Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page Professor Sycamore

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Old July 11th, 2013 (05:23 AM). Edited July 30th, 2013 by Bluerang1.
pin pin

Nature: Relaxed
So our regional professor has been revealed to us. What are your thoughts about this character and which types of roles do you think they'll play in the game? Like how will they give us our Pokemon is at all? He will also battle us at times during the game which is definitely a first for regional professors!

Old July 11th, 2013 (08:14 AM).
wut?
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
As a lot of people have mentioned, he looks relatively younger than all the previous Professors. Perhaps he was a trainer and did competitive battling before deciding to go the route of being some sort of scientist or professor, thus the idea that we get to battle him from time to time.

I like his design, definitely has that look of a 'messy genius' sort of character.
Old July 11th, 2013 (09:03 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
It seems experiment with female professor did not work after all...
I would like to see new female professor... it would be interesting...

He seems to be Birch clone if you ask me...
Wonder how he's gonna be handled.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old July 11th, 2013 (09:41 AM).
♥ maraala ♥

Nature: Bold
Platane! What a cutie oh my. Love his design and the fact that he apparently battles you occasionally. I said something about his name in the other thread-
Quote originally posted by EternallyAnna:
My main focus was on the professor though haha. He's a cutie. Pretty young, too. Bulba gave his name as Plantae, so I looked that up and found some related European cultural history. I wonder if he's going to have a focus on medicine, considering that?
So yeah. A Pokémon Doctor? Might fit with the apparent life/death themes going on round these games. And if they were to change his name for English release, he's def Sycamore.

Also did I mention he's really cute? Competing with Birch already in my mind. (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

I'm not too fussed about not having a female professor tbh. I'd prefer a male prof and 5+ out of 8 gym leaders being female, plus a 50/50 E4.
Dwebble - #184
pairs - ama - gravity falls fc - minecraft
Old July 11th, 2013 (10:44 AM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
At least he's young looking, not another old man xD. Also him battling the player brings to mind how Oak was suppose to battle the player in RG but that part was cut out of the final versions, and wasn't even added in later unlike the female character in the remakes.
By the way has it been confirmed he's from the player's new home town? or is he like Rowan, from a neighboring town/city?

I think GF should give him a mom who is also a professor in order to make up for having Juniper share the spotlight with her father.
Old July 11th, 2013 (05:38 PM).

Quote originally posted by EternallyAnna:
Platane! What a cutie oh my. Love his design and the fact that he apparently battles you occasionally. I said something about his name in the other thread-

So yeah. A Pokémon Doctor? Might fit with the apparent life/death themes going on round these games. And if they were to change his name for English release, he's def Sycamore.

Also did I mention he's really cute? Competing with Birch already in my mind. (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

I'm not too fussed about not having a female professor tbh. I'd prefer a male prof and 5+ out of 8 gym leaders being female, plus a 50/50 E4.
This is the most likely name for him. I did look it up and Sycamore trees are also sometimes called "Buttonwood" trees, which almost sounds like a real name, but I don't see that happening, as it would be impossible to take him seriously.

Personally, I'm hoping that they'll do something more along the lines of a rookie professor. Perhaps one of the other professor's aides has finally decided to start working on their own, or something similar.
Old July 11th, 2013 (08:35 PM).
other in a month When you,

Nature: Jolly
Wasn't the English name from the rumors Patrice?

He looks more of a Patrice than Sycamore to me.

Challenges Completed:
The Favourites Challenge - Black 2 - 28/01/13
Old July 11th, 2013 (09:53 PM).
♥ maraala ♥

Nature: Bold
Maybe, but Patrice doesn't follow the tree-naming convention that seems to still be in place. I suggest Sycamore for the English simply because
Quote originally posted by Wikipedia:
They are often known in English as planes or plane trees. Some North American species are called sycamores (especially Platanus occidentalis), although that term also refers to either the fig Ficus sycomorus, the plant originally so named, or the Great, or Sycamore Maple, Acer pseudoplatanus.
[x]

And because Sycamore is more well-known as a type of tree than the French for 'plane trees'. (Platane, you know.)
Dwebble - #184
pairs - ama - gravity falls fc - minecraft
Old July 11th, 2013 (11:35 PM).
► My Happy Little Pill 
Platinum Tier

Nature: Lax
He kind of looks somewhere a little bit older than Professor Elm, but definitely younger than Rowan/Oak, and maybe around the same age as Birch? Either way, Platane is an awesome name, and aesthetically I love him. Maybe based on his age he's a bit experience, but still learning along the way with the protagonist? I do like the potential medicine focus as well, seeing as that's an entirely new angle than we've had in the past.
Old July 12th, 2013 (04:26 AM).
Lametrainer

He looks messy & young indeed, yet cuter than the other professors
I would like there to be a post-E4 sidequest in which you become the prof's aide & actually do research stuff on the field for him instead of just completing the dex, & maybe he'll jump in & help!
Old July 12th, 2013 (07:20 AM).
Villain

