The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Old July 6th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Draco Razr
Elite Dragon Trainer

Nature: Adamant

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsziede View Post
I'd bet that it will have a good attack stat (assuming it can learn Swords Dance)
Yes it can learn Swords Dance. "If you were to carelessly take this blade in hand, you may find that blue cloth wrapping around you...draining the energy from your body!" I was thinking that soldiers were using this Pokemon to fight each other in swordfighting. Haha if Pokemon were to use this Pokemon as a sword, DigiXros!

Feel free to chat/message me anytime, I love to talk!

Old July 6th, 2013, 07:30 PM
tente2
"Outta my way, dammit!"

Nature: Bashful
I mentioned it on the Pokemon-amie thread, but how would Honedge eat, exactly? It's been proposed that maybe it uses its sheath somehow, but... I'm trying to imagine it, and it still seems odd. Would the food just disappear as it makes crunching sounds, or what? XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_Woo View Post
Spoiler:
Honestly, the way that the fanbase has reacted to this Pokemon kind of sickens me a bit. The vast majority of people either started making childish genwunner comments or fanboying over it like an old cat lady would fanboy over a Harry Potter MMO. When someone says something like "I don't really like the design of this Pokemon", they would get attacked to no avail, being accused of being a genwunner and told they weren't allowed to voice their opinion on its design just because "gen one also had bad designs". Yeah, gen one had bad designs. So did 2, 3, 4, 5; gen 6 isn't any different. Why are people feeling the need to run around calling each other "untrue fans" just because they like or dislike a new Pokemon design? This happens with most new releases, but I feel like it's been insane with this one because of its obscure inspiration. We all really dropped the ball on this one as a whole.

^Me complaining about the way genwunners and newgenners have reacted to Honedge so far, read at you own risk^
I don't mean to contradict what you've seen on other places, but at least on this thread for the most part, people who haven't liked Honedge haven't been called out for it. c: Or where you talking about here specifically? XD
Old July 6th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Austin1395
Dark-type Trainer

Nature: Serious
I was very skeptical of it at first. I kept liking it and then disliking it and that was just within a few minutes. It has kind of grown on me a bit more to the point where I've thought about possibly using it on my team, which is weird since I'm a Dark type Trainer, and I have to say, I'm liking it. Especially when it is unsheathed. As it is though, I hope it doesn't have an evolution, or a pre-evolution. I think it's fine how it is.
Old July 6th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Mithel_Celestia
Alluring Illusion

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by tente2 View Post
I mentioned it on the Pokemon-amie thread, but how would Honedge eat, exactly? It's been proposed that maybe it uses its sheath somehow, but... I'm trying to imagine it, and it still seems odd. Would the food just disappear as it makes crunching sounds, or what? XD
I don't think it will even need to eat, considering it is a ghost-type. Also, there are other Pokemon who doesn't even look like they can eat or consume anything (ex. Magnimite)

Trainer Data:
Full Name: Mithel "Myth" Celestia
Hometown: Lacunosa Town
Trainer class: Ranger, Psychic, Deceiver*
Specializes in: Dark, Psychic-Types

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old July 6th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I must honestly say that I very much like Honedge. For starters, I'm just in love with its typing. A Ghost-Steel dual type is probably one of the most awesome combinations out there. Only weak to Ground and Fire. I'm kind of guessing that it's going to end up with Levitate for some reason, so if that were to happen it'd only have a Fire weakness. Defensively it's typing is fantastic, offensively not so much, but if it had the attacking stats to back it up it'd be awesome.
Old July 7th, 2013, 10:05 AM
j_Woo
Patnogonian

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
I don't mean to contradict what you've seen on other places, but at least on this thread for the most part, people who haven't liked Honedge haven't been called out for it. c: Or where you talking about here specifically? XD
I didn't mean this thread xD This forum is usually pretty good about opinion-based stuff c: I meant places like youtube, facebook, 4chan etc. Everyone is just kinda snapping back and forth with "you like it so you're a ******" or "you don't like it so you're a genwunner" it's pretty annoying

