The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

View Poll Results: Did you enjoy the Pseudo-starters?
Yes 19 35.85%
No 34 64.15%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:22 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
the only one I would use is Pansage Even though it's stats are pretty weak I still love using this pokemon. Panpour and Pansear are okay pokemon but not in the same league as Pansage
Who could not love an monkey with a tree growing on it's head.
Old July 25th, 2013, 02:21 AM
classiccartoonsftw
Nintendo is for awesome people

Honestly, I don't care about the concept of "pseudo-starters", and I don't like the monkeys at all. Pansage and Simisage are exceptions, though. This is because I loved Pansage when it was revealed, and Simisage is pretty cool as well. But the others disappointed me.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=304577

Be sure to check the last page!

Credit for this sig goes to Ash`, credit for my avatar goes to The Epic Pikachu from Tumblr
Old July 25th, 2013, 02:44 AM
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintey View Post

The Pan-Simi Family

But I think that the monkeys are a bit cartoonish for me... For starters, I understand that this is a childs game...
who says pokemon is a childs game?
but i agree, the last couple generations have had some ridiculous/idiotic designs.
this is why i stick to my soul silver and other gen IV games.
Old July 25th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Uccello

Nature: Adamant
Their stats left something to be desired, but Simisage's fantastic hair made up for all that and more on his part. The other's I never really cared for, their hair just couldn't make the cut.

Perhaps if the Simi's had secondary typing, Simisage as Grass/Fighting, Simipour as Water/Psychic, and Simisear as Fire/Dark (Though that's a stretch) they would have made more of an impression.
Old July 25th, 2013, 07:35 AM
CliCliW
I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.

Nature: Bashful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uccello View Post
The other's I never really cared for, their hair just couldn't make the cut.
I see what you did there

Seriously though - while Panpour was useful in the first gym leader battle (BTW- I love the was they tailor their Pokemon to fight yours), he was pretty bad after that. Maybe if I kept him on I would think differently, but he was pretty quickly replaced by Tympole, just cause Water Ground type..

Their evolutions just don't boast the best designs either really. Simipour looks goofy, I don't even know about Simisear.

Definitely Pansage was the best designed of the trio, but they still fall short of actually being good Pokemon to use....

Deceased:

Old July 25th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Silais
Princess of the Law

Nature: Quiet
I like them, but I don't use them because there are other Pokemon better than them you can catch much easier, like Seismitoad, Lilligant, and Darmanitan.
Old July 25th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Infinite Latios
Champion

Nature: Impish
They were essential when fighting the first gym leader, but not that useful after that. I left Panpour for Tympole soon after beating Chili. I still have my ex-water type in the box if I ever actually need it.
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:07 AM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Nature: Jolly
Pansear was my favorite because I just like fire type Pokemon the best. All three seem evenly matched against each other, similar to the starters. I really liked how GameFreak added these three, I think that it would be cool to see something similar to this in X and Y.
Old July 25th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Elthemor
Resident Anarchist

Personally, I tend to forget that they exist. They're decent Pokémon, and I'm especially a big fan of Simisage (because Grass-types are supreme), but I just don't use them much. Quite honestly, I didn't like most of the Gen V Pokémon. Overall, I think they're a good addition to the generation.
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Fiery Dash

Pansage, Panpour and Pansear, they all actually look great.
But when they all evolve, it kinds of turns me off.
They look too goofy, like characters that were rip from Donkey Kong but not in a good way.
Old August 11th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Jumpleet
Rise Above The Rest

Nature: Relaxed
I thought I would like them when they were first revealed. After I used them, I found them to be lackluster, with Simisage being half decent. Simipour and Simisear just don't learn good enough moves that work with their Attack stats, which are only decent at best. From unoriginal designs to below average stats, I was disappointed with this trio.

I thought the type changing gym was a good concept, but it was implemented too early in the game to actually be exciting. If Chili, Cilan, and Cress were the second gym leaders, it would give more of a challenge.
Old August 11th, 2013, 09:04 AM
*Icecold*
Bow down to Queen Meowstic

Nature: Hasty
Generation Five... the generation of horrendous Pokémon designs. Never had we experienced so many ugly pocket monsters in one place...

There is one major, major flaw in these three Pokémon.

THEY'RE FORCED!

All you have to do is walk up to a girl and get handed a Pokémon that's *le gasp* good against the first gym leader! Surprise, surprise! Never expected that!
For crying out loud, it's so obvious why they're there is hurts to receive one!

