The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: The Most Difficult Gym
Rock type gym 1 1.18%
Fighting type gym 5 5.88%
Electric type gym 10 11.76%
Fire type gym 3 3.53%
Normal type gym 18 21.18%
Flying type gym 3 3.53%
Psychic type gym 42 49.41%
Water type gym 3 3.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 2nd, 2013, 06:59 AM
BubbleBeams
Defeating Champions Since 1999

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to BubbleBeams

Advertise here
Every playthrough I do of that game, I always find myself getting stuck for a while on Winona. Her Altaria and her Skarmory always manage to get me.

Norman can be difficult but I can usually get past him within a couple of tries if I don't beat him the first time.

Not Winona, though. I have to fight her multiple times on most playthroughs before I can move forward. I need to be more willing to grind up levels I guess. lol

&
Ultimate Monotype Challenge: Ground
LeafGreen (8/8)|HeartGold (0/16)|Emerald (8/8)|Platinum (5/8)|White 2 (0/8)

Paired with ShadowExcadrill
Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:58 AM
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

I had trouble with Norman and Liz & Tate. My strongest Pokemon were weak to Liz * Tate's Pokemon so I had a really hard time there. Norman's Pokemon were also pretty bulky so it was hard to kill his Pokemon especially Slaking.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 08:00 AM
Andrew
멘붕

Nature: Relaxed
Tate and Liza always gave me the most trouble. Claydol always destroyed my team with earthquake and then Psychic is a ridiculously strong move that took out a lot of my HP. Whenever I beat them, it usually comes down to luck or the AI slipping up and not using the "I" part of its name.

Winona also indirectly caused me to break my first DS. I got frustrated and just tossed it aside on the ground, and then later stepped on it, breaking the screen D: I'll never forgive her for that. Lol

Pokémon Y:
FC: 2165-6285-6760
Name: Sapphire
Safari: Dark (Pawniard, Cacturne, Sableye)
Old August 4th, 2013, 09:50 AM
The Fourteenth Doctor
The little... Daleks

Nature: Quiet
On my current play through of Emerald I found Wattson the hardest as I didn't have access to a ground type pokemon so had to train my team harder than normal.

John Hurt:What I did, I did without choice

11th Doctor: I know

John Hurt: in the name of peace and sanity

11th Doctor: But not in the name of the Doctor

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Paperhat545
The Pokémon Master

Brawley was always the toughest for me, relatively speaking. His Machop's karate chop always seemed to do me in
Old August 6th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Gogofreak
Touhou and Pokemon Fanatic

Nature: Jolly
When I was doing the poll I forgot about Tate and Liza! I had trouble up against Flannery because I chose Torchic.
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Hikamaru
the hamster
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Norman for sure, he showed me why most Normal-type gyms are menacing. His Slaking is so powerful (due to having Legendary-level stats) and don't even think of status'ing them because it makes Facade become really strong enough to destroy you. He's a nightmare if you don't have a strong Fighting-type.

And unlike what the poll is saying, I didn't find Tate & Liza that hard. Their team has a lot of Water and Grass weaknesses, but I did hear in Emerald they are pretty darn tough. But still most of their team can be destroyed by Water and Grass-types.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | credit | supporter

Old August 7th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Darkrai666
ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai

Nature: Lax
Okay..So All I used to play in 2010 Is RSE So I played it about 13 times and finished upto Battle Frontier anyways
Roxxane: Too darn Easy
Broly: He was a lil tough Because of his makuhita Which had A really great attack
Electric Type [Watson Something] : Easy as sh it
Flannery: The maze in her gym was tough But Shes easy to beat
Norman: I usually started with torchic So Blaziken By then and If you get Lucky His Slaking starts well Slaking and His vigorath is tough
Flying Type: That was well Easy considering I always Had a electric Type
Psychic Type: This was horrifying It was so hard to get to them and they were just too strong I eventually Finished them off with Slot save
And Juan: *Shivers* I had no problem IN beating his Pokemon Except Milotic and KIngdra Milotic kept on recovering and Kingdra was just hard to beat

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.

Last edited by Darkrai666; August 7th, 2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Typo
Old August 7th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Infinite Latios
Champion

Nature: Impish
Here's how I rank them in difficulty for the latest playthrough. I had a certain team with glaring Fire, Electric, and Flying weaknesses in my latest run. Keep that in mind.

1. Tate and Liza. I HATED fighting these two. Calm Mind + Psychic caused a lot of problems. The Elite Four were easier than these guys.
2. Brawly. Only thing saving me there were my trusty Bug-types, who became liabilities as soon as Wattson, Flannery, and Winona came around.
3. Wattson. Magneton gave me a lot of trouble since I didn't have anything to really damage it. But, Shedinja came through for me. But like all non-Grovyle pokemon, I eventually boxed it.
4. Norman. He wasn't actually as difficult on this particular run than he was on others, even when I picked Torchic. This is thanks to my trusty Swellow. 8 HP. Linoone had reduced it to 8 HP. But, Endeavor saved me. One Quick Attack from Grovyle and Slaking was down for the count.
5. Flannery. Not as difficult as you might expect. But, at that time, I had ditched Ninjask and Dustox, adding Koffing and Wobbuffet to my team. Wobbuffet was the key here. Torkoal pretty much killed itself.
Also 5. Winona. By the time I fought Winona, I had edited my team even further. Only two members of my original team, Grovyle and Swellow, remained. Swellow and Wobbuffet once again proved their worth. Not the first time they helped me. Skarmory and Altaria became much easier because of those two.
6. Juan. Sceptile and Walrein made quick work of him.
7. Roxanne. I like Roxanne, but does ANYONE (who doesn't pick Torchic) have trouble with her?

