Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General
Reload this Page [Manga] List & Chit-Chat on ALL Pokémon Manga

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Old July 30th, 2013 (10:23 AM).
Not wearin glasses.I wanna look awesome.
Gold Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
Quote originally posted by Manga Reader X:
Of course you should start from the beginning and not from volume 30 or 43, lol. Get the box sets (http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Adventures-Red-Blue-Vol/dp/1421550067/ & http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Adventures-Gold-Silver-Vol/dp/1421550075/) and you'll save a lot of money compared to buying individual volumes and you'll also get a nice box and poster. VIZ are releasing a new volume every two months and should have caught up in 2015, so wait until you have read up to the volumes that VIZ hasn't published and decide then if you want to wait or read the Chuang Yi editions. Don't buy the crappy, rushed and thin Black and White mini-volumes, wait for the full volumes instead. Read the Chuang Yi version of chapter 209, volume 17. VIZ's censored version is horrible and sucks Master Balls: www.mrxpokemonmanga.tumblr.com/post/54713311849/pokemon-adventures
Quote originally posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers:
Definitely read from the beginning. Even though the Kanto-Johto-Hoenn arcs (+HG/SS) all have something to do with one another while the Sinnoh and Unova arcs are relatively standalone, there are references to earlier volumes here and there. Plus, details and art style and stuff evolves throughout the series so you'll likely appreciate the later volumes more if you start with the Red/Blue/Green saga.

Imo the best plots are in the Yellow and G/S/C and R/S arcs! Later sagas feel rushed somehow, imo, and the R/B/G saga was more a sort of turning the game into a manga than to actually give some form of advanced plot, maybe. Feels like it, at least haha.

I've kept reading the Diamond & Pearl Adventures manga (not PokéSpe, that is) with the main character Hareta. He sure is different from every other incarnation of "Lucas" xD It's pretty interesting. After I've read as far as I can find online in English in this manga, I'll revisit RéBURST I think.
Hm okay it was apparent to me I should. I'm gonna return the volumes I don't need then and check out the ones I need. I'll definitely consider buying the box sets once I ever get a chance to. I don't really want to wait until 2015 for the remainder volumes to be published by VIZ, so I'll probably read what I need to of the Chuang Yi version online till then. Or if I read them at a certain pace, then I may be able to catch up with VIZ's publications. Though I have heard of some crazy censorship VIZ's version has. I'm not bothered by some of it and I can get them taking out some blood and sexual stuff to make it more okay for kids, but I think it's ridiculous they cut out the part where Crystal gets slapped and made it look like she was being "glared" at. Yeah a person's glare can make you soo scared. That makes sense. -_- I only know about that part cause of an image I saw online.

Spoiler:

But yeah most of it makes no sense and kind of looks like it ruins the good story. I'll definitely read Chuang Yi's version for those volume.

So questions, Are there full volumes of the Black and White chapters gonna be released soon? Like by VIZ/Chuang Vi or are they gonna be Japan only? I know Japan has yet to publish most of the BW chapters in graphic novel format. I don't like mini-volumes either. They're way too short and I think they could of added more if they wanted.

Also, I have been reading Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Adventures! too, finished vol 1 not too long ago. It' s an interesting and really funny take on the game and I like Herata as a character alot. I also like how Mitsumi has the same outfit as Dawn but her hair is green and a completely different style.

paired to hikamaru
Gold Supporter

tumblr| instagram| twitter
Old July 30th, 2013 (10:43 AM).

Quote originally posted by AWsquared:
Though I have heard of some crazy censorship VIZ's version has. I'm not bothered by some of it and I can get them taking out some blood and sexual stuff to make it more okay for kids, but I think it's ridiculous they cut out the part where Crystal gets slapped and made it look like she was being "glared" at. Yeah a person's glare can make you soo scared. That makes sense. I only know about that part cause of an image I saw online.

Spoiler:

But yeah most of it makes no sense and kind of looks like it ruins the good story. I'll definitely read Chuang Yi's version for those volume.
The censorship in volume 17 is way worse:
Spoiler:
Chuang Yi edition (uncensored):

VIZ edition (censored):

Nah, I'd read the CY version of the censored scenes in chapter 32, 133, 180 and 209 and then read the VIZ version of everything else.

