The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

View Poll Results: Who is your Favorite R/S/E starter Pokémon?
Mudkip 51 41.13%
Treecko 43 34.68%
Torchic 30 24.19%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 22nd, 2013, 04:30 PM
ShockBlaze
Game Designer

Gotta go with Torchic. Fire type ftw.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:52 PM
Endless
& by looking through

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Endless
Personally, I really liked Treecko. It may not have been the cutest of all starters, but it was pretty cool-looking. And its second-stage evolution, Grovyle, looked even cooler. When Treecko finally evolved into Sceptile, it was able to get a major boost in its Speed and Attack. And after one Swords Dance, it had the chance to become a great physical sweeper—allowing it to wipe out your opponent's entire team single-handedly. d: The only thing bad about this Pokémon, though, was that it had a total of five weaknesses (fire, bug, poison, flying, and ice), which is a lot. But if you utilized Sceptile in a good way, then it should been able to overcome these weaknesses without any sort of issues.

Out the three starters, Torhic would have to be my second favorite. I just loved how adorable it looked, and the way that it stared at you with its shiny puppy eyes brought joy my heart in an instant. Plus, its final evo, Blaziken, had a variety of moves in its arsenal, which made it very useful when battling competitively. (:

Last edited by Endless; October 22nd, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 08:32 AM
Mentalii
Back

Nature: Gentle
Mudkip. When it reaches its final stade of evolution, the double type REALLY is a big advantadge. And, aside from that, I think Mudkip's the cutest.

Old October 27th, 2013, 11:23 PM
GreyVirgo
•=ØInfinityØ=•

Nature: Serious
On my first game on an Emulator I chose Mudkip and it was my first Pokemon that got to level 100.

Other Forums Im In:

EGC Account: Grey
PHO Account: XLR8
LV Account: Grey

"I love making out with lamps!" - Nigahiga
Old October 28th, 2013, 08:56 AM
outer space

Nature: Lonely
i am too much in love with blaziken to ever choose anything besides torchic!

fc: 2294-4843-0011
Old October 29th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Enderjay
hsssah!

Nature: Mild
My first Pokemon game that I really got into was Pokemon Ruby; so, my first Pokemon ever was actually a Mudkip. I actually still have the file, and the Swampert... ah, good times. Hoenn remains my favorite generation. I wish they'd bring back Secret Bases!

[SIZE="1"]- 2014 challenge -
Normal Fire Fighting Water Flying Grass Poison Electric Ground Psychic Rock Ice Bug Dragon Ghost Dark Steel Fairy
Old October 29th, 2013, 07:13 PM
tortillamuncher

Treeko always looked the coolest. You didn't reap the maximum potential benefit of it until it evolved into Sceptile though, which was thrice as cool.
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:36 AM
TheAmazingSpiderMan
The Burning Emotion

My favorite from R\S\E are all the starters didn't understand ? ok here i tell -

1) in design my favorite is Treeko, Treeko looks the perfect for me cause he look like a really tough Guy he always being serious just like Snivy of Ash, i like that kind of Pokemon but the problem is Treeko is very very bad at attack just good at Special defense and Attack won't make it win the league right ? so from power and and winning way i am not gonna choose it though but if all the gym and league got ultimate easy (Just telling) so i will definitely choose Treeko and evolving it to Sceptile look awesome for me ;p

Torchic : Torchic is a great fire type Pokemon and the cutiest Pokemon though i would like to Alter any my other game starter with it (By trading ) for it type i like Fire type very very very much cause my first starter was Charmander in Leaf green (My first pokemon game in GEN 3) and also cause when it evolve to Blaziken it look great.

Mudkip : Cause i like the Pokemon who are good in Attack and mudkip is the strongest between all the starters. It has abounded my hearth with many glorious Victory over gym leader and League members i really like it.

So as you see all the way i like all of them. I really like the Pokemon that are very kindness (In anime) and other thing i like are just the thing i write in my above.
Old October 30th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Pilkie
Pokémon Breeder

Nature: Quirky
My favorite starter has to be:

And not just because of the whole internet thing. When I got Pokémon Ruby (my first Advanced Generation game) I choose Mudkip. Mudkip/Swampert was the sole reason I was able to make it past the elite 4 and I have loved them ever since. I also really like Mudkip's design. It looks so cute. It also learns a lot of useful moves and being water/ground has its advantages. Gonna try and snag a Kip in my Pokémon Y when I get the chance, I want to have it along for the journey.