^Play these, they're mo betta^

Last edited by j_Woo; July 8th, 2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 7th, 2013, 10:59 AM
tente2
"Outta my way, dammit!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithel_Celestia View Post
I don't think it will even need to eat, considering it is a ghost-type. Also, there are other Pokemon who doesn't even look like they can eat or consume anything (ex. Magnimite)
But then what happens in Pokemon-amie? o--o
Old July 7th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
But then what happens in Pokemon-amie? o--o
They'll make movements like they are eating and the food will disappear. Its really not that hard to understand or picture. The game is for children, they won't care if it makes any sense.
Old July 7th, 2013, 01:42 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
As a kid I was always bothered by things like that...though I do think that's the way it'll go.
I hope that Honedge get's some decent ghost moves that match it's stats. I don't see it as a special attacker so shadow ball wouldn't do it much good...
Old July 7th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I'm kind of expecting a new kind of physical Ghost type move that Honedge would be able to use. Something like Shadow Claw, just...more powerful? Shadow Slice or Shadow Slash perhaps? It'd be cool for it to have some more useful physical Ghost type attacks that it'd be able to use (assuming that its stats lean more to a physical attacker, that is).
Old July 7th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Nature: Impish
Eh, I don't like this one at all. This generation is looking like a mixed bag at this point (to me, at least). I never really liked the whole "choose an object, make it alive, THIS IS YER NEW POGEYMAN" thing. Eh, at least (so far, at least) this generation doesn't look remotely as bad as generation 5.

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old July 7th, 2013, 06:10 PM
tente2
"Outta my way, dammit!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
The game is for children, they won't care if it makes any sense.
I've always felt that was a poor excuse (apart from the fact I wouldn't say Pokemon is a game "for children"). You can't wave off laziness in design (in this case, Honedge eating by simply making chewing sounds without any further explanation) simply because people have the preconceived notion something has to be incredibly stupid for it to be appealing for little kids. Like Magmaruby & Aquasapphire said, I as a child was always irked by holes in logic like those. Not only that, but media can be entertaining for younger audiences while still providing depth for older ones; Young Justice (the first season, anyway) comes to mind as an example.

Even if Gamefreak ends up taking the easy way out (they probably will, I do admit), I wouldn't like it, hehe.
Old July 7th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
I've always felt that was a poor excuse (apart from the fact I wouldn't say Pokemon is a game "for children"). You can't wave off laziness in design (in this case, Honedge eating by simply making chewing sounds without any further explanation) simply because people have the preconceived notion something has to be incredibly stupid for it to be appealing for little kids. Like Magmaruby & Aquasapphire said, I as a child was always irked by holes in logic like those. Not only that, but media can be entertaining for younger audiences while still providing depth for older ones; Young Justice (the first season, anyway) comes to mind as an example.

Even if Gamefreak ends up taking the easy way out (they probably will, I do admit), I wouldn't like it, hehe.
It is neither lazy nor is it an easy way out. Do they need a reason to explain it? No they don't. It being for children isn't an excuse either. The target audience for Pokemon has been, and forever shall be children. Its made for children whether the target that buys it remains the wanted target has absolutely nothing to do with it. Them not going out of their way to explain something that needs not to be explained isn't them being lazy. Whether or not you like how they do it is irrelevant. They don't need to explain it. All they need to do is have them move as if they are eating. Its appeared in games in the past even if they aren't all by Gamefreak.

Having to go around and exclude the Pokemon just because a few people don't like it is an unnecessary exclusion and not worth the time and effort to go through and exclude those Pokemon from the Pokemon-Amie coding.

You get to pet Pokemon. I haven't seen anyone complain about being able to pet Rotom or Slugma in Pokemon-Amie either. Rotom is pure Plasma while Slugma is supposedly made of lava if not as hot as lava which would still make it too hot to touch...then you have Ferroseed who is full of spikes and Grimer/Muk which is poisonous sludge that is supposed to be dangerous (yet Pokemon can "bite" them without any harm happening)

There have been many inconsistencies that make less sense, this isn't even worth wrapping our heads around it because its not that big a deal. It doesn't effect the game play. As for eating...I'd like to bring up Pokeblock and Poffins. They had to eat those before...its no different now than it was then.
Old July 7th, 2013, 11:25 PM
piefara
human

some pokemon can just not eat. it isn't very hard!

some pokemon in amie don't even make sense like ferrothorn and gastly how can you pet them?
game freak are smart (usely) they will think of something
Old July 8th, 2013, 02:23 AM
Airhead
Banned

Nature: Quirky
Um... that is pretty stupid. A ghost sword jumping at you in tall grass. I mean, how dumb! >:c What the heck's hell would somebody do with that? And wouldn't it just slice off other Pokemon's body parts during battle?