Quote originally posted by AWsquared:
So questions, Are there full volumes of the Black and White chapters gonna be released soon? Like by VIZ/Chuang Vi or are they gonna be Japan only?
VIZ has recently released volume 43 and will release volume 44 in November.
Chuang Yi recently released volume 41 and they didn't flip the pages this time! It also looks like it is translated directly from Japanese since none of the three Chinese editions were released before the Chuang Yi edition. This in combination with no censorship, relatively unedited covers and original numbering makes Chuang Yi editions the superior English version from volume 41+. I'd buy the Chuang Yi editions of volume 41+ if I were you.
Old July 30th, 2013 (10:51 AM).
ModeratorCS

Nature: Naive
Whoa, HUGEST image warning xD

That censor is just... So silly I can't even. Lightning, really? It doesn't even look believable. I can't remember what version I read actually but it might have been VIZ. So Americans are that much more touchy about child "abuse" than Japanese are? Interesting. Not a topic to discuss here, but still, interesting haha.

"Alright Gramps! Leave it all to me!"
moderator of Roleplay Theatre
proudly paired with seeker
staff collab july 2015
Old July 30th, 2013 (12:08 PM).

There are no scans of the VIZ edition of volume 17. If you read it online it was the Chuang Yi edition.
Yeah, but the US also has an idiotic legal system that is abused frequently. VIZ probably didn't want stupid, overprotective parents to sue them and also create a PR nightmare. Still, that's no excuse.
Old July 30th, 2013 (10:56 PM).

Nature: Brave
It seems like the japanese don't care what they are showing. They just wanna show everything realistic. (No abuse from me). I should do say I agree with the USA manga creators. That's seems legit !!!
Old July 31st, 2013 (02:17 PM).
Gold Tier

Woah those scan didn't fit well on the tablet I'm using. XD

Yeah the censorship in that case seems ridiculous. The lightning doesn't sound believable at all and neither does the glare scene in the other volume. I guess you can get by with some more explicit content in a children's manga. US censor are a bit more conservative.

Yeah the fact VIZ edits the covers bothers me a bit. Sometimes I like the original covers more. I will probably get at least vol 41 and on through Chuang Yi since they're finally not flipping the covers and they're uncensored.

paired to hikamaru
Gold Supporter

Old August 1st, 2013 (02:48 AM).
ModeratorCS

I like the original covers better, yeah. The ones displayed on here~ I also like when they are all treated as part of the same series. I guess D/P/P and B/W have little to do with the previous ones (maybe the age gap between the oldest characters and the youngest became too big at last?) but it's still all the same world and canon so I prefer to think of them all as one big series. VIZ does not, apparently.

I love the D/P/P covers. They are the perfect mix of team-display, cuteness and drama from the story.

staff collab july 2015
Old August 1st, 2013 (10:40 AM).

I also like when they are all treated as part of the same series. I guess D/P/P and B/W have little to do with the previous ones (maybe the age gap between the oldest characters and the youngest became too big at last?) but it's still all the same world and canon so I prefer to think of them all as one big series. VIZ does not, apparently.
Quality and especially coherency is not the biggest priority for VIZ, profit is. By publishing the arcs as separate series they can publish multiple series at the same time, which gets a broader target audience (those who directly wants to read the arc based on their favourite Pokémon game(s)), but the main reason is the same reason why arcs and volumes are rushed in Japan, they want to keep up with the newest games. There's likely there will be more sales of a manga adaption of games that were released a few years ago than that there will be more sales of a manga adaption of games within the same franchise that were released 10 years ago. In other words: VIZ = sales drive quality = capitalism, Chuang Yi = quality drives sales = common sense.
Old August 21st, 2013 (06:12 AM).
ModeratorCS

So, with this new anime thing being revealed, The Origin, I'm just a little bit disappointed that they didn't choose to make a Pokémon Adventures anime at last. I'm still glad that they will do some anime based on the games rather than set in the kind of fake-feeling world of the Ash-anime (imo, haha) but an animated series with the world and plot from PokéSpe would be the best. Just think of the cool Yellow Arc battles and the apocalyptic R/S arc legendary battle set in color and motion!