~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~
3DS Friend Code: 4399-0158-9260
(Note: Please PM me if you add me so I know it's a PC member and not a random)
Friend Safari: Ghost Type: Phantump, Lampent, and Golurk
Old October 30th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Blastin'Tyruntz
TeaM Spheal's favorite fossil

I did not read any messages. If i see one more person that syas: "I liek Mudkips" i swear to F'n god i will hunt you down and shove my GBA SP up your rectum so you can show me how much you "liek" mudkips.

But seriously....I hate mudkips. Every one of them.
I love Torchics though. It became fire\fighting before it was a thing.

I just saw the comment of the nice gyu above me. A message from me: Sleep.With.A.gun.

Fear me Humans!
Paired to some nice peoplez.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 07:28 AM
Olli
we keep this love in a photograph

I've always foudn it kinda hard to choose between the starters in this generation, because they're all amazing. I mean, the only one that really falls short is Sceptile, but it still has amazing speed to make up for it, and their standards are just sooo much higher than those of any other generations in my opinion.

The Treecko family would honestly get my vote if it all came down to design. I don't know why, but I've always found Treecko and its evolutions' designs to be rather... intriguing for a lack of better word. I don't know what it is about them, but I've just always liked their design. Perhaps because I thought it looked a lot cooler compared to both Blaziken and Swampert which I've admittedly found to be relatively ugly :( I know a lot of people love Blaziken, but I just never really saw the appeal in its design. So when it comes to design, Sceptile all the way!

As for battle performance, I've found Swampert and Blaziken to be kinda tied. Again, a lot of people love Blaziken, but I've always found Swampert to be both strong, as well as having an interesting and original typing. Well, I know, it's not that original, seeing as Quagsire also had it, but at least it's not Fire/Fighting! (yeah okay, it was a new idea back then, but that's also one of the things that made Blaziken so awesome :p) But yeah, they're both insanely strong, and can hold their own in battle. Well above Sceptile, whom I found to be kiiinda struggling in staying strong all the way through the game. By the time I reached the E4, even though it was a few levels above the rest of my team, it was definitely not the strongest, and only really helped me in the battle against Glacia, where its speed really helped take down the part Water types. And that was pretty much the best thing about Sceptile. Its speed was definitely something I loved, and was the main reason I initially picked it, but yeah, it still fell kinda short in comparison to the other two. So yeah, in battle performance, Swampert and Blaziken are kinda tied from my viewpoint.

And when it all comes down to actually choosing the favourite, I honestly reckon I'd have to go with the Mudkip family. Not only is it great in battle and has an interesting and unique typing, it's also generally very lovable. I know I said I didn't like Swampert's design, but I sure as heck like Mudkip's, just because of the cute and derpy, yet somehow strong looking dynamic. It's not like Torchic that just looks like a little weak bird, but turns out to be one of the strongest and most popular starters to have ever been made, but more like you know that you're gonna get something strong out of it. And well, you probably herd i liek mudkipz ;)
Old November 3rd, 2013, 01:14 AM
Empire
Ask me what I did with my life
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Empire
I could never understand all the Torchic hate, it's super cute and even though it's first form doesn't look so fierce, it evolves into an awesome Blaziken.

I have nostalgia of a 9 year old me and his Blaziken just ripping through the Elite four, I'm sorry I'm getting a little teary eyed. *wipes away tears*

Yes, Torchic it is for me. My first starter in Sapphire who coincidentally became my first ever Pokemon!
Old November 3rd, 2013, 03:08 AM
Lesqx
eRepublik Player

Nature: Quiet
First time I played the Emerald I picked Torchic, because i see Blaziken, but now I'm choosing Mudkip, awesome evolutions ( Swampert ), move's .. and Swampert look the strongest for me

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.

Last edited by Lesqx; November 3rd, 2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:29 AM
NecroPhysics

Nature: Quiet
I always used to pick Treecko but now I love teh Mudkips ;D
Then tell me, who was wrong?
Old November 3rd, 2013, 09:06 AM
Jet Pilot
I killed Spiderman.

