The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 5th, 2013 (03:13 AM).
Zero°
Mirai Nikki
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zero°
I use it cause it just takes WAAAAY too much time to build my competitive team without it. I mean who has the time to breed for moves and IVs or natures and etc., you have to be super dedicated for all that lmao. And I really don't care if people have Pokemon that are legit or not, as long as their Pokemon is using legit moves(not Caterpie with Spacial Rend) and as long as their stats are legit I wouldn't really care about anything else, so what if someone caught a Shaymin in Route 1? It'll still have the same stats as any other Shaymin, give or take a few depending on IVs and nature. I mean hey it saves a bunch of time so why not use it, lol. As far as gameplay goes, I never use it on my first playthrough of any Pokemon game. But once I've beat the Elite 4 and captured some Legendaries I'll use codes like "100% Capture Rate" and sometimes "Shiny Wild Pokemon" if I'm looking for a Pokemon that has a shiny form I like. That's pretty much it.
Old August 5th, 2013 (03:21 AM).
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
I pity them for their ignorance and impatience. They are simply getting a negative perspective of the game by not playing it properly.

A game it thought to be extremely hard, unless you've legitimately played it.

I neither encourage nor discourage such actions, as I have used them personally a few times.

I try not to dwell on it too much, lest I may start using them too.
Old August 5th, 2013 (08:04 AM). Edited August 5th, 2013 by Aeroblast.
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Who cares if they're "cheating"? It's just a game, owner of the game has the right to do anything he or she wants to with the game, whether it's playing legitimately, playing with action replay, smashing it with a hammer, or eating it for all I care.
Old August 5th, 2013 (08:27 AM).
Comet7
Star of the show

I wouldn't blame anyone for using it. Who likes farming shards for moves? I don't. Just don't hack impossible things. Ex: Rapidash with Hydro Pump.
Old August 5th, 2013 (08:43 AM).
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
My first reaction to this was "people who use AR are pretty much just cheating the game". Then I read other's posts and realised I agree... as long as said people aren't cheating this Pokemon to use competitively or anything, it's fine. Not everyone will have the time to train Pokemon, and I can totally understand that.

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Little Big Planet 3

☆ Currently playing: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and Shovel Knight

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old August 5th, 2013 (08:52 AM).
Water Gym Leader
Arlyn Aquos
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Water Gym Leader
It okay as long as no one is using Wondereyes (Sableye with wonder guard) or Wondertombs.

3DS FC: 0903-4056-8403
3DS XL FC: 0404-6887-6558
~~DIVING DEEP~~ (A Water Pokemon Fan Club)
Old August 5th, 2013 (01:57 PM). Edited August 5th, 2013 by Starlight Sprite.
Starlight Sprite
Resident Moon Fairy

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Starlight Sprite
I divide AR users, or rather hackers in general into three distinct categories.

1: Those who cheat to get the perfect Pokemon, items, etc and then pass themselves on as "legit" Trainers online.

2: "Offline hackers," who either cheated to speed through the story or to obtain items, complete their Pokedex, etc without intending to play with hacked things online. This may even be justified, such as obtaining event only Pokemon from a past event or of one they couldn't attend.

3: Those who hack to create funny and / or more challenging experiences. Perhaps a code to increase the levels of all NPCs' Pokemon by 20 to make the game harder.

I'm mostly against those in the first group, as they accomplish what could take legit players months of careful training and breeding. The other two I have no issues with. I have a friend with an AR and thanks to him I am the proud owner of a Magikarp with 999 in all stats and Hyper Beam. I don't use it however, I just keep it for laughs.

Gym Leader Korrina
Old August 5th, 2013 (04:47 PM).
Silais
Princess of the Law

Nature: Quiet
If the person is using the Action Replay to get Lvl. 100 shiny Pokemon with all special ribbons and every great TM imaginable, then I don't really have much sympathy for them. But if they're using it for a special challenge, then I'm a bit more lenient.
Old August 6th, 2013 (04:00 PM).
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

I don't mind if people use them. It is their decision and I personally don't see an issue as long as you aren't trying to claim hacked Pokemon as legit. I only use one if doing a challenge that requires hacking in Pokemon, but I only do that with an emulator. I'd never use one on my games.

"By force of will!"
Old August 6th, 2013 (04:44 PM).
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

I have no problem with anyone who uses them. As long as they're not trying to trade their hacked Pokémon with me, I'm fine. xD As I kid, I used to play around with Action Replay a lot. Now, I don't use these kind of things at all. They just take the fun out of the game. In my opinion, you'll end up feeling very proud of yourself if you can successfully raise a Pokémon the way you want to without the use of any cheat codes.
Old August 8th, 2013 (01:31 PM).
atomtanned

I use an Action Replay -- I've been playing Pokemon with a "cheating" device since R/B/Y.

