The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle

Advertise here
I'm fairly lenient but it might come with where I mod. The two rules that are usually broken in Pokemon Trivia and Forum Games are the four word rule and the 25-character rule. I tend to usually just delete the posts that are breaking the rule and if it becomes a repeating offense by the same member (I have a pretty good memory for this) then I'll first yellow card then red card if they continue. But yellow cards only happen once in a blue moon and red cards are even more rare. There have only been a few times where it's a different rule that's been broken and depending on the degree of the offense is the degree of what action that I take.
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I feel like I'm definitely on the lenient side. I like to give warnings for stuff before giving out an infraction, but that's pretty much in my nature since I'm not really big on being negative (however if it's required it's going to happen).
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:19 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Nature: Jolly
Alrighty, so I thought I would post back in here with experience of actually being a mod..

I'm a fairly lenient mod, but I turn away from that if one clearly breaks a rule, and then become strict. I haven't had to lock much in my section and I have yet to issue an actual infraction. The one thing I have done a lot of though is disable signatures (seen an increase on those lately? )

And if I see someone break a rule for the first time, then I'll issue them a yellow card (wait, you thought I was lenient?), but all the yellow card does is just remind them.. it doesn't add up points. Then if I see repeat offenses, I'll red card. Unlike Dipu, I work with a two-strike rule at all times, though if the person is clean after a long while, I'll probably start them over like new with a yellow card again.

My section is also one where video games are often brought up, and I'll get questions regarding the features on one's DS or 3DS, for example. I typically move those over to VG, but if it involves internet connectivity, I leave those in my section.
Fairy
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Kevin
kevin del rey
Community Supporter

I'd be strict and rude and infract anyone I could, thinking I was better than all the non-staffers.

Lol jk I'd be too lenient and get fired.
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Cadance
& Shining Armour

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Cadance
I probably said this before and I will say it again: being a mod is such a rewarding experience and you will learn a ton.

As a moderator for NU/W (or The Welcome Lounge now) back in 2011, when I first started I was just absolutely clueless on what I was doing. At first I thought when someone breaks a rule they must be infracted...and that's really what I did first. For my first week of modding I was just...cruel. XD I was verbally warned that I had to tone myself down a notch, and I did. For the rest of my first month of July, I had to follow what my mod partner was doing, as well as learn what other moderators of other sections were doing exactly, so that way I do not have to make those same mistakes again.

After a month on staff I realized that members look up to mods because they know their sections, and they know the basis of said section they mod. I only modded new members, so by experience from a former new member I knew how they felt when they came on PC for the first time, posting for the first time. I made sure every single new member that registered and made a thread were welcomed and hope they had a wonderful time here. I tried to be as open as possible, even during those extremely busy times when I'm only online just to take care of reports, answer PM's or take an IM or two. It was exhausting at first, but later on I've come to get used to it. Phone access and email notifications literally helped me a lot.

I don't think I've given a giant infraction in my 1 year/2 months on staff. I've probably given less than 10 yellow cards/warnings because of repeat offenders and probably less than 5 infractions. Most of the bans I've done were adbots. After my first week of modding, being told to tone it down, I took advice from smods and my mod partner Hiidoran, telling me to only warn/infract the person if they disregard your warnings. I've gone lenient then, and that was the best thing to do.

I can't...really tell you which thing I loved the most about modding. It's not the emblem-making, the usertitles, or the usual perks mods get. What I really love about it is the feeling of leadership, being a moderator taught me how to become a leader, to not be afraid of what's out there, to make decisions as they happen. It's the feeling that it warms your heart when you help someone out, knowing that they can always count on you when you help them. I've also closed threads too during my time, obviously...but I was very polite and helpful in my closing messages.

I did my time then, and it's a bit bittersweet for me to remember since it's been a year. But I've...moved on. xD

tl;dr, I was an okay moderator back then. :P
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:02 AM
Fernando Torres
Class on grass
Community Supporter

I'd give warnings and yellow cards to anyone I think deserves a warning. I might even just PM them with a warning. If happen to find a rule breaker that was serious immediate yellow card and yellow, if possible :3

I'd do what I was told. No exceptions. Just follow the rules..
I'd love to do that.. Anyone else?
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:42 AM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
I kind of want to expand on the post that I made way back on July 2nd all of a sudden.

Yeah, I'm still quite a lenient mod as I've never really had any bad problems crop up in my area. Usually they're just things like posting spammy messages to hit 15 posts, which I usually just delete before PMing the member about it. 99% of the time they understand and apologize so things go on their merry way once again. I know some people prefer to give out official warnings rather than PM since it's easier to keep track of, but.. from personal experience I find that going with those right away might be a bit scary for new members. :( If for whatever reason someone ignored my PM warning I'd probably have to go with an official warning, though luckily that has yet to happen for me.

