• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can Video Games be considered 'media'?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Basically, media, coming from medium, is a way through which one can communicate. Now, In the modern world, with video games becoming more advanced and indepth, do you think it can it be right for people to call them simply toys or accessories, or, do you think that video games can be a form of media?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I think Video Games are a medium. I've never really given thought as to why...I often include video games when I say media.

As a form of entertainment, I would say they are. As a means of communication, I'd say they qualify now. I certainly think the term fits.

Princess Sandshrew

PokéRespect
Years
'Media (singular medium) are the storage and transmission channels or tools used to store and deliver information or data.'
Wouldn't the hardware for video games be considered the media (which is not unique to video games) and the video game be the data being delivered?

Back