Stab Pikachu in the guts, cut off Hitmonlee's arms and when it jumps on it's trainer, expecting a hug, well... there is one less trainer in the world. xD
Old July 8th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gym Leader Rozu View Post
Um... that is pretty stupid. A ghost sword jumping at you in tall grass. I mean, how dumb! >:c What the heck's hell would somebody do with that? And wouldn't it just slice off other Pokemon's body parts during battle?

Stab Pikachu in the guts, cut off Hitmonlee's arms and when it jumps on it's trainer, expecting a hug, well... there is one less trainer in the world. xD
Its no different than running into s Scyther back in Gen 1 who has two swords for arms and can be found in various ways in the wild. What would someone do with it? I dunno...catch and train it for battles. Gamefreak also won't do anything graphic. Not that nothing similar hasn't been done since Gen 1.
Old July 8th, 2013, 03:56 AM
shadowdueler474
Muffins for all!

I sorta like Honedge. The design is very meh to me but, the typing is cool. I hope that there will be much more ghost types this gen.

Old July 8th, 2013, 04:40 AM
Mithel_Celestia
Alluring Illusion

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gym Leader Rozu View Post

Honestly, ^this does irritate me a bit, but I understand your discomfort. Something sharp can obviously lead to dismembered parts an all that, but considering that there are many others that have parts that technically could ripped you apart in unpleasing ways. Mawile, for example, Deceiver Pokemon, crush you in it's jaws. Scyther, dual-blade wielding mantis. This isn't technically new to the franchise and Game Freak can but in whatever is need for them. No one else is complaining over the existence of Scyther and the like.

Trainer Data:
Full Name: Mithel "Myth" Celestia
Hometown: Lacunosa Town
Trainer class: Ranger, Psychic, Deceiver*
Specializes in: Dark, Psychic-Types

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old July 8th, 2013, 04:41 AM
nimbo
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nature: Naughty
Eh...maybe it'll grow on me, but right now I am not liking it at all.
Old July 8th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Kyrul
Long Live The Note
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
I think this is new pokemon is Nintendo's way of converting all japanese kids into samurai's. Just like the ice cream pokemon making American's fat and the trash bag pokemon becoming detroit.

On a more serious note. The design is not bad, at least they are trying something different. I kind of like the idea of a ghost sword.
Old July 8th, 2013, 07:51 AM
thedhp

I'm actually pretty disappointed in the type. I really wanted to see a fairy/steel Dragon buster based off of a Knight. This would have been a perfect lead in to it. Starts off as a sword and ends up a kick butt Knight. Just sayin'
Old July 8th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Lance
Pokémon Champion

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
I'd like it more if the fact that it's a ghost possessing the sword was a little more obvious, design wise. More ghostly, less inanimate object.
Old July 8th, 2013, 12:42 PM
thedhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I'd like it more if the fact that it's a ghost possessing the sword was a little more obvious, design wise. More ghostly, less inanimate object.
Have you seen the pictures of it out of its sheath? It's pretty ghost-like then. I like it that way a lot better actually. It makes it seem more Pokemon like and less like a random sword.
Old July 8th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
I normally don't like pokemon that are based on inanimate objects, but I love this one. I think it is really cool that it is a possessed sword. Its original owner could have been a knight or a warrior :3 I also really like its typing and the design on its sheath.
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Iqid Loopz
Hail HYDRA! Long live the SITH! Team LANNISTER!

IMO it's eh and shows me that their running out of ideas for Pokemon XD But I need to give it a chance. It looks like it could be more affective in a double team battle. One Pokemon can use this Sword Pokemon on the opponents. Or triple battle IF they reveal a shield counter part.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here