• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

[Dead] Pokémon Evoas

Status
Not open for further replies.

th3shark

Develops in AS3/C++
Years
Pokemon Evoas has been taken down by Nintendo. A preview is no longer available, and progress has been indefinitely halted. Read more here.

fHFnBWo.png

Introduction
Pokemon Evoas is a unique reinterpretation of the classic pokemon formula, with a new battle system, overworld, and other various tweaks to make the game feel more refreshing. It's being made completely from scratch, without the aid of a ROM hack or RPG Maker. This gives me the freedom to make many revolutionary changes to prior games, thus creating an original and exciting pokemon experience.

6cwAsBB.png

Features: (Warning: there are a lot. It would likely be easier to just play the preview linked below)

Spoiler:

The most interesting new mechanic, however, is brink mode, which works as follows:

• If a pokemon faints when fighting ruthless trainers or pokemon, the player can choose to keep it in battle and continue fighting. When this happens, the pokemon musters up some HP for the battle and enters an extraordinary state known as brink mode.
  • All stats for a pokemon are increased while its in brink mode.
  • However, if a pokemon loses all HP again while in brink mode, IT DIES. Dead pokemon cannot be revived by any means. Use caution when deciding whether or not a pokemon should enter brink mode.
  • With a few exceptions, entering brink mode is completely optional. Likewise, it will be possible to complete Evoas without a single pokemon dying.
  • Brink mode cannot be activated in friendly battles against ordinary trainers or wild pokemon.
  • Many secrets surround brink mode. Will you be able to utilize brink mode to its maximum potential?

Spoiler:

TL;DR: Brink mode is a high-stakes risk/reward mechanic. In some circumstances, you can force a pokemon to continue fighting after it faints in battle. But if it falls again, it dies, and can never be revived.

Story/Premise: (Note: graphic is a bit outdated)
Spoiler:

Software/Engine
The game is being developed with Adoble Flash CS5.5 and the programming language ActionScript 3. Paint.NET, ShoeBox, and Audacity were used for creating and tweaking certain assets. The Evoas battle engine is a completely original engine created by me in AS3.

Screenies
Spoiler:

Recruitment
Any help I can get regarding sprite work or music would be much appreciated. PM me if you're interested in contributing!

Credits
Program/design by th3shark (also my reddit username)
Concept art by DeviantArt user joy-ling.
Pokemon sprites by DeviantArt users JoshR691 and akizakura16.
Custom music by reddit user wk2012.

I also post updates for Evoas on reddit.com/r/pokemonevoas!

Thanks for reading, and I hope I've piqued your interest for the Evoas project!

Last edited:

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 15, 2024
This is the type of innovative experience that should be noticed.

Everything about this little demo I played is truly what I imagined battles to look like in sprite-form. There's a hurt sprite, idle sprite, and I swear I saw Mantyke get ready for his Body Slam! I truly adore these little things, and I beleive that a big project like this will get pretty popular if you can pull it off!

Also, I love the "techniques" that your Pokemon can do. When I first saw the foe's Metang turn itself into a weapon for his partner, I literally restarted the whole demo just to use Metang myself :D

I'll be keeping an eye on this, and support it as well.

EDIT:
If you can, can you move the up and down arrows to the same side where the attacks are? I find it rather tedious to move to the opposite side just to cycle through options.

th3shark

Develops in AS3/C++
Years
Glad you liked it Sunfished, and thanks for the support!

You can cycle through the options by dragging them too.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
This is pretty good.
Would be better if there was a larger selection of characters.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
I highly approve of this battle system, and so does my fiancé.

But, the overworld tiles are cringe-worthy, it looks to saturday-morning cartoony.
I would suggest making pixel based tiles like actual pokemon games.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I highly approve of this battle system, and so does my fiancé.

But, the overworld tiles are cringe-worthy, it looks to saturday-morning cartoony.
I would suggest making pixel based tiles like actual pokemon games.

the problem I have is how the OW player's look, if they were drawn in a similair way it wouldnt be as bad, but they are out of place in that kind of scenery (im judging from screenshots, I havent tried it yet)

th3shark

Develops in AS3/C++
Years
Thanks for the feedback! The vector graphics in the overworld was an experiment attempting to make the overworld stand out more from other pokemon games. But since even response from my peers towards the new art style has been negative, so I'll be reverting back to using pixel graphics from the official games.