Nature: Hasty
Sycamore was confirmed and he definitely seems younger than most professors. He probably focuses on the strength of Pokemon (I'm not sure if another prof. does this) since he battles you throughout the game.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X | 3DS Friend Code: 4313-1107-3365
(PM me with your Friend Code and tell me if you have added me)
Old July 12th, 2013 (08:15 AM).
Silver Tier

Maybe he focuses on the different kinds of battles, we have yet to have a real professor who specializes in Battles.
Old July 12th, 2013 (08:31 AM).
Unburden Belly Drum
Crystal Tier

He is very handsome xD My favorite professor so far. I'm glad you can battle him and chat with him through the hologram system. He seems friendly; I'm more interested in what kind of team he'll have.

The official website said you'll meet him in Lumiose City. So I guess he won't give you your starter Pokémon directly. That will definitely be interesting.
Old July 12th, 2013 (09:34 AM).

It would be awesome if we were able to battle him, instead of just rating our pokedex he also rates our battle skills
Old July 12th, 2013 (10:40 AM).
Has a tendency to figure things out

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
Quote originally posted by Pokemon_Celestial:
It would be awesome if we were able to battle him, instead of just rating our pokedex he also rates our battle skills
He does battle you during the game.
And that may be what the battles are for, like a typical rival, just to see how good you've become.

and nice job EternallyAnna on the Sycamore prediction! I thought it would stay as Platane, but looking at your research, I completely understand it.

Wouldn't it be a crazy twist if he turned out to be the leader of Team Flare? I wish there was a game where the professor is actually the leader of the evil team. What a twist that would be. xD
Old July 12th, 2013 (03:21 PM).
Lametrainer

Quote originally posted by Darkrai Lv.1000:
Wouldn't it be a crazy twist if he turned out to be the leader of Team Flare? I wish there was a game where the professor is actually the leader of the evil team. What a twist that would be. xD
Exactly the kind of thing that would fit in a game like Pokémon yet GF won't do it because their target audience is still *sigh* youngsters.
Would love it to happen though, or just one of the rivals being from Team Flare instead.
Old July 12th, 2013 (06:32 PM).
Dark-type Trainer

Nature: Serious
You don't honestly understand how happy I am that the Professor actually does something this time other than give you the starter and tell you how many Pokemon you have seen and caught when you can do that on your own. Honestly it seems like almost all of character interactions are getting a boost. It seems like we will have closer relationships with our friends/rivals, the Professor will actually mean something this time around, I'm very excited!
Old July 13th, 2013 (08:59 AM).
Silver Tier

I think the professor should at least be the Champion. It's a twist I've been waiting for for many years. Considering he battles the player he's the best person for the position compared to past professors.
Old July 13th, 2013 (09:02 AM).
masquerade
Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Apparently we're supposed to revive a Kanto starter from him too.
Old July 13th, 2013 (09:07 AM).
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by Suicune™:
Apparently we're supposed to revive a Kanto starter from him too.
Well that's still a rumor, though I won't mind. I'm picking Bulbasaur if that's true . Also it discourages the chance for RGB remake remakes...
Old July 13th, 2013 (09:24 AM).
Has a tendency to figure things out

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
Quote originally posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire:
I think the professor should at least be the Champion. It's a twist I've been waiting for for many years. Considering he battles the player he's the best person for the position compared to past professors.
This would be a crazy awesome twist as well.
Old July 13th, 2013 (11:08 AM).
Dark-type Trainer

Nature: Serious
Honestly if the Professor was the Champion, I'd just be mad. Sorry if I offend you, but, that just sounds kind of moronic. He's a Professor, an occoasional battle to test where you're at and being Champion are different. Don't get me wrong I'd love for some crazy twist that just shatters everything I know but that just sounds kind of dumb to me. It's not like we haven't had the chance to get a starter from previous generations before after completeing some sort of task(s). HG/SS gave us the option to get a Kanto and Hoehn starter. Wouldn't discount it but I would rather be able to obtain a Sinnoh starter. Gen. 4 had my favorite batch of starters.
Old July 13th, 2013 (11:26 AM).
Trubbish in the Classroom

Nature: Hasty
Definitely the sexiest professor yet. I hear you can battle him, and that sounds kind of interesting.

Goals: Play with friends much more often, catch every Pokemon ever released, make my character resemble myself, breed excellent Pokemon and share with friends.

Old July 14th, 2013 (02:06 AM).

I love the idea battling him, maybe he can teach us the new types of evolution too?
Old July 14th, 2013 (02:25 PM).
is a Shrew

Nature: Lonely
Regarding whether the professor could be a champion, I feel as though being a professor is a career no different than being a ranger, contest coordinator, or trainer. In the past, only trainers and gymleaders could promote themselves into being a champion, in which their in-game title would change to match that. I don't think it'd be possible for him to realistically or by game logic maintain both positions at once.

But I wouldn't mind if he was.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links