Fans in Japan must have suggested this too. I wonder if it's a deal with rights and money that's keeping them from realizing it, or if they just haven't gotten the idea even.

staff collab july 2015
Old August 21st, 2013 (08:01 AM).

So, with this new anime thing being revealed, The Origin, I'm just a little bit disappointed that they didn't choose to make a Pokémon Adventures anime at last. I'm still glad that they will do some anime based on the games rather than set in the kind of fake-feeling world of the Ash-anime (imo, haha) but an animated series with the world and plot from PokéSpe would be the best. Just think of the cool Yellow Arc battles and the apocalyptic R/S arc legendary battle set in color and motion!
I don't know if I would prefer an anime based on the main games or a PokéSpe anime more. I suppose there would be more new stories in a game based anime, but at the same time, who doesn't love the stories in PokéSpe.

Fans in Japan must have suggested this too. I wonder if it's a deal with rights and money that's keeping them from realizing it, or if they just haven't gotten the idea even.
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Adventures_placed_third_in_Media_Factory_Animation_poll
I think they must have figured this out at some point. ^

Fun fact: Media Factory has produced some of the earlier seasons in the Pokémon anime and most of the Pokémon movies. They also distributed some of the earlier seasons of the anime on VHS.
But, the chance that Media Factory will produce a PokéSpe anime based on that poll is very low.
Old September 4th, 2013 (05:24 AM).
ModeratorCS

Quote:
But, the chance that Media Factory will produce a PokéSpe anime based on that poll is very low.
Yes, sadly ;; I sometimes wonder if companies such as GameFreak don't want to look at fan ideas too much, because if they took them to heart, someone might claim that they stole the ideas? With that thought, we are pretty much ruining chances of getting awesome new pokémon by making awesome fakemon :x Um, this relates to this quote since what if Media Factory don't want to make it according to how fans have suggested it, and haven't come up with better ideas yet?

Not likely, though. But I seriously wonder why they decided to make a new anime from the games when more than one manga had a great plot and characters ready already.

On another note - if I made a Pokémon Special fanclub down in Pokémon Clubs section, who would join? I've been thinking about it; we could arrange bookclub weeks and stuff, reading through and discussing volumes and characters together. And just generally theorize, shiptalk and fan around.

staff collab july 2015
Old September 4th, 2013 (11:40 AM).
ffet

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers;7817053On another note - if I made a Pokémon Special fanclub down in[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24":
Pokémon Clubs[/URL] section, who would join? I've been thinking about it; we could arrange bookclub weeks and stuff, reading through and discussing volumes and characters together. And just generally theorize, shiptalk and fan around.
I'm all for it. I haven't read the manga yet so I would see the club as an opportunity to get to know it and discuss specific parts with others.
Old September 15th, 2013 (02:47 AM).
ModeratorCS

I don't think I have time and energy to create that club right now, but in the future I'll consider it again.

staff collab july 2015
Old October 3rd, 2013 (01:35 PM).

Very interesting. Is that Chuang Yi's Pokémon Gold & Silver: The Golden Boys in right-to-left format? Is it published in 2003, right?
Old October 3rd, 2013 (02:40 PM).

Yes, it's published in the original right-to-left format. It was published between 2003 and 2004. There are scanlations of volume 1 chapter 1-5 and scans of volume 2 chapter 9-13 available online, in case you want to read some of it.

I will eventually write about it on my Pokémon manga tumblr. I have just been too busy with real life and Team Special Scans to have time to update my Pokémon manga tumblr and the manga list in this thread. Sorry about that.
Old October 4th, 2013 (11:58 AM). Edited October 4th, 2013 by Lifelover.

Quote originally posted by Manga Reader X:
Yes, it's published in the original right-to-left format. It was published between 2003 and 2004. There are scanlations of volume 1 chapter 1-5 and scans of volume 2 chapter 9-13 available online, in case you want to read some of it.