SinfulGuroRose

Ignore me, I'm socially inept.
Years
Awww; I for one really liked the contrast between the graphics and the overworlds. I'm curious, if you switch to pixel graphics, will it still have the same collision properties as it has had?

But I'm really pumped for this! O wO The overhauled battle system is fantastic, I really love the sprites, and I'm just over all fangirling. Wonderful work! <3

th3shark

Develops in AS3/C++
Years
Awww; I for one really liked the contrast between the graphics and the overworlds. I'm curious, if you switch to pixel graphics, will it still have the same collision properties as it has had?

But I'm really pumped for this! O wO The overhauled battle system is fantastic, I really love the sprites, and I'm just over all fangirling. Wonderful work! <3

Haha you're the first to like the overworlds! Again, I'm still experimenting with the art design, so nothing is set in stone yet. My current plan on the matter is to move the vector style graphics from the overworld to the battle backgrounds, and use traditional sprites on the overworld instead. The contrast between the vector backgrounds and pixelated NPCs/pokemon was intentional, but I think it could be put to better use in the battle window. And yes, the collision properties are staying no matter what visual style is used :)

Glad you enjoyed the battle system! That's what I'm focusing most of my attention on anyway for Evoas. I'll try to post updates here more frequently!

Years
Whoa! An amazing battle system AND a curious storyline! The combo moves and Brink Mode are especially interesting, can see many possibilities there...

You might have changed them by now, but two things irked me in the demo. One, the player can be pushed around by the last trainer when he walks around; and two, when selecting which Pokemon to use an attack on, the camera doesn't move to your ally. That confused me when both the enemy and I had Combees.

As far as graphics go, the vectors need work and they clash with the sprites. However, where most people want you to stick with the sprites, I have the opposite view. If improved, using vector graphics for everything could look amazing, and make Evoas really stand out amongst the myriad of fangames using sprites. The downsides are it'd probably take even more effort than sprites, and depending on how you've got animations set up, it might be more complex. Don't know how much it would affect file size, either. Anyway, just an idea.

If you are still looking for help with the graphics, I'd be interested in assisting. I'm a fairly competent spriter (although I haven't touched a Pokemon style in ages), Flash is one of my go-tos for drawing, and I've studied animation (mostly with Flash) for a year. PM me if you'd like some examples.

Anyways, I'll watch Evoas's progress. You've really got something cool here! :D

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Looks nice i have never seen a pokemon game like this
This pokemon game is very good
That new battle background and attack effects super good
And good presentation of this pokemon game and info

th3shark

Develops in AS3/C++
Years
Version 0.0.3 release!

I'm very excited about this. After 7 long months, the game's foundation is made, and all the basic mechanics are implemented. Try out the linked 30-minute preview!

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Hi there! I've just finished the preview of this game, and loved it! I hope you finish this game!

Brink Mode is very interesting. Game Freak should consider it for Gen VII or VIII.

I do have a few questions, though. I've seen Beedrill in the Pokedex inbetween Combee and Vespiquen. Does that mean Beedrill is the male evolution for Combee?

Some Pokemon won't show up in the Pokedex. For example, Vulpix, Minccino, and Clefairy don't show up.

I've also seen Gloom and Raichu in the wild, but not Oddish or Pikachu. What happened to them?

Oh, and can Mantyke now evolve without the need for Remoraid?

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2016
Aww, damn tj3! You beat me to the Pokecommunity thing! (it's suzey-poo)

This looks great, by the way!

th3shark

Develops in AS3/C++
Years
lol I can't believe you haven't posted to pokecommunity yet man. I know Ray's all over the place here.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Hey there! I saw your game on the "What's Hot section of DA so I gave it a try. It was a pretty interesting concept and I really enjoyed the preview! I really like the ability to run from trainer battles which is something I always wanted to do in a real Pokemon game. The idea of combo moves is something they should do in a future game. I had a problem where I accidentally hit the Start menu key on my keyboard and could move after that, but that was easily solved once I saved and restarted. I would be interesting to see this as it develops . Good game and very different than the normal Pokemon game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back