Anyways, about the Pokémon in general... Simisear, pour and sage look awful. The official poses of their final evolutions make them look like they're taking something.

Not that they're bad Pokémon, no! Their designs when they haven't evolved aren't too bad if you ask me. I like their haircuts!

But I despise Pansear. It's the only bad thing about receiving Oshawott: you get this thing. Incinerate is a terrible move. I hate using this guy. Panpour and Pansage are much better.

And why isn't Panpour named Pansoak? I mean Pansear and Pansage's second half of their names end in the letter S so why not the same with Panpour?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 12th, 2013, 11:48 PM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
Well I liked the idea of Pseudo starters. You know because there is already nice to see something like this apart from choosing from a starter pokemon. For me I only used them as HM Slaves though...
Old August 17th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Airhead
Banned

Nature: Quirky
Hey, I just started a new file on Pokemon Black and I was wondering if I should keep the Pseudo starter I'm going to end up with, otherwise, Simisage. I want a Deerling so I can get a Sawsbuck, but that isn't until the end of the game, almost. So, would you recommend using the Pseudo starter?
Old August 17th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Starlight Sprite
Resident Moon Fairy
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Starlight Sprite
It was an interesting concept. The Gym Leader you faced always had the monkey that was strong against your starter. Regardless, I found the battle to be pretty easy due to low levels the other Pokemon always being a Normal type. The monkeys' designs were cute, but they never remained on my team after the second or third Gym. They weren't that strong, so I'd replace them once I had the opportunity. In Black/ White 2 I never bothered with them due to how hard they were to obtain and stronger Pokemon from previous generations could be found much more easily.

Gym Leader Korrina
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:36 AM
morrison

I didnt in the original game because they are reallt weak, but I dont mind fighting them whenever someone else have them.

Pokemon Hardmode Sapphire Comic
starts as b/w but turns colourful a couple of pages later
Old September 1st, 2013, 04:06 PM
Endless
& by looking through

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Endless
If they have pseudo-starters in the next generation, I'd like them to be useful. The elemental monkeys were good to have around during the first few gyms, but they lose their usefulness by the time you get around the fifth gym because, by then, you already have better Pokémon. I really liked their designs, though. They looked pretty cute to me. =)

Last edited by Endless; September 1st, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:09 PM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I think Simisage is the only decent looking of the final evolutions in my opinion. Simipour's eyes look odd and Simisear looks like it's gotten high off of marijuana.

They were included in the game as a means to counter Cilan/Cress/Chili for Trio Badge, but their usefulness diminishes as you progress through the game.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:25 PM
yeahhhboiii

Honestly, I had a BITTER hatred for all of them except for Pansage, who was mediocre if that. The Simis are horrible, not very good move sets and unbearably ugly. The Pans are a little less ugly, Pansage being the exception, who is decent. I was mad these Pokemon even saw the light of day.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:46 PM
E32011Gold

Nature: Serious
All Three Are Very Well Like The Starters From The Different Regions, But I Really Hate Them All!
Old September 23rd, 2013, 12:08 PM
Blues7

Nature: Calm
I loved them Specially Pansage and Simisear. Note the Simi and Pan differences.

Arturo, the Escavalier

Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:57 PM
Juxapose

Nature: Jolly
I personally hated the idea. Don't get me wrong, psudo-starters are not a bad idea, and I love how Gen 6 are making Gen 1 starters into Gen 6-Psudo starters. But these monkeys are kinda lame, and I don't feel that they don't belong in the Pokemon world except to make a game that's already easy even easier. Lose the monkeys, gimme better Pokemon!
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:34 AM
TheClassyOrca
What's the gist, physicist?

I think it was really neat that they did something like this. I'm not too crazy about them, though. I don't know, it's probably just their designs and the fact that I see them as mediocre.

Friend Code: 4656-6047-2332
~~
"Someone else's success is not your failure." - Jim Parsons
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:08 AM
LiteSandwich
"Tutturu~♪"

I enjoyed these monkeys. although I never used them,I liked the fact that you get some aid with the first gym.
Old October 4th, 2013, 01:04 PM
TheTwilitTrainer

Hated them, but I'm glad they refined the idea in X&Y.

My safari is Swalot, Gloom, Drapion
FC: 1220-6775-9793
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links