I will eventually write about it on my Pokémon manga tumblr. I have just been too busy with real life and Team Special Scans to have time to update my Pokémon manga tumblr and the manga list in this thread. Sorry about that.
Thank you. You got an awesome collection there.
Particularly, I do like when titles are released in the original right-to-left format.
Do you know anything about Chuang Yi's Ash & Pikachu?
What about those Chuang Yi's Pokémon Pocket Monsters/Pokémon Ruby-Sapphire manga? Are they right-to-left? Do you know if they were censored?
Old October 4th, 2013 (01:09 PM). Edited October 4th, 2013 by Manga Reader X.

Quote originally posted by Lifelover:
Thank you. You got an awesome collection there.
Particularly, I do like when titles are released in the original right-to-left format.
Thanks! So do I.

Quote originally posted by Lifelover:
Do you know anything about Chuang Yi's Ash & Pikachu?
What about those Chuang Yi's Pokémon Pocket Monsters/Pokémon Ruby-Sapphire manga? Are they right-to-left? Do you know if they are censored?
Ash & Pikachu
I don't really know anything about the Chuang Yi edition in particular. It was published after Golden Boys, which was published in the original format, so if I had to guess I'd say that it probably wasn't flipped. There are complete Japanese RAWs available online though, in case you want to see what it looks like. I would personally never buy it and probably not read it even if it would become available online in English. Just some random anime episodes from the Johto and Hoenn series that got direct adaptions. I'd rather just watch the original episodes. (The Electric Tale of Pikachu isn't a direct adaption though, so this personal guideline of mine does not apply to it).

Pokémon Pocket Monsters / Pokémon Ruby-Sapphire
Same here, I don't really know anything about the Chuang Yi edition in particular. It was published at about the same time as Golden Boys, which was published in the original format, so if I had to guess I'd say that these probably weren't flipped either. I've read a scanlation of the first chapter. The puns weren't funny (might be because it's hard to give accurate translations to some Japanese puns while still keeping them funny) and the artwork was terrible.

Chuang Yi usually never censor their manga, Pokémon or other:
Quote originally posted by Chuang Yi:
Do you do any form of censorship to the manga you publish?
Answer : In compliance with the censorship laws in Singapore, some graphic scenes may be edited and sent to the publishers/authors for approvals before print. However, we make it an effort to keep these cases to an absolute minimum to preserve the author's original art as much as possible. (Anything that is too perverse or requires extensive censorship is probably something we won't look into publishing in the first place.)

We are pleased to inform our readers that less than 2% of our current publications have had to undergo this "makeover".
(source)

As far as I know the only Pokémon manga that Chuang Yi has published that might contain censorship is The Electric Tale of Pikachu volume 1. They used VIZ's translation for volume 1 and I think I remember that they used VIZ's censored scans as well (though I might be wrong there). However, the rest of CY's EToP volumes are uncensored.

Another issue with Chuang Yi's Pokémon manga editions are that they back in the day used to cross-translate from Chinese editions, which sometimes led to errors. At least Pokémon Adventures volume 8-22 have been cross-translated from Chinese. Volume 1-7 are VIZ's Japanese --> English translations and volume 41+ are Japanese --> English translations.
In CY's Golden Boys editions Silver is called Black and Chuck (the fighting Gym Leader) is named Fergus, so either the author took some creative liberties or Chuang Yi messed up that part, probably because they cross-translated it from Chinese without any JP - ENG TLC. Chuang Yi never removed the sfx, so if anyone is interested I could probably ask one of the translators at Team Special Scans to take a look at it.

I have a friend that owns almost all Pokémon manga that has ever been published in volume format by VIZ, Chuang Yi and Shogakukan (+ a lot of VIZ's monthly magazines), so I could ask her stuff like this, or just ask her to join the conversation here.
Old October 4th, 2013 (07:34 PM).

Thanks again!
I didn't know Chuang Yi's titles had no censorship. However, I didn't know they usually do cross-translations either. That got me kinda sad, since I wanna read the rest of Pokémon Adventures (I've only read until the end of Red's saga). Hope there aren't so many mistakes.
About Ash & Pikachu, the list of volumes on Bulbapedia says it was released before Golden Boys. Well, if it's just based on the anime, I think you're right, there's no much sense in reading it, since I've already watched in the anime.
Old October 10th, 2013 (01:31 AM).

