The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Chit Chat Café

Notices

Chit Chat Café Wondering what your fellow members are eating for breakfast? Want to chat about the weather or other silly things? Idle chit-chat and polls go here.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:45 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
The last movie i saw in theatres was The Hobbit around christmastime :3 was a great movie!
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:47 AM
LilJz
Legendary lovers♥

Nature: Quiet
Last movie I saw was World War Z. It was pretty good :-)
I'm saying this as a movie review, I haven't read the book so I can't tell how much different is it from the book.
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Powerserge
The Imminent Victor

Nature: Relaxed
I love going to the movies. I love it so much that one of my first major jobs was as a projectionist in a family member's classic-style theater.

Last film I watched was Man of Steel. it was what you'd expect of a Superman movie, unfortunately.
Old July 5th, 2013, 04:32 AM
CarcharOdin

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerserge View Post
Last film I watched was Man of Steel. it was what you'd expect of a Superman movie, unfortunately.
Same here.

I might go see World War Z with my family this afternoon.
Old July 5th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Catholic Nun
Back in the habit.

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Catholic Nun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
The last movie i saw in theatres was The Hobbit around christmastime :3 was a great movie!
It so was not omg. It was so boring! The first half, my God. I swear I fell asleep at one point, woke up an hour later and the dwarves were putting together a shelf from IKEA.

Moderator of Chit Chat Cafe
Old July 5th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Cordelia
LIMITLESS

Nature: Bold
Quote:
I enjoyed it as well. Quite good, imo. The last film I saw in the theatre was Star Trek Into Darkness which was excellent. I loved it <3

Seraph Robe

Elixir

House of Ylisse

Loyalty, Strength, Honor.

Old July 5th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumpyfoof View Post
Ugh Pixar really do like to squeeze every last drop of money out of their franchise don't they?
Theyve only started doing that sonce Disney bought thm, you know. The reason for cars 2 is because the merchendise for the first movie is the stuff that sells most in the stores.

I liked the way it was paced, Andy. It wasn't as slow as metropolis that's for sure. Yes it wasnt actiony from the getgo but i thought they did a good job establishing everything. They kept with the songs of the book and imo it was good!!
Old July 5th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Plumpyfoof

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
Quote:
Theyve only started doing that sonce Disney bought thm, you know. The reason for cars 2 is because the merchendise for the first movie is the stuff that sells most in the stores.
And now that they've bought out Lucasfilms as well they're going to ruin the Star Wars franchise :'(
Old July 5th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Catholic Nun
Back in the habit.

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Catholic Nun
The prequel trilogy already ruined the Star Wars franchise, there's nothing they can do to ruin it now. It's only up from here lol

Moderator of Chit Chat Cafe
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ 82.

Is the new Star Wars based on the expanded universe post-empire with the New Jedi Order? That would be really cool if they could get that into movie form.
Old July 5th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Cordelia
LIMITLESS

We're not sure about what will happen with Star Wars either... nothing is really known. :/

Seraph Robe

Elixir

House of Ylisse

Old July 5th, 2013, 08:35 AM
CarcharOdin

Nature: Naughty
I really wish we'd get more info on the sequel trilogy. I hate being in the dark about what's going on about it.
Old July 5th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Hikamaru
τόσο χαριτωμένα

Nature: Quirky
I remember watching the classic Star Wars movies, so I'm hoping the new trilogy will have some good potential despite the Disney takeover. I mean, the series still sells quite a few merchandise among kids.

pairs | showdown | tumblr | vm

Old July 5th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Bumi

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person who has never seen a Star Wars movie. I don't even know what order I'm supposed to watch it in, I've heard they were made and released a weird way. 8(

( p.s. hello everyone I am new here, how's it going? :U )
Old July 5th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Esper

You can watch it two ways: Episodes 4, 5, and 6 (which were made in the late 70s / early 80s, then 1, 2, and 3 (which were made more recently). Or you can watch them 1, 2, etc. The only thing is that the two groups of movies are really different in a lot of ways and you might find you like one group and not care for the other.

deviantart blog pair
Old July 5th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Macarous
maximum potential

Bumi, yay. I haven't seen any Star Wars movie either, but I really want to now :3

[02:57] -Dark Azelf: u liek teh bottix
[19:45] -Dark Azelf: she is evil and cute kinda like satan except in a bunny forme