And there is my synopsis of my gym battles.
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Pryze
Moonwel ot cosidme

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Pryze
Wattson always gave me a run for my money, especially that Manetric of his.
Old August 8th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Clawvile

I hated Normans Slaking. It took 2 tries for me to defeat that thing. Probably because I didn't get a fighting type. But I over-trained and I destroyed him after my losses.

The legend of golurk: Pokeflute of time
Old August 10th, 2013, 07:32 AM
clefable919

Whenever I chose Treecko, Brawly was always a huge problem. for me. My best move would be absorb still on my Grovyle and Arm Thrust would wreck me.
Old August 11th, 2013, 08:02 PM
ErikaInRainbowCity
Everyday I'm Tumblin'

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefable919 View Post
Whenever I chose Treecko, Brawly was always a huge problem. for me. My best move would be absorb still on my Grovyle and Arm Thrust would wreck me.
OMG I had the SAME exact problem whenever I chose Treecko it was terrible ;_;

I actually was going to say Tate & Liza (which i hastily voted for in the poll) but after thinking about it I remember I had TONS of trouble with Juan in Emerald because of his stupid, stupid Kingdra

PhotoSYNTHESIS
Old August 12th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Meaii
The countdown begins ...

Nature: Gentle
Liza and Tate are my life long enemy. :L I was around 5 levels higher than their Pokémon, but I still got wrecked around 20 times until finally my Mightyena managed to pull out a Bite (yes, I had a Dark type and it still took me 20+ attempts)

23 days until~
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Starlight angel
icebreaker

Send a message via Skype™ to Starlight angel
phycic pokemon really the hardest even the twins on pokemon sapphire i cant get pass them they are the hardest ones to defeat then the other gym leaders
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Shizzable
The Derpiest One Of All

Nature: Jolly
Flannery. Not only was the puzzle annoying (and reminiscent of Sabrina's gym) but she wrecked me because I hadn't caught my water type yet.
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:03 PM
SomaQL
The Varia Suit

Nature: Modest
I would just like to point out that Watson is just really overpowered. You can't effectively get past his magneton unless you've picked Torchic, caught and trained a Makuhita, Breloom, or hacked in a pokemon. Really annoying fight

Active Challenges:
(Single Solo Challenge: Kanto)

Finished Challenges:
| |

(Single Solo Challenge: Hoenn)
(Single Solo Challenge: Johto)

Schrau wrote:
Bear in mind that most Metroid games (especially the Primes) are survival horror.

At least from the perspective of the Space Pirates.
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Lucky1Yena
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomaQL View Post
I would just like to point out that Watson is just really overpowered. You can't effectively get past his magneton unless you've picked Torchic, caught and trained a Makuhita, Breloom, or hacked in a pokemon. Really annoying fight
You can also choose Mudkip and evolve it into Marshtomp. Protection from that nasty Shock Wave is always nice.

Anyway, the gyms that gave me problems were the Fighting and Psychic gyms, and in Emerald the Water gym too.

Well, the psychic gym was hard until I discovered you can easily win with the Dark Types in the game - pretty nice they give you some early on.

The last 2 gym puzzles were irritating too.
Patiently awaiting final versions of these hacks: TheJohto Legacy series - starting with the most complete one, the Christmas hack, Pokémon Liquid Crystal, Pokémon Crystal Dust, Pokémon DarkViolet, Pokémon Prism
Old August 13th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

I know that a lot of people are going to say Tate and Liza were hard, but for me, they weren't. I had a Sceptile on my team. My Sceptile knew Leaf Blade, so I was able to defeat most of their Pokémon with the help of this move. The most difficult Hoenn gym leader was, in my opinion, Juan. He had a powerful Kingdra, which becomes nearly impossible to attack when it uses Double Team. Every time I manage to lower its HP, it restores itself back to full health by using Rest.
Old August 14th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Ruben967
Lights they blind me

Tate & Liza. That Claydol Earthquake got me tons of times and I couldn't do much to it >-<
Norman was quite hard too, that Slaking hits hard :/
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Feindseligkeit
Mew Mew!

Nature: Adamant
Wattson. Hands down. No ground types and his Magneton spammed Supersonic until it hit. And then the hit-by-confusion almost every other time. I hated it.
Old August 18th, 2013, 06:52 AM
mwuzatm

THAT DAMN OVERHEATING TORKAOL
Old August 18th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Pendraflare
I'm a...fireball.
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pendraflare
Norman. Those Slakings are just monstrous. He did have one of those Slaking replaced in Emerald, but Spinda can be just stupid with Teeter Dance and Linoone has that sneaky Belly Drum. D:
Old August 18th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Brizz
TM87

Nature: Modest
After doing a Fighting Monotype challenge in Pokemon Emerald, I can say that Tate and Liza were probably the toughest gym leaders I had ever faced in my life. Even without a Fighting monotype it's tough just to land any sort of super effective move on their Psychic types.
Old August 18th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Lucky1Yena
Just some guy

Here's a tip for those of you who struggle against Tate and Liza - Use Dark Types. Eliminate the Solrock first (or everything but the Lunatone in Emerald). The Lunatone can't harm Dark types in any way. Might take a while though, Calm Mind reduces the effectiveness of moves requiring the Special Attack stat. Which Dark moves were in generations 2-3.

Although if you're going for a monotype challenge, this may prove impossible unless said type is Dark (or grass. Remember Nuzleaf/Shiftry).
Patiently awaiting final versions of these hacks: TheJohto Legacy series - starting with the most complete one, the Christmas hack, Pokémon Liquid Crystal, Pokémon Crystal Dust, Pokémon DarkViolet, Pokémon Prism
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here