I'm not the type of person you can walk all over, though, I just do my best to be approachable and understanding.

pair clubs
family twin
my star
Old August 23rd, 2013, 03:28 AM
Falsever
Ayano

If I ever become a Moderator, I'll be a friendly and funny Moderator.
I think I have enough spare time to handle the duties.
I won't give infractions or warnings for a simple mistake, but I'll be strict.
I love giving out emblems and closing threads with my Rizlock.

-Theme-
Ayano Tateyama

-Links-
Showdown!
Hack
Ayano no Koufuku Ririon
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Old August 23rd, 2013, 03:41 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

If I was a Mod, I would want to be someone who people would have no struggle to approach with their queries and whatnot. I'd be friendly and probably "step up my game". If I notice any funny business, I would message the person politely telling them about what they have done, what they should do etc. I would issue infractions when I see fit, and probably wouldn't hesitate in doing so. I would want to rack up some fun things to do wherever I modded, get members together and involved.
Old August 24th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Magic

I like to think I give modding my all. I'm probably one of the more... prudish(?) of the moderators. I like to make sure PC is a nice/safe environment for everyone.

I try to be fair though, and I've rewarded a few people with emblems over my month or two in modship.
Old August 24th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Foxrally
Torterra = Epic Private Island

Nature: Naive
I honestly would enjoy being a moderator. I honestly think I'd be quite strict and straight-to-the-point as a moderator, not really going in too deep with a situation and warning a person only once, and after that infracting them if I feel they took my warning too lightly.

I honestly have no idea what it feels like to be a moderator.

Pairs - -
Old August 24th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Ray Maverick
Hit me up!
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Maverick
I'm a man of order and rules. If something doesn't go right, I get frustrated. I'd take great care of the forum I'd be moderator of, to keep it clean and intact, and promote it with ideas for further discussion. I'd respect the members of the community, and try not to seem superior to them just because I have a bold blue name. I treat everyone equally and just how I want to be treated; I would make sure to reply to their requests and inquiries at once, as I would demand of a moderator to do. I'm usually caring and nice enough to be concerned of their problems and offer solutions or advice to them.

If I was a mod, I would want everyone in my section to be happy and satisfied with it; breaking rules is what would ruin that. Now, I dislike it when someone breaks the rules (even though I was that kind of person, sometime) and would give infractions without second thought. If I judged that the person made a one-time mistake that would never be repeated again, I would let them off with a warning.

I'm the kind of person who'd break in between arguments and put an end to them. Arguments are discussions full of negativity, and they kind of bring back the forums when they appear. I'd gladly delete whole pages of posts in a thread where two people got involved in a heated argument, and give them two infractions for spamming.

"I'm surrounded by capable Pokemon who don't need me in battle. If they get themselves bloodied, and I am clean by the end of the battle, how long before they start questioning my bravery?"
- Garland Fordring, leader of the Exathian Gold Tribe

Old August 24th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
I'd be a mod who would be on the lookout for feisty arguments to stop and give out warnings to the users before I send an infraction if they do not listen. If I find a new thread made that's already been discussed at another thread that's not dead yet, I'll close it without hesitation since I always lurk throughout the forum. I'll be enjoying playing at the "Count Before a Mod Says Zero" thread, because I could troll the normal posters counting whenever I feel the need to.
Old August 24th, 2013, 01:00 PM
mucus
Moémon Master

Nature: Quirky
I would quickly resign, I don't want that kind of power~!
Old August 29th, 2013, 11:05 AM
AngelKeldeo

Nature: Modest
I'd mostly do that fancy profile stuff, rarely warn and infract. I don't want to punish people...
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Omicron
boom baby

Nature: Modest
Being a mod would certainly be a great experience. I've never mini-modded, but I always have had to contain myself because I am always on the brink of saying people their post is in the wrong section, ask them to tone down, telling someone to read the rules or the first post, etc. Maybe if I started doing it I would be considered Mod material.

I would be behind every one that broke a rule, sending PM's, closing threads and deleting posts. As many people have said before, I wouldn't give infractions very easily. I'd give a warning first most of the time, unless someone was being disrespectful towards someone else. That's something I can't tolerate. Being a mod would certainly make me post more. I'm online all the time I can and I probably am PC's number one lurker, hahaha. I look around many forums and sub forums and read a lot, but I rarely post. That's sad, I should post a little bit more, considering my time as a member.

Anyway, to sum it up: I would take my job seriously and wouldn't be too easy going. I am a very balanced person and I think that would show up in my work.
Old August 30th, 2013, 05:22 AM
Azure Rathalδs
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I'd probably try and stop any drama happening, as from past experience that's one of the worst parts of any forums. I would be strict yet fair when I have to infract/warn anyone if they break the PC rules and try and make it obvious when they go to far.

I'd probably find myself moving threads to different sections most of the time and I'd try to add to the discussion while doing so it doesn't break up the discussion.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here