Nature: Bashful
When I first got my dad to buy Emerald for my friend and I (I conned his girlfriend into buying two for like $160, it was amazing) we both decided to choose different starters, he chose Treecko so I went with Mudkip, ever since then he has been my favorite mainly because of his evolution's Water/Ground type. However I can't say I dislike any of Hoenn's starters. I've never had trouble with any of them, and I like all of their designs.

Do YOU want a spam section?
Vote for POKESpam2014.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 12:26 PM
Lord Scalgon
What title?

Nature: Brave
Send a message via AIM to Lord Scalgon
Mudkip. Not because of the meme, though. To be realistic about it, the typing is one thing (despite the only sole 4x grass weakness), and back in the 3rd gen days, in its fully evolved state, it was one of the biggest troll Pokémon I used against other opponents. Vividly remember treating this one as a CursePert...threw in ice beam as a form of surprise. At least, I knew what I was doing with this.

YouTube (mostly uploads of bullet hell shmups) || Extreme Perplexity - Dodging Hell (demo game created by me)
[may need voice actors for my puzzle game...VM me if interested]
Old November 3rd, 2013, 03:18 PM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
The Hoenn starters are the best trio, love all three of em! However when first playing Sapphire I chose Torchic, and for that reason my vote goes to Torchic! All of them are awesome though.

Old November 3rd, 2013, 04:00 PM
Batty

Nature: Bold
I hate all of them, in typing and design. Blaziken has competitive value these days from Speed Boost, but I really just don't like any of them.
Worst starter designs ever, IMO of course.
Old November 9th, 2013, 03:29 AM
RimasLT
My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to RimasLT
Grass Grass & more Grass :D

I always chose between Treecko & Mudkip - They're both are awesome but the for a final form I choose Sceptile family - they're so badass looking .

Old November 9th, 2013, 10:41 AM
PokemonMasterOfSkeetendo
A ROM Hacker since 2013

Nature: Relaxed
My favorite is Treecko,even my favorite type is the fire type. But i always hack the game and get all the 3 starters.
Old November 9th, 2013, 01:03 PM
pokemonranger109
Jirachi Know-It-All From Birth

Location: Beside the Yolo guy in Kanto. (He said it before it was cool)
Nature: Quirky
Never really played r/s\e, but either mudkip, or treeko.
Old November 11th, 2013, 12:26 AM
Heartouch
Bokura no Memory
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Heartouch
I'm going with Torchic because it's cute, and its evolution Blaziken looks very strong.
PC Family | PC Blog | EGC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old November 11th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Pike Queen
La Exorcista

Mudkip by far. Took me through the whole game with no problems. <3

Banner made by a friend on another forum!

"What an excellent day for an exorcism."

If you play Mario Kart Wii or Brawl online, let meh know!
Old November 12th, 2013, 04:50 AM
walakatapia
z.1004

I picked torched because Blaziken looks cool. I hate those guys saying Blaziken sucks and is overrated or sceptile is the only awesome Pokemon in this gen or swampert because Blaziken looks ugly. I think all of them are cool and used all of them at different versions of gen 3, but you can't say you hate them because you think that it is not cool or overrated. Everybody has their own favorites. I aint saying that the others are not cool or nice but since the game came out, I picked charmander, which is a fire type and picked fire type starters since then, that's why the vote goes to torchic, my favorite. I'm not a big fan of the sixth gen fire starter though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batty View Post
I hate all of them, in typing and design. Blaziken has competitive value these days from Speed Boost, but I really just don't like any of them.
Worst starter designs ever, IMO of course.
y u say hate? u want die?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? just kidding but don't say hate cause I never said hate on the sixst gen starters(specifically the fire type final evo, looks really lame and girly) Greninja is cool though.

Last edited by walakatapia; November 12th, 2013 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:28 AM
psychomew2
Rank 1: Otsdarva

Nature: Rash
My vote goes to Mudkip. Throughout my playthroughs of ruby I have found it the most usefull. Water/ground typing really goes a long way. On top of that, I happen to be one of those weird guys who goes with water the most often, rather than the more common fire. Until gen 4 I always went through a region the first time with a water type.

On the matter of my argument with Idankingo I admit to being too fast to anger and assuming the worst too quickly, and apologize for any unpleasentness caused because of it.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links