There's a couple reasons I use it, and some restrictions I have for myself.

1) Events. I don't have time or the motivation to go to a Toys R' Us always, and I think it's really stupid for me to miss out on stuff just because I didn't get around to playing a certain game until years after.

2) Speed. As an older player (I'm 25 years old) I really just don't have a lot of time to play. I have a full-time job and lots of other commitments, and I like to have a social life too. I'm a perfectionist by nature, and I train every single Pokemon I catch. So I usually use a 2x or 4x EXP code. Because otherwise, it would take me years to beat one game the way I like to play.

3) Convenience. I've never had many friends who were into Pokemon, so I've never had many friends to trade with. Sometimes, if my brother has had a different version, we've been able to trade, but otherwise, if something is version specific, I will hack in an egg or something like that.

4) Cloning. I worked hard to have a full Pokedex on my Gen III games. I'd still like to be able to use Pokemon in the Battle Frontier there, but also be able to use them in my newer games.

Really, what it comes down to is that this is a video game! If you're using a cheating device for your own personal play, who cares? It's supposed to be fun. If someone's idea of fun is hacked Pokemon so they can breeze through the game, good for them. I personally don't like the game to be easy, so I only use hacks that will make gameplay faster than it normally would, or to add enhancement to my game (like events). I don't like to actually "cheat".

But when people trade hacked Pokemon for something someone put a lot of time in, or totally beat up someone with non-hacked Pokemon in battle, that's when things get unfair. I think the system is perfect as it is now -- there are checks to prevent people from getting taken advantage of, and players who want to change the way their personal game is still can do so.

Friend Codes
X: Serena {2638-0348-2480}
Y: Allyson {2638-0348-2480}
HeartGold: Lyra {3526-6386-3822}

Challenges:
Pokemon Y Wonderlocke

tumblr || backlog

Old August 8th, 2013 (02:02 PM).
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Nature: Lonely
As someone who never battles online, plays for Pokédex completion and buys all the games to trade with himself (I like being in control of how my Pokédex completion is going :P ) , I don't care at all if other people use cheating devices.

I don't use them myself, but I think I might for one reason, and one reason only: event Pokémon for past gen games. I recently finally completed the National Dex in my Gen 3 games (I know, it's like half the current Pokédex, but oh well) , there are two blank spaces in there and I don't like it :) . Other than that, I like catching my mons the legit way, cause that's where the fun is.

Friend codes:
Electric-type Safari: 4468-2370-5617 (Electrode - Pikachu - Galvantula) | Dark-type Safari: 1134-8222-3179 (Nuzleaf - Cacturne - Liepard)
PM before adding. If you don't mention which code you added, I will NOT add you back.
Old August 8th, 2013 (02:22 PM).
jfuze174
Elite Trainer Joey

Nature: Calm
Doesnt matter to me I use AR codes for small stuff like getting charmander and pichu in regions where u can't get them with out trading . Plus like someone said early I won't have the time to train breed or even go shard hunting just to give my pikes a certain move . With that said I have no sympathy for cheaters if your using it to get an edge on the competition Nintendo should ban you similar to Xbox live banning you if you cheat on COD or something. But if you use something like a WPM or level multiplayer I don't Mind

Safari Grass: PanSage - Maractus - Sawsbuck
Old August 9th, 2013 (03:14 AM).
molivious
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Who cares if they're "cheating"? It's just a game, owner of the game has the right to do anything he or she wants to with the game, whether it's playing legitimately, playing with action replay, smashing it with a hammer, or eating it for all I care.
Pulling out the logic of your post, it's like saying no one cares if you rape or kill or "play" with your neighbor's wife and daughter since you live in a free, democratic country. People still have to keep a fair and moderate responsibility for their actions, especially if they're bound to trampling over someone else's "rights", or "morals" if they overdo whatever they're doing. Don't forget, most people play games for entertainment. While one may find hacking as "fun", some others may not, especially if they're on the receiving side.

The issue is more about "is it fair? and if so, to what extent?", than "should cheaters burn in hell?". Generally, most people simply hack for convenience - they are actually free to do so. Now others simply don't do it because that's what they think is right. Be it their ego, morals, pride, or sense of challenge, there should be no big deal.

However, some just abuse it to seriously and intentionally trample over others, I guess, and that's where the messy stuff begin. To cite some examples in the entertainment industry (games, CDs, etc), there's a reason why there's always a "Fair Use" section for any EULA or "Terms and Conditions" stapled in some corner. Basically, we still need a list of "limitations" to keep the world in peace.

Nonetheless, your post would've been totally acceptable only if Pokemon simply never involved online or competitive battling altogether. Same goes with: if there was only one person living in this world (or in your household/apartment/neighborhood), there would've never been any limitations or rules or laws to follow.

