakness which can be covered.

Torchic - The original Fire/Fighting, plus it's an Uber! Need I say more?

Overall I like Torchic the best. Great design, original typing, awesome moves... Although all of them are really good.
Old August 12th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Meaii
The countdown begins ...

Nature: Gentle
Torchic

There is 3 reasons why I always choose Torchic over Treecko and Mudkip.

• Torchic is so cute! <3
  • Blaziken is so beefy and it can literally take out everything with it's wide range of moves.
  • A few weeks ago I did some Pokémon Emerald solo runs with the starters, I never was able to finish with Mudkip and Treecko, but Torchic did the job.

23 days until~
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Dark Zapdos
Arose from Darkness

Nature: Jolly
treecko is my favourite starter of all time and when it finally evolves into sceptile it just destroys everything before its touched. Both mudkip and torchic are great starters also.
Old August 24th, 2013, 09:26 AM
morrison

Nature: Quiet
I herd u like mudkip :D
it has electro resistance(later on) :D

Old August 24th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Savant
Natural Born Breeder

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
Mudkip of course, cos he gains a Ground-type when he evolves meaning he is really good at countering Wattson easily. I also had the best time playing when I picked Mudkip, since his evos have only one weakness and decent defensive stats.
This. I learned very early on that my Mudkip slash Marshtomp can easily counter the first four gyms. Water attacks deal with Roxanne and Flannery easily, Mud Shot OHKO's all of Wattson's Pokemon and well Brawly you can work around using Marshtomp's defenses, Bide and potions.

Also Marshtomp is generally the derpest of the three making him my favorite. And the fact that he's water/ground (two of my favorite types and possibly my favorite type combination) is just so much better.

But if I couldn't pick Mudkip for some strange reason, I'd go with Treecko for speed and I like it's evolution line more than Torchic's, aesthetically.

3DS FC: 1564-2977-3425
Friend Safari: Psychic (Drowzee - Espurr - ???)

my.anime | my.manga | Circle of One | Pokemon Breeders FC | Fire Emblem FC

Old August 24th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Elaitenstile
Sea turtles, mate.

Mudkip.

It says that in Hoenn they don't get no physical water moves right. Check.
It says that in Hoenn Sceptile can pwn Wallace and Juan. Check.
It says that in Hoenn Blaziken is just too powerful. Check.
It says that in Hoenn Swampert is not at all looking cool, unlike Blaziken and Sceptile. Check.

Who cares?
Swampert has been my fave since the day I've taken Mudkip. Even by considering that its attack goes higher than Special Attack, it can still hold ground with the Special Moves and give you an intake of true Earthquake horror. Savvy?

Besides, Swampert has actually a great defense, and in Hoenn, Grass types are a rarity. Pwned Sydney with Brick Break, Pwned Phoebe with Earthquake, Pwned Glacia again with Brick Break, Pwned Drake with Ice Beam, and then Steven with a combination of them.
Wallace of course, with Brick Break.

I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.

Savvy?
#johnnydeppjacksparrow
Previously known as ★Hoenn★

Old August 25th, 2013, 01:50 PM
PatrickZ

I would always take Mudkip JUST because of Flannery
Old August 25th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Trainer_Altair
Incognito

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trainer_Altair
I've always liked Mudkip. It was my first decision in Hoenn. As a Swampert it could take hits and dish them out as well, Earthquake and Surf was a brutal combination!

''We work in the dark to serve the light.''
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links