Hey guys, Im just wondering if anyone knew when Viz were going to publish the FR/LG Volumes? Its odd that they release HG/SS before it, and I havent gotten myself to read it until FR/LG, just incase they are in chronological order.....
Old October 10th, 2013 (03:12 PM).

Here are the old release dates that were taken from place holder pages at VIZ Kids' website. I don't know if the dates of the volumes that aren't listed on Amazon are still accurate.

VIZ does that because they think that they can make more money on arcs based on the newer games that the little kiddies still remember. That's why they publish the arcs as separate series instead of publishing it as one series, like the original Japanese editions are published. It's simple, old-fashioned, capitalistic greed.
Old October 10th, 2013 (07:06 PM).
Nothing shredded, nothing gained.
ModeratorCS

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Osiris
Hopefully Manga Reader X was able to answer your question. Just for future reference, if you have any quick questions about any of the Pokemon Manga, please ask them in the List & Chit-Chat on ALL Pokemon Manga thread (which is where I'll move these posts to).

MOVED.
Old November 4th, 2013 (03:32 AM).
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Bumping because I'm so excited about the X & Y Pokémon Adventures series! (oh all right PokéSpe for some of you)

I'm totally wondering how it would go.
Old November 4th, 2013 (03:52 AM).
ModeratorCS

I absolutely love the creativity they have with the character backgrounds in PokéSpe these days. Teaser text for X/Y from bulbapedia:
Quote:
X, a boy who won a Pokémon Tournament as a child, has become depressed due to bad experiences with the paparazzi and the public speaking bad about him. Although his friends Y, Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor try to get him back to normal, he refuses to listen to them. Meanwhile, Team Flare is aiming to capture both X's Mega Ring and the legendary Pokémon Xerneas and Yveltal to power their ultimate weapon.
The Team Flare thing sounds like a mix of Team Magma/Aqua and Galactic's goals, but X's history is quite cool.

I haven't read the BW2 manga arc yet, but those characters sound like the best so far!:
Quote:
Lack-Two is a seemingly normal boy enrolled in the Aspertia City Trainer's School. However, he is actually a member of the International Police who aims to find the remaining members of Team Plasma that was defeated two years ago. Unbeknownst to him, the new student, Whi-Two, happens to be a former member of Team Plasma.
"Lack-Two" and "Whi-Two" though? xD I really hope those aren't the officially translated names. From what I heard before, the protagonist's name was Rakutsu and Black 2 was his codename, since he's a police agent. So let's hope that's how they really did it. I haven't gotten around to finishing the BW arc yet actually, so nowhere close the BW2 yet and definitely not close to XY.

staff collab july 2015
Old November 12th, 2013 (01:58 AM).
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Adventure:
I absolutely love the creativity they have with the character backgrounds in PokéSpe these days. Teaser text for X/Y from bulbapedia:
The Team Flare thing sounds like a mix of Team Magma/Aqua and Galactic's goals, but X's history is quite cool.

I haven't read the BW2 manga arc yet, but those characters sound like the best so far!:
"Lack-Two" and "Whi-Two" though? xD I really hope those aren't the officially translated names. From what I heard before, the protagonist's name was Rakutsu and Black 2 was his codename, since he's a police agent. So let's hope that's how they really did it. I haven't gotten around to finishing the BW arc yet actually, so nowhere close the BW2 yet and definitely not close to XY.
I was about to post about this. X and Y sound like weird names for people and so does Whi-Two and Lack-Two, but "Lack Two and Whi Two is a bit more creative imo. But really though, I get their names are based on the titles of the games, but these sound so silly for names. Though we do have a character named N so..... I can't imagine a person naming their kid X or Y though. XD

The story for the manga sounds really interesting though. Just need to finish the others first though. >_>

paired to hikamaru
Gold Supporter

Old November 22nd, 2013 (12:05 AM).
ModeratorCS

Are you guys mostly still referring to that particular manga as PokéSpe/Pokémon Special, or do you mostly call it Pokémon Adventures?

I want to call it Pokémon Special, since that's what I saw when I read most volumes for the first time. Not sure what versions I read actually.

staff collab july 2015
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)