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.
Old August 9th, 2013 (03:56 AM).
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtanned View Post
I use an Action Replay -- I've been playing Pokemon with a "cheating" device since R/B/Y.

There's a couple reasons I use it, and some restrictions I have for myself.

1) Events. I don't have time or the motivation to go to a Toys R' Us always, and I think it's really stupid for me to miss out on stuff just because I didn't get around to playing a certain game until years after.

2) Speed. As an older player (I'm 25 years old) I really just don't have a lot of time to play. I have a full-time job and lots of other commitments, and I like to have a social life too. I'm a perfectionist by nature, and I train every single Pokemon I catch. So I usually use a 2x or 4x EXP code. Because otherwise, it would take me years to beat one game the way I like to play.

3) Convenience. I've never had many friends who were into Pokemon, so I've never had many friends to trade with. Sometimes, if my brother has had a different version, we've been able to trade, but otherwise, if something is version specific, I will hack in an egg or something like that.

4) Cloning. I worked hard to have a full Pokedex on my Gen III games. I'd still like to be able to use Pokemon in the Battle Frontier there, but also be able to use them in my newer games.

Really, what it comes down to is that this is a video game! If you're using a cheating device for your own personal play, who cares? It's supposed to be fun. If someone's idea of fun is hacked Pokemon so they can breeze through the game, good for them. I personally don't like the game to be easy, so I only use hacks that will make gameplay faster than it normally would, or to add enhancement to my game (like events). I don't like to actually "cheat".

But when people trade hacked Pokemon for something someone put a lot of time in, or totally beat up someone with non-hacked Pokemon in battle, that's when things get unfair. I think the system is perfect as it is now -- there are checks to prevent people from getting taken advantage of, and players who want to change the way their personal game is still can do so.
You have good points. I think everyone who uses their AR in a restrained way probably thinks the same.

I quit using mine because I heard of possible damage to the games but I'm still skeptical about it. I had a Gameshark for N64 back in the day and the codes never harmed my games at all. However, I never use codes like walk through walls which CAN break the game if not used properly.

I also believe PokéGen doesn't harm the game as long as you create a legal Pokémon.

The problem is that GF really forces us to use it. To have a complete Pokédex in BW2, for example, you'll probably need 4th gen games to transfer starters and legendaries from, if you don't want to beg for Pokémon online. To stand a chance in competitive battling, you'll need perfect Pokémon, which are easily attainable with an AR. And, to get more TMs (in 4th gen and older games) and evolutionary items beyond what the game offers, you'll need an AR. I remember in 4th gen games there were only one or two of the new evolutionary items, with NO possible way to get more. So if you wasted your Protector on a badly EV trained Rhyperior, you were done and couldn't get another one. Ever since 1st gen, GF has made it hard to get evolutionary items. In 2nd gen it was ridiculous as there was only ONE of each Stone (excluding Moon and Sun Stones) in the games (Crystal fixed that in a very gimmicky way). In DPPt there's only one Up-Grade and only one Dubious Disc, with no way to get another. I don't know why they do it, but it certainly forces people to cheat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaniOKh View Post
As someone who never battles online, plays for Pokédex completion and buys all the games to trade with himself (I like being in control of how my Pokédex completion is going ) , I don't care at all if other people use cheating devices.

I don't use them myself, but I think I might for one reason, and one reason only: event Pokémon for past gen games. I recently finally completed the National Dex in my Gen 3 games (I know, it's like half the current Pokédex, but oh well) , there are two blank spaces in there and I don't like it . Other than that, I like catching my mons the legit way, cause that's where the fun is.
Easy way, buy the "main" games, then the rest you download the ROMs into a DSTWO and take your Pokémon from that... Not recommended if you're not into piracy... But yeah, trading with yourself is costly but pays off.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!
Old August 9th, 2013 (04:41 AM).
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
I've always used an action replay, always have, always will. I limit myself to what I use it for, though. I only use it for game enhancing codes such as x2 movement and instant messages; and on occasion, x2 EXP if I'm struggling. Sometimes I may even use 100% catch, rebattle trainers and all items but mostly I just use the x2 movement and instant messages.

Oh and I like to use the instant shaking grass/dust cloud etc for BW2.

As for people who use them; it's their game let them do what they want. If they want to use the device for activating codes that basically make the game pointless (complete the Pokedex etc) and could possibly corrupt the data let them do it. No one has any right to judge others for using a cheat device.
Old August 20th, 2013 (08:40 AM).
Sheep
fix my modesty

Nature: Timid
I don't really care since I used to be an AR user myself back during the Diamond & Pearl days. People are free to do whatever they want so long as it doesn't negatively affect my or anyone else's gameplay.

da best | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 LV
Avatar & Signature by Achromatic
Old August 20th, 2013 (10:38 AM).
White Glint
Anatolia's Ace

Nature: Bashful
As long as I don't see some guy rocking a Jolteon with Quiver Dance in their moveset and Multiscale as their ability, I say let them do whatever. From a competitive aspect, it just takes too long to EV Train, get perfect IVs (Or certain IVs for certain Hidden Power types, which is even LONGER), getting the right nature...