[00:57] -Kanzler: stupid guys make me homo
Old July 5th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Cordelia
LIMITLESS

OMG YOU GUYS HAVE TO! They are iconic. I grew up with the first trilogy and then the second came out and I saw all of the movies in theatres. :3

Seraph Robe

Elixir

House of Ylisse

Old July 5th, 2013, 12:43 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumpyfoof View Post
And now that they've bought out Lucasfilms as well they're going to ruin the Star Wars franchise :'(
Are you implying Star Wars had any dignity left? :P

Star Wars was pretty entertaining, but the writing quite frequently screams "I DON'T KNOW HOW TO WRITE I'M JUST WINGING IT AND HOPING THE SPECIAL EFFECTS CARRY THE MOVIE!" Then again, most SciFi movies have been like that throughout the genre's existence. And SciFi is one of those genres where you can basically invent whatever you want for your universe and force the viewer/reader to accept its existence like the Tardis from Doctor Who.
Old July 5th, 2013, 05:25 PM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
Star Wars was pretty entertaining, but the writing quite frequently screams "I DON'T KNOW HOW TO WRITE I'M JUST WINGING IT AND HOPING THE SPECIAL EFFECTS CARRY THE MOVIE!" Then again, most SciFi movies have been like that throughout the genre's existence. And SciFi is one of those genres where you can basically invent whatever you want for your universe and force the viewer/reader to accept its existence like the Tardis from Doctor Who.
I believe that if you don't know how to write, you shouldn't be in the movie or book making business.

could you ····ing not
·

Last edited by dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚; July 5th, 2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: brain furt
Old July 5th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Ryoutarou
新生ペガサス

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
Are you implying Star Wars had any dignity left? :P

I think that's only the really low grade stuff that does that sort of thing. True sci-fi is supposed to be about taking the technology and mindset of the modern day world and trying to find a natural evolution for them to present in film, and using that to say something where we are as a society at any given point in time. Though at some point, it basically became futuristic pew-pew with cool looking toys. Which is fine too, we all need a mindless movie every now and then, but I'd be inclined to say that the sci-fi genre has been responsible for a lot of the most innovative films ever made. (not most, just a lot)

Though, Star Wars, yeah. Lucas is a good director, bad baaaaad writer. He's the sort of guy who can come up with an awesome idea for a story and where it should take place and what it should look like and what the characters should be like, but the in depth scripting definitely needs to be in better hands.

Quote:
I believe that if you don't know how to write, you shouldn't be in the movie or book making business.
But it is a business so, ultimately, talent and skill isn't as important as appeal. (which is how my local bookstore ends up with rows upon rows of paranormal Young Adult instalove stuff)
Old July 5th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumi View Post
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person who has never seen a Star Wars movie.
I haven't seen them either. Bought the entire series on VHS with the intent to watch them. Never did. Probably because I just don't watch movies. Last movie I saw in theaters was Bolt in 2008.

Or maybe because I was raised on Star Trek.

Quote:
Pretty much. I always wonder if the people who say that they want to be a published writer know just what they have to do to even get started, what they have to deal with, and the quality of work they have to produce. Unless, as Ryoutarou said, you write young adult romance books with vampires/werewolves/both. Every time I go into the YA section of a bookstore, that's all I see.
Old July 5th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ 82.

I hope you all had a rad first day of the Get-Together!

My ex-girlfriend's ex lent her Star Wars. It's ticked me off ever since.

Mr. Spock and Sulu are beautiful.
Old July 5th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Macarous
maximum potential

Mkay, I'm gonna watch SW now. Episode 4, right?

[02:57] -Dark Azelf: u liek teh bottix
[19:45] -Dark Azelf: she is evil and cute kinda like satan except in a bunny forme

[00:57] -Kanzler: stupid guys make me homo
Old July 5th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Nature: Calm
That's weird, while riding in my dad's car the other day, I was thinking about re-watching the Star Wars movies. I barely remember watching them as a kid. My dad also told me to go watch Star Trek. I don't like starting anything that has hundreds of episodes, though. :(
Old July 5th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Akita
good night, night vale

Nature: Gentle
If you do end up watching Star Trek, be prepared for the cheesiness of the originals. They had some really, really excellent writers for some of the episodes. There are some gems. I'd say go for it, if you have the time.

Sponsored Links