Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Reload this Page Screw that, it's too damn long!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Old June 26th, 2013 (09:16 AM).
KYON-KUN, DENWA
CS

Length in a series primarily just delays me from picking it up. If it becomes available in English via cable/satellite broadcast, then I'll just go ahead and start watching it then, particularly if it starts from the beginning. If you were to go to my MAL link in my signature, you'd see that I don't find length particularly off-putting. 5 of the series I'm watching are longer than 50 episodes, while there are another 5 that are part of a larger series that extends to at least 30 episodes in length.

I'm also reading through several series that are actively running or are at least 100 chapters in length and are completed.

Length will only put me off if my plate of series I'm working through is quite full already.

KYON-KUN, DENWA
Old June 26th, 2013 (10:07 AM).
●» f r e e yourself from the heavens' bonds «
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Quirky
It's daunting to me, but mostly because I know my attention span on something is a finite thing, and if something is long (let's say more than 100 episodes), I fear that I might never finish it because of getting bored at some point. Even more so if it somehow contains boring filler somewhere in the middle.

If it's broken up somehow, then it's not nearly as bad - but if it's one long continuous series of anything with 100+ episodes, it's going to make me balk at even considering watching it.

#bluebloods

» Paired with
Proto
8/14/2007
, yo.
» sketch.threaddAtumblr
Old June 26th, 2013 (12:07 PM).
Get 'em, Tibbers!
Platinum Tier

Nature: Timid
I don't mind lengthy anime. I mean, I caught up with Naruto and even came to love the fillers because it helped me learn more about my fave characters. Now I'm so annoyed by having to wait for new episodes, so I'm letting them pile up again @.@
If an anime is good, length doesn't bother me at all.

"Have you seen my bear Tibbers?"
Old June 29th, 2013 (10:52 AM).
World Class Baka

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrax
I'd say yes.
50 episodes (with plenty of filler) is my limit, otherwise I'll just quickly lose interest in the plot; interestingly, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood's 64 episode count is the only exception (lack of/low number of fillers, most likely). Then again, I rarely watch anime with more than 30 episodes, seeing as the longer ones that catch my eye are mainly 2 cour (24 - 26 episodes) anime.
Old July 4th, 2013 (04:50 PM).

I don't know a lot of anime, but I still avoid the few of them that I know (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece) because they're too long. I read the manga version. It's still short, but it still gets through the talking pretty fast. All of the talking bores me to death. I'd be fine with watching anime movies because they aren't cut in the most exciting parts and get to the point. The latest One Piece movie was pretty good.
Old July 5th, 2013 (06:11 PM). Edited July 5th, 2013 by Ryoutarou.
Crystal Tier

In the hands of a talented staff, a longer running anime can be great. Sadly, those are far and few. I think the problem with those shows is that they are eventually forced into filler or unreasonable padding of stories to stay ahead of their source material. I've always felt that's the reason Bleach was cancelled, it just had no idea what to do with itself towards the end there. The only super long running anime I've managed to keep up with are One Piece, Pokemon, and the entire family of Dragon Ball shows. Of those shows, One Piece is the one that delivers on such a consistent basis, and that's definitely thanks to the grand scope that its world is built with in mind.

I think the ideal length for an anime is about 52(ish) episodes. That's four Japanese TV seasons and whether it's a year-long show or intermittent, that should be enough to tell a story if you're capable of making full use of the episodes. 13 episodes is very short and an overwhelming majority of anime that attempt that length have these inconclusive endings, many of which are never followed up on. 26 episodes is a little better, it's plenty of time to tell a reasonably satisfying story without the filler that will invariably plague those longer running shows, but, for me, I always end up feeling like I could do with a little more.
Old July 5th, 2013 (08:01 PM).

I made a goal to watch all episodes of detective conan 4 years ago.

I'm on episode 110. Only 600 to go...?
Old July 7th, 2013 (08:21 AM).
Salmon Fishing in Vulcan

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Virgilin
Oh yeah! Detective Conan has been going on for more than 20 years and they keep coming up with new episodes. It's a wonderful anime but it's just never-ending. And how would they end that anime, I wonder? Would the ending be really predictable and cheesy?

Same goes for Gintama. Even though it hasn't been around that long it's still one of the longest animes out there! 300+ episodes. That is quite a lot. And I'm still not sure whether i totally understand Gintama still...

| Paired to warship | PM | VM | About |
Old July 23rd, 2013 (11:14 PM).
is a Shrew

Nature: Lonely
I actually prefer watching series that are already completed. I would much rather know that there's a dozen episodes of a series available for me to watch in a single day, whenever I want, than being able to communicate with a fandom about a single episode released weekly.

So it's not the length of an anime that bothers me, but only if it's content feels like it's being watered down. Which in many cases, means fillers. But even non-fillers can bore me, with Naruto being an example.
Old July 27th, 2013 (03:41 AM).

Why do these shows have to be so damn long?
Pokemon: The Black & White Adventure: 14 year old Hilda is a Pokemon Trainer with a secret: she can talk to Pokemon. After setting off into Unova with her starter, she gets involved in the affairs of Team Plasma and becomes acquainted with N, a mysterious guy her age with the exact same abilities as her. While enjoying her life, a tangled web of mystery is weaved around her and the reveal may shock her beyond belief.

Join the adventure by clicking the link above. Read & Review.
Old August 23rd, 2013 (04:02 PM).
is a Shrew

Nature: Lonely
I think it's a matter of whether or not I joined the series when it first aired (or earlier on) as opposed to later.

For instead, Shippuden is pretty long, yet because I grew up watching the original Naruto series, and then started watching Shippuden, its length didn't bother me.

But for something like One Piece... even though I've heard many friends recommend it, starting now is too discouraging.
Old September 2nd, 2013 (12:58 PM).
Protect his very soul.
Super Moderator
CS

I find it daunting to begin a 100+ episode series, so I rarely give them a decent chance. A good series like One Piece or Gintama will pull me in and distract me from doing my other responsibilities. In the past, I've started and finished series with ~50 episodes on the weekends before school days. Totally irresponsible of me. I cannot be left alone with such dangers! :P

Old September 2nd, 2013 (03:25 PM).
Anatolia's Ace

Nature: Bashful
Just want to make a note of Hajime no Ippo, that seems to have a disorder called "We can't stop" syndrome.

If it's long but interesting, I can tolerate it to a point. But things like Detective Conan and Hajime no Ippo? PSSSSSSHHHHH

"You are trespassing on Line Ark territory. Pull back immediately...or we will respond with lethal force."
Got a Facebook? Come say hi!
Twitter is also welcome. Note: Probably more vulgar, NFSW, and Fighting Game related!

Old September 8th, 2013 (11:00 AM).
Forever and Ever

I'm kinda lenient on this, but I can hardly stand long anime. I went through both Fullmetal Alchemist series unscathed, but I just don't have the time to catch up on anime like Bleach or One Piece that have a zillion episodes. I'd rather stick to the manga.

Pink Moon is on its way.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links