It's just too much. A lot of these reasons are why I just use GTS Uploaders, or battle on online simulators (unless my friends happen to be too lazy to want to use the computer based stuff, or legit cannot), because the time invested really isn't worth it in the long run IMO.

"You are trespassing on Line Ark territory. Pull back immediately...or we will respond with lethal force."
Got a Facebook? Come say hi!
Twitter is also welcome. Note: Probably more vulgar, NFSW, and Fighting Game related!

Old August 20th, 2013 (11:21 AM).
TreeKangaroo
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nature: Naughty
I really don't care, since it's not hurting anyone. And besides, I have one, and use it for say events I missed. And I used mine in HG/SS for the coins in the game corner. I'm not wasting time in voltorb flip just for 10,000 coins!
Old August 20th, 2013 (12:03 PM).
Altair
Incognito

Nature: Brave
Well, this is my opinion...

I think it is unfair that people use cheats to obtain the 'perfect' Pokemon, get max items, level up easily, etc.
To be honest it kinda confuses me how some people think they can't win if their Pokemon isn't 'perfect' seriously...
It isn't how the game is meant to be played as a whole. It's giving AR uses an advantage over people who play the game by the rules.
Cloning is another thing I have a problem with, people trade off their Pokemon who will never be seen again for another one yet the other person has doubles...

Of course it takes a lot of time to accomplish things like EV training and breeding but it isn't that hard at all. People who use cheats can never 'feel' their accomplishments since they know they used a device to help them obtain whatever they want. I guess that is a fair trade though. People shouldn't feel 'pressured' to cheat either.

I've never used a cheating device and I never will, it's unnecessary and takes the fun out of the game in my view. I'm not bashing on anyone who uses a device, just saying that I dislike the convenience it gives to players compared to people who play fair.

All that being said, I don't mind versing someone who used an AR to get all their Pokemon 'perfect', shiny and what not. But I do mind if someone trades me a hacked Pokemon. There seems to be a lot in circulation these days. Again, just making it clear that I don't have anything against people who cheat, just stating my opinion.
Old August 20th, 2013 (12:57 PM).
Sling
Thanks for contributing

As long as they're not spamming others with hacks, people can do whatever the hell they want with their pokemon games. Therefore I don't have any negative opinion on them.
Old August 20th, 2013 (03:09 PM).
Lulu
Yep, that tasted purple.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
I only use Action Replay when I really wanna get certain Event Pokémon that I missed(like the Spiky-Eared Pichu) or when I'm supposed to hack something in for a challenge, like a Pokémon of my chosen type if I can't get one in game by the 3rd Gym in a Monotype (that usually applies to types like Ice and the less common ones that usually show up late game tho xD)
Oh and sometimes when I get fed up of playing at the Game Corner or when I'm in a hurry and got no time to spend on the game corner. But I try not to abuse that one
Oh and I used a code that shows your Pokémon's EVs and IVs on HG/SS when I first EV trained a team, because I couldn't keep track of it due to my short attention span.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer_Altair View Post
-snip-
Most people RNG for those "perfect" Pokémon. I haven't really met anyone to use AR to get flawless Pokémon before so I think you're a tad confused because RNG abuse is not the same thing as using AR xD RNG abuse is basically knowing your numbers and abusing the random generated numbers thingy or w/e xD

"The best path between two points is upside-down, between, then inside-out and round again."
Old August 20th, 2013 (03:30 PM).
Altair
Incognito

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by KagamiChan View Post
Most people RNG for those "perfect" Pokémon. I haven't really met anyone to use AR to get flawless Pokémon before so I think you're a tad confused because RNG abuse is not the same thing as using AR xD RNG abuse is basically knowing your numbers and abusing the random generated numbers thingy or w/e xD
I'm aware of that, but not all people know how to RNG (myself included), so they'll use an AR to obtain Pokemon with preferred IV's, shiny and what not...
Old August 20th, 2013 (03:39 PM).
Emburn
<3

Nature: Bashful
I don't really like when People use action replays. The game was designed to be challenging and designed to be played a certain way. I'm not gonna stop you from using it, but if you can't play it correctly and then say how great you are, I don't think I will respect you.
Old August 20th, 2013 (10:06 PM).
pompayyy
Forever and Ever

I like using action replays for fun, not cheating. In HG/SS there's this code that allows you to change your character's sprite into a Pokemon or NPC (haven't found one for Zangoose ) and there's one that puts all areas in the Lighthouse-like 3D perspective, both of which are TONS of fun to mess around with. But using them to just skip to level 100 or stuff like that is lame.

Pink